Home
I've had really good luck with Kimber Montanas through the years but am curious on other rifles. I may be in the market. I'm not opposed to building one either. I've run into a few issues on hunts over the years. Had the old style M70 trigger fail to pick up the sear, had a magazine spacer in a Kimber pop off, had a M700 trigger freeze after it fell in the snow, etc. Im not inclined to bash any brand, rifles are simple machines and can break/malfunction on occasion.

My goals are almost always the same: 7.5-7.75 lbs with scope, dependable in the backcountry, stainless/synthetic, and stock with 1/2" to no more than 1" drop at heel. 5/8" is about perfect. Prefer 23" barrels, wont own another over 24". I am biased toward Mauser style extractors but AM open to push feeds. I want MOA or better from my hand loads.

I've owned a couple Browning Stainless Stalkers back in the day and was not real impressed with some of the parts. I've owned more than a few Remingtons and generally had good luck. I really like Win M70s but they tend to fail the weight limit and trying to find an aftermarket stock is a challenge. Kimbers have been good to me but want a bit more weight in their larger offerings. I've never owned a Tikka/Sako, Christenen, newer Browning, or Weatherby. I do see most of the last mentioned have lighter models seemingly designed for backcountry hunting. Some have 26" barrels which I find burdensome in the field.

Alot of rambling to say - what are you all using in the backcountry? How durable/dependable have they been? Any comments on the backcountry models from Christensen, Weatherby, or Browning? Have the MOA guarantees been valid with a bit of prudent handloading?

Thanks.
Originally Posted by bwinters
I've had really good luck with Kimber Montanas through the years but am curious on other rifles. I may be in the market. I'm not opposed to building one either. I've run into a few issues on hunts over the years. Had the old style M70 trigger fail to pick up the sear, had a magazine spacer in a Kimber pop off, had a M700 trigger freeze after it fell in the snow, etc. Im not inclined to bash any brand, rifles are simple machines and can break/malfunction on occasion.

My goals are almost always the same: 7.5-7.75 lbs with scope, dependable in the backcountry, stainless/synthetic, and stock with 1/2" to no more than 1" drop at heel. 5/8" is about perfect. Prefer 23" barrels, wont own another over 24". I am biased toward Mauser style extractors but AM open to push feeds. I want MOA or better from my hand loads.

I've owned a couple Browning Stainless Stalkers back in the day and was not real impressed with some of the parts. I've owned more than a few Remingtons and generally had good luck. I really like Win M70s but they tend to fail the weight limit and trying to find an aftermarket stock is a challenge. Kimbers have been good to me but want a bit more weight in their larger offerings. I've never owned a Tikka/Sako, Christenen, newer Browning, or Weatherby. I do see most of the last mentioned have lighter models seemingly designed for backcountry hunting. Some have 26" barrels which I find burdensome in the field.

Alot of rambling to say - what are you all using in the backcountry? How durable/dependable have they been? Any comments on the backcountry models from Christensen, Weatherby, or Browning? Have the MOA guarantees been valid with a bit of prudent handloading?

Thanks.

It sounds to me like you ought to build one. I have a Christensen Mesa. I just did a little more shooting with it over the weekend. It's an easy MOA performer. It did have to go back to the factory for a new ejector spring. The turnaround time was incredibly fast. Complaints about Tikka and Weatherby are very rare. I don't know what they offer with a sub 24" barrel though.
Sounds like you need to try a Tikka.

Depending on scope and mounts, you may make the weight limit with a M70 XTR Winlite or a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness/Backcountry.
Originally Posted by TomM1
Sounds like you need to try a Tikka.

Depending on scope and mounts, you may make the weight limit with a M70 XTR Winlite or a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness/Backcountry.

Tikka is a good choice and more economical than other options
I've had a few Tikkas in my hand. They fit me fairly well and seem to recall they have plastic trigger guards? And detachable magazines? I'm not a fan of either but they've been around long enough now I'd be curious how the plastic/polymer has held up to CroMagnon treatment (I'm not real gentle with the equipment).

The Christensen has my interest. I do recall a few QA/QC issues years back and wonder if they have been resolved.

I'm open to Weatherby's now that they have something other than the Mark V and mirror finish stocks and 10 lb rifles. I know folks that have used the Vanguard with no complaints but the people using them aren't what I'd consider backcountry hunters.

