Home
Posted By: MallardAddict McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Saw a thread on snipershide that McMillan stocks was sold to Bob Beck. Anyone got any info on this?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
How about a link to the thread you saw?

Thanks,

Jason
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by 4th_point
How about a link to the thread you saw?

Thanks,

Jason

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mcmillan.7052114/#post-9179064

Seems Dave Tooley confirmed it and I doubt his sources were bad.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Maybe new ownership is what that company needs...
Posted By: beretzs Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Man, they are shipping stocks fast right now. I ordered two on Dec 4 and had them both by New Years. Never seen them shipped so quick.
Posted By: handwerk Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Beretzs, where either of your stocks M70 w/edge fill? if so what weight did they come in at?
Posted By: Kaleb Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
Man, they are shipping stocks fast right now. I ordered two on Dec 4 and had them both by New Years. Never seen them shipped so quick.

Wow that’s fast! That doesn’t even give me time to afford them...grin. Maybe they will start getting them out a little faster now.
Posted By: beretzs Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Wow that’s fast! That doesn’t even give me time to afford them...grin. Maybe they will start getting them out a little faster now.

I know man! I wasn't ready for the two to hit at the same darned time myself! Oh well, can't complain about that sorta service.
Posted By: devnull Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
I always liked McMillan stocks. I have to winder why they sold out....Could it be that there is more competition than ever now for a fiberglass stock? Never have I seen so many new composite stock makers out there (and cheaper).
Posted By: RickBin Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
This is CONFIRMED gentlemen.

Changes coming ...
Posted By: pullit Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
I like their stock but CS sucks. Hope they get that fixed
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Worth mentioning this man was so very instrumental in McMillan's success. I had many conversations with him over the years and he was as my former 'smith stated "there is no doubt Dick Davis is the best man in the fiberglass stock business!":

Remembering Dick Davis

They say it was a sad day at McMillan when Dick left for Lazzeroni but there was much joy when he returned!

Dick did alot for me and I will always remember him for his fantastic advice, knowledge and excellent customer service!

And I'll add kudos to Eileen for excellent CS as well.

I wish all the best for Kelly McMillan and family and that goes for the new incoming owners!

I would like to see the weight come down a few ounces. The two that came in last week were a McMillan hunter for a Howa that weighs 35 ounces. My wife wanted the purple gel coat swirl so. The other is a mountain rifle pattern edge fill in the carbon ambush that has a couple molded in colors. It weighs just shy of 27 ounces so it’s not as bad. I know if I’d just be happy with normal colors they would weigh less.

Faster lead times and lower prices would be cool but I don’t expect that at all especially the price part. I doubt anyone would buy out a company and be able to come in and reduce the price of the products.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Worth mentioning this man was so very instrumental in McMillan's success. I had many conversations with him over the years and he was as my former 'smith stated "there is no doubt Dick Davis is the best man in the fiberglass stock business!":

Remembering Dick Davis

They say it was a sad day at McMillan when Dick left for Lazzeroni but there was much joy when he returned!

Dick did alot for me and I will always remember him for his fantastic advice, knowledge and excellent customer service!

I wish all the best for Kelly McMillan and family and that goes for the new incoming owners!

I agree with you about Dick Davis and hope that the new owners address the customer service issues that have been present for the past few years.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21

Faster lead times and lower prices would be cool but I don’t expect that at all especially the price part. I doubt anyone would buy out a company and be able to come in and reduce the price of the products.

Good points. I called to inquire about a stock a week ago and a camo gel stock with studs, pad, etc was going to be like $750 out the door and a 6 month wait...
Posted By: gene270 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
i just cant digest 700 for a stock anymore...i guess remembering the 350-400 dollar days makes it harder also
Posted By: 300MAG Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by RickBin

Changes coming ...

Orders you recently made with McMillan are still good to go Rick???
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
I would like to see the weight come down a few ounces. The two that came in last week were a McMillan hunter for a Howa that weighs 35 ounces. My wife wanted the purple gel coat swirl so. The other is a mountain rifle pattern edge fill in the carbon ambush that has a couple molded in colors. It weighs just shy of 27 ounces so it’s not as bad. I know if I’d just be happy with normal colors they would weigh less.

