Home
Posted By: 16bore Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/19/20
At Midway USA. These are the times we live in........
Bass pro had a ton last weekend.
Looks like Vizard's and lots of the other online vendors have it. (BPS had it on shelves but not online, BTW.)
Every Walmart I’ve been in over the past couple months has plenty, albeit only Rem green box or Winchester.

It was just the perfect storm for an ammo shortage this year. Production will pick back up.
Posted By: hanco Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/19/20
I’m glad I reload, got a bunch on hand.
Bunch of 150 corelokts at chain store.
I got three boxes of 165s. They out of those now.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/19/20
Man, I jut came from Sportsman's Warehouse, and they had small rifle primers, so I bought some.
Originally Posted by hanco

Ditto. I have a 30-06 that has never seen a factory round, and the other one hasn't seen one for 30 years. Someone gave me a box a lot of years ago and I gave it to a friend and asked for the brass. smile
Not around here the LGS I do business with had 6 brands 3/4 different bullet weights. 100-125 boxes on the shelves. Wallyworld had RP, ww, fed in 150's And 180 gr WT's. Primers still in short supply. Mb
Was at a Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday, no .30-06 ammo. Very limited supply of powder and nothing I was interested in. Two boxes of primers, pretty good supply of bullets. Did not see any brass but that was probably a different aisle.

Cautioned a SIL last night that he needs to check his .300WM ammo supply (he doesn't reload) and start looking now if he is short. He will be here this coming weekend with his family so we can go to my range and get him ready for elk season.
I got some .... Actually I got a lot...LOL
Posted By: tzone Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/20/20
I bought 2 boxes on Sunday for my son. Plenty of it left too.
I do not understand people that do not keep a good supply of ammo on hand, realizing the times that we are in. If Biden gets in, there may soon be a time when you will not just stop at Wally and get some ammo when you want it. Find what your rifle likes and start buying it whenever you have some extra money. Preparedness is the buzz word of the day.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/20/20
I’m not “out” by a long shot. Just the first time I’d ever seen the ice cream shop out of vanilla...
i have enough 30-06 to go into 2100. did you check ammoseek.com?
Cabelas this weekend was sad except for 30-06, 270, and a couple of Creed variants. Reloaders have options in .308", .284", and .338". Slim pickins otherwise. I think that some of the ammo shortage is seasonal. Deer season here opens on Saturday and elk season opens in three weeks. Big-box stores near me usually stock 20-25 different 30-06 loads and 12-15 in 308. That starts to get thin in late September but this year it got thin in July and vanished by September. They have trace amounts of 243, 30-30, 25-06, 300 WSM, 300 WM, and 338 WM but selection is poor. Stocks of 7 Mag and 270 are not lavish but they offer the most choices. You can find oddballs like 7x57, 32-20, and 30-40 Krag but I wouldn’t bet on it getting replenished any time soon once it’s gone.

Okie John
Don't gave a huge amount here at home.

But boy do I have powder, bullets, and primers.

A good bit of 4895, Varget, Unique, and Universal.
By design. I can load anything I shoot, and things I don't,
John - what 30-30 are you seeing? We have been totally wiped out here for weeks. I talked to a couple LGS guys, they said when panic buyers couldn't get stuff they really wanted, they started buying lever guns and all the 30-30 ammo just to have *something* under the bed. Can't even find it online. I've got quite a bit stashed away, but never would've guessed 30-30 as a panic cartridge. Weirdly, 270 is the ONLY thing still sitting on shelves here in smaller stores. I would've thought that went before the 7 mag, etc.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Was at a Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday, no .30-06 ammo. Very limited supply of powder and nothing I was interested in. Two boxes of primers, pretty good supply of bullets. Did not see any brass but that was probably a different aisle.

Cautioned a SIL last night that he needs to check his .300WM ammo supply (he doesn't reload) and start looking now if he is short. He will be here this coming weekend with his family so we can go to my range and get him ready for elk season.

