Home
Just wondering if you folks are shooting as much as you normally do? I haven't done much with my rifles since Nov. but for other reasons.. But we are going to take a little trip and maybe do some target shooting in the desert.. Are you folks shooting as much as normal??
Gale winds and arctic temps so no
For this time of year, yes. I've a pretty good air gun range in the basement.
Yes. I rarely shoot targets aside from a little bit of shooting plates every now and again. Fortunately I live in a target rich environment and shoot a pig or coyote at least weekly.
It's still deer season through the end of this month...and a little into next month. I shoot less this time of year than any other. So yeah....I'm shooting about the same as I usually do this time of year.

March and April I'll get cranked up again. Hopefully some of the reloading supplies I have on backorder will be coming in.
Short answer,

NO!

GWB
Yes WCH but I’m NOT wasting components blowing holes in paper.

I shoot vermin on opportunity.

I stay in tune (tuned up) with a 22LR, a little 22 WM & 6 mm Rem.

Yet not so much as to diminish my inventory. I’m scouting feral hogs in my
area and baiting coyotes, which is legal.

Good Luck In All Things WCH

Jerry
Yes, more load development and production. Don' t see any point in having any empty brass laying around period. I was a boy scout way back when, and I never forgot " be prepared" . Speaking of that does anyone see another round of mass public panic buying coming up? Food, medical stuff, fuels etc.?
Yes. The 5 year old wants to shoot that 10/22 every chance he can.
Yup. Got a lot of new toys and been futzing around swapping scopes.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Yup. Got a lot of new toys and been futzing around swapping scopes.

Ditto. Today I scoped a recently acquired Mauser M12, last week a couple of rimfires.
Starting this week....no.
I hunt coyotes about once/week and shoot steel about the same. I have a SS 3-9 HD and really enjoy being as precise as I can hold steady at longer distances. It makes shooting in the wind a lot more fun. I have recently been working on getting better shooting offhand at 100 yards. An 8" steel at 100 is not a gimmegrin Our weather has been perfect and it is hard to stay in the house. Sunday we will depart for 2-3 weeks in central and northern Nevada and I hope to hunt or hike everyday.

mike r
Shooting more now than I have in years. No reason to hoard components if you aren't gonna use them.
Yeah im still shooting as much as ever for now as i have a solid 5 year supply of reloading supplies but if things don't losin up by next year at this time i will cut way back on my shooting.....Hb
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Just wondering if you folks are shooting as much as you normally do? I haven't done much with my rifles since Nov. but for other reasons.. But we are going to take a little trip and maybe do some target shooting in the desert.. Are you folks shooting as much as normal??

Nope , kinda worried about reloading supplies so cut back a bit.
Cold temperatures have slowed me down but anytime it gets above 40 or so I am burning ammo, after all in about 3 months gophers will be popping up.

drover
My son is loving the can on his Ruger Charger chassis setup.

So, he is. Me, not so much. Practice with air rifles offhand in the shop mostly.
Yes, if a dozen or so rounds a year count. That's normal for me - hell sometimes it's double that.

Haven't popped a cap since Aug 11 on that last caribou. Don't need to - the rifles are tuned and probably good to go for next hunting season. I'll check the sight-ins then again, before hunting.

Usually 1-3 rounds per rifle, unless something goes south.
I’m not shooting much at all. My regular range banned magnums, so that limits me to mostly 22s. I’m trying not to waste components for my non-magnums. Bought a pellet gun for shooting at home.
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Shooting more now than I have in years. No reason to hoard components if you aren't gonna use them.

I’m not hoarding. I’m prepared for now and IF there’s a future.

I have more loaded than I’ll live long enuff to shoot ! !

