Home
Since I generally prefer Mauser 98's, or the Encore / Contender platform, I'm a bit uninformed when it comes to these two. I'm not looking for the typical TC Compass vs the Ruger American; and the winner is stuff, just simply what is your favorite and why. I'm looking for something for my
daughter in law, or grandkids.
She's a lefty. My dealer has one of each in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Both are about the same price.
Is there any real difference other than Rugers outstanding reputation.....
TC
Can’t help you with the TC, but I have a RAR in .223 1/8 twist and it shoots everything I can find into tiny little groups. I did put a Timney in it. It wears a SWFA 3x9 makes and is my range toy and squirrel gun.
My one Ruger American was very rough in the interior of the action, so much so it had a kind of squeal when you moved the bolt back and forth. It did however shoot very well. Never fired or even worked the action of a Compass.
Compass. Ruger american is a collection of mim parts and 100 little trick moves to make it work. Sounds like a zipper when you work the bolt. Lot of tool marks. Barrels are quite good but the rest kinda sucks imho
Never owned a T/C, but I've owned two RAR and would like to try a Compass before buying another. Should have bought one when they were around $200!

Compass appears to be heavier though, if that matters.
TC X10.

A guy I turkey hunt with bought a Compass last week in 308 Win. He showed up with 150 federal, 150 corelokts, 150 power points, 165 fusions so we could get it zeroed.

After getting it zeroed he shot a 4 shot group with the 150 Feds, 2 shots with the Rems, 3 with the Wins and 2 with the Fusions at the same bullseye. All 11 rounds ended up in a group just a shade under 2” at 120yds.

It’s a sample of one but I was impressed with it
If you aren't looking for a left hand in 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd go to CDNN and order a Venture for $399. I have no experience with the Compass, but the Venture I used to own was a tack driver. It just wasn't what I grabbed when I went hunting so I sold it.

I have a RAR in .300 BLK, it's been reliable and accurate. However, it isn't anything special.
Guess the $280 with $50 rebate C2s are no longer...
TC
I have both
I really think they are about the same
Rugers CS has been so good to me I always concider that for sure

That being said my knee jerk if I had the same caliber sitting in front of me I would pick up the TC
I agree with previous posts it's no Fieldcraft or CZ
But for the cost either gets the job done

Hank
I have a Compass in 223 and 6.5 and a RAR in 308. I have owned several RAR's in various calibers and all except the 308 had feeding issues. The TC's I have feed slick as can be and the magazine locks in securely. Accuracy is about the same in my experience. Overall the TC gets my vote.
Both are decent low cost rifles, I have both....

They'll get the job done...either way....

I have a preference for an Axis in that price field...but not for any special reason...

all three types are accurate enough... and that's the main point people look for...

and if they get banged around, it sure isn't going to hurt them...
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Compass. Ruger american is a collection of mim parts and 100 little trick moves to make it work. Sounds like a zipper when you work the bolt. Lot of tool marks. Barrels are quite good but the rest kinda sucks imho

My only complaint with the Ruger American is the removable magazine. I would prefer a standard magazine, either blind or with a floor plate.

Regardin MIM parts, for a manufacture to say "We don't use MIM parts" is a far cry from saying "We use the BEST parts". MIM can be worse, equal to or better than forged or cast parts depending on the processes used. Quality forged parts tend to be very expensive compared to the other processes, as is machining parts from a block of metal. Cast and MIM processes reduce machining time and both can be far stronger than needed for a particular application. Many gears are made with MIM and the tensile strength can exceed that of cast stainless. Dry wear of wrought steel parts can be as much as 30x greater than parts using the right MIM alloy.
I’ve seen two sudden, unexpected failures of MIM parts, which is why I try to avoid them. One was the adjustable rear sight on a Kimber .45 that just sheared off at top of the dovetail. The other was the shroud on the bolt of a new Bergara bolt action. I suspect there were voids in those pieces.

The economy Kahr auto pistols feature a MIM slide stop and they increased the size of the part to compensate for the weaker material, which is why the barrels don't interchange with the spendier models. I compensate for the weaker material by buying something else.
Originally Posted by PHWILLIE
I have a Compass in 223 and 6.5 and a RAR in 308. I have owned several RAR's in various calibers and all except the 308 had feeding issues. The TC's I have feed slick as can be and the magazine locks in securely. Accuracy is about the same in my experience. Overall the TC gets my vote.

I've never owned a TC bolt gun but I've handled a Compass. Didn't seem to be great or terrible, about the same as most rifles at that price point. I really want to try out an Icon someday.
I've owned one RAR, in 30-06. Never could get the accuracy I wanted from it, about 1.5 MOA was about the best I could get from it using every trick I knew. However, I do remember that I was surprised at how slick the feeding was. I'd have to check to see if I'd actually chambered the second round, and invariably I always had. The bolt had that zipper sound that I hated, but it sure fed another round into the chamber well.
I don't have any experience with the RAR, but I can recommend the T/C Compass. Mine is a 30'06 and it shoots very well. Solid rifle for a low cost.
I've got both. TC is a better rifle IMO, but not enough better for me to replace my Ruger 300BO, even if they had a TC cheap.

My TC feels a lot better working the bolt, and shoot factory ammo and handloads <1" at 100 yards.

For a budget rifle though, my Howa 6.5CM made me a believer. Especially since the vast majority of my hunting doesn't involve carrying it for miles and miles, because the Howa ain't light.
I have aTC Compass. It has been very reliable and quite accurate with handloads.

Every aspect of the rifle feels cheap. The magazine is held in place by a little piece of plastic. I don’t have much trust in the mag.

There is no good option for a picatinny rail. There are sone jade for a slightly different TC rifle that match the hole pattern, but the tail will overhang the receiver at the rear and, IMO, looks like garbage.

I bought my Compass on sale during a rebate, so my final price was just a bit over $200. For that price, I’m happy.

I’d like to try one of the RAR rifles with the AICS mags.

I wish sone of these budget titles came with a blind magazine.
If'n the rail hangs over just grind it off.... But, curious what model it's for, Venture? I'd like one.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Guess the $280 with $50 rebate C2s are no longer...

I believe that ended on 30 Nov. I'm sure they will be back next year.
I have a RAR compact in 7 mm-08 that I bought for my son. It shoots good, and I have no complaints. It’s nothing fancy but it gets the job done.
© 24hourcampfire