SA or LA?

Dang, a Weatherby SA Griptonite only weighs 4oz more than that, and I thought it was an anvil.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Good points. I called to inquire about a stock a week ago and a camo gel stock with studs, pad, etc was going to be like $750 out the door and a 6 month wait...

I know it they’ve really gone up. When I first started buying them I waited until the annual Christmas sale. I apologize if I’m remembering wrong but I want to say standard gel coat stocks were $399 normally $449 or $499. Edge fill stocks were $499 normally $599. That said no one is twisting my arm to order them. I love the stocks and unless I get the nerve to try a Manners I’ll keep ordering and paying it when I need a stock. The only reason I haven’t tried a Manners is all the posts/threads about none of the stocks showing up correctly. I’ve never had that problem with McMillan. Yet anyway.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

SA or LA?

Dang, a Weatherby SA Griptonite only weighs 4oz more than that, and I thought it was an anvil.

Short action. Yes sir I know it. I understand the shape stock I like is a bigger stock than say a mountain rifle classic or compact. That said I even asked for as light of fill as possible. Hate to think what magnum fill would weigh. I don’t have a list of weight on all my stocks or all the ones I’ve had but I think 35 ounces is getting on up there for a sporter stock. Like I said though if we could be normal people and happy with regular colors we could save some weight and money too. That part is all on me.
Posted By: RickBin Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Originally Posted by 300MAG

Changes coming ...

Orders you recently made with McMillan are still good to go Rick???

Yes. smile
Posted By: Brad Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21
Maybe new ownership is what that company needs...

Man, I guess...
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: McMillan sold? - 01/11/21

Changes coming ...

Change is good.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
Not necessarily. Leupold, Marlin, Remington, H&R.........change sure was great for those outfits.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
Keep in mind McMillan builds custom stocks in many configurations, not all stock makers do that. CNC in letting, various fills, etc etc.

Great article on the wait times etc.

McMillan Custom Stocks: What Can They Do For Your Gun?
Posted By: beretzs Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21

I know it they’ve really gone up. When I first started buying them I waited until the annual Christmas sale. I apologize if I’m remembering wrong but I want to say standard gel coat stocks were $399 normally $449 or $499. Edge fill stocks were $499 normally $599. That said no one is twisting my arm to order them. I love the stocks and unless I get the nerve to try a Manners I’ll keep ordering and paying it when I need a stock. The only reason I haven’t tried a Manners is all the posts/threads about none of the stocks showing up correctly. I’ve never had that problem with McMillan. Yet anyway.

Same here. I’m too chicken to order much else cause they’ve worked so well for me.

I have been eyeballing the AG Composites for my sons MK5 300 Wby. McMillan only inlets the Weatherby style stock and it’s not a great for either of us and it is bound to be heavy. The AG is 25-26 ounces. About the same price as an EDGE as well.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
I will try a AG in the altitude if I’m remembering right they make them for Mesa. I like the looks or style of it well the best I can without touching one. If they would have a inlet for the Howa/Vanguard I would have ordered one this time, or do they and I just didn’t see it?

At the end of the day I’ve never received a McMillan we haven’t liked.
It looks like they’re only a hour and a half from me. Might need to go take a look sometime.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
I think they're overrated and way overpriced anyway, and I have a couple. I've never had a rifle shoot better because it's wearing a Mickey.
The price increase a year ago was the first in 7 years. The only other stock I would consider would be a Manners and they are about the same price range. But why change if McMillans have been so stellar? Some of you remember these?

2001 Yote, McMillan BDL, Rem 700
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

2003 Shiras, McMillan Supergrade, Model 70

2020 Muley, McMillan Hunters Edge, Rem 700Ti
I remember the coyote bomber stocks. The way I remember it you turned a lot of people on to the 50 25 25 colors.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/mcmillan.7052114/#post-9179064

Seems Dave Tooley confirmed it and I doubt his sources were bad.

Thanks for the link.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by gene270
i just cant digest 700 for a stock anymore...i guess remembering the 350-400 dollar days makes it harder also

I'm in the same boat.
Posted By: gunzo Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
I don't know that I'll ever add another Mc to the ones I have. But just glad they didn't get gobbled up by a conglomerate.
Posted By: Teal Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
I was never their customer and am unlikely to become their customer but wish them well with new owners.
Posted By: Northman Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
Seems some stock types have disappeared from their webpage.

