Home
I had a great transaction with a fellow member recently and we ended up chatting about lightweight rifles. so I figured we should put a thread up for fellow weight weenies to show off their featherweights.

All of these are under 6#ready to hunt. but I guess we can accept anything under 7# ready to hunt.

Start with my lightest, a 300BLK handi Rifle. I have a spare shell holder screwed into the side and a stock comb riser, but with a red dot this thing is stil my lightest hunting gun:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

going up from there is a kimber montana .223 cut down to about 17.25" and threaded 1/2"x28 and it has an adapter to bring the threads up to 5/8"x 24 for my can. 9If I ever get a lighters .223 can this thing will be ready for it). This one wears a 2-7x33 Leupold VX-1 scope in talley lightweight mounts, with a titanium handle. giraffe paintjob probably adds a few ounces, but my kids dig it =]

Now to the heavy hitters!!!!

This one is a kimber montana in 338 Federal cut down to 16.5", I had to do some stock patching, and then painted it following a members tutorial on here. tactical titanium bolt knob off of here, talley lightweights and a Zeiss Duralyt 1.5-5x36 scope. This rifle has taken everything from a 9 point buck and 3+ hogs offhand inside 30 yards, to a fox squirrel at 125. shoots 200 gr. Federal trophy bonded factory loads into cloverleafs from the bench.

I love the HPG stock packs, gotta represent Texas when I can:

Last one:

this one is a Kimber Adirondack in 308, it was the older model with sitka forest discontinued camo pattern that was flaking off so I had a local guy ceracoat it to Kryptek Typhon. It wears a kimber thread adapter from the factory 9/16x28 (or whatever kimber uses) to the standard 5/8x24. Scope is a Vortex HD LH 2-10x40. I have also had the 1.8-8x32. both are great set and forget scopes with a few ballistic dots in what is otherwise a pretty heavy reticle if you are so inclined. It barely makes weight =] but shoots Barnes 130gr. TTSX amazingly well.

yeah... Yukon Cornelius approves, probably an ounce or two here:

First is a Remington 700 Titanium in .260 Remington, 22" barrel, Burris Extreme 2-piece bases. 5-lbs, 9.5-oz with Fastfire, 6-lbs, 6.6oz with 1.5-5x20 in Warne low QD rings, 6-lbs, 8.1-oz with 2.5-8x36 in Warne low fixed rings (not shown).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second is the potential successor, a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5mm Creedmoor, 18" barrel (currently with threaded muzzle protector), Warne Maxima 2-piece bases. 4-lbs, 15.3-oz as pictured.

[Linked Image]

Just got this recently from another Campfire member, so far shows promise but I haven't fired for groups yet. That particular FastFire is a first gen model, just happened to be the easiest I could swap onto the Kimber quickly; likely that'll be replaced with a FastFire 3. I'll also put the 2.5-8x36 (probably, or maybe the 1.5-5x20) in Warne QD rings and get that sighted-in that as well.

My thought in 2004 when I got the Remington was about a "lightweight scout" rifle. It's fine for that, but in the meantime the Kimber Adirondack came along, even lighter (an "airweight scout"?) and 4" shorter so seems like it might be handier.

I don't do much long-distance shooting, so I see the .260 Rem and the 6.5 Cr as pretty much interchangeable...

-Chris

Attached picture PICT0017_snap.JPG
Attached picture With_FF_snap.JPG
Attached picture With_VX-3i_snap.JPG
Attached picture airweight_scout_snap2.JPG
As a foot hunter in the Rocky Mountains, I am a big fan of the lightweight rifle. My best, so far, is a sub-7lb Kimber Montana in 25-06 with a Kahles 3-9x42 scope:

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Originally Posted by Mjduct
I had a great transaction with a fellow member recently and we ended up chatting about lightweight rifles. so I figured we should put a thread up for fellow weight weenies to show off their featherweights.

Lets go ahead and set the bar pretty low at 6#. all of these are under that ready to hunt. but I guess we can accept anything under 7# ready to hunt.

Start with my lightest, a 300BLK handi Rifle. I have a spare shell holder screwed into the side and a stock comb riser, but with a red dot this thing is stil my lightest hunting gun:

going up from there is a kimber montana .223 cut down to about 17.25" and threaded 1/2"x28 and it has an adapter to bring the threads up to 5/8"x 24 for my can. 9If I ever get a lighters .223 can this thing will be ready for it). This one wears a 2-7x33 Leupold VX-1 scope in talley lightweight mounts, with a titanium handle. giraffe paintjob probably adds a few ounces, but my kids dig it =]

Now to the heavy hitters!!!!

This one is a kimber montana in 338 Federal cut down to 16.5", I had to do some stock patching, and then painted it following a members tutorial on here. tactical titanium bolt knob off of here, talley lightweights and a Zeiss Duralyt 1.5-5x36 scope. This rifle has taken everything from a 9 point buck and 3+ hogs offhand inside 30 yards, to a fox squirrel at 125. shoots 200 gr. Federal trophy bonded factory loads into cloverleafs from the bench.

I love the HPG stock packs, gotta represent Texas when I can:

Last one:

this one is a Kimber Adirondack in 308, it was the older model with sitka forest discontinued camo pattern that was flaking off so I had a local guy ceracoat it to Kryptek Typhon. It wears a kimber thread adapter from the factory 9/16x28 (or whatever kimber uses) to the standard 5/8x24. Scope is a Vortex HD LH 2-10x40. I have also had the 1.8-8x32. both are great set and forget scopes with a few ballistic dots in what is otherwise a pretty heavy reticle if you are so inclined. It barely makes weight =] but shoots Barnes 130gr. TTSX amazingly well.

I like that 338 Federal! I just got a Montana chambered in that myself, with a Pac Nor barrel. I've only shot some factory stuff through it, but it's showing good groups with 185's and 200 grain Fusions.
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
First is a Remington 700 Titanium in .260 Remington, 22" barrel, Burris Extreme 2-piece bases. 5-lbs, 9.5-oz with Fastfire, 6-lbs, 6.6oz with 1.5-5x20 in Warne low QD rings, 6-lbs, 8.1-oz with 2.5-8x36 in Warne low fixed rings (not shown).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second is the potential successor, a Kimber Adirondack in 6.5mm Creedmoor, 18" barrel (currently with threaded muzzle protector), Warne Maxima 2-piece bases. 4-lbs, 15.3-oz as pictured.

[Linked Image]

Just got this recently from another Campfire member, so far shows promise but I haven't fired for groups yet. That particular FastFire is a first gen model, just happened to be the easiest I could swap onto the Kimber quickly; likely that'll be replaced with a FastFire 3. I'll also put the 2.5-8x36 (probably, or maybe the 1.5-5x20) in Warne QD rings and get that sighted-in that as well.

My thought in 2004 when I got the Remington was about a "lightweight scout" rifle. It's fine for that, but in the meantime the Kimber Adirondack came along, even lighter (an "airweight scout"?) and 4" shorter so seems like it might be handier.