A bit more on what I'm chewing on - simplicity. I've been reducing the herd in recent years and am eyeballing a 2 rifle battery - elk size and bigger, deer size and smaller. For cartridge's, I'm thinking 300 WSM for elk+ and a 6.5 PRC for deer size. A 30-06 and 6.5 or 30-06/270 are also considerations. The 30-06/270 is attractive not because they do everything perfect but because they are available everywhere. I've considered the 1 rifle battery but shooting a 100 ln pronghorn or deer with a 300 WSM seems a tad much. I previously owned a Kimber 270 and it covered most of what I needed to do, currently have a Kimber 280 AI but its a tad on the light side with 160-175 grain max loads.
...For cartridge's, I'm thinking 300 WSM for elk+ and a 6.5 PRC for deer size. A 30-06 and 6.5 or 30-06/270 are also considerations. The 30-06/270 is attractive not because they do everything perfect but because they are available everywhere. I've considered the 1 rifle battery but shooting a 100 ln pronghorn or deer with a 300 WSM seems a tad much. I previously owned a Kimber 270 and it covered most of what I needed to do, currently have a Kimber 280 AI but its a tad on the light side with 160-175 grain max loads.

Several years ago I bought a Ruger .30-06 from CDNNsports.com for a wedding gift to a SIL. It was a synthetic-stocked/blue Hawkeye with a 20" barrel. Daughter sent me a scope for it, which I mounted and sighted in. Love that rifle - light, very handy, Ruger rugged, sturdy stock and accurate. If I didn't already have three .30-06s I'd get one. CDNN still has them for $499.

A note on the stock. I hate flimsy synthetics. I have two of the Ruger synthetics like this and like them a lot. Nothing flimsy about them

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U#.X42IX9BKiUk

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
...For cartridge's, I'm thinking 300 WSM for elk+ and a 6.5 PRC for deer size. A 30-06 and 6.5 or 30-06/270 are also considerations. The 30-06/270 is attractive not because they do everything perfect but because they are available everywhere. I've considered the 1 rifle battery but shooting a 100 ln pronghorn or deer with a 300 WSM seems a tad much. I previously owned a Kimber 270 and it covered most of what I needed to do, currently have a Kimber 280 AI but its a tad on the light side with 160-175 grain max loads.

Several years ago I bought a Ruger .30-06 from CDNNsports.com for a wedding gift to a SIL. It was a synthetic-stocked/blue Hawkeye with a 30" barrel. Daughter sent me a scope for it, which I mounted and sighted in. Love that rifle - light, very handy, Ruger rugged, sturdy stock and accurate. If I didn't already have three .30-06s I'd get one. CDNN still has them for $499.

A note on the stock. I hate flimsy synthetics. I have two of the Ruger synthetics like this and like them a lot. Nothing flimsy about them

https://www.cdnnsports.com/30-06-hm77rlfp-20-syn-ultra.html?___SID=U#.X42IX9BKiUk

30INCH barrel? I assume you mean 20?
I snagged a CDNN Ruger too, but if he's really determined not to go over 7.5# scoped, these are too heavy.
If you are truly going to limit yourself to two main rifles that you'll use, I'd recommend building. Costs more, but limits the concessions...

As far as cartridge choice, if you are set on the 300WSM for the elk+, I'd look for a chambering that has a very similar trajectory to your favored load. For example, a 6.5 Creedmoor 130gr bullet or a 270 150gr bullet would track very similarly to a 180gr of same make out of a 300 WSM.
All of my light mtn rifles are M700's. Mtn rifles with the skinny bbls can be found, lightweight stocks are easier to find (and sometimes less expensive), so are various parts--TA, bottom metal, etc, and more of them can be found in SS.

I've used alot of Rugers and really like them. I've yet to own one under 8 lbs, even with a light scope. With an SHV, theyll weigh closer to 9lbs.
I’d suggest Tikka or the newer Browning XBolt line.

