Home
So, I know the Campfire really loves the 270 winchester...so, if you were gonna buy a rifle in 270 win today, what would you get?

(I came across a good deal on 270 ammo and bought it, but don't have anything chambered in 270...so I may pass it off to a relative or just get a rifle for it.)
Unemotional plug and play, Tikka T3x.

Panache as a factor, a Model 70 Featherweight.
Winchester Model 70, either a Featherweight or a Super Grade.
Originally Posted by ar15a292f

This..... thread over
Tikka T3x
There’s only one choice...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Todd
Tikka no doubt
Winchester Featherweight or Extreme Weather

700 Ti, just bought one.
Nula; or 9 twist fieldcraft if you can find one before I do grin
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Yep, that or an extreme weather.
To Buy............M70 Featherweight. To Build......... Mauser 98 with 25" barrel.

My 3rd choice............................................................................................................. I don't have a 3rd choice
10 years ago? A M70 Fwt.

Today? 84L Montana. No brainer.
+1
Originally Posted by irfubar

This..... thread over

+1 leaning featherweight...
If you can find a Remington 700 I would not be afraid of it , if not, a Tikka
Originally Posted by Justahunter
There’s only one choice...

Todd

That's a great pic and quite a sell..... wink
Originally Posted by pullit

Agree, except for the Tikka. I have a Remington 700 Classic, 270, made in 1978. That's what I'd look for.......an older 700. Second choice would be a Winchester Model 70. If looking for a new rifle, take a look at the Bergara's.
Model 70 featherweight.
Pre-64 M70 fwt!!!!
Win mod 70 Supergrade

I was very happy with my Rem 700CDL in 270 Win.

Mauser M12 Extreme
I just bought a Remington M700 KS 270Win from another forum member, so there's that......

I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older M700 from the 80s or 90s, but if you're looking at current production Winchester M70 Featherweight or Tikka T3; in that order.
For nice looking/pretty model 70 super grade kimber 84L super America or whatever they are maybe a older 700 before they put those huge recoil pads on them.

If stainless synthetic would scratch that itch better a kimber montana 84L fieldcraft or tikka.
Both of mine are FNs. One is a Frankenrifle on a 1948 C-ring barreled action, B&C Medalist, Timney Featherweight installed with the wing safety still functional. Burris 3-9 in original Talleys. The other is a full custom from maybe 1960 by Paul Morton. Custom bottom metal, M70-type safety, Mashburn trigger, pretty wild French walnut handle with fine checkering even on the schnabel. 4x M8 in standard two-piece with Boomie’s favorite rings.

Regret bitterly that I never bought a Fieldcraft in .270 (or 7-08). Have all the rifles I need and to spare, but would jump on either at anywhere near a normal price. If buying new, Kimber would get a hard look for certain.

Did the pre-64 thing for over 30 years. Great hunting rifles, but good 98s are just a bit better, and definitely safer.
For pure hunting purposes - Kimber Montana.

For nostalgia - M70.
i would buy used my 1st choice Ruger #1 2nd choice Winchester pre64 model 70
Been pretty happy with my M70FW over the years - put new glass on it three or four years ago - I can see again!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T3
M70 EW
Montana
I would look for a fieldcraft. NULA would be awesome but could be like finding a unicorn.

THIS
Lots out there that would work for me. For a utility rifle:

Rem 700 KS
Kimber 84L
Win M70 Winlite

I could go wood with a Win FW but I can’t stand the checkering on them. If I could sand it of and go with a classic pattern, I would.
Kimber has some beautiful stocks on some of their Super America rifles.
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
So, I know the Campfire really loves the 270 winchester...so, if you were gonna buy a rifle in 270 win today, what would you get?

(I came across a good deal on 270 ammo and bought it, but don't have anything chambered in 270...so I may pass it off to a relative or just get a rifle for it.)

Pardon the injection of practicality into this thread but the first question that comes to mind is how are you going to use it? Is it going to be a truck gun? Beater? Do you back pack? Hunt from a stand? Is collector value important?
For a collector the Pre 64 is probably the way to go or maybe a JOC. commemorative.
Lightweight, Kimber or Tikka lite.
General purpose, a current production FWT is hard to beat.
The P64 Featherweight is pretty danged classic..

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by dingo

Looks like Jimmy the loaded goat from the Anndy Griffith show, Hope you were careful with shot placement
M 70 Featherweight
Myself , it would be a Miroku model 95/ .270 wcf.
These are rare as hen's teeth though
Kimber Montana

.....................If I were in the market, a Win M 70 Super grade in maple.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yes, they sure are and they are getting harder to find (it seems). You know JOC would have it no other way, or maybe he'd be using a Tikka T3X lite stainless by now. Who knows? Nice picture though buddy.. 55,56 or 57 I'm assuming..
For the money, nothing competes with the TikkaT3x IMO. I say that after shooting factory loads and deleoping hand loads in 4 o them. If money is not a primary concern, I’d look at a Sako. I’ve had older 70s and 700s that were hit or miss as far as needing work done to shoot really well. I’ve no experience with Bergara so I can’t comment.
T3 no muss no fuss
Pre 64 in what ever flavor you like standard, featherweight or custom.

I too have a bunch of 270 factory loads (and dies) and nothing chambered for it.