I don't do much long-distance shooting, so I see the .260 Rem and the 6.5 Cr as pretty much interchangeable...

-Chris

I’m pretty sure I tried to buy/trade for that Creedmoor!!!

Looks like it is in good hands.

Guns like this do well with reflex sights/ small red dots/ 1x power optics. I think that type of optic fully utilized the portability and quick pointing of the guns.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Prior to paint....and with a VX3i 2.5-8x36 on top.

After paint with a Swarovski 2-10x42. I think it might be a smidge heavier but not much.

Kimber Montana rebored to 358win
Titanium bolt handle and aluminum skeltonized trigger guard.
Bedded in Devcon

Carries and shoulders like a dream.

I’m pretty sure I tried to buy/trade for that Creedmoor!!!

Looks like it is in good hands.

Guns like this do well with reflex sights/ small red dots/ 1x power optics. I think that type of optic fully utilized the portability and quick pointing of the guns.

I guess just lucky timing for me. smile

Looks like the 1-5-5x20 plus rings would add 14-oz, and the 2.5-8x36 plus rings would add 16 oz. That'd mean around 5-lbs, 10-oz or 5-lbs, 12-oz total, respectively... neither being too bad...

But yes, the small reflex is almost perfect for my application, and I don't have to worry about bolt handle versus scope tube. The other options would be more for back-up or maybe a more specialized hunt in different, more open, terrain than I usually encounter these days.

-Chris
Def lots of nice rifles listed here!!! Fun to see.

Here are a few of mine.

This one barely qualifies as its 6 pounds 14 oz with the 20 oz SWFA 3-9 on it. A browning Abolt Ti in 325 WSM cut to 18" barrel:

The next one started life as a 24" 270 Win Kimber Montana 84L that I had cut down to 21" and rebored to 338-06. This spring I had it cut down to 16" and muzzle threaded for a suppressor.

Rifle with a pic rail on it is is 4.75 pounds:

Put some rings and a 20 oz SWFA and its 6.25 pounds:

Then put a 1 pound suppressor on it and we get above the weight class for this thread smile

However its a joy to carry and even with the shorty 16" barrel it still shoots 230 ELDx bullets at well over 2600 fps so still bringing some heat to the table despite being cut back.

Finally we got the Kimber 84M that has gotta more work done to it over the years than Michael Jackson's nose smile

Originally was a 308 win for many years. Then had it bored out to 358 win and put into an MPI microlight stock, added some TI action screws and bolt handle as well as lots of fluting in places.

That final weight came in at just over 3.5 pounds naked rifle.
Scoped with a 2-7X28 Leupold Ultralight it was still under 4.4 pounds or more than 1/2 pound lighter than a Kimber Mountain ascent with no scope or rings:

Then two years ago I decided I want to be able to shoot most of my rifles in my backyard which means they ideally need to be suppressed for working up loads. As such I had the rifle rebarreled with a 16" Lilja slightly heavier contour than the standard 84M profile.

Even so the rifle still weighs in at 4 pounds 2 oz naked:

With the SWFA UL scope on it the whole package goes 4 pounds 13 oz:

And with a 12 oz suppressor its still just over 5.5 pounds suppressed:

The little rifle is proving to be the most accurate Kimber I have owned shooting 135 Hornady A Tips at 2800 fps from the shorty barrel.
I admit... I stole the color scheme for my Adirondack from alaska-lanche afte seeing that 4# on another forum a few years back. I run mine with a can too, great little setup!!!
I have no center fires that are 6 pounds and lighter. I do have a few that are just a few ounces over 6 pounds however. Here is my lightest rifle. A 1900 Lee in 303 with a very light barrel, but as light is it is, it still shoots as well as I can from a rest with the iron sights it has. 100 yard groups hold a smidgen under 2MOA.

(If that's not good enough please keep quite about it ----------so the deer I have been killing with it WON'T KNOW it's not good enough to kill them. So far they don't seem to know that---------)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
That rifle is great!!! First wooden stocked one on here, and It’s under 7# so that counts in my book.

I edited the thread to be more inclusive. I kinda wanna see some Remington model 7, 600 or 660 Mohawks posted up on here.

Mini Mauser build would be cool also.
[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]

First Gen Ti in a Manners UC.
I am a bit over at 6.1 oz on my 270 Montana. Aluminum trigger guard, Italian shotgun metalless recoil pad.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Merkel K1, 7mm-08 Rem, with irons.

With Optics!

ya!

GWB
Tikka Superlight in .223 5.5 lbs without scope...I dunno what it weighs all up...

Not really an Ultralight at 6.2lbs bare but could have been kept right at 7#’s by removing the rail, using Talleys and light glass. As it is it weights just over 8.5 #’s loses with the Atacr 4-16 on top.

Attached picture C1EB34FE-58F6-4F6F-B3AA-8DF03199DC44.jpeg
Originally Posted by szihn
I have no center fires that are 6 pounds and lighter. I do have a few that are just a few ounces over 6 pounds however. Here is my lightest rifle. A 1900 Lee in 303 with a very light barrel, but as light is it is, it still shoots as well as I can from a rest with the iron sights it has. 100 yard groups hold a smidgen under 2MOA.

(If that's not good enough please keep quite about it ----------so the deer I have been killing with it WON'T KNOW it's not good enough to kill them. So far they don't seem to know that---------)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

Nice!
Thanks guys.
smile
Is that a T3 or T3X? My superlight T3X 22-250 is close to six pounds, I know the T3's were lighter, but not by that much. I also have a Montana .223 and a Fieldcraft 22-250.
Not really ultralight, just genuine, full sized, big game caliber, light hunting rifles.

MM

6 1/2 as shown, 7-08

7.0 as shown, 270 Win

7.0 as shown, 280 Rem
Originally Posted by geedubya

With Optics!

ya!

GWB

Wow! Nice rifle. I had no idea they were that light.
For me, "sub 6lb rifles" are what you carry - scoped, sling, and rounds.

Only a few on this thread make that threshold...
Originally Posted by Brad

That's because there really ain't that many around that make that mark.....................just sayin'.

Especially with 20" or longer barrels.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

That's because there really ain't that many around that make that mark.....................just sayin'.

MM

Nope. And fewer still with any scope over about 10 oz.

MM

Yeah..l I know.

But the point is, a rifle’s weight should be what you carry on your shoulder or in your hand on the mountain, not what it weigh’s bare in your kitchen.

This one reminds me of one I built...never weighed it but I'd be surprised if it were #6.5...

Upper six’s but not much of a bother to carry.

Howa mini action in 6.5 grendel. Barrel cut to 16.25", fore end shortened and thinned, plastic mag assembly replaced with hinged aluminum unit from oregon gunsmithing, Redfield 2-7 in Talley Lightweights. 6lb 5oz

How many rounds do you want me to carry and still make sub 6 pounds? Good point though. Unless I swapped to a Leupold Vx2 or 3 on a couple of mine than they don’t meet that criteria. That’s fine. That’s the beauty of starting with a rifle well below 5 pounds. Gives options for scopes and slings and other such things....yeah I know that rhymed wink

Hope you’ve been well Brad and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

That rifle is drop-dead gorgeous. Reminds me a lot of the Lee Speed Sporter in The Ghost and the Darkness.
Since moving away from TLW's and Leupolds I'm not sure I have any sub 6# rifles now. I have many that are 6.5-7.5 lbs with Uncle Mikes and 3 rounds.
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by

This one reminds me of one I built...never weighed it but I'd be surprised if it were #6.5...