I’ve owned several T3s and they were all under MOA with just about any load and they held up well. I just recently got a Browning Hells Canyon Speed and there is a lot to like about it. Time will tell if it hold up but the accuracy and light weight boxes are Checked off.
A few of these have hit the fields and the reports are good. It checks all of your boxes but it has a 22" barrel. Of course about 0% of the people who would consider a custom end up with a Savage. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57577
Paul - thanks for the link. I hadnt considered a Savage. They are the red-headed step children of rifle looneys but I know a buddy of mine has weather warrior or some such name. He swears by it and has killed several animals on guided hunts. I'll have a look. Thank you.
Paul - thanks for the link. I hadnt considered a Savage. They are the red-headed step children of rifle looneys but I know a buddy of mine has weather warrior or some such name. He swears by it and has killed several animals on guided hunts. I'll have a look. Thank you.

I have NEVER been disappointed by Savage. I think if I were to start over with no rifles, I'd build a completely Savage arsenal.
7lbs. 2oz

[Linked Image]
Kimber rifle, add weight in your scope.
My 280ai is 7#s flat with a 3-18x44 scope and cheek rest.
16 - is that a Tikka T3X Superlite?
Originally Posted by Nashville
Kimber rifle, add weight in your scope.
My 280ai is 7#s flat with a 3-18x44 scope and cheek rest.

I have a Kimber Montana 280 AI. With a 23 oz Burris Veracity and Talley LW, it weighs 7lb 1 oz.
tikka or a fieldcraft if you can find one
Yep, Kimber Montana while you can still get one 👍.....Good hunting...Hb
16 - is that a Tikka T3X Superlite?

Plain Jane 30-06 T3, Talleys, Leupold 6x42. It’s 7lb 10oz with a SWFA SS in LW’s and just a hair more with the Sportsmatch rings.
I would also add fieldcraft to your list.
Sounds like your requirements are already filled. I take it you’re just looking for another toy with equal requirements?
BWinters, you are ready for a custom build!!
That works. I need to go handle a Tikka.
Sure! What action to use for said build?
I'd like a bit more rifle weight for a 280 AI. I did intentionally tone down my loads in my AI.
I had a 270 Montana with that same scope/rings, it was a peach. 6lb 8oz. Probably should have kept it.

Oh well...
Sure! What action to use for said build?

Defiance AnTi would be a great place to start. TT, #2 of your choice, and whatever handle floats your boat smile
How about a NULA?
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
How about a NULA?

OP wanted full stainless; but I would agree and it’s my
go to. I did have rust after 10 days of this year’s sheep monsoon.
Originally Posted by 16bore
I had a 270 Montana with that same scope/rings, it was a peach. 6lb 8oz. Probably should have kept it.

Oh well...

I had one too but unfortunately 'donated' it to a crackhead in Kansas City a couple years ago.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
How about a NULA?

OP wanted full stainless; but I would agree and it’s my
go to. I did have rust after 10 days of this year’s sheep monsoon.

I like NULAs but know another guy with the same issue when he hunts coastal areas.

Sako 85 finnlight = weight wise.. put a Mcstock edge on it.
Of those mentioned so far, I've owned and still own one or more of the following: Tikka, Hell's Canyon, Fieldcraft, custom on Remington 700, Kimber Montana, Kimber Alpine, and maybe a couple of others that have been mentioned. They have all done what I wanted, what you want and more. There is one that is glaringly missing from these threads, in my opinion. That is the Bergara Premier Mountain Rifle. I have one in 308 and am currently looking for one in 280 Ackley. It gives up nothing to those already mentioned except maybe a little weight; but, not much. If you can find a deal on one I think you would be happy. I'm extremely happy with mine. Oh ya, keep a look out, if you can find one, for a Howa Alpine Mountain rifle. You definitely have a lot of options and have been provided a lot of good options in this thread already.
It’s easy to add weight to a rifle, expensive to remove weight. If you’re looking for a new toy, no justification needed. If you’re just wanting a little heavier rifle because of recoil, I’d just add some weight to your current 280.
I bought a used like new in box Marlin XL-7 in 25-06 it is a blued one with black syn stock( Injection molded ) . These Marlins came with their own scope base (picatinny style) so all a guy has to do is drop on a used set of Weaver rings and a scope, Bore sight and bench it. Wallah your ready to go. Didn't need to overhaul the bedding , trigger, crown, finish or anything and with ammo loaded for another one of my 25-06's it shot moa and less. Maybe because I spend less I'm easier to be satisfied. $212 for the rifle $10 for the weaver rings and $50 for the Vari X lll used of course. Yup less than $300. I spent less and got more seems like you wanna spend more just to get what you think your entitled to. You and I don't have the same values but that's ok and I'll stick to mine. Magnum Bob
The Tikka is a good call. I used the Mountain Tactical aluminum bottom metal on mine. It works very well with the factory magazines. I didn't weigh the two but I doubt the weight change is worth mentioning.
look at a weatherby vanguard s2 backcountry.they come factory gray cerrakote and are fairly light for a vanguard since the barrel is fluted. they won't be as light as a tikka superlite but within a half pound i'd figure.
good luck,
Big Ed
Lots of excellent thoughts on this thread. I have homework cool Thank you all!
I've run into a few issues on hunts over the years. Had the old style M70 trigger fail to pick up the sear,

