Home
Posted By: Ndbowhunter 65gr gameking - 11/17/20
Anyone use em?

Gonna hunt some breaks this weekend for mule deer

Montana 223 9 twist at a mile high and does okay with 77gr tmk, 75 eld-m and 75gr bthp, but the area we are hunting is tight against private and the 65’s are frickin lazer beams with varget. Be nice to get bang flops.

Shots will be 300 and under most likely
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 65gr gameking - 11/17/20
You'll fill tags with it!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 65gr gameking - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
Anyone use em?

Gonna hunt some breaks this weekend for mule deer

Montana 223 9 twist at a mile high and does okay with 77gr tmk, 75 eld-m and 75gr bthp, but the area we are hunting is tight against private and the 65’s are frickin lazer beams with varget. Be nice to get bang flops.

Shots will be 300 and under most likely

I wouldnt trust the 77TMK, at that distance, in a 9 twist. YMMV, but the 9 twist I tried them in shot sub moa at 100, and all over the place at 400. The 65 SGK should be golden though.
Posted By: scoony Re: 65gr gameking - 11/17/20
I load the 65 Grain SGK for an AR as well as a Ruger #3. Last year I shot a doe with the #3. It was only about 60 yards, but the SGK tore through both shoulders and left a good exit wound. It is very accurate in my AR and acceptable in the #3.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: 65gr gameking - 11/17/20
Have been shooting the 65gr SGK in several rifles for many years...........not the best BC but good, very accurate if you develop a good load. Awesome terminal performance. What's not to like?????
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: 65gr gameking - 11/18/20
What does wound channels look like at 200 yards?

Gel test say it frags hard up close. Be interested to hear where you aim at with a 2200 fps impact

What’s minimum velocity for good bullet upset? Looks like I’ll be at 2050FPS or so at 300yards on a morning hunt.

Damn, bc’s matter eh?
Posted By: Tackdriver22250 Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
I'm interested if anyone has used these on smaller animals like coyotes or woodchuck?
Posted By: erickg Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
I’ve killed everything from ground squirrels to bucks with the 65 GK with excellent results. Smoke’s coyotes real good.
Posted By: buttstock Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoRQzea-t0g

Gel test. Sierra .224" 65 grain. Gameking.

Never shot / used this bullet, just posting a link I found on YouTube.
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
If you use enough gun to start with this thread is moot.
George
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
George

Even with enough gun, you need the right bullets, to hit the right spot, in a velocity range for which the bullet is well suited. That is never moot.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
They will work fine. Never used em but used quite a few 55 grain Gamekings out of 223, 22-250 & 220 Swift.

You will get a lot of on the spot kills with the 55 so I figure the 65 is just more of a good thing.

Deer arent exactly a large critter that take much to kill.
Posted By: CRS Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
I have used this bullet out of a 222 on three deer, no bang flops, but it worked.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 65gr gameking - 11/20/20
I need to take a look at these just out of curiosity.....
Posted By: boatanchor Re: 65gr gameking - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by Tackdriver22250
I'm interested if anyone has used these on smaller animals like coyotes or woodchuck?

That is how I got started using this bullet was on coyotes and rockchucks, they worked awesome so I started using them on bigger game.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: 65gr gameking - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by CRS
I have used this bullet out of a 222 on three deer, no bang flops, but it worked.

Did you have a custom barrel on the triple deuce with a 1-10" or faster barrel ???????? with the standard 1-14"barrel they would be keyholing a foot out of the muzzle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: CRS Re: 65gr gameking - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by CRS

Did you have a custom barrel on the triple deuce with a 1-10" or faster barrel ???????? with the standard 1-14"barrel they would be keyholing a foot out of the muzzle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, 1:9 twist
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: 65gr gameking - 11/21/20
I have a 9 twist 22-250 and 500 sgk coming. What is a good load?
Posted By: skeen Re: 65gr gameking - 11/21/20
George

Thanks, George. There's gotta be one on every .223 for deer thread.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 65gr gameking - 11/21/20
Originally Posted by skeen
George

yep.
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: 65gr gameking - 11/22/20
Went with the 75gr eld.. glad I did. Shot ran to just under 500 with a 20knot breeze
Posted By: Mjduct Re: 65gr gameking - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by skeen
George

That’s why you should punch it out to a 223AI a real mans rifle!!!
Posted By: boatanchor Re: 65gr gameking - 11/22/20
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
Went with the 75gr eld.. glad I did. Shot ran to just under 500 with a 20knot breeze

Not much info......did you shoot a deer ?????? how did the match bullet perform ??????? were you on the water with a 20 knot breeze or on land with a 23mph wind ???????
Posted By: Ndbowhunter Re: 65gr gameking - 11/23/20
Shot a 10 point at 500 yards Saturday. Tipped a hat rack 7 Friday night.

Posted a pic on the ‘slide

Hammered that thing. Hooves up in less then 4 steps on the 10. The 7 was lights out as well but to be expected at 275 or so.

6th deer in a fortnight with that bullet. Haven’t got any to make it last 30 paces. Prefer 77 tmk’s up close but at range .467bc and shorter bearing aka more velocity wins.

Pretty stoked with that ten tho. Plenty of mass and a real fun spot and stalk.. was looking for mule deer but couldn’t pass it up. Been hunting my ass off this fall. Only missed 15 days since mid September and 10 of those were a surf trip.

As for knots. Got my 100 ton at age 21 to run a transport hunting boat on kodiak/sound.. ended up spending 8 seasons total on the gulf/bering.. its sorta stuck at this point.
© 24hourcampfire