The rifles posted by Szihn and Ingwe are the best-looking Lee rifles I've ever seen... and I grew up in Canada so I saw a LOT!

John
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

How many rounds do you want me to carry and still make sub 6 pounds? Good point though. Unless I swapped to a Leupold Vx2 or 3 on a couple of mine than they don’t meet that criteria. That’s fine. That’s the beauty of starting with a rifle well below 5 pounds. Gives options for scopes and slings and other such things....yeah I know that rhymed wink

Hope you’ve been well Brad and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Indeed you're vying for the campfire poet laureate. smile

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to you and yours lanche.
Some pretty snappy rifles there for sure

I like the start with a Handi just because
Hank
I’ve been close at times.

[Linked Image]

It has a slightly heavier barrel here.
Don't feel inclined to snap pics, so........

T/C Contender (Gen1), have two frames and 4 barrels. Heaviest w/scope is 5# 9 oz.
M1 Carbine w/15 rd mag is 5# 11 oz
Ithaca 37 20 ga is 6# even
WC Scott 20 ga SxS is 5# 9 oz

The 94 Trapper tried but didn't quite make it at 6# 2 oz.
Tikka Superlight in .223 5.5 lbs without scope...I dunno what it weighs all up...

It's gotta be close to my Superlight with Talleys and a VX 2 3x9 and Butler Creek scope caps and a GFY sticker for the win. 6 pounds 14.7 ounces.
Kimber Hunter in .308, topped with a Leupold 2-7 VXR and Talley Lightweights- barrel shortened/crowned to 19", titanium bolt and "gel" removed from stock

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

Not really ultralight, just genuine, full sized, big game caliber, light hunting rifles.

MM

6 1/2 as shown, 7-08

7.0 as shown, 270 Win

7.0 as shown, 280 Rem

Lovin' that .280!
The giraffe stock is bad ass.
I just weighed my Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM, with SWFA 3X9 in Leupold two piece mounts.
7# on the nose.....so I won't bother with a picture.

The really nice thing about light weight rifles is it gives you the option to add bigger optics to the package and still keep the weight down.
I edited the thread to be more inclusive. I kinda wanna see some Remington model 7, 600 or 660 Mohawks posted up on here.

Schitty photo, but all I've got handy right now. Model 600 35 Rem in a Lone Wolf topped with an Aimpoint Micro H1, 5 lb 10 oz.

It seems like the answer is to cut down the barrel.

P

But the point is, a rifle’s weight should be what you carry on your shoulder or in your hand on the mountain, not what it weigh’s bare in your kitchen.

Fair comment. The sling I'm using these days weighs 10.1-oz with swivels and 5 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor (with 120-grain GMXs) weighs 3.8-oz... so the Kimber Adirondack with reflex sight would be 5-lbs, 13.2-oz.

[Linked Image]

-Chris

Attached picture airweight_scout_snap2.JPG
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
It seems like the answer is to cut down the barrel.

P

I only saved 0.7 oz/inch on my Kimber Hunter, 2.1 oz going from 22 to 19"- it is much handier in the timber though smile

MM

Yeah..l I know.

That's a moot point....................just depends on what starting reference point you want to use when talking about rifle weight for comparisons.

But yes, from the standpoint of what you actually carry, the sling & ammo count.

MM
S&W Model B made by Husqvarna.The stock was described to me as being 'artic birch', whatever that is. It certainly isn't walnut. It is a 30.06 with a Weaver 4X and has a 20.5" barrel. It also has one of the slickest actions I have ever cycled, and I also own a Krag and a M-S 1903. Sorry to say that it is over the weight limit by 0.8 oz....

I guess I need to weight my M600 308. I think I have two out of three Steyrs that are close to qualifications here. I do wonder about the 9X56mm. Be Well
Mr. Hook and and y'all, RZ.
Fun thread.
I’ve got a few that qualify, but tough to do sub 6 (by Brad’s definition) in a factory offering with any of the heavier scopes (Adirondack/Mt Ascent the exception.)

I am awaiting parts for one that should be sub 6 all up with an swfa 3-9 if all weights go as advertised.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Montana 6.5 CM with the barrel chopped to 20" and threaded w/ Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36 B&C in Talley lightweights. As shown, missing only ammo it's 7lb 1.1oz, pull off the can and it's 6lb 2oz, naked I think it is 4lb 14oz. Carries and shoots great.
I'm not choppin' barrels.

MM
One of my other pieces weighs 7# 3 oz and sports a 42” barrel. Balance is superb and it runs about 1.5” for 5 at 50, offhand. Ain’t gonna get chopped, not as long as I live.
I'm not choppin' barrels.

MM

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
6.5 lb 1-8" .243AI

Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel 22" factory barrel
Timney Trigger
Oregunsmithing hinged floorplate
Pendleton Custom Stock
Talley Lightweights
Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40

Thanks, Dinny

Attached picture IMG_20201128_52502.jpg

Great Thread!!! But going back to the sixties era days of my youth... No huge emphasis on rifle weight. More of proportionality. For me, the heavier rifle, the more comfortable to fire. I'd spec'd out my gun bearer! About 5'8"+ @ 150 or so lbs; "bikini qualified"! Fantasies of "exploring the bush!" smile

Back to reality! The great 'centerfold rifles 'kilos & candy... trim & eye variety, respectively! Yet here, the honorable opposition! My humble other-end of $/fancy spectrum... "Utility", uber älles! My most "featherweight-likely" contender. Thirties vintage milsurp conversion, almost surely Euro-cottage industry era. Yet all military origin components but for sights & barrel band! Plain Jane as max for minimal investment. Notably era accomplished as Reichsmarks were runaway & workers in the streets with signs "Brot Und Arbeit"; "Bread and Work"! Such rifles providing work for more fortunate folk! My own $60 eighties era investment; utility and artifact! 8x57S & competent shooter. Estimated weight about 6.4Lbs/2.9K/.5Stone! smile Certainly making all the 'honorable competition - including that great SMLE conversion - really shine!!! smile smile smile My own considerable enjoyment here, for what it is... and was!