Did you determine what caused the trigger failure?
Mostly me I think. When I adjusted the trigger pull, I apparently didnt tighten the 2 nuts down enough on the trigger spring. They worked loose and didnt provide enough spring tension to engage the sear every time.
Thanks.
Lots of excellent thoughts on this thread. I have homework cool Thank you all!

Something to factor into your thinking. -

The Canadian Rangers who consist mostly of native Americans have been equipped with SMLE 303 rifles for decades because of their reliability under harsh conditions and ability to perform with minimal maintenance. After extensive trials the rifle chosen to replace them was the Tikka T3 - that says a lot for the T3 IMO.

A couple of decades back I had some interaction with some of the Canadian Rangers and saw first hand how their rifles were treated - let me just say that if you have been on a reservation and seen what it looks like then it will give you a good idea of their rifle care.

drover
Thanks d - I hadnt heard that.
Taking everything you said into consideration...

For the smaller caliber rifle, I’d go Tikka T3x, in .308 or 6.5cm.
As for the plastic trigger guard, if it bugs ya you can always swap it out for an aftermarket metal one. Plug n play, easy to install. There’s a couple different companies who make em, here’s some made in Montana-
https://tikkaperformance.com/Tikka-T3-T3x-Bottom-Metal

For the larger caliber rifle(and to scratch that Mauser style CRF itch)... I’d track down a Ruger M77 Hawkeye all weather ss. They’re easily found(both new & used) on the online auction sites, gun shows, and some retailers still have em in stock.
(Although that CDNN one lists as a 20” blued barrel, most of the stainless versions I’ve seen are 22”+).
Whichever caliber you like. I’m fond of 30-06 myself.
Thanks for the link - I wasnt aware anyone made bottom metal for the Tikka.

I really like the looks of the Bergara Premier Mountain. Why not more standard cartridges is a bit perplexing but it's their company. I'd think they could sell a few more with a 30-06 and 270 as standard offerings.

I really like the looks of the Bergara Premier Mountain. Why not more standard cartridges is a bit perplexing but it's their company. I'd think they could sell a few more with a 30-06 and 270 as standard offerings.

Bergara Premier Mountain .270

https://grabagun.com/bergara-barrels-bpr18-270f-mountain-rifle.html
Bill- drive up to Smoky Mtn Knife Works and check out the Bergara and the Tikka Superlite that they have. They had the Bergara Premier Highlander in 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC today when I stopped in. They had 4 or 5 of the Tikka Superlites with the Roughtech stock on the shelf. I didn't look to see what all the calibers were but they were there.

Here's one that happens to be for sale in Tennessee. I don't know the guy at all; but, I love the rifle as it is the twin to mine:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...n-1-0-308-w-663-test-target#Post15321099
Will do. Thanks!
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Several years ago I bought a Ruger .30-06 from CDNNsports.com for a wedding gift to a SIL. It was a synthetic-stocked/blue Hawkeye with a 30" barrel. Daughter sent me a scope for it, which I mounted and sighted in. Love that rifle - light, very handy, Ruger rugged, sturdy stock and accurate. If I didn't already have three .30-06s I'd get one. CDNN still has them for $499.

30INCH barrel? I assume you mean 20?

Yes, 20". Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected the original; post.

I was recently on a search for a medium light weight 30-06 and landed on the Bergara Premier Mountain. Since they were discontinued, I e-mailed Bergara and asked if they would be releasing a long action standard bolt face version with their Premier Mountain 2.0. They responded the next morning stating, no, they had been discontinued due to lack of sales.

I ended up locating a new/old stock rifle at a gun shop in Utah and had it sent up. I have only had it a few days and have not shot it yet, but overall impressions are very good. The biggest complaint is the weight is slightly higher than listed spec. My rifle weighs 6#-8oz. Listed weight is 6#-3oz.