In your position, and me being being cheap (that is to say, "economically minded" smile ) I'd look for a good used one, any brand. Buying new, I'd go T3 on recommendation - never having owned one. My newly acquired 1985 Win70 fwt in 7X57 is (well, was, before the caribou hunt) quite nice, so maybe that as second choice new in 270.

Money not a concern, I'd buy dingo's rifle...... smile. Damn, that's nice looking!

However, I have a $60 Ruger takeoff 270 barrel laying around. If I can get the time, I'll likely unscrew that 17 inch '06 barrel on Stub (RU77 tang) , and screw on the 270 standard length to see how took I got..... I can always put the Stub barrel back on.

The stock is cut down fore and aft, and slimmed to fit my wife - in effect it is bassically a carbine -she might like the 270 better, if it shoots. Should have better balance too - at least for me - and I use it more than she does.

I've a bunch of 7 Mag ammo too, and no chambering. In the unlikely event I run out of ..338WM ammo and components, and can't get more, I'll just buy a 7 Mag barrel for the other Tanger.
My Model 700 Classic .30-06 got stranded in a gunsmith's shop for over a year and my wife and her brother bought me a .270W Savage 116 Weather Warrior in stainless that was amazingly accurate. It shot everything I tried in it well under MOA except Nosler Partition which was usually MOA. When I later bought a stainless Jap Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .30-06 I gave the .270 to my brother in law. The Savage 116 is a fine rifle that doesn't cost too much and can go outside in bad weather. The Vanguard 2 is good also and I suppose it comes in .270.
Ok here is how this works.....

270... belongs in a M70

30-06.... belongs in a Springfield

8X57.... belongs in a Mauser

7mm Rem mag.... belongs in a Remington 700

And on and on......

The proper 270.....

I go with mostly customs. For factory I would consider in no certain order one of the lightweight offerings from Sako (Finn light), Tikka, Kimber, Rem, Weatherby etc.

This was recently shared with me, it fell to a LH Tikka last season in very open country in CO

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Remington 700

Weatherby vangaurd
Ruger M77 MKII, or a Model 70 Featherweight Classic or even a push feed. I love the way the Remington Mountain Rifles handle but HATE their composite bolt and that miserable Walker trigger, I will never own another M700 unless it was an old one and then only for a target or varmint rifle. I like the M77 MKII action best for its safe gas venting, one piece bolt, safety blocks striker, even though the rifles are a little heavy. If money was no object I'd look long and hard at a Dakota model 10.
I'm a lifelong Mauser/Winchester guy, but I helped my UPS man get one of those Sauer 100's from Sportsmans Warehouse, scoped, load developed and so on...dang, hassle free, and accuracy? I advised him not to bother to load for it because the thing shot so well with el cheapo Federals...but we did after the brass was formed, first load out of the Barnes book...bingo-bango sub moa with Barnes TTSX. His Tikka, a fine rifle by anybodies standards has been resting for 2 seasons.
New would be a Tikka T3X in stainless or a Mauser M18.

Used there is a ton of good options.
Winchester Model 70, preferably a Featherweight, either pre or post '64. End of discussion. Whatever you do, for Heaven's sake, don't get a plastic stocked rifle.
Barrett if you can find one. Kimber and Tikka next.
Older 700 or a pre 64 model 70 if I really wanted to get frisky
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Pre 64 in what ever flavor you like standard, featherweight or custom.

Great pictures. Dig it.
Damn, what was that hog pulling? Logs?
None
My first and only for my first 10 years of deer hunting was a 700 ADL. It’s not going anywhere.

Buying today, would be a 70 Featherweight/Classic Sporter/Super Grade or a Kimber Classic or even a Ruger Hawkeye. All just depending on how big the gun find was at the given time and how I felt in a given day.
Originally Posted by Mohawk
New would be a Tikka T3X in stainless or a Mauser M18.Used there is a ton of good options.
I could agree with the stainless Tikka if it has a synthetic stock.
Originally Posted by Utahunter
Winchester Model 70, preferably a Featherweight, either pre or post '64. End of discussion. Whatever you do, for Heaven's sake, don't get a plastic stocked rifle.

I prefer stainless and synthetic. Most of our rifles are blue and wood but I prefer something that does require worry in inclement weather and blued + wood worries me in rain, snow, and mist. Almost exclusively hunt with synthetic + stainless.
Remington 700 Ti.
As a former, now non-practicing gunsmith, I hate Sakos.

Too many chitty little parts in the bolt.

Can't beat a '98 for simplicity,- hell , I'd even go Savage over a Sako. At least they are accurate. and cheaper.
SAKO's are excellent!!! The oldest and one of the most respected firearms manufactures in Europe. Still build a great product and haven't cheapened themselves to the point of modern Win & Rem products. Hell, you'd choose a Savage over a Sako. That statement can't be said by any true professional gunsmith. You'd never touch any of my rifles that I own.
It depends what you're going to do with it.

Remington 7600 for hunting in cover.

CLR for hunting in the open.

S&W Model D or E for the person who likes mannlicher style full-length stocks.
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Pre-64 M70 fwt!!!!

That gets my vote! Already have a 2008 M70 270 FW, a 1:9 Fieldcraft 270 and a custom FN 98 270. A pre-64 has been on my want list for a while...

^This^

Or a custom Mauser.
Originally Posted by las
As a former, now non-practicing gunsmith, I hate Sakos.

Too many chitty little parts in the bolt.

Can't beat a '98 for simplicity,- hell , I'd even go Savage over a Sako. At least they are accurate. and cheaper.