Best & stay safe!
John

Attached picture R195-2.jpg
Attached picture R195-4U.jpg
Attached picture R195-11U.jpg
Attached picture R74-17.jpg
Attached picture R195-6.jpg
I have 3

Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5Creedmoor with Talleys & Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36
Barrett Fieldcraft 270 with Talleys & Leupold VX3i 2.5-8X36
Remington 700 Titanium 30-06, it's awaiting Talleys and I'm undecided on a scope but a good chance it'll get a Leupold
https://postimg.cc/MXpwHP2t/1d438f79 model 7 308 16 1/2 barrel
I was thinking that my Steyr guns with sling and scope, loaded, would be no more than 7#s and maybe close to 6#. Not sure? Hook do you know what the '03 or '05 in 6.5 would weigh all up? My sling may be a bit heavy as it is out of ele hide. Be Well, RZ.
My .308 Win Kimber Montana w/ Leupold 2.5-8x36 CDS, Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling, and 4 rounds - 6lbs 7oz's:

Originally Posted by Teeder

MM

6 1/2 as shown, 7-08

7.0 as shown, 270 Win

7.0 as shown, 280 Rem

Lovin' that .280!

Thanks...............yeah, I love it too; actually I love all 3 of 'em.

MM
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I was thinking that my Steyr guns with sling and scope, loaded, would be no more than 7#s and maybe close to 6#. Not sure? Hook do you know what the '03 or '05 in 6.5 would weigh all up? My sling may be a bit heavy as it is out of ele hide. Be Well, RZ.

Decided to find out, Mr. Zipper. My 1903 is 6lb-11.6 lb.....more than I would have guessed. To be honest, I think M-Ss handle so well, you just think they're lighter than they really are.

I put the 4X Hensoldt scope in claw mounts back on it and the weight went up exactly 1 lb.

Someone asked about M600s weight. It is a Mohawk so it has the heavy barrel, not the slim one of the original M600, and, it has the replacement bottom metal. It is basically the same weight as the scoped Mannlicher-Shoenauer.

MM

Yeah..l I know.

Thank you Brad. As always you made your opinion known. Can you give us two examples of how you’ve helped anyone kill a deer or put up a deer in the last year or two?
Fieldcraft 6.5 CM/SS 3-9 - don't have an exact weight but should be around 6.5 lbs all up...

Kimber Montana .223 w/Superchicken 2.5-10 UL. No idea what it weighs, but it feels like a toy. wink

Originally Posted by skeen
Kimber Montana .223 w/Superchicken 2.5-10 UL. No idea what it weighs, but it feels like a toy. wink

Funny thing is that the .223 montanas are probably the heaviest ones!!! All that extra material in the bore with that .224 hole down the middle wink
I modified my Fieldcraft to get it to come in a hair over 4 pounds.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
SWFA Ultra light scope.

Aluminum low rings. No rail, no loctite, doesn't need it, just ads weight.

Remove the sling studs.

It's the shorter threaded barrel, so lose the thread protector.

Clean it real well, don't use a lot of lube. Lube ads weight.

And mostly, I put this ammo box under the stock.

I've found the taller the ammo box the better the weight savings laugh
I just missed 7 lbs, but it will do. Could probably get there with a lighter sling and swivels...if I wanted.

This is just a Gander 700 Mtn Rifle 7-08, Talley Ltwts, VX3 2.5-8 w/M1 elev. Nothing special. A Titanium would get there. And I'm guessing my Fieldcrafts would easily get there with lighter scopes and mounts than what I'm using.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Originally Posted by cas6969
SWFA Ultra light scope.

Remove the sling studs.

Sheeter!
SWFA Ultra light scope.

Remove the sling studs.

LOL! Had me going there for a minute!!
I was about to say, you gotta lose over a pound from a factory fieldcraft to get to 4#

good show cas6969
That's how ultra light rifles work, trade offs and sacrifices. It's light, but harder to shoot. Plus now I have to carry that stupid ammo box with me in the woods.
That's how ultra light rifles work, trade offs and sacrifices. It's light, but harder to shoot. Plus now I have to carry that stupid ammo box with me in the woods.

A cardboard ammo box would save even more weight. I have some you can have at a good price (for me).
I bought my Remington 700 Titanium .308 before I joined the Campfire and learned "the rules" for making them lighter, but I never had a reason to change anything. Now that 200,000 acres of my woods have been charred over the past 3 years, what I now call the "BurnTree" pattern stock works great.

It's a real pig by some of your standards, and I almost didn't qualify to play.

Originally Posted by geedubya

With Optics!

ya!

GWB

Sheesh that Merk is gorgeous.

MM

Yeah..l I know.

"...a rifle's weight should be..." Who the [bleep] died and left you the boss?

I'd much rather know what the actual "ultralight -rifle-" weighs, bare. Far too many variables and choices come in to play when we get to setting up a rifle further for personal use. As for the lightweight -rifle- itself, a rifle set-up that makes 6 pounds with a 16 oz scope, 4 oz rings rings, etc., etc. is more interesting than 5 pound 15 oz rifle set-up with a 2 oz red dot. Just tell me how much the rifle weighs, I'm going to set it up differently than the next guy anyway...
How about a NULA 6.5 creedmoor with Bartlein. Shoots lights out with 130VLD hunters. Tough to beat this one. Dan Coffin did the bartlein work.

That’s awesome!
I can confirm that carrying my 5¾-lb Kimber -- with the reflex sight on it, loaded, with sling -- was a lot easier than carrying the 9-lb Winchester M71 this last week.

-Chris
I

Last one:

I have 308 Montana rebarreled from 338 that shoots reduced recoil TTSX into one ragged holes 🕳. Hard to pass it up when I go out!

Some others.
250AI Kampfled I was looking at the build sheet for this one yesterday....6-week wait start to finish a LONG time ago
3006 Subalpine sans rings
243 Adirondack
708 Ti - sold here
6CM Barrett

It pitched up yesterday after a 6 month wait. 35Whelen Kimber Hunter with a 22” barrel. 2.5kg or 5.5lbs bare. Leica 1-6 going on top.
I apparently know how to make an ultralight rifle heavy. This is a little titanium action 6.5 SAUM built by Dallas Lane.
Specs are as follows:
Rifle weighs 5 pounds 6 ounces
Mac Bros Evo titanium action
Hawkins 30mm hybrid pow rings
MCS ultralite classic radius pillar bedded
Bart #2b spiral 8 twist 23" threaded 1/2-28 with cap
APA Micro bastard brake nitride coated
APA dbm w/ 3 round mag.

But, you throw an NXS Compact and three rounds into the mag and it jumps up over 7lbs quick. Really don't care as it proved an absolute killing stick this year on my sheep, plus back up on wife's griz and ram.

Attached picture 65 SAUM Lane Scale smaller.jpg
Attached picture 65 saum Lane smaller.jpg
Attached picture 65 SAUM Sheep Pack smaller.jpg
Attached picture 65 SAUM Sheep small.jpg
Here is one of the limited run 22" threaded Fieldcrafts that I again weigh down with too-heavy of a scope which is a Leupold 4.5-14 with 30mm tube, which shows the amount of weight savings compared to the next rifle which is another Fieldcraft but 21" unthreaded in 7/08 with a petite 2.5-8x Leupold. (The 7/08 now resides with another forum member in Anchorage). And a 280ai Mountain Ascent with another 2.5-8x Leupold--the misses used it this year to harvest an interior griz and dall ram in Tok. I originally picked it up on a whim as a back-up plan if a build I had in the works didn't make it in time. It did, so it sat in a safe for a couple years till I pulled it out for her to try and see if she wanted to use one of the fieldcrafts or it for her hunt. She was shooting ragged holes with it and factory Federal premium ammo with the 168 Bergers. After playing with it this season and seeing how well she shot it I am overly impressed and would like to find a little Adirondak in 7/08 for our daughter.