Although I don't shoot factory ammo I perused the aisle at Sportsmans in Cheyenne last night. No 30-06, 270, 308 ammo. Did have a goodly selection of 260 Rem ammo though.
Originally Posted by hanco

Yep

I’ve got it covered. Sounds like you do, too.

DF
Wal-Mart here had no center fire rifle ammo last week. A couple boxes of .45 ACP and some shotgun shells was it. Never seen the ammo shelves so bare.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
John - what 30-30 are you seeing? We have been totally wiped out here for weeks. I talked to a couple LGS guys, they said when panic buyers couldn't get stuff they really wanted, they started buying lever guns and all the 30-30 ammo just to have *something* under the bed. Can't even find it online. I've got quite a bit stashed away, but never would've guessed 30-30 as a panic cartridge. Weirdly, 270 is the ONLY thing still sitting on shelves here in smaller stores. I would've thought that went before the 7 mag, etc.

Ya reckon those folks are embarrassed to be seen in public, buying .270 ammo? blush

Maybe they're Fire members....

Maybe word's gotten out....

Hmm...

DF
Posted By: jwall Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/21/20
Originally Posted by 16bore
I’m not “out” by a long shot. Just the first time I’d ever seen the ice cream shop out of vanilla...

I'm glad and I was going to offer to GIVE you a box if ya need em. Really.

Jerry
Posted By: hanco Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/21/20
I was in Academy, shelves bare!
Posted By: 16bore Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/21/20
Had to stop at the Wally this evening. 1 box 25-06, 2 boxes 222 Rem.

I’m good Jer, you da man....
My local Bi-Mart had plenty of 243, 6.5 Creed, and 270. Everything else is just a one here one there scenario. One box of 7mm, 338, 45-70 type stuff. I did however find what I was after. One box of Federal powershock 180gr 30-06 for my father in law. His elk hunt starts in a week and he finally decided to get ammo, he couldn’t find it. Told him it’s been happening now for months. His response was that he must have had his head in the sand. No comment from me obviously to keep the peace.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Ya reckon those folks are embarrassed to be seen in public, buying .270 ammo? blush

Maybe they're Fire members....

Maybe word's gotten out....

Hmm...

DF

Ha! Could be. But when everyone else run outs of ammo... apparently they'll be the only hunters left standing!
Had to stop at the Wally this evening. 1 box 25-06, 2 boxes 222 Rem.

I’m good Jer, you da man....

Little to return to da man who put me onto a certain...

D M D who had a T...7 RM I was looking for. smile.

Jerry
Judging from many of these answers seems one of the often referred to but very real considerations for a rifle is the 30-06 ammo available everywhere. I guess that’s why I own them too,

With stories like these, I'm glad to be a Loony, rolling my own.

And, as such, I keep enough primers, powder and bullets in stock to out last just about any shortage.

DF
Posted By: scoony Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/21/20
Local Rural King has 30-06, Winchester 150 grain power point at $30 a box. Used to be $17 a box.

I did pick up a 200 round box of 308 win 155 grain Hornady American Gunner for less than 0.80 a round from there a few weeks back so I am not complaining.
I have so much 30-06, .308, .243, 6.5 Swede and .357 , at my age I will never use it all. I am thinking about shooting a good bit of it up on paper, so my wife won't have to take care of it after I go
Posted By: WAM Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/21/20
Friend of mine was in a panic because he only had 8 rounds of 180 gr .308 ammo and could not find any! There was some 165 and 150 so I told him to go with the 165 but oh no. Wait until one week before elk opener.....

Coincidence, but I was looking at Midway USA and Brownells yesterday for ammo. As you said, nothing to be found.
Posted By: JPro Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/21/20
I like to keep a couple hundred rounds of cheaper .308 factory loads on hand for hog hunting and practice with my AR10. Stuff online is very scarce. Did snag a hundred rounds of Fed Blue Box 150's this morning at $19 a box (Natchez). Lucky to find those. Walmarts all seem to have the Deer Season XP stuff on hand. Either the hunters here don't like them, or W-W is just making a ton of them.
Originally Posted by WAM
Friend of mine was in a panic because he only had 8 rounds of 180 gr .308 ammo and could not find any! There was some 165 and 150 so I told him to go with the 165 but oh no. Wait until one week before elk opener.....