I'd take that advice and run with it. The more simple the design, the better. Less parts means less chance for failure. Most guys are also aware of the stupid chidt Sako has done with the position of the extractor on some of their rifles. Which causes less than ideal ejection. Just sayin. No a Sako wouldn't be my first, second or even third choice when considering a good rifle..
Barret Fieldcraft
Kimber 84L
Weatherby Vanguard stainless
Originally Posted by shinbone
For pure hunting purposes - Kimber Montana.

For nostalgia - M70.
This

ZG47.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

ZG47.

Yep, BRNO (CZ) ZG47 if you want a beautiful commercial small ring Mauser. Mine is a 7x64 - close enough to 270w or 280rem
Originally Posted by Hux270

ZG47.

Yep, BRNO (CZ) ZG47 if you want a beautiful commercial small ring Mauser. Mine is a 7x64 - close enough to 270w or 280rem

ZG47 is large ring, if you have a small ring in 7x64 it will be a model 21 or 22.

And it is Brno, not CZ for 21,22,ZG47.
Originally Posted by Hux270

ZG47.

ZG47 is large ring, if you have a small ring in 7x64 it will be a model 21 or 22.

And it is Brno, not CZ for 21,22,ZG47.

Thanks I thought they described the ZG as small ring as well. Anyway I mine is a ZG47 - I’d have to open the safe and check the date but memory is its @ 1957 on the action.

And yes I know its a BRNO but some younger folks may not know who Brno are but know who CZ is. I know its a different company but the lineage is there.

I am tired mate, I am not at my most personable at this point.

So far as I am concerned, what you have there is the end-all and do-all in it's class, I have three 21's in 7x64 and am well pleased with the cartridge

My brother has a 1956 ZG47 in 270 and it is a very nice piece of equipment.
My 700 mt rifle stopped the search.

Attached picture 270.jpg
Matte Blue & Walnut CZ 557 American
Stainless Tikka
Stainless Rem. 700
I have a Sako L-61 I really like.
If I didn't have a just about perfect commercial FN Mauser actioned .270 in a Mountain rifle style that I really love hunting with, I would find a nice Pre 64 270 Featherweight and settle on that for the rest of my deer hunting days... I could also be happy with a Remington 700 Early Mountain rifle , especially if I could find one in stainless with a nice wood stock on it. The later Win 70 Classic featherweights are also very classy in stainless/wood and I have heard they shoot fine, but don't have any experience with one yet....

Always like the looks of the Sako and feel of the actions, but they are always heavier than I think they need to be and my old gunsmith used to bad mouth them also for various reasons..
Originally Posted by irfubar
Ok here is how this works.....

270... belongs in a M70

30-06.... belongs in a Springfield

8X57.... belongs in a Mauser

7mm Rem mag.... belongs in a Remington 700

And on and on......

The proper 270.....

irfubar, what's the details on the custom stock on your FWT?
Sako A7 Roughtech Pro
Funny reading through these responses. I have two rifles chambered in .270 Winchester.

1 - stainless tikka t3x

1 - 1960 Winchester model 70 featherweight.

This!! Preferably both!!
NULA

Last rifle I bought myself was a Kimber Montana in .270 WCF, It's almost too light.

If I draw an AK sheep tag this year, it;s coming along . . .
M70 featherweight....oh I already have that.

M70 Extreme is appealing to me. I've seen a Barret fieldcraft and that was really nice.
Originally Posted by ldg397
Funny reading through these responses. I have two rifles chambered in .270 Winchester.

1 - stainless tikka t3x

1 - 1960 Winchester model 70 featherweight.

This!! Preferably both!!

Both great choices.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yes, they sure are and they are getting harder to find (it seems). You know JOC would have it no other way, or maybe he'd be using a Tikka T3X lite stainless by now. Who knows? Nice picture though buddy.. 55,56 or 57 I'm assuming..

I think it is a 55 BSA. The funny part is I have a T3X SuperLite with a McMillan Sako Classic EDGE in 270 that shoots AMAZING, but I believe it is going down the road when I find a buyer. I will never use it if I am picking between it and my Featherweight. I built the Tikka to be a lighter rifle, but once I got the P64 Featherweight 06 shooting, I barely touched the Tikka. It's ashame since it slings 150 Partitions, AB's and Bergers just a tick under 3000 with some of the best accuracy I've had yet, but again, it ain't my 270 Featherweight, so it sits.....
i'd get either a ruger hawkeye standard wood/blue or a win model 70 supergrade. I did have such a super grade, in 270win, but gave it to one of my grandsons 2 years ago. he's 11 now and loves the rifle.
I just bought a NIB Weatherby Accuguard for $500, I'll let you know how it shoots!
If it were today, current production choice would be a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS.

Not currently made anymore, I would choose a Classic Stainless from the New Haven years.
Win M-70 FWT or, if you can find them, Rem 700 KS, Rem 700 Ti, Rem 700 MR.

Hard to go far wrong with any of them. I have the M-70 & the KS in 270 & the Ti & MR in other chamberings, all are great.

For more $$$, the Christensen Mesa Ti is a really nice rifle.

MM
Tikka superlite.
Rifle looney rules dictate a featherweight model 70
Saw a Forbes at the local shop marked down to $1099. I was tempted and haven't even had a 270 in over a decade.
Did it have the safety cutout that looked like a retarded has a temper tantrum with an ice auger?