Attached picture 65 creed smaller.jpg
Attached picture 708 Fieldcraft smaller.jpg
Attached picture 280ai MA smaller.jpg
Last for now I'll throw in here as ultralight by magnum standards. Again could be easily 1/2 pound lighter with different scope. Its one of the old Remington Custom Shop Alaska Wilderness Rifles in 338WM that I had the teflon stripped of the stainless barreled action and gent up in Wasilla cerekoted and hydrodipped the McMillan stock. Karl here on the hide fluted and skeletonized the bolt. This gun has been amazing and killed all sorts of critters up here as my main packing rifle till I started chasing sheep a few years ago. Even after a few other customs built for moose, my father in law would still carry it--basically every hunt we do, if I'm not packing it, he wants to. Sucks up the recoil for being light and just dead-nutz accurate. It put the complete smack on a big AK Pen brownie this May. He was sleeping on a moose kill, lifted his head to look off a different direction, slipped one in the perfect spot letting his head fall--never even moved a paw. Threw another into frontal into his brisket for good measure, but he was out. I know the 6.5's are taking the hunting world by storm, as the 7's did before. Hard to argue against the superior BC bullets, and the damage the 6.5's will inflect--but still a lot of love for big heavies in my heart.

Attached picture 338AWRc smaller.jpg
Attached picture 338AWRa smaller.jpg
Attached picture 338AWRb smaller.jpg
My Kimber Montana with Ascent stock. I switch between a Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x42 ASV+ and a Aimpoint Micro. Hunting for reindeer I also use a bipod.

Fully equiped with Zeiss, silencer and bipod is 7 lb (3.2 kg). With Aimpoint and silencer 5.7 lb (2.6 kg)

To really understand and appreciate a lightweight rifle you need to own one. I carry more than I shoot on my hunts.

Attached picture A7B6C012-6879-4E1D-B077-904967B1AEAB.jpeg
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I bought my Remington 700 Titanium .308 before I joined the Campfire and learned "the rules" for making them lighter, but I never had a reason to change anything. Now that 200,000 acres of my woods have been charred over the past 3 years, what I now call the "BurnTree" pattern stock works great.

It's a real pig by some of your standards, and I almost didn't qualify to play.

I feel your pain, I just got a few short weekends in bow season before my area got eaten up by the Mullen fire..

old school lightweight
Originally Posted by blairvt
old school lightweight

I like that! Some hunts I wish I had only irons. Never seem to shoot far anyway.
Christensen ti ridgeline 6.5 PRC. Proof stock. Tally medium and vx6 3-18 50 firedot. 6.625 lbs. or 6 lbs 10oz.

Attached picture E104781D-9046-4D85-BAFB-B190BC5F8D6D.jpeg
Attached picture AEFC2664-2B69-4379-9C45-00CCACCD1B4E.jpeg

Two 350 Rem Mags, 308 Win, 243 and 6 Rem.

I have a lot of them. I have three Kimber 84s, three featherweights, and a barrett fieldcraft in 30/06 as well. I just don't have time to get pictures of them.

I don’t know how to post photos.

Kimber adirondack
Titanium bolt handle
Rem ADL trigger guard
Talley lightweight one-piece rings/bases
Butler creek scope caps
Swaro z3 3-10x42

5lb3.5oz
(4lb1.7oz bare rifle)

Nashville PM me your E-mail and I’ll send you one and post the pics for you if you want. That sounds like a winner!

What caliber is your adirondack? Always wanted to find one in 300 BLK
PM sent

Cal is .308

I’d like to shave some more weight off yet, get under 5lbs loaded.
Originally Posted by Nashville

Kimber adirondack
Titanium bolt handle
Rem ADL trigger guard
Butler creek scope caps
Swaro z3 3-10x42

5lb3.5oz
(4lb1.7oz bare rifle)

Seems odd. Kimber says 4-lbs, 13-oz for a .308, and my Adirondack in 6.5 Cr starts at 4-lbs, 12.4-oz bare. Wouldn't have expected the titanium bolt handle to make almost a ¾-lb difference...

Cal is .308
I’d like to shave some more weight off yet, get under 5lbs loaded.

I'd have guessed that scope weighs maybe 1-lb?

-Chris

Seems odd. Kimber says 4-lbs, 13-oz for a .308, and my Adirondack in 6.5 Cr starts at 4-lbs, 12.4-oz bare. Wouldn't have expected the titanium bolt handle to make almost a ¾-lb difference...

so I'm posting his photos... He might have forgotten to mention the stock work =]

Ah.

-Chris
I don’t know how to post photos.

Kimber adirondack
Titanium bolt handle
Rem ADL trigger guard
Butler creek scope caps
Swaro z3 3-10x42

5lb3.5oz
(4lb1.7oz bare rifle)

Now THAT is an ultralight rifle!
I modified my Fieldcraft to get it to come in a hair over 4 pounds.

How the heck did you get it so light?
Kimber Montana 7-08, VX2 2-7x33, Lewey bases and rings. 4 rounds = 6# .7oz.

[Linked Image]
Sorry, I did miss adding the stock on the list, it was supposed to be under the trigger guard there.

The scope (3-10x42) is advertised at 12.7oz. The 3-9x36 is 12oz and a Leupold 2.5-8x36 is 11.4oz. My only real option of saving some more weight in the scope is a vx2 2-7x33 at 9.9oz

More metal needs to come off.

I don’t run slings as I hate them. I carry the rifle in hand or its strapped to my pack.

Sorry, I did miss adding the stock on the list, it was supposed to be under the trigger guard there.

The scope (3-10x42) is advertised at 12.7oz. The 3-9x36 is 12oz and a Leupold 2.5-8x36 is 11.4oz. My only real option of saving some more weight in the scope is a vx2 2-7x33 at 9.9oz

I don’t run slings as I hate them. I carry the rifle in hand or its strapped to my pack.

What critters, at what distances? 1.5-5x20, closer to 9 oz?

-Chris
So far I’ve been keeping it to 300yds (MOCP, minute of clay pigeon) and in though I should still be just over 1800fps at 400 with the 178 eld-x. That will be my end goal if I keep the barrel at the stock length.
The main purpose of the rifle is for solo sheep hunts though anything up to elk is an option.

I have a similar scope though I’m not a fan of the tiny objective. I have found that 90+% of the animals I’ve taken have been at first or last light and a larger objective is always welcomed. I’m keeping an eye out for a vx1/2 2-7x33 to try out. If I don’t like it for this rifle I have another 308 hunter on stand by that is going to get some work at some point.
My lightest bolt gun is a 7mm Express Remington 700 in a Brown Precision fiberglass stock. I purchased this rifle used from a small shop in Mansfield, PA approximately 20 years ago. I remember looking up the Brown Precision stock when I got home and it was equal to the price paid for the rifle. Weight with the Leupold VARI-X lll 3.5-10 and Talley rings is 7.5 lbs.