Jerry
Not really. The rifle range is muddy as hell what with rain, snow, and freezing temperatures. I get in a little handgun shooting in the back yard, but that’s about it. I’ll dig out the rifles in the Spring.
Yes, usually once or twice a week if weather cooperates. Have to get to the range before noon because the sun is blinding by about 2;30. The wind was pretty bad last week & have an ear infection this week, but if it's not too breezy I think tomorrow's the day.
No, but that had more to do with our deer season going through December.

Me and my son did go to our club to start this year off right which was fun.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Just wondering if you folks are shooting as much as you normally do? I haven't done much with my rifles since Nov. but for other reasons...

Same for me - haven't been out since hunting season ended. I'm pretty well stocked up on most of what I shoot so not too much of an issue but need to be careful with large rifle primers. I have made changes to some scope mounts and added a red dot to a handgun so do have some sight in work to do. Other than that, I've been thinking it may be a good time to focus on some of my black powder pursuits. An order of 2500 percussion caps just arrived, black powder is readily available, and I just ordered a couple new muzzleloaders.
If I'm not, is there a new prescription drug for me?
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Meth?
Nope. I switched jobs and no longer have Fridays off. I was at the range quite a bit with my last job. When Covid set in, we were 2 days on 2 days off, so I got a lot of shooting in for a few weeks in April and May. Trying to move things around now so I can get out to the indoor range at least 3 Thursdays a month or so to shoot pistols.
Yes
I am in Arizona, so I take a day a week to wander out into the hills and call for coyotes, and occasionally get a shot. We also have an area, a few min from the house where we have a great backstop to shoot whenever we want. I have a substantial supply of components and ammo, but don't waste it.
Short answer as to hunting rifles, no. I have acquired a piston powered adult pellet rifle, Weihrauch HW90. I can practice all I want and not worry about diminishing my reloading supplies.
Schit no....
Retired now so shooting more than ever. I hit the range 1-5 times a week depending on weather.
Originally Posted by Fotis
Gale winds and arctic temps so no

^ this.

Once things warm up it’ll be a couple deer rifles fore which I have a super abundance of components & .22; the AR, Glock, and 1911 will all continue to be idle.
No. Back and weather
I'm shooting as much as I ever have. It's great stress relief during these unprecedented times. I especially like practicing head shots on 8x10 photos of political figures.
I am not. Just checked my records and last year shot/loaded maybe 1,000 rounds. Have only 2500 primers so I need to slow down!
Yes, and that's the problem. I'm lucky if I make it to the range a few times per year.
I have my own 530-yard rifle range. Now, I shoot mainly to test new loads. I just shot the last two deer for the year (with my Henry single-shot 30-30). I have been loading and storing quite a bit, because of the uncertainty of things. I have enough stuff to equip me for years-barring too many long target sessions. I have some powder and bullets that I have no problem shooting on the range, for testing purposes, as there are more than enough to take care of any possible scenario.

I, personally, believe that if Bite-on gets in (which he is not going to), it would destroy the shooting sports overall. Just my take.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Meth?

They only prescribe that to kids. Oh, and for ADHD, ODD. Disgusting, that they prescribe actual methamphetamine to kids.
No, but only because deer season is still going. I might check a rifle’s zero but that’s about it for a couple of weeks.

After deer season I’ll be back to normal. Some guys play golf; I go shootin’.
Having a very mild winter, and work is slow. So I'm shooting way more than usual
No, due to lack of reloading supplies
shooting about the same as any year. freezers are full of local deer and am going to alabama in a few days for a week of deer hunting then to texas for a nilgai hunt at the end of feb. I only shoot to check zero, then at critters, so nothing has changed from previous years.
Until January 2, 2020 is was shooting at the range twice a week on average. On that date I was on my way to the range when I went to pass a slow moving truck. The idiot driving the turn made an unsignaled left turn right in front of me and goodbye my just paid for 2015 Ford 4x4 and five days in hospital. Truck totaled and me with a multiple fractured sternum plus some internal injury. The killer of that mess is I was due to leave for my annual elk hunt just four days later. I haven't been able to shoot since then mostly because the doctor doesn't feel I'm healed enough. Talking to others, I'm beginning to think he's stalling on letting me go shoot. Kind of frustrating as I have a pair of .257 Robt. I want to work loads to try.
Paul B.
Yep - 260 / 308 / 338 loads last weekend, pig and doe hunt this weekend.