The two forbes 20b I seen weighed just about the same as a t3 superlite. 5lb 8oz or so and didn't Shoot great either.
1. Winchester 70
2. Tikka T3X
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
Did it have the safety cutout that looked like a retarded has a temper tantrum with an ice auger?

The two forbes 20b I seen weighed just about the same as a t3 superlite. 5lb 8oz or so and didn't Shoot great either.

LOL, not that I noticed, but since I wasn't in the market I didn't look that closely. I was tempted because the few I've been around shot very, very well.
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
temper tantrum with an ice auger

That’s fantastic.
How those ever got out of the factory looking like that will always be a an enigma.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

LOL, not that I noticed, but since I wasn't in the market I didn't look that closely. I was tempted because the few I've been around shot very, very well.

Do you recall if it was a jeweled or fluted bolt?
If you have the budget I would get a Kimber Montana if not I would get a Tikka T3 lite stainless....Good luck....Hb
Its pretty simple at this point for me and 15% of the left hand population. You get what is available because you have very few choices, and good luck finding anything and you might need to go custom.

Ive got a stainless Ruger Hawkeye 270 im going to try out and its what i own so there it is. Im not a Tikka person but really Sako and Tikka have perhaps the most selection for us lefty folks so id be tempted if needed to purchase one.
Since no one has said it yet I will. The perfect .270 says .280 on the barrel😳
Sako Finnbear
The object of my desire.
As much as I love my Tikkas. My tc venture in 270 is a tack driver and others have had the same experience.
Also probably 1/3 of the price as demand for TC isn’t there vs Tikka
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Sako Finnbear
The object of my desire.

Yep. Early 60’s
Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Do you recall if it was a jeweled or fluted bolt?

Fluted bolt with tan stock. I checked the stock area around the safety and it certainly could have been done better.
Originally Posted by Dre
As much as I love my Tikkas. My tc venture in 270 is a tack driver and others have had the same experience.
Also probably 1/3 of the price as demand for TC isn’t there vs Tikka

I agree with Dre. I have a bunch of Tikka’s now and love everyone of them. With that said the TC Venture for the money is damn hard to beat. I have had a few of them over the past few years and they have all been 1/2 moa guns with factory ammo or handloads. The only downfall has been their triggers, but I have read they fixed this with the new venture 2 models
Weatherby MK-V Ultralight.

been through the pimped custom mauser route
and you cannot achieve all up weight I prefer.

Could buy four UL for what it cost me to get
M98_1909 action alone, up to 'best' spec.
n' other shops cost much more than that...🤪
A 1950's-era JC Higgins model 50 or 51 (FN "Mauser 98") in 270 Win. Timney trigger, Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, Maybe put a 3-position safety or Buehler-style on it. I have this set up in 30-06. Love it

Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather, BACO -era

Weatherby Vanguard S2 with factory Hact trigger.
LH Rem 700 KS. Same as I have today.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I suspect these are going to be about as easy to find as a nine twist fieldcraft (grin).
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I suspect these are going to be about as easy to find as a nine twist fieldcraft (grin).

Yeah, true dat. Worse comes to worst, have an extra Brown KS stock. Could build a clone if I had to...

Beauty of furniture.
Originally Posted by pacecars
Since no one has said it yet I will. The perfect .270 says .280 on the barrel😳

Like this? smile

Originally Posted by buttstock
A 1950's-era JC Higgins model 50 or 51 (FN "Mauser 98") in 270 Win. Timney trigger, Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, Maybe put a 3-position safety or Buehler-style on it.

Check out the Wildcat Composites Mauser 98 stock. It's a lot nicer than the B&C and lighter. They offer 2 styles. The Mauser 98 is the nicer of the two.

They don't have good pics on their website but there are some better pics on FB. https://www.facebook.com/wildcatcomposites/

You might have to scroll down a bit to find a few pics.
One of the first rifles I ever bought was a 700 in .270 Winchester. Still have it and it has accounted for many deer. That being said I love the FW 70s, but just bought a Christensen Arms Mesa in another Campfire favorite, 6.5 CM and will be hard pressed to buy another hunting rifle not being a Christensen Arms of some model. I think they chamber the .270 Winchester.
One with a 24 inch barrel.
My personal recommendation would be that if you can find an older Remington 700, I’d go that route, but prices have been going a little wacko of late. I have several R700s and I’ve never had an issue. My .270 Win is a R700 CDL, and I’ve killed more deer with it than any of my other rifles.

Failing that, and dependent on your budget, I’d say my next choice would be a Winchester M70 featherweight or super grade.

Now that the future of big green is up in the air, I might have to switch to Winchesters...

Third choice is Kimber. But again, pricey.

I’ve been burned by Ruger’s, so I can’t recommend them a bit. Accuracy is broad side of a barn at 100 yards, so buyer be ware.
Depending on budget, I'd buy a Savage because they shoot really well and have great triggers or a pair of used Win Model Classics and keep the one that shoots 130 grn Partitions best
My budget is for factory offerings, no customs. I have a tikka in 22-250 and a win featherweight in 7mm-08 already. So I am familiar with them. I like them both.