Attached picture M700 LEU 3.5-10 (2)...20.jpg

This^^^^^. I do carry a light nylon sling in my bino pack though.

What critters, at what distances? 1.5-5x20, closer to 9 oz?

-Chris

If I’m ever in need of an emergency sling, I always have a spare boot lace in my pack.
I ended up finding a VX1 2-7x33 for sale; which is now on it’s way to me, that I will try out on the 308. That should drop the weight to around 5lbs1oz scoped. I’ll weigh and post back later once it’s mounted.

In the mean time I removed the 3-10x42 swaro from the 308 and mounted it on a 7-08 Adirondack that sits in a hunter stock.
-cerkoated barrel
-rubber removed from stock and spray foam filled
-rear stud threads ground down
-a little action molestation from the original owner, I’m assuming he used a dremel???
-talleys
-titanium bolt handle

Overall weight is 5lbs11.5ozs This should make a nice little grab and go truck gun.
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308. Vortex Razor LH scope on Talley lightweight rings. Butler Creek Mountain sling. 4 rounds of .308 in the magazine.

My cheapie lightweight, as most of my hunting doesn't require lightweight. Still, under 7 pounds loaded and ready to hunt is better than 9 pounds if you're putting on the miles.
243 MT... Lightweight not Ultra-Lightweight:

Originally Posted by WillAK
I apparently know how to make an ultralight rifle heavy. This is a little titanium action 6.5 SAUM built by Dallas Lane.
Specs are as follows:
Rifle weighs 5 pounds 6 ounces
Mac Bros Evo titanium action
Hawkins 30mm hybrid pow rings
MCS ultralite classic radius pillar bedded
Bart #2b spiral 8 twist 23" threaded 1/2-28 with cap
APA Micro bastard brake nitride coated
APA dbm w/ 3 round mag.

But, you throw an NXS Compact and three rounds into the mag and it jumps up over 7lbs quick. Really don't care as it proved an absolute killing stick this year on my sheep, plus back up on wife's griz and ram.

I've had the same stock, action, DBM, and Curtis flush mag here for over a year and haven't been able to decide on a chambering. I'm leaning toward another 6.5 CM, but also thinking maybe a 22CM.
another old school lightweight ('er Featherweight)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free image uploader
I’d say that is about a 4 bore. Creedmore!
Wby Ultralight - 270win,280Rem,240Wby,30-06win

284Win,338WM,240Wby,300Rum
.260 Remington Ti
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mtwarden
another old school lightweight ('er Featherweight)

Winchester got this rifle right long ago. Beautiful.
^thanks. I've got a pair of them- that one is .30-06, the other is a .257- both topped with 6X Leupolds w/ Talley lightweight mounts; I'm prejudiced, but they are beautiful rifles smile
Me with my 7mm Wby MkV Ultralight Weight. It’s a bit of a misnomer, as it’s 6lb-12ozs without the scope and rings. It’s more of an Ultramedium Weight.

Got the kitchen sink in there with ya too, Hawk?

smile

-Chris
M-Hawk, what is that UL Glock? 10mm with aftermarket barrel? Bear loads?

That was the first backpacking/hunting trip where I brought my then-9-yr-old son alone with no other companions, and we had low temps in the teens with lots of snow. So, I carried a bit of extra stuff for safety and comfort. About 70lbs not counting the rifle.

Originally Posted by 65BR

That was my G20SF with a 6” KKM bbl. I keep it in my cabin now in Colorado. It mostly has been supplanted by my G40 and DW Bruin.

I likely was carrying the DT 200gr HC loads back then. But I tend to carry the UW 140gr Xtreme Penetrators now. If I was back in Alaska, I would carry the UW 220gr HC loads.

Chrono results below:

Originally Posted by MarineHawk

That was the first backpacking/hunting trip where I brought my then-9-yr-old son alone with no other companions, and we had low temps in the teens with lots of snow. So, I carried a bit of extra stuff for safety and comfort. About 70lbs not counting the rifle.

Originally Posted by 65BR

That was my G20SF with a 6” KKM bbl. I keep it in my cabin now in Colorado. It mostly has been supplanted by my G40 and DW Bruin.

I likely was carrying the DT 200gr HC loads back then. But I tend to carry the UW 140gr Xtreme Penetrators now. If I was back in Alaska, I would carry the UW 220gr HC loads.

Chrono results below:

TAG
Got my 22" Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel finished up (5lbs 12.5oz)...
Originally Posted by Stump Buster

What stock do you have on that mini?
Originally Posted by slammer
What stock do you have on that mini?

Oregon Gunsmithing Carbon Fiber stock and flush bottom metal (Mr. York is good people!)
That’s a great package.

The grendel with 120 class bullets is all the gun you will ever need for whitetail!
My little German Great War AZ Karbiner. Sporterized interwar. Yet 8x57. Coming to me for $120 some years ago. "Ultimately simple mauser." Buy & go shoot! Just that!
Shoots to my capability nowadays... Cinderblock at twenty paces! smile smile smile
Real wood & steel, very lightweight carry. I have a lot of nice rifles, this one special as much for what it isn't. Bloated, bells & whistles, plastic & alloy; "tricked out". Big investment with optics to boot.
Appreciating this one for what it is & a favorite in that category!
OK, I'm weird and... Loving it! smile
Best, Happy New Year & Stay Safe!
John

Attached picture R195-1.jpg
Attached picture R195-4U.jpg
Attached picture R195-11U.jpg
Attached picture R195-12.jpg
Attached picture R195-7.jpg

Gosh we in America have become a bunch of pussies. I never thought an 8 lb rifle was a bother. YMMV.
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Gosh we in America have become a bunch of pussies. I never thought an 8 lb rifle was a bother. YMMV.

I didn't either. Then I had shoulder surgery.....
If you carry an eight pound rifle on your shoulder in a sling, it’s no issue. If it’s in your hands where it should be and must be where I hunt, it gets tiresome.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
If you carry an eight pound rifle on your shoulder in a sling, it’s no issue. If it’s in your hands where it should be and must be where I hunt, it gets tiresome.

No it doesn’t. At least it hasn’t for the last 40 years.
Originally Posted by goalie

Ive had shoulder surgery. Still ok. It’s only 8lbs. Jeez.

I guess nobody's as tough as you.

Congratulations.

No it doesn’t. At least it hasn’t for the last 40 years.

I use a safari sling that works well because it puts some weight up front to offset a pack on the back; the weight is supported by your back and shoulders; and you have the rifle is in your hands ready to use at any time.

I guess nobody's as tough as you.

Congratulations.

Lol! Yeah. Right. I wonder how our Grand dads did it? 8 lbs? Really?

Lol! Yeah. Right. I wonder how our Grand dads did it? 8 lbs? Really?

Genius level logic there.

I totally should have used a WWII bazooka instead of TOW missiles at the Kuwait City airport too!!!!

