Home
Posted By: 16bore $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Dang Larry......

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001788064?pid=266581
Posted By: MGunns Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Ridiculous. So the price gouging is in full swing
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Lots of online vendors only have big magnums and safari cartridges left and the prices don't seem to be coming down due to lack of demand. Some are even worse than this. God bless whoever does the overruns at Nosler...
Posted By: GeoW Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by 16bore

Hell, ole smilin Larry got to eat!
Posted By: Seafire Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Saw a box or two of those rounds, up at Sportsmans Warehouse in Roseburg OR...

they were like $67.00 per box....

They had some plain Green Box old 180 gr Corelokts in 300 Win Mag.... those were in the $75.00 range for a box of 20....

The same that were available at Walmart for like $20, in Sept before deer and elk season....
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Sounds about right, given current conditions
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Good lord! and this is only the begining!....šŸ˜¬....Hb
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
$4.40 per trigger squeeze? No thank you.
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
I have my doubts that Midway is paying the same price for ammo today that they did a year ago. Unless itā€™s on sale, Midway has always been a couple of bucks higher then you could find it elsewhere, but itā€™s nice to get