Yesterday I looked at a bergara - isn't is just a remington action? And a used winchester model 70 shadow - the shadow was obviously hunted but reasonably priced...I almost walked out with it but wanted to look around some more first, and here some more of your guys offerings.
LeakyWaders: Now that you have clarified that the obvious answer is to seek out a used but like new Remington 700 in 270 Winchester!
Accuracy and reliability virtually guaranteed.
Been there done that.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
None
I’m sticking with the original, the .270 win. Tried and true.
A Kimber Montana and then cut 2" off the muzzle. Add iron sights, done.
Bought a 270 Win for Daughter #1. It was a used but very nice Rem M700 BDL, made back in the 80's when Remington was still turning out great rifles. It proved to be an excellent shooter. A lefty, since she is.

If I was to find a Ruger MKII in the boat-paddle stock I'd have a hard time walking away. But would unless the price was stupid low..
Ruger Mark 2 stainless brown laminate stock. IMO a perfect hunting rifle.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Been pretty happy with my M70FW over the years - put new glass on it three or four years ago - I can see again!

I like the one-piece scope mount. I went that way on a Mauser Sporter. Very stable on questionable surfaces. My Mauser had spots where they removed German army stamps.
Yesterday I looked at a bergara - isn't is just a remington action?

The Bergara action is VERY similar to the Remington 700 action, but with some upgrades (like the side bolt release). The action footprint is nearly identical.

One nice thing about it is that is you ever want to upgrade the stock, trigger, bottom metal, etc. there are many options available to you.

Dingo, that is a mighty fine piece of timber on your CDL...piece of art.
Kimber 84L Classic Select, Schmidt & Bender 6X42 Klassik.

JOC 2.0
I'm still looking, thanks for all the feedback so far.
After owning about a dozen 270s over the years I finally landed on a Winchester 70 Featherweight Winlite with the blind magazine. It is near perfection in a hunting rifle in my opinion. One ragged hole accurate, excellent trigger, extremely well balanced and relatively lightweight. Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 it is my go to rifle.

What do they say about the First Answer ? YEP

I've had both for a lotta years and no complaints. It simply depends on your preference in wood vs composite.

Jerry
an older Remington 700
NONE. Be Well, RZ.
None honestly
Having three to choose from at the moment I would pick the lightest which is an early TC Encore, the 24 inch barrel and a comou synthetic factory stock. Topped with 2-6 B&L variable it shoots really well. Second is a 270 on a Mauser action, dirty bird and all, painted two tone and topped with a 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite. I also have a Ruger 77 Tanger topped with a Vortex 3-9x40. All fine shooters better than MOA. A reasonable non loony would say a guy only needs one 270..........
Just an FYI, but Buds Gun Shop in Sevierville Tn had a used Remington 700 CDL 270 stainless fluted in the rack today for $999. Has a box with it also per the tag on gun. It was an extremely nice rifle.
I did not see any post recommending the Marlin MR7 . . . I have a MR7 in .270 (my only one) and .30-06. They are very handsome rifle and of the same quality of a Remington 700 or a Winchester Mod 70. The were discontinued due to some legal pressure from Remington and Winchester for patent infringement, because the purloined designs from Remington, Winchester and Browning.

Here is one that sold last Christmas for $720 with 52 bids. Lots of nice photos.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887228984

My 270 MR7 has some nice wood
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I did not see any post recommending the Marlin MR7 . . . I have a MR7 in .270 (my only one) and .30-06. They are very handsome rifle and of the same quality of a Remington 700 or a Winchester Mod 70. The were discontinued due to some legal pressure from Remington and Winchester for patent infringement, because the purloined designs from Remington, Winchester and Browning.

Here is one that sold last Christmas for $720 with 52 bids. Lots of nice photos.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887228984

My 270 MR7 has some nice wood
[Linked Image]

That's a great looking rifle. How does it shoot?
I would find a used Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional and be content. I have owned several and everyone of them shot under a 1/2” with at least one factory load
270 and win md 70 are synonymous I don’t care if you shoot 4 inch groups with it, it’s still the best 270 you can buy. Jack o told me himself many moons ago

I buy any 270 that strikes my fancy.
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
270 and win md 70 are synonymous I don’t care if you shoot 4 inch groups with it, it’s still the best 270 you can buy. Jack o told me himself many moons ago

Sorry I do care.
With a couple each 7x57 and 7mm Weatherby rifles, a .270 is of little utility to me. So my short answer is None.
Originally Posted by WAM
With a couple each 7x57 and 7mm Weatherby rifles, a .270 is of little utility to me. So my short answer is None.

That's about where I am. 7mm's in several chamberings then .30 then .338 so there is nothing to offer in that caliber.
They just don't make animals that cut off with one cartridge and then apply to the next caliber downwards.
Probably a Dakota m10. A .270 is a mild enough recoiling chambering to go well in a lighter wight rifle. As I’ve gotten older, I’m finding that I don’t like a lot of recoil or need a bunch of cartridges in a magazine to get the job done. A longer barrel on that m10 while still being a usable size would wring everything there is out of a .270 cartridge.
i would go kimber
I had a Savage 116 Weather Warrior with Accu stock and trigger that my wife and her brother bought for me when my .30-06 was in the shop for an extended stay. It was unbelievably accurate and shot almost every bullet into sub MOA groups. I had willed it to my brother in law because he liked it. I acquired a .30-06 Weatherby Vanguard 2 SS that shot about as well so I went ahead and gave the .270 to my brother in law. The other night we found 6 hogs rooting the pasture and he got 4 with 5 shots at over 200 yards. 3 were on the move after he shot the first one. He ran out of ammo and I shot a 5th one, so 1 survivor got away. Not too shabby for bolt rifles in the dark. If I were buying a .270W it would be a SS with synthetic stock Savage or Vanguard 2. I like wood and blue but I keep a rifle with me at all times for hog, dog, and coyote control and Stainless/Synthetic is a better choice for careless gun owners.
I have a Sako L-61 270 I like. Maybe one of those if you like older rifles.
Originally Posted by RickF
10 years ago? A M70 Fwt.