Are your hard use rifles wood stocked too?
As a matter of fact one of them is. The other is a Model 70 Classic Stainless. Both weigh about 8.5 lbs. And I don’t recall ever wishing I had a 6 or 7 lb rifle. I’m usually hunting. However if you need a 6 lb rifle, more power to you.
I do have a pre-64 Featherweight that comes in at 7.5 lbs, but I haven’t hunted with it yet. I just don’t see a 8lb rifle as a problem. YMMV.
As a matter of fact one of them is. The other is a Model 70 Classic Stainless. Both weigh about 8.5 lbs. And I don’t recall ever wishing I had a 6 or 7 lb rifle. I’m usually hunting. However if you need a 6 lb rifle, more power to you.

Need has very little to do with anything we, in America do these days.

But I prefer a sub-7lb rifle if I'm putting in the miles.

When I'm not, I've got some boat anchors I use too.

wink
Maybe you need some testosterone? Just saying....
FFS. Cabin fever alread? Going to be a long winter.

Good thread. Let’s keep the lightweight pics coming.

laugh
Man I'm going to have to break out some of my heavy rifles, looks like our manliness is on the line. You've seen a couple of my lightweight rifles, but I want everyone to know that I rarely use those. Typically it's a rifle in the 12-13 lb range and my hunting is always uphill both ways.
Maybe you need some testosterone? Just saying....

We can play a game if you want. Post a pic or video of you doing something "manly" and I'll try and top it. Lather, rinse repeat.

Testosterone ain't my problem. Having the brains to understand why some would prefer a lighter rifle in certain situations, however, appears to be something you do have a problem with.
What’s your problem dude? Your bent because I hunt with a 8lb rifle? Really? Ok. You do your 6 lber, and I’ll do my 8. Jeez.
I have to have light rifle because I’m carrying an extra two pounds of meat in my pecker. Sorry you have a micro-penis and don’t understand.
What’s your problem dude? Your bent because I hunt with a 8lb rifle? Really? Ok. You do your 6 lber, and I’ll do my 8. Jeez.

Um, you're the guy calling people names for using lightweight rifles in a lightweight rifle picture thread. Nobody, me included, said you have to use a lightweight rifle. You, on the other hand, felt the need to say I need to get more testosterone since I prefer to hunt with a lightweight rifle sometimes.

That kinda makes YOU the douche.
I have to have light rifle because I’m carrying an extra two pounds of meat in my pecker. Sorry you have a micro-penis and don’t understand.

laugh
Kingston, do you have a link you could post of our “newest member with staying power” so JoeBob doesn’t feel like he’s the only one?

Savage Lightweight Hunter in .308. Vortex Razor LH scope on Talley lightweight rings. Butler Creek Mountain sling. 4 rounds of .308 in the magazine.

My cheapie lightweight, as most of my hunting doesn't require lightweight. Still, under 7 pounds loaded and ready to hunt is better than 9 pounds if you're putting on the miles.

still think the LW hunter is the best thing savage has come up with. other than the 1920s, those were ahead of their time.
Common Montana species, 7mm-08, ti knob, Al triggerguard, 6x36 Leup in LW’s
[Linked Image]

M7, 7mm-08, HS Precision, 4x33 Leup in LW’s. Bolt mailing out to Kampfeld today for ti flutes and ti cuts to handle.
[Linked Image]

Honorable Mentions:

Finnlite 6.5x55, campfire knob, fluted bolt, mcmillan, hard chromed for pimp points, Leup 6x36 in Conetrols
[Linked Image]

Creek bottom cruiser, just finished and going for paint soon. Rem KS 30-06, ti cuts on handle, knob, ti fluted bolt, sniper grey, put in a heavier mcmillan ks rendition at 28oz. Pussy cat to shoot 180gr. Trijicon 3-9x40 green dot duplex in Leup Backcountry mounts.
[Linked Image]
Those Conetrol rings are cool!!!!

Definitely don’t see enough of them on rifles
I only have one that probably qualifies as an ultralight.

My Montana 7mm-08, 6lbs as shown with Talleys and a 2.5x8

[Linked Image]

Next at 7.0 lbs is a Rem LVSF .308 in a Hunter's Edge, also with Talleys and a 2.5x8

[Linked Image]

Add 2 more ounces for the Model Seven AWR in 7mm SAUM, Talleys and a 3.5x10

[Linked Image]

My heavyweight at 7.25 lbs, .338-06 in a MCM KS stock, dual dovetails and 2.5x8

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Stump Buster

That may be the Goldilocks rig right there. Not only is it lightweight it won't kick your fillings loose and the 6.5 grendel had plenty of juice for most North American hunting. Also relatively affordable.
Really surprised at how light these superlights are. 30-06. The Even with heavier limbsaver pad. 6lbs 13oz with Talleys and 3.5-10-40 Leupold vx3. Bare rifle weighs 5 lb 14 oz.

Attached picture 9A35D509-A995-47CF-BCDB-2F33E685BE05.jpeg
Attached picture 16AB37B1-A93B-4CBB-86FA-4305906EBD4B.jpeg
Fully loaded

I'll play. Nula model 20s .250 savage with VX3i 2.5-8 in Talleys

Attached picture 597DC6E5-6E0F-4265-8D09-776392C9EC6B.jpeg
NULA 260rem. [Linked Image]
No idea why the photo is sideways, but I’d 5lb 3.35oz with Base/rings.

Attached picture D97C7300-AD60-4ACC-90EF-EE535DD19E9E.jpeg
Here is a 284 win that is a ULA and updated by Melvin with stainless barrel. Surprised how much lighter it is than the 260 NULA which is spec’d the same including trigger.
4lb 15.4oz with bases/rings.

Attached picture D844D1EA-AABC-4218-85D5-9BB8F284769A.jpeg
And last new to me toy for the week, another potentially light rifle weighed down with optics. Gunwerks 6.5prc with ti action and carbon wrapped barrel, anchored down with a hefty Leupold Mark V scope bringing it to 8lbs.

Attached picture 5509C8DF-3A34-4288-B366-F6E85E159FE3.jpeg
For comparison sake I weighed one of the Limited Series Fieldcrafts in 6.5 creed and 24” barrel and a CLR conversion Forbes completed that I picked up from a fellow campfire member.

Attached picture 893785BD-69EA-4C20-86BA-A0AA6B9DCB7D.jpeg
Attached picture 2663612C-1D20-4BBA-BF3F-166D1B22D5C0.jpeg
Originally Posted by WillAK
Here is a 284 win that is a ULA and updated by Melvin with stainless barrel. Surprised how much lighter it is than the 260 NULA which is spec’d the same including trigger.
4lb 15.4oz with bases/rings.

What’s the specs on your 284? Is that a no1 contour? I just ordered one from Melvin in 284.
Here are a couple. First one is Weatherby Ti Backcountry in 6.5 Weatherby RPM (6# 1oz) and the second is a NULA in 35 Whelen (6# 10oz):

30-30 20" barrel, Aimpoint Pro, Gemtech tracker. I could lose weight with a lighter red dot
300 rum titanium. 6.4 lbs as is.