The Anschutz 1700 FWT stock I was planning to buy, is no longer on their website.
I was there in December.
Originally Posted by Northman
Seems some stock types have disappeared from their webpage.

The Anschutz 1700 FWT stock I was planning to buy, is no longer on their website.
I was there in December.

I called McMillan and will pass on this information.

The less popular offerings such as the Anschutz 1700 FWT stock are being discontinued. The reason I was told is due to the inletting process. It takes time to set up the machinery and it slows the production process to set up the machinery just for one or two stocks. This makes sense if you have many stock orders of different makes with custom options, the not so popular stocks are going to slow production down for the rest of the orders. I did personally see a photo of a recent stock order that was completed in just over 2 months with other testimonials of custom stock orders completed about the same.

They are undergoing changes, seems one of the main complaints was the long wait times. This was due to the many different stocks and the CNC inletting process McMillan has offered trying to cover a wide customer base. The person did tell me the more popular lines of stocks will see shorter wait times and that seems to be the case.

And before you all pile on with your rants ask yourself how you would do it not having any experience building quality rifle stocks in a production setting?

If your not happy with the changes McMillan is making then move on, go buy a Manners, B&C, AG or whatever. Nobody is forcing you to choose McMillan.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
McMillan has been claiming shorter wait times for 15 years, lol. It never happened, you just have to plan 6 months ahead.
McMillan has been claiming shorter wait times for 15 years, lol. It never happened, you just have to plan 6 months ahead.

Dogcatcher,

McMillan's reps have always been up front on their long wait times if you placed a custom order in the past. They do seem to be shortening wait times on certain orders. To be fair, certain Manners stocks took just as long if you check other forums. It just all depends on the order. I'll gladly wait a few extra months for a quality rifle stock. Try placing an order for a custom wood stock from a custom gunsmith and see how long you wait.

From their website on March 2, 2009:

18. How long will it take to get my stock?
We keep an assortment of hunting and sporting stocks on the shelf for those customers that want a standard stock without having to wait to have it made. They are all drop-in stocks, always painted black with Pachmayr Presentation pads at 13.5" LOP and Uncle Mike sling swivel studs. For custom, made to order stocks, delivery time varies depending on the number of orders we are working on at the time. Our customer service reps will give an honest estimate of how long your order will take to complete.

19. Why does it take so long to get a stock?
We offer each customer the ability to custom order your stock, including choice of finishes, recoil pads, adjustable cheekpieces, adjustable butt plates, and custom barrel channels. Each stock is ordered, produced, inletted, finished and delivered according to a specific order from an individual customer. It takes time to produce a custom product to the standards our customers and we have established." Source

Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
I guarantee he did not order a custom stock and get it in two weeks. Must have been in inventory. McMillan literally told me last week I was looking at 5-6 months when I called. Same lead time i can remember for the last 15 years. I think I got one in 4 months once though.
I guarantee he did not order a custom stock and get it in two weeks. Must have been in inventory. McMillan literally told me last week I was looking at 5-6 months when I called. Same lead time i can remember for the last 15 years. I think I got one in 4 months once though.

5-6 months is nothing in the custom rifle/stock building world. McMillans are worth the wait.
Posted By: Judman Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
Kinda reminds me of Remington rifles, Talley lw’s and leupolds, if ya don’t like them or the service, go elsewhere and quit bitchin.. pretty simple really.
Posted By: Judman Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

5-6 months is nothing in the custom rifle/stock building world. Sometimes its worth the wait.

Exactly, McMillan is a fuuck of a lot faster than my taxidermist!! 😂😂
Posted By: Northman Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
The great thing about McMillan is that they had so much variation.. both in stocks and actions.

I absolutely understand why they might streamline a bit... but now they have 18 different tactical stocks. 18...
They actually had more a few weeks ago...

Most other producers have a hunter model and tactical stock.
Inletted for Rem 700 and maaaaybe Tikka T3 or Howa.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
I will try a AG in the altitude if I’m remembering right they make them for Mesa. I like the looks or style of it well the best I can without touching one. If they would have a inlet for the Howa/Vanguard I would have ordered one this time, or do they and I just didn’t see it?