Having a bunch of fun with a bunch of SR4759 and oddball / left over bullets. Wish I had some more 150 GR no cannelure Hornady 30 cal round noses. Have no idea what they were for but 24GR of 4759 in 308 stacks them into one hole at 100 and feels like a 30/30 load - didn’t chrono yet but guessing 2Kish FPS. Should be fun for hogs up close.
Not shooting much centerfire short of load development with recent 243 and 308 acquisitions. I have loads sorted for everything else I own and my days of playing with my AR's have ended though I have plenty of ammo and components. As with the AR's, short of 22 RF, my semi-auto handgun shooting has ended again with plenty of supplies. My revolvers, 32's, 44's and 45's, are seeing some range time.
More than usual, one of the few things to do during during Cuomo's year long lockdown. Saw this shortage coming and have everything I need.
Not much, just some casual handgun plinking mostly, and the occasional quiet .22 off the back porch. Not brought on by the current panicky climate (I have plenty of ammo and components) - I normally don't shoot much this time of year anyway, it's when I get ahead on my bullet casting for the upcoming shooting season. On top of that my surgeon only just now eased all restrictions relevant to my gut surgery- body rebuilding is now on the agenda much more so than range time is.

Going to shoot a couple rifles I haven't shot in awhile but will be keeping shooting to a minimum. Ok on supplies just can't get carried away.
Yes. I go out once a week with a couple of rifles and shoot steel. Deer hunting season is over, but fox are in til the end of Feb. Pretty well stocked on reloading supplies. I don't think this is going to be letting up anytime soon.
I'm still going to the range when the weather cooperates and plan to hunt 'cats and coyotes after our late antlerless whitetail season ends on 01/15/21.

The only factory ammo that I currently see on dealer shelves are low volume rifles cartridges, like the 25-35, and a limited amount of shotgun ammo. The ammo shortage seems worse now than any time that I can remember, even worse than after the Sandy Hook school shooting on 12/14/12.
November and December have never been big shooting months for me. January is often a time for load development when the weather is in the high 40's or above, but this year it hasn't cooperated yet, at least not when I wasn't busy with more important stuff.

I've been preparing for this shortage of ammo and components since the Obummer shortages and have a lot of ammo and components on hand, so I have plenty should I decide to go to the range. Never been much for punching paper but I have some development loads built that need to be tested and hope to get to the range one of these weekends.

In the meantime, I'm still buying components when the price is "normal". In the last couple weeks I've purchased several hundred target bullets' for my 6.5CM and others. I've also picked up a couple pounds each of H110 and Hybrid 100V and two days ago I picked up 6 pounds of CFEBLK, two of which went to a SIIL.

My 30-30 handloads using Speer 150g and 170g bullets and 170g Nosler Partitions had OK accuracy but I found the rifle really likes Hornady 160g FTX over Varget. As a result I'm going to pull most of the others and recycle the components. My AR 300BLK shoots them and, since this is primarily a SHTF close range weapon, I really don't care about accuracy to the level I do with my bolts and levers. Tested loads using the Speer bullets yesterday by shooting into a bucket of sand and they feed fine.

Other development loads I have ready to shoot are 308 Win with Peterson brass and 140g Nosler RDF for the 6.5CM. A SIL and I are planning a day to get his new AR pistol 300BLK to the range, at which time I'll take my ARs as well.
Yes. I've been getting to the range most weeks
Once a week minimum, sometimes twice. Not shooting as many rounds though. Mostly working up loads for the 6.5's, Creed and Grendel.
© 24hourcampfire