Rum https://imgur.com/gallery/yDUjCHh
Hart barreled 7-08AI on the left, Hawk hill barreled .223 on the right. Can’t recall weights off hand but I’ll post it tomorrow.
Both shoot lights out. Hard to beat a Montana.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Hart barreled 7-08AI on the left, Hawk hill barreled .223 on the right. Can’t recall weights off hand but I’ll post it tomorrow.

Leupold scopes.

Talley lightweight rings.

They may shoot lights out, but I bet they can't handle being thrown in a creek or rock pile......

😂

Leupold scopes.

They may shoot lights out, but I bet they can't handle being thrown in a creek or rock pile......

😂

I try to refrain from using my rifles like a t-ball bat’
Originally Posted by Fotis
300 rum titanium. 6.4 lbs as is.

Rum https://imgur.com/gallery/yDUjCHh

Fotis, I saw that post and was really impressed with your build. Nice looking rifle!
Always fun to get a package from Melvin. This is another ULA I that Melvin went over, repainted and cerekoted for me. Compared to the 284win ULA above that comes in under 5lb with rings, this one is a bit heavier, longer barrel and action, but super stoked to get it out to stretch its legs. [Linked Image]

Attached picture C4AE0B59-6A6A-40BB-B803-91F8B2D6B619.jpeg
Ttt keep it going
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I just weighed my Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM, with SWFA 3X9 in Leupold two piece mounts.
7# on the nose.....so I won't bother with a picture.

The really nice thing about light weight rifles is it gives you the option to add bigger optics to the package and still keep the weight down.

The good thing about 12-14lb. behemoths with enough comb to nap on, is a big heavy scope also goes unnoticed. grin

I like light easy to carry units, but the big plump ones are a joy to cover prairie from a high spot.

Leupold scopes.

😂

If I ever decide to start throwing my Kimber Montana .325 WSM into creeks and rockpiles , l'll make sure to remember this post and check the zero. sheesh.

(Note to self, avoid for sale guns by goalie)

My Tikka Superlight 223 weighs 6.6 lbs with sling, scope, and 5 round magazine full of ammo. I did cut 2 1/2 " off the barrel, took off the recoil pad and built my own lightweight pad and put the Superlight SWFA scope on it useing the light alloy rings that the tikka comes with
How about 'budget ultralights'?

LH LW rifles they do not make weigh in weight guess its off to the sweat room!
LH Rem 700 30-06, Mtn contour SS take off barrel, Mcmillion Stock ADL, Leupold 6X42 old Detacho Mounts, 6# 14.7ounces shoots 168 TSX great

LH Rem 700 270 Win SS TI Take off Barrel, Mcmillion Stock ADL, 3X9 Vortex Viper BDC, Talley LW, Very Accurate and fast with 150 GR and RL 26
7 # 5.8 ounces. Was lighter with a leupold 2.5 X 8 but would not zero after Leupold fixed it.

LH Forbes 7-08 22" SWFA 3x9 Talley LW rings 6# 10.4 ounces great balance and accurate

LH Forbes 280 AI 24" rebarreled and reworked by Melvin at NULA SWFA 3x9 Talley rings 7# 2.4 ounces
Rems may be sold in the future
I'm surprised no one was using the 24hr, patented flop flop recoil pad to shave a few more ozs ?

That used to be the scchhiit years ago....
Originally Posted by hicountry
I'm surprised no one was using the 24hr, patented flop flop recoil pad to shave a few more ozs ?

I've got a couple of Basnser stocks finished with them. I actually prefer them to any other recoil pad.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by hicountry

I've got a couple of Basnser stocks finished with them. I actually prefer them to any other recoil pad.

Wasn't there a "How-To" thread on how to do that years ago?
I have a couple of Basners with the flip flops also they dont hold up sitting in the safe butt down. May go back to the regular pad. A lot of work to fit and
usually a repaint.
They will flatten a bit over time.

I think they're pretty simple to fit/install. Tape and a palm sander make it super easy and protect the existing paint.
This isn't exactly "All Up" by Brad's definition, but it's kind of cool in an old school way.

Rem 600 in .35 Rem.

[Linked Image]

Shown with a 1894 for scale.
[Linked Image]
Model Seven FS .308 win

7saum 7lb 1.8oz scoped and ready to go!
[Linked Image]

338RUM- maybe not ultralight for this thread but definitely ultralight for the punch it packs at 8lbs 9oz!

[Linked Image]

Attached picture 6E240323-9618-4BAD-9E09-7B0F22726974.jpeg
Attached picture 9108BCC9-D5C5-45F3-8AE8-656AADE28297.jpeg
Those look good Rudy. Well done. Your 338 RUM just looks menacing and I'm sure you are fully aware when it goes off.

Not super light, but considering it's built on a Rigby length Dakota 76 action, 28" barrel, with a Meopta/Cabelas 4-12x50 in steel Tally mounts, it's no porker either. Built by Mountain Rifles Inc. in .30-378 Wby.

Sub 8 lbs. In .30-.378? Sounds rough.
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Def lots of nice rifles listed here!!! Fun to see.

Here are a few of mine.

This one barely qualifies as its 6 pounds 14 oz with the 20 oz SWFA 3-9 on it. A browning Abolt Ti in 325 WSM cut to 18" barrel:

The next one started life as a 24" 270 Win Kimber Montana 84L that I had cut down to 21" and rebored to 338-06. This spring I had it cut down to 16" and muzzle threaded for a suppressor.

Rifle with a pic rail on it is is 4.75 pounds:

Put some rings and a 20 oz SWFA and its 6.25 pounds:

Then put a 1 pound suppressor on it and we get above the weight class for this thread smile

However its a joy to carry and even with the shorty 16" barrel it still shoots 230 ELDx bullets at well over 2600 fps so still bringing some heat to the table despite being cut back.

Finally we got the Kimber 84M that has gotta more work done to it over the years than Michael Jackson's nose smile

Originally was a 308 win for many years. Then had it bored out to 358 win and put into an MPI microlight stock, added some TI action screws and bolt handle as well as lots of fluting in places.

That final weight came in at just over 3.5 pounds naked rifle.
Scoped with a 2-7X28 Leupold Ultralight it was still under 4.4 pounds or more than 1/2 pound lighter than a Kimber Mountain ascent with no scope or rings:

Then two years ago I decided I want to be able to shoot most of my rifles in my backyard which means they ideally need to be suppressed for working up loads. As such I had the rifle rebarreled with a 16" Lilja slightly heavier contour than the standard 84M profile.

Even so the rifle still weighs in at 4 pounds 2 oz naked:

With the SWFA UL scope on it the whole package goes 4 pounds 13 oz:

And with a 12 oz suppressor its still just over 5.5 pounds suppressed:

The little rifle is proving to be the most accurate Kimber I have owned shooting 135 Hornady A Tips at 2800 fps from the shorty barrel.

What powder are you using in your 16” 338-06 to get those velocities?
Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The "Hubble" objective scope was a temporary, RJ
© 24hourcampfire