At the end of the day I’ve never received a McMillan we haven’t liked.

I’ve got a AG on my last Alamo build. I like it.
Posted By: Sheister Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21

Changes coming ...

What kind of changes Rick? Don't leave us hanging... wink
Posted By: MadMooner Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21
I've only a few McMillans. They are certainly nice stocks.

The last two I placed an order, then started looking for a used stock. Both times I was able to find the McMillan I wanted in a couple months for about half the money. That's kind of a nice thing about the long wait, plenty of time to score a deal and cancel the order.

If you want a one off, or really need it to match your favorite bowling ball, then it is what it is.
Posted By: aalf Re: McMillan sold? - 01/12/21

One part of the equation folks don't take into consideration on wait times, is that there are a hell of a lot more distributors ordering and stocking McMillan stocks than back in "The good 'ol days.....
Posted By: beretzs Re: McMillan sold? - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by Judman
Kinda reminds me of Remington rifles, Talley lw’s and leupolds, if ya don’t like them or the service, go elsewhere and quit bitchin.. pretty simple really.

Amen, and again, they’re hammering out stocks, or at least the last two I got pretty darned quick. Under a month from ordering till they hit my CC.
Posted By: handwerk Re: McMillan sold? - 01/13/21
My last two mcmillan's, model 70 compact edges arrived in about 3 months.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: McMillan sold? - 01/13/21
I just checked their website. Looks like my favorite McM, the Winlite pattern with schnable forend is no more.
Posted By: Northman Re: McMillan sold? - 01/13/21
Just strange they didn't announce it a few weeks in advance.
Then somebody that was on the fence, would order before they are gone.

I remember a year or two back, when they also did a "re-arrangment" and allot of interesting stocks vanished before one could order one.
Posted By: JPro Re: McMillan sold? - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

I'm in the same boat.

Yep. $450 is about my limit for a synthetic hunting stock handle. Would have to be a very special rifle to justify $700.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: McMillan sold? - 01/13/21
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

I'm in the same boat.

Yep. $450 is about my limit for a synthetic hunting stock handle. Would have to be a very special rifle to justify $700.

If not McMillan then consider a Manners Composite at about $630 or AG Composites at about $550 (those are approximate prices). Both make great stocks with great reviews and CS.
Posted By: Daveh Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21
For a reality check....

I spoke to a reputable builder in SD about a build and mentioned that I didn’t have a stock.
Here is an option he provided.....

I have some unfinished AG Composites Privateers on hand. They’re very traditional shape and very light. Stock, inletting, bedding, finishing, standard hardware, and Hawkins Precision bottom metal will be around $1500.
Posted By: dale06 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21

I have 10-12 of them. Great stocks, but have become too expensive and the long wait does not work for me any more.
And as some above have suggested, “if you don’t like it, move on.” I have done so. I’ve passed on McMillans on several builds in the last 18 months.
Posted By: JPro Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21
H-S handles aren’t my favorite, but were on sale last month for $320. A good laminate take-off is often $175 or so for a sporter. Makes it hard to justify $700 unless you need a lot of customization or have to be super light.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Daveh
For a reality check....

I spoke to a reputable builder in SD about a build and mentioned that I didn’t have a stock.

I have some unfinished AG Composites Privateers on hand. They’re very traditional shape and very light. Stock, inletting, bedding, finishing, standard hardware, and Hawkins Precision bottom metal will be around $1500.

The Privateer I have on order was $603 with shipping. Inletted, pillared, finished with std hdwe. 10 weeks. I bought the Hawkins M-5 separately for $175.... So, all in for under $800. That makes your guy $700 for a bed job.....
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Daveh
For a reality check....

The Privateer I have on order was $603 with shipping. Inletted, pillared, finished with std hdwe. 10 weeks. I bought the Hawkins M-5 separately for $175.... So, all in for under $800. That makes your guy $700 for a bed job.....

Yep....well I take that back....no. AG Composites website states: "Call for gun builder pricing and details". So I can't say Yep......it may be a $800 bedding charge.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
it may be a $800 bedding charge.

