Home
To take a really nice wood stocked rifle and have it threaded for a brake and a can ????

Would this

1. Completely ruin any re-sale value?
2. Make the rifle MORE appealing to a future buyer because of less recoil?

Hypothetical of course
I don't think any gods care what you do with your rifle. Any modification will likely diminish the resale value, but to what extent, it is hard to say.
People ought to worry more about the utility that modifications add to their rifles than what they'll do to resale. If you plan on selling, why modify it? Most modifications will affect resale, not usually in a good way. However, if the addition of a brake or can enhances your enjoyment of, or the utility of the firearm, doesn't that out weigh any reduction in resale?
Specifics matter.
All original pre 64 fw supergrade? Don’t do it!
Ruger m77 with nice wood? Go for it laugh
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Specifics matter.

No offense, but aesthetically for me, a ruger 77 is as classic as the winny.

I say drop down to a savage to minimize the visual sacrifice of adding a front end muffler.
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
To take a really nice wood stocked rifle and have it threaded for a brake and a can ????

Would this

Hypothetical of course

Chit can the can idea man...
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Specifics matter.

I say drop down to a savage to minimize the visual sacrifice of adding a front end muffler.

I totally agree with this statement..
I wouldn't necessarily give more for a threaded rifle, but I certainly wouldn't offer less because of it either. It's your rifle, make it suit you.
Specifics matter.

grin
I expressed myself poorly. I wasn’t commenting on the aesthetics of either; rather the collector value and depreciation that would occur if altering the former.
Specifics matter.

I would certainly like to agree with you but then we would both be wrong.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Specifics matter.

Best listen closely to the Australian; his countrymen are excellent judges of taste when it comes to firearms design. grin

[Linked Image from alloutdoor.com]

Would this

Hypothetical of course

Just run out and buy a really nice wood stocked ruger American, or Tc compass with a threaded barrel and watch the resale grow.....
Yes, it would be blasphemy.

Just talking about it is heresy.

But ...
Originally Posted by z1r
People ought to worry more about the utility that modifications add to their rifles than what they'll do to resale. If you plan on selling, why modify it? Most modifications will affect resale, not usually in a good way. However, if the addition of a brake or can enhances your enjoyment of, or the utility of the firearm, doesn't that out weigh any reduction in resale?

...what he said.

Would this

Hypothetical of course

Dow shout not doodat

I'm pretty sure it's in the ole testiments

Would this

Hypothetical of course

How many wood-stocked rifles come threaded from the factory? I can think of one offhand. I know I would be less likely to buy a classic rifle that had an oogly thread cap. Flush brakes machined into a barrel or so fitted look okay, but are still something I’d avoid, because I don’t like them.

Cans have utility; brakes on hunting rifles are a bad idea IMO. I’d much rather drop down in power than use something that requires ear protection to avoid instant, serious hearing damage. Mule Deer has reported that a braked magnum can still damage your ears while wearing both plugs and muffs. He’s not one to toss out such statements without doing the research. I fire one or two CF shots a year without protection, and can still hear fine, despite years of other abuse while bird hunting and 40 years spent working in noisy telephone facilities. A properly-designed can will reduce recoil too, or so I’ve read. That’s the way I’d go myself if necessary, but I’d probably dedicate a synthetic-stocked rifle to that rather than cut up a nice one. If the barrel is fairly long, you could always have it cut and recrowned later for resale, or if you change your mind, but it won’t be “original”, if that’s important. I only have a few where that would be a concern.

So, just what sort of rifle are we talking about?
You didn’t specify the rifle other than blued with nice wood stock. My thoughts are if it something semicustom/higher end factory you will take a large hit in the rifle. People looking for that type of rifle are more traditionalist and the threaded barrel is put off your market.
If keeping it forever it’s your call.
GreggH
If you’re selling it, don’t do it. If you’re keeping it, make it as useful to you as possible.
...I wasn’t commenting on the aesthetics of either; rather the collector value and depreciation that would occur if altering the former.

ANY modification will hurt collector value.
walnut and blue rifles need to be heard and shot, if you want a can get a black rifle.

Would this

Hypothetical of course

Define nice wood. Is this Anschutz Meistergrade? Blaser grade 9+? Most normal hunting rifles have average wood at best. Some wood is better than other, but unless your rifle has some distinguishing collectibility I would go ahead with it.

Most rifles are not seriously collectible. Even custom rifles don’t have a lot of resale value unless they were owned by someone famous or have an otherwise interesting provenance.
To minimize the impact on resale, have a threaded cap made to cover the threads. That being said, if it is a true collector, I wouldn't modify it at all. Even a recoil pad change, if not to original specs, will kill the value of a collector.
Originally Posted by auk1124

Best listen closely to the Australian; his countrymen are excellent judges of taste when it comes to firearms design. grin

In the jungle that is extraordinarily reliable...and I would give your right arm for a crate of them to sell to collectors.
i should have it next week. i'll post pictures
Do what you wish...different strokes for different folks. "What you talkin about Willis?"
It’s your rifle.

Would this

Hypothetical of course

Absolutely. I despise cans
I despise brakes even more.....
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Specifics matter.

Yes indeed. That gun worked brilliantly, and in conditions where others - Thompsons for example - failed badly. It was extremely popular with the troops too, known as the "Digger's Darling". It had a number of innovative features which contributed greatly to its reliability under all conditions and was tested in conditions including being dunked in mud, having sand poured over it while firing and immersed in water which it passed with flying colours. I've handled, stripped and reassembled and fired it myself, and it is a really good bit of gear. So yes, you are right, it is a great design.
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s your rifle.

This. I wouldn’t....but if it works for you do it.
© 24hourcampfire