No sympathy from me, you need smarter friends. Mb

And, as such, I keep enough primers, powder and bullets in stock to out last just about any shortage.

DF

Same here DF

Guys, I'm NOT bragging. I started increasing my inventory of what 'cartridges' I like so long ago I don't remember the year.
Whenever (?) IMR went to 15-16 $ per # I started buying Xtra quantity. I knew I'd need it.

NONE of the panics pre - XERO (O) have affected me. I'm glad not haughty.

Jerry
Originally Posted by WAM

From experience, IMO your friend would be better off with 165s in the 308 than 180s.
I've owned, loaded, graphed, and hunted the 308. The powder magazine isn't large enuff to push the 180s FOR ME.

Jerry
It's crazy out there. Was in Bass Pro last weekend and they had 4 1 lb cans of powder on the shelf. Two H380, 1 H414 and some WXXX. Walked away with both H380 pounds. I don't currently have a load for it, but I'll find one when the time comes...

Just nuts...
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by WAM

Now we need to choose our friends based on how much ammo they have. Too much!
Mike

My Friend List is Full.....

You are on it. LOL

Jerry
150 and 180gr .3006 at dunhams.
Lots if 270 win also ( all remington ammo )

165s are gone.

LGS is out of 3006 too.
Ill proly buy a few boxes of 150s this week.
Was there looking at treestand crap earlier today.

The big green/ yellow stack is half what it used to be.
Up until about three years ago, I believed that you could get decent 30-06 hunting ammo anywhere that people hunt, so the 30-06 was a superb (possibly even morally superior) choice.

Then I ran into a situation that made me question that.

On the way to a pig hunt in northern California, I stopped at the In-and-Out Market in Palo Cedro, CA. I always check ammo in little roadside stores, and this place had easily the weirdest inventory I’ve ever seen in one place:
  • 1 box of 225 Winchester (never seen this in the wild)
  • 1 box of S&B 5.6x52R (Euro name for the 22 Savage Hi-Power, had to Google it)
  • 6 boxes of fresh Federal 25-06
  • 6-8 boxes of Federal 7x57 Mauser 175 RN
  • 10 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Winchester Short Magnum
  • 6-8 boxes of fresh Federal 7mm Remington Magnum
  • 6-8 boxes of fresh Federal & Fiocchi 308 Winchester
  • 3 boxes of fresh PPU 303 British
  • 1 box of Hornady 32 Special
  • 2 boxes of Federal 338 Winchester Magnum 250-grain Woodleigh
  • 1 box of 358 Winchester 200-grain PPT
  • 2 boxes of 375 RUM
  • 3 boxes of Hornady 450 Marlin

They had plenty of service pistol ammo, rimfire, 7.62x36, 5.56 NATO, and assorted 12-gauge but only ONE, count ‘em ONE box of 30-06. To add insult to injury, it was American Eagle 147-grain FMJ. There was not a single softpoint 30-06 cartridge in the place.

Here's what it looked like
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The ONE box of 30-06 is on the second shelf up just to the right of the centerline.

Evidently they used to have an FFL but gave it up after state laws became too onerous. As noted, some of the ammo was fresh so that's probably what locals use most of the time. The rest must have been NOS. In this area, that makes a certain amount of sense given that you’re probably either shooting pigs inside of 150 yards or blacktail-mule-deer hybrids at fairly long range, but it’s still jarring to see the 30-06 so under-represented. Seems almost unpatriotic...

So I stand corrected on the whole “30-06 wins at logistics” thing.

Okie John

haven't bought any center fire factory ammo in 50 years
Originally Posted by okie john
Up until about three years ago, I believed that you could get decent 30-06 hunting ammo anywhere that people hunt, so the 30-06 was a superb (possibly even morally superior) choice.

Then I ran into a situation that made me question that.