Today? 84L Montana. No brainer.

Late to the party but this ^^^^^

In fact, put a WTB ad in the classifieds for a buddy of mine doing exactly that - Kimber MT in 270.

I had one several years ago and really liked it. When it was stolen, I replaced it with a 280 AI mainly because I have a soft spot of the 0.284 caliber and the 280 cartridge in particular.
New to me JOC tribute M70 270. If I couldn’t get a pre 64 270, this would be it.

[Linked Image]
M70 Fwt. would do it for me.
The featherweight. or the EC
I grew up shooting .270s then drifted away but thinking about getting back into one. For a factory setup today, I would look first at a Sako 85.
Christensen Arms Ridgeline. Chambered in 270 WCF. I will mount a Leupold VH6. Mine shot like I expected. The one rifle in my safe that I would call, "money in the bank".
Agree with Crimson Tide. I have grown quite found of the CA Ridgeline rifles.
The better question would be "Why would you buy a .270 ?😊
Originally Posted by elkmen1

Because smarmy old crotchety O'Connor told them to 60 years ago
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by elkmen1

Because smarmy old crotchety O'Connor told them to 60 years ago

And it was good advice then and it is now.
I am in the process of trying to find a 270. At the top of my list is a Remington 700 KS stainless or a Kimber Montana. I need to sell my Remington 700 7 SAUM stainless.
I have a Model 70 Classis SS in 270, which I love. However, I have to say that the rifle I was most impressed with was a Savage stainless-steel bolt action with a muzzle brake that you could close or open with a simple twist (don't remember the model # but I bought it for my new SIL in 2005/2006 timeframe). I shot 6 or 7 factory loads (3-shot groups at 100 years) and the only 1 that was over an inch grouping was the old Hornady light magnum ammo. The trigger on that rifle was smooth and light. In retrospect I should of kept it for myself.
I just bought a Bergara B-14 Timber in .270 Win. Getting ready to load and chrony 130 gr Hornady SST’s when it quit raining.
Model 70

Pick your preference from a pre-64, Classic, or BACO. I have all three.

From there I would go to a Kimber, then a Fieldcraft.
Went w/ the M70 EW/SS...

Soulless killin' machine.

GR
My son in Colorado just got a Winchester Model 70 FWT in 270
last fall. Really nice set up with a Vortex 2.5x10.
Old Cuss
Browning lever action named the BLR. This is a modern rifle with rotating bolt operated by a lever.

Sherwood
I've got a wonderful old model 700 in .270 that's been in service since the late 60's...it doesn't need replacing.

But, if I where in the market for new, I'd be all over a Kimber Montana or Hunter model.... I'd send it off to PacNor for a new SS tube twisted 1/8 or so to take advantage of the new wave of longer high bc bullets....
Model 721 I saw at a pawn shop last week for 375.00
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I've got a wonderful old model 700 in .270 that's been in service since the late 60's...it doesn't need replacing.

But, if I where in the market for new, I'd be all over a Kimber Montana or Hunter model.... I'd send it off to PacNor for a new SS tube twisted 1/8 or so to take advantage of the new wave of longer high bc bullets....

Been contemplatin' that very thing w/ my old .270 WCF BDL.

GR
Originally Posted by Sherwood
Browning lever action named the BLR. This is a modern rifle with rotating bolt operated by a lever.

Sherwood

Ok,,,,, just like my BLR in .30-06.... Pretty Sweet... grin

Attached picture LJ's Lever Rifle....jpg
Did not buy these today, however the last rifles chambered for the 270 Win. that i purchased...

Merkel K3 Extrem

and the lastest

Browning A-Bolt, Trophy Grade

They had Good Wood!

ya!

GWB
Nice Turkey Mount GWB...and rifles.
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

The next 270 I build or barrel I replace will be with a faster twist also.
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR

The next 270 I build or barrel I replace will be with a faster twist also.

And the M700 magazine will allow you to throat the Bbl long enough to seat those high BC bullets like they were 140 gr.'s.

GR
This one.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...779512/gonew/1/kimber-montana-270#UNREAD
Speaking of 270’s I’ve had my eye on a 1957 model 70 in about 90% or better condition. The problem is that it has a few spots of pitting, one the size of your pinky by the end of the barrel and a couple of other spots that not nearly as bad. It’s a featherweight and I’d really appreciate any thoughts as to the value. Pre 64 model 70’s are not my strong suit. The thing sure feels good when you pull it up.
Just happened to add another one to the herd.

Tom Burgess G33/40.

Originally Posted by Whitebird
Just happened to add another one to the herd.

Tom Burgess G33/40.

WOW!
Was that Tom Burgess mauser at a shop in Lewiston? Beautiful!

One that had .280 stamped on the barrel.