As a couple other posters have noted there are still a few .270s to by found. I didn't find any .280AI's and only found the one 30-06 when I was in search mode. One minor thing to be aware of, the first two years of production used Timney triggers and had a round top receiver. These have D and E letter prefixes in the S/N's. The third year of production (F prefix) and new 2.0 version used Triggertech triggers and have a milled rear bridge on the receiver to accept Remington 700 scope bases.
Good info. I wasnt aware they were ever made in standard cartridges. Thanks!
Sounds like a Husqvarna 4100 restocked in carbon fiber would sure meet the requirements. Bulletproof dependable and about the right weight.
I've owned a number of rifles from Winchester, Ruger, Remington and Weatherby and I currently own four Christensen Arms which I like very much for out of the box function and accuracy. But, to answer your question, my specs would be a Remington 700 action (or clone), a carbon fiber barrel by Proof or similar and a stock by Manners, McMillan or AG all assembled by a qualified smith. I just don't see how you could go wrong with this combo.
Accurate rifle's for back country use? What do you call accurate? In the right hands a 30-30 lever action might be just the thing. In other hands anything less that a full blown custom long range custom rifle might be needed, In the vast majority of situations a rifle grouping 1 1/2" at 100yds off a bench is more than accurate enough. Well only in theory I guess as I like my rifle's to give 1" or less. Most of mine go into much less than one inch and a rifle that won't make 1" generally goes down the road. My one exception is my 1903 Springfield built by Paul Jaeger in1945. The original owner shot a lot of military ammo through it with corrosive components and the barrel is pretty badly pitted. Still get 1 1/4" out of it and it was my elk rifle while I was still hunting. Killed three elk with it the longest shot just over 200yds! three shot's three down elk! But the rifle itself is fairly heavy, bit over 8#. About like carrying a 7# rifle and a backpack with 1# in it! I think if carrying an 8# or even 9# rifle is to much, you need to excerise in the off season. My 6.5x06 has got two elk with two shots and with the scope mounted and no ammo in it, it's right at 9#.
I have a Ruger K77 MKII .308 stainless/zytel with a Leupold M8 4x in Leupold mounts and a Nosler 48 Liberty .308 with a 4.75 fixed Weaver Grand Slam in Talley lightweights. Both are rugged and accurate.

I found, for me, what you describe in a Rifles Inc 284 with an extended box on. Rem 700 lefty SA. I replaced the bolt with a PTG one. Scoped it comes in at 6.25 lbs. Have taken game to 500 yards. Very accurate. But they can make up a rifle fitting your criteria in any number of cartridges and configurations. However, considerably over the cost of the OTC offerings you mention.

While I have a Christianson Arms Ridgeline in 243 and like the quality, it’s far from a lightweight with its scope. But a friend’s son has one in the other (?) model in 300 PRC and it’s much handier. Again quality seems to be there.

Thanks.

Do, this is what I did for about the same effect you said you're going for. I tried it with a Tikka T3X 270 Win SuperLite, I put it in a McM Sako Classic EDGE fill, put some Sportsmatch rings and a 3x9 SS on top. The rifle shoots amazing and by all rights, I should've stopped there, but I just don't love it as much as my Model 70's. So I had a P64 Featherweight 30-06, put it into a Hunters EDGE stock and another 3X9 SS on top with TPS SuperLow Alloy Rings. Rifle weighed just a tic under 8lb's scoped. It shot amazing once I sorted out the tube. I ended up using the 212 ELD's at 2700 with Stabal 6.5.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...BF_8473_1B5418899602_IMG_6491.HEIC[/img]

It has shot excellent and just as well as my Mashburn and 300 RUM all Summer, so I took it along, wanting to use it. The first day I took the Mashburn, day number two I took the 30-06 and being about a 1/2 lb lighter didn't hurt. The rifle is dead reliable. I'd imagine you could shed a little weight with a little less barrel, but I like the way it shoots and it isn't heavy to me, but man it is handy. If you run the numbers with a 212 ELD at 2720 at 8000ft Elevation, it isn't a wimp either. Same could be said for a 270/280 as well, but I was fairly impressed with the pounding it laid down at 390 yards on front legs.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share how I skinned your cat.
© 24hourcampfire