Okie John

That's quite the exception though. Pretty cool they had a box of 358 Win. An older white box at that. I don't know if Winchester ever put 358 Win in a gray box. I've got two factory silver tip cartridges left from a box I picked up in 2008. And it probably sat on the shelf for years then.

DF

+1
Originally Posted by jwall
Mike

My Friend List is Full.....

You are on it. LOL

Jerry

No doubt its because of all the ammo I've stockpiled. 🤣

Seriously though right back at ya bud. 👍
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/22/20

5 years ago when ammo was short the only high power ammo left on the Walmart shelves was .270. I only need some Varget to make my 30-06 ammo. I do have Winchester 748 if anyone has some good recipes for the M1 Garand.

kwg
Posted By: jwall Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/22/20
Originally Posted by tikkanut

haven't bought any center fire factory ammo in 50 years

In 2007 I HAD to buy 270 W factory ammo BECAUSE I was moving and ALL my stuff was packed up.

In 2008 I HAD to buy 300 WM factory ammo BECAUSE I bought the rifle on OPENING Day (Saturday) of Deer Season and
had NO brass. Everything else but BRASS.
On Monday, 2 days later, I shot/zeroed the rifle and Tuesday I killed my largest BODIED buck YET!

BEFORE those 2 years I have NO idea when I bought factory ammo. (C F rifle ammo)

Jerry
dammit, the hardware store don't have any 3" 410 shotshells.....
Picked up a few boxes of .30-06 150gr Corelokts. $18.99 a box.
They had maybe 20 boxes of 180gr on the shelf. Same price.
Posted By: WAM Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/23/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by WAM

Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by WAM

From experience, IMO your friend would be better off with 165s in the 308 than 180s.
I've owned, loaded, graphed, and hunted the 308. The powder magazine isn't large enuff to push the 180s FOR ME.

Jerry

No kidding. Proper prior planning prevents piss-poor performance.

Jerry, I’ve tried to tell him that for years. 180’s are too slow in most factory .308 loads. I’ve never chronographed any since the ones I tried (once) didn’t shoot well in my rifle. I’m betting 180 gr Remington factory loads don’t break 2,500 fps. I saw a test with 22” barrel that averaged 2,472 fps. Not worth a schit for shooting at big critters way out there.

Happy Trails
Originally Posted by WAM

How many rounds does he need?
Eight rounds would get me through at least 5 or six seasons.
Posted By: WAM Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/23/20
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by WAM

Ditto. He said he fired 9 rounds to kill 2 critters year before last. Amazing, I know....
Was at Walmart yesterday (Everett, WA) and took a look at their ammo supply for 30-06.

They had one box.
Posted By: jwall Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/23/20
[quote=WAM]Friend of mine was in a panic because he only had 8 rounds of 180 gr .308 ammo and could not find any! There was some 165 and 150 so I told him to go with the 165 but oh no. Wait until one week before elk opener.....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes, IF you ONLY shoot during deer season.

I never take a rifle that I have NOT shot to verify the zero. AT LEAST.

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/23/20
Originally Posted by WAM
[quote=jwall]

Jerry, I’ve tried to tell him that for years. 180’s are too slow in most factory .308 loads. I’ve never chronographed any since the ones I tried (once) didn’t shoot well in my rifle. I’m betting 180 gr Remington factory loads don’t break 2,500 fps. I saw a test with 22” barrel that averaged 2,472 fps. Not worth a schit for shooting at big critters way out there.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TRY telling that to many HERE.

Jerry
Posted By: Hudge Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/23/20
Was just at two LGS yesterday and at Sportsman’s Warehouse, all had .30-06 in stock. Heck SW and one other had 5.56 and .223 in stock. The last one we hit even had 7.62x39 in stock. Not a one had powder that is commonly mentioned except for 1lb or Ramshot, 1lb of Magnum at one and the other had H-414 in stock. One had CCI large rifle primers. Between all of them, they had all types of primers though very low in quantity.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Don't gave a huge amount here at home.

But boy do I have powder, bullets, and primers.