I,m lucky I have 3 different one, A Vanguard S2, A 1952 Model 270, plan Jane, and A Sako A7, new. All are just a as accurate below a inch at a hundred yard,

is all I require. The Vanguard is a Stainless model, very reliable, a little heavy, with a great trigger, hold 6 shells. The model 70 is the cheapest model made it was a hand me down.

Still very accurate, a little heavy like the Vanguard. I like the controls on it better than the other 2 especially the safety. The Sako A7 is the Lightest of the three, and always produces

more speed from a given load than the other 2 usually 30 to 40 FPS. I line the 3 lug bolt, and the action is very smooth, the Vanguard is second smoothest. Not crazy about the Magazine

Hard to remove, of course they will not fall out. Hard to decide which I like most. Just about equal. I would also look at the all stainless Model 70.

One more thing, not that it matters but the bore and rifling on the Sako is far superior to the other 2 , the Model 70 is very good, but i do not know how many rounds went thru it.

The Vanguard has a very rough bore. I guess they are in a hurry when it come to Cutting the rifling.
Originally Posted by kenster99

No... But an old bullet maker from Lewiston played a key role in the build of the rifle. smile.

No... But an old bullet maker from Lewiston played a key role in the build of the rifle. smile.

I almost passed out when I saw all them 130 BBCs and wondered about the rifles make. Very cool WB. That’s a killing stash of BBCs!

I almost passed out when I saw all them 130 BBCs and wondered about the rifles make. Very cool WB. That’s a killing stash of BBCs!

Maybe some 150's will help stabilize you.... smile.

That ain’t right. I have a decent stash of the 130’s and 150’s as well. Probably about 1/2 what you have pictured and man, they are still my favorite. I find my happy place when I can make a BBC hit to the same spot at 300 yards as a similar weight PT or AB.

I’ve yet to see anything knock elk flat like the 175’s out of my Mashburn. It made me a believer. I still remember driving down the mountain to tell Bob about it.

Man.... I’m still a little green with envy about that pile.
I bet those 175's kill like lightning.
I miss Bob and Bill....
Encore
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Encore

OK...

I bet those 175's kill like lightning.
I miss Bob and Bill....

Same here buddy.
Encore

OK...

Woooo!
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Encore

OK...

Woooo!

smile.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
After owning about a dozen 270s over the years I finally landed on a Winchester 70 Featherweight Winlite with the blind magazine. It is near perfection in a hunting rifle in my opinion. One ragged hole accurate, excellent trigger, extremely well balanced and relatively lightweight. Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 it is my go to rifle.

Nice rig. I would like to try one of those Conquest 2.5x8x32s out.

3 choices, in order 1) Kimber Mountain Ascent, 2) Rem 700 CDL - SF, 3) Win 70 "extreme weather" stainless.
Ended up with a model 70 today...here's a couple of quick pics.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Looks great! Congrats
[quote=LeakyWaders]Ended up with a model 70 today...here's a couple of quick pics.

Good looking rig.

Jerry

Sweet

Well stated.

Is that a JOC tribute rifle? that's beautiful Winchester.

EDIT: Nevermind that is a french walnut supergrade.

Agree
If I were to buy one today , I would buy the Savage 116 stainless with the plastic stock. It is $499 plus tax and it is brand new.

Originally Posted by ihookem
If I were to buy one today , I would buy the Savage 116 stainless with the plastic stock. It is $499 plus tax and it is brand new.

Link,?
Tikka
Originally Posted by Remington280

Link,?

It is at Midwest Shooters Supply in Lomira , Wisconsin. Saw it the other day, it had the fluted action and was a nice light gun. Had it been a .243 Win, I would have bought it.
I just sold a model 70 featherweight for a friend and started reading this and thought Holy crap I just sold the Holy grail of 270s

I thought oh well

A month later another friend called my and has an unfired model 70 Featherweight new in box never fired well I made him an offer and I guess I got a second chance. This gun was bought about 27 years ago and has sat

After reading the comments here it's a must have👍

Hank
I only one 270 rifle. Barrett Fieldcraft and it's a gem.
But from a simplicity standpoint...hard to argue with a stainless Tikka.
Model 70 Super Grade french walnut. My oldest son will be getting one for his birthday this year. I've been hiding it from him for 2yrs now and I can't wait to shoot it with him.

A Pre-64 for me,, and you know the load!
Originally Posted by VOLhunter
Model 70 Super Grade french walnut. My oldest son will be getting one for his birthday this year. I've been hiding it from him for 2yrs now and I can't wait to shoot it with him.

Your son is fortunate, indeed.
Custom Mauser.
After 11 pages I'm surprised that not one of you before me has offered up the old tang safety Ruger M77. I have an RS model with knock out wood and it shoots as good as it looks.
Guess I am kinda old school a mid 80's 700 adl in 270. Few years back a PO Ackley on a Mark X and 2 HVA style small ring FN clones with chrome lined high standard barrels. Both have irons and Vari X ll 3×9's . They all shoot really well and easy on a guy. About as simple as it gets and not one of them ever made me look at some guys butt. Mb
Originally Posted by Caplock
After 11 pages I'm surprised that not one of you before me has offered up the old tang safety Ruger M77. I have an RS model with knock out wood and it shoots as good as it looks.

