Home
First time posting.... Please go easy on me..
My local gun shop has a lightly used Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .300 Wby Mag at half msrp. I really like this gun but absolutely don’t want a rifle chambered in this caliber. How difficult would it be to change this gun to a .308? Or worst case a .300 Win Mag? Who does a good job on work like this and does anybody know what kind of price I might be looking at?

TIA
.308win no (different bolt face size).
.300wm or .308nm are possible (same bolt face). Remove barrel, cut, re-chamber (Assuming shank is long enough), re-thread, head space. Not my area of expertise though so wait for someone else to chime in.

As far as cost, my guess is that it probably isn’t much/any cheaper than to rebarrel?? Again, better informed members will chime in.
More difficulty and hassle than it is worth. The used gun market is awash in 308s. Just keep your eyes open - or post a wtb here.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
More difficulty and hassle than it is worth. The used gun market is awash in 308s. Just keep your eyes open - or post a wtb here.

That was kind of my thought too. Just needed to hear it from someone else. Thanks for the info.
That would be a backwards and very expensive way of obtaining a 308.
you can turn the rifle into a 308 equivalent at the reload bench...by down loading it..

IMR 4198, 3031, or IMR 4895 could accomplish that...without sacrificing accuracy.
Another vote for downloading rather than changing the chambering. If you love the rifle otherwise, that is. Otherwise the seemingly attractive price is not enough reason to buy it.
What a silly idea... Sorry..
Bad idea.
It would cost more then 1k to do that since Bolt and Barrel will be replaced. Keep looking for a 308.
BH338 I tried to send you a PM but your box is full
Posted By: hanco Re: Change 300 wby mag to 308?? - 10/27/20
Load it down if you really like the gun. I load mine down to 3100 FPS with a 150 grain bullet. I use H-4895 powder.
Originally Posted by moosemike
That would be a backwards and very expensive way of obtaining a 308.

Very well put.
Originally Posted by Jericho
BH338 I tried to send you a PM but your box is full

Apparently I’m too new of a member to receive/send PM. It says I have to post/contribute more of access that.
Thanks for everybody’s input. I don’t reload yet so down loading it is not an option. I’ll pass on this gun and keep looking.
I think you made the proper move passing on it if its not for you. Like others said, theres a lot of 308 win rifles out on the market to be had so wait and see what comes up. Its not a big deal if your right handed but if your a lefty like me the selection is scare.
Posted By: pullit Re: Change 300 wby mag to 308?? - 10/27/20
As stated earlier, just down load for it.
I knew a guy that got a great deal on a Ruger #1 in 458 WM and down loaded it to be like a 45/70 to whitetail deer hunt in the woods with.
I would pass and buy the rifle you really want in the caliber you really want. While you may pay more initially having what you want, amortized over the many years you can use the rifle will be worth it.
Sounds like you need to go buy a Tikka3x ss in 308 w put on a good scope and wallow in cheap ammo that can be had almost anywhere in normal times. Then shoot groups any would be happy with. You asked. MB
Posted By: Fotis Re: Change 300 wby mag to 308?? - 10/27/20
Buy it since it is half priced. Sell on Gunbroker and buy what you need plus scope
Originally Posted by Fotis
Buy it since it is half priced. Sell on Gunbroker and buy what you need plus scope

I’ve bought several this way but have never sold. Idk how that works with ffl on the selling end.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Change 300 wby mag to 308?? - 10/27/20
easy......
Originally Posted by Bighunter_338
Originally Posted by Fotis

I’ve bought several this way but have never sold. Idk how that works with ffl on the selling end.

The receiving FFL just has to accept firearms from a private seller.

Pretty easy deal.
Go by 308, it will cost a lot less.
© 24hourcampfire