A good bit of 4895, Varget, Unique, and Universal.
By design. I can load anything I shoot, and things I don't,

This is where i've been for years. Reminds me I want to order some Hammer Hunters. Don't reload for my shotguns and dove is the only high volume shooting there so my inventory will keep me going on upland for 10 years or so. Buddy thought I was nuts until he could not find what he needed recently.
Originally Posted by WAM

Never has been hard to decipher who shoots and who don't
Posted By: jwall Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 10/24/20
Guys in response to the Title

I made a short trip to our local W W and while there I checked the Guns/Ammo section.
Guns.... NOT much beside Salvage.

AMMO was surprising. NO they were NOT full up but more than I expected.
I tried to take a couple of pictures but the glare made them difficult to see.

There was Rem, Win, & Fed 30-06.
They had 270 of 2 or 3 varieties.
There was a reasonable selection of 7 Mag.

Shotgun shells were Abundant and in a variety of shot loads.

Now we are close to a Month from M G Deer Season... Nov 14, so it may very well get worse.
I can't believe how many people I've seen WAIT till Opening EVE just to buy Hunting License.

They may be in for a surprise Nov. 13.

He who hesitates is lost! !!

Jerry
Dropped by a big-box store near my house last night. The situation is still dire, but they had 10-15 boxes of Federal 308A, which is their bottom-of-the-line 150-grain load, and about that much Federal 308B, which is their bottom-of-the-line 180-grain load. I bought two boxes of each.

It has been interesting to watch how the ammo went away. Now it will be interesting to watch how it comes back.

Okie John
I saw one green/yellow box of 30-06 at Walmart the other day. There were maybe 6 boxes of other stuff, 6.5 Manboobs, 25-06, etc.
Posted By: hanco Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 11/06/20
Shelves were empty in Academy yesterday
Posted By: WAM Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 11/07/20
I was in Cabela’s yesterday and the only centerfire ammo in sight was .460 S&W and .280 AI and not one jug of powder. I went in to buy some Microtex hunting pants and briefly cruised the ammo aisle. I don’t need any ammo. I did notice that 7x57 Mauser and .250 Savage brass was in stock. LOL!
Pile at Dunhams is about 20% of what it was
180 and 150gr .30 06 Remingtons for 19.99 a box.
Had .250 sav and .280 rem. IIRC 40 and 35 bucks for those.

Meijer had 6 boxes of WW 30 06 150s at 19.99 a box last week.

LGS is out of those. Has 280 rem yellow/greeb for 33 a box. 150gr.

.22lr , 357 out
Had some oddball 9mm and 45 acp today
On way for midday bow sit. Swung by Meijer grocery.....picked up 2 boxes of WW 150gr.
Normal price of 19.99 plus tax ( each ).

Throw in the can w the others.
Posted By: las Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 11/08/20
I was in Anchorage Cabelas Friday to burn a couple gift cards. Wanted some .30-30 and .260 .. Ammo sheves were less than half full - not much "common" ammo at all - some exotics - 300RUM, etc. in stock. Clerk sad "They don't tell us what we are getting - it just shows up and that's it..."

I wound up with a couple electronic hearing muffs, a bottle of copper bore cleaner, two Twix, and 68 cents left over.
WM today had 06, 270, 45-70, 25-06, 7 mag. Had 300wm a couple days ago. Also had more bolt guns than last week.
Posted By: mag410 Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 11/09/20
Nothing here, but a few boxes of the less common stuff.

Academy has filled the space normally occupied by handgun and rifle ammunition with cases of clay targets and flats of shotgun shells.
Been scouting online for GOOD .22 ammo for a new toy. Seems like the approximately $10 and up stuff is where it becomes somewhat available, right where I’m looking for this particular rifle.

Started an inventory of components on hand here to see if there are any cracks that need filling before the new sheriff takes over.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Not 1 box of 30-06 ammo.... - 11/09/20
Thank Biden/Kamala....................If they win (officially) I think they might sell guns better than Obumer.
© 24hourcampfire