Dayum!!!!

That’s the kind of [bleep] Charlie Sheen would go for!!!
Posted By: gene270 Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21
i have a local guy that makes his own stocks....stock,paint,bedding $800.00 complete, i am going this route next time i do something
Posted By: Daveh Re: McMillan sold? - 01/15/21
The outfit I quoted is really good and honestly I have seen several AG stocks that weren’t inlet well.
Regardless this is how some outfits are charging $5k and up for a rifle.....Time = $$
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: McMillan sold? - 01/16/21

Must have had them already finished in the store
Posted By: beretzs Re: McMillan sold? - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Maybe, but the one was a Hunters EDGE for a P64 with Sunny Hill BM 14" LOP with a red Pachmayr and the other was for my M700 Ultimate ML also with a 14" LOP. So, maybe I just got darned lucky. I haven't had much over a 2 month wait on a stock from them the past year. They still quote me the 4-6 months but it is usually half or less, at least the last 5-6 stocks..

Now, on the other hand, I have been waiting over 6 months for Echols to get a run of Legends.. Those are like RL26, Unobtanium!
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: McMillan sold? - 01/16/21

Maybe, but the one was a Hunters EDGE for a P64 with Sunny Hill BM 14" LOP with a red Pachmayr and the other was for my M700 Ultimate ML also with a 14" LOP. So, maybe I just got darned lucky. I haven't had much over a 2 month wait on a stock from them the past year. They still quote me the 4-6 months but it is usually half or less, at least the last 5-6 stocks..

Now, on the other hand, I have been waiting over 6 months for Echols to get a run of Legends.. Those are like RL26, Unobtanium!

You didn't get lucky in receiving your stock so soon. I saw many customers commenting on another website they received their stocks fairly fast.

I received an email today from McMillan announcing the change of ownership:

"We are thrilled to announce that Bob Beck of Extreme Outer Limits, MOA Rifles, and Rugged Ridge Outdoor Gear, a longtime customer and friend of Kelly McMillan, has purchased McMillan Fiberglass Stocks. Bob’s plan is to continue the success of the legendary brand Kelly and the McMillan family built. He is committing resources to reduce delivery times and maintain McMillan’s dominance as the premium brand for synthetic rifle stocks on the market."
I got the same email. I like McMillans. I don’t get surprises when I open the box and I know I can expect a high quality handle. I wished their EDGE stocks were a touch lighter but whatever.

You're probably right, that's not a stock they keep around in the store too much!

Of course, I just ordered a Bansner in the raw. He said about two weeks to ship.

I've got a 2-3 years supply of RL-26. Things had better loosen up by then or I'll be pizzed........
I got the same email. I like McMillans. I don’t get surprises when I open the box and I know I can expect a high quality handle. I wished their EDGE stocks were a touch lighter but whatever.

The stiffest, AND the lightest stock I own is a Wildcat Composites. It's every bit as stiff as my Edge. In the raw $320 to my door a couple years ago. Alas, his insurance company will not let him sell to the US of A. Too much gun litigation down here was the reason. I am really bummed over this........
I’ve heard they’re wicked but never owned one.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: McMillan sold? - 01/16/21

The stiffest, AND the lightest stock I own is a Wildcat Composites. It's every bit as stiff as my Edge. In the raw $320 to my door a couple years ago. Alas, his insurance company will not let him sell to the US of A. Too much gun litigation down here was the reason. I am really bummed over this........

When did this occur?
Damn.
They are really nice stocks.
Posted By: LeftHunter Re: McMillan sold? - 01/16/21
Me too, I was all set to order another tikka wildcat and he said it’s a no go for now. I really hope that changes soon! Trully amazing stock for any price but crazy good for how cheap they are. Granted, they require some finishing know how but nothing touches them in they weight abd stiffness realm. He said he is working on a tikka stock set up for carbon fiber barrels so hopefully it all works out at the same time since I have a carbon fiber hells canyon barrel laying around needing a good home!

AKW, I'm pretty sure just recently. I talked to him just before Christmas. He says he's going to try and see if the insurance company will relent if USA customers are willing to sign a waiver
Doesn't sound promising.........
© 24hourcampfire