Already have one and a custom Mauser in 270. Both great rifles.
M70.
Originally Posted by pullit

I agree with that for practical reasons, but a pre64 M70 FW would be very fitting in 270.
Originally Posted by waterrat

69/4831 with 130gr Sierra.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

69gr of H4831 wow that’s a lot of powder.,
an early 700
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by SuperCub

69gr of H4831 wow that’s a lot of powder.,

Thumbs at work before 1st coffee. Should be 59gr. smile
Early 700 ADL's are real shooters, same on BDL's. Rem 700 Stainless in a CDL stock is really a piece of work. My Ruger mark II ss with the boat paddle stock will be a 280 Rem before long, it has killed 150+ deer. I shot the barrel out of a Parker Hale in 270, wish I had another.
Kimber 84L very nice platform IMHO.
Wouldn't buy a 270 or other long action cartridge, can't stand the long bolt throw.
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Wouldn't buy a 270 or other long action cartridge, can't stand the long bolt throw.

That's funny. laugh
Originally Posted by CRS

That's funny. laugh

Hilarious crazy

Wow, then you really must loathe a magnum length action mad

Finding one, like I already have

a 90s, Model 70 Classic, with a BOSS on the end of it...

That's pretty disgusting.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

That's pretty disgusting.

Yeah. That 1/2" is just intolerable. crazy

Jerry
I'd buy a new win model 70 EW and a quality 3-9x40 scope.
I bought a Kimber Hunter
Tikka T3 lite, ten years a great rifle
None. You wankers are welcome to my share.
Just bought an adl 700 270 on gunbroker. That's been my choice for a long time
Pre 64 model 70 FW 270 win only rifle I had for years did it all . Last 5 years .bin shooting pre 64 70 FW rebored to 338/06. its fun to If buying new for me rifle today I go with a pre 64 270 FW . I would try a faster twist barrel now. if building or rebarreling if not the old 1/10 twist would be fine. I have lots of other rifles now in different calibers. Could have saved lots of mouny if I would have just kept shooting that old 270. I would not have got any more game. But that wouldn't have bin near as much fun. I hunted eastern Mt in the 80s it was a great rig for that country.
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
Tikka T3 lite, ten years a great rifle

Bought mine ^^ in 2003...... no 'regerts' grin

Jerry
not mine, but if I was going to buy a 270 I would get this one

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/barrett-fieldcraft-rifle.269064/
I am buying and older model 700 BDL .270 for my step daughter!!
This question is too easy. The first Winchester 270 I ran into. Jack was right.
I'd be looking for an older Sako AV. Have one in 25-06 that is a quality hunting rifle for sure. Although I do love me Sako 85 Hunter in 270win too:) AHHHHH Hell buy the Tikka!
If you are match shooting, I really don’t know. If you are going to use it to hunt, buy something either used or the best deal you can get on sale. And only buy if they have ammunition to sell also. About all new rifles and ammunition will do for anything you want to hunt.

Be realistic about weight of bullet appropriate for what you are hunting. There are experts here on 24hourcampfire that have already written on bullet selection for every kind of game with years of experience and good advice.

Christensen
Probly a Ruger 77 tang safety with locking blue bolt in as good conditions as I could find. Aged Purple receiver would be nice. Have someone that knows what they’re doing do the trigger and bedding; maybe in an old Ultralight wood stock arrived redone in a classic finish flavor and have a real classic. If the barrel didn’t turn out replace it with a reasonably priced exchange. Maybe E.R.Shaw cut a little long to as leave it maybe 23” after lapping. Brand leaves some slack as to what you find important to spend the coin on. The short ultralight stock with a slightly longish barrel lends itself to to Old English stalking style but far from being new. Let’s leave new or nearly so ideas till tomorrow.
M70 Stainless FWT and bolt into an EDGE.
My last 2 are Kimber 84Ls, one a Classic and the last one the Hunter model. #13 for me, ha but I don't accumulate. One at a time is all my OCD can focus on. smile
Tikka
Originally Posted by Fotis
Tikka

Double on this
If I was in the market I'd go Tikka in S.S. for myself.

If someone wanted wood and blue I like the Mod. 70 FW.

All that said I'll just keep using my early 70's Rem. 700 BDL. It has never let me down.
Just bought my step daughter a 80's era model 700 BDL.. I love it hope she will too.. .270..
For hunting. A Remington ADL. To match my .243 and .223.
kwg
Lots of good choices here. Only .270 I ever saw that I really didn't want was a Japanese-made "Winchester" 95 - no good place to mount a scope.

One of my late friends used a .270 BAR. Worked for him.
the 6.5 Swede one....
A good .270 is worth its weight in pork chops.. 💪

That's is a beautiful Model 70. Nice Porker as well.
Here’s one of my 270’s. A 1960 FW with full wrap checkering, grip cap and Winchester pad

Attached picture 2301BEC0-0DBB-4FB4-8A5F-5AEC303B1EAD.jpeg
Attached picture 03C20A57-E7A7-40C1-9A85-F0EA5074CDB3.jpeg
Kimber 84L in Classic or Montana.

I had a .270W Savage 116 Weather Warrior stainless with accu-stock and accu-trigger that was the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. Was good with a variety of loads. Let my brother in law have as a gift since he had been good to me and our kids and he admired the rifle so much. He visited a few weeks ago and killed 4 of 6 hogs in a little bunch. 200+ yards. I managed to get out and get one with my .30-06 so we may have had one get away clean or wounded, we don't know. They sell for over $600 and they are good.

I agree, that long bolt throw just tuckers a guy out!

I would never hunt with a 270. I only have one I took in on trade, so it’s for sale.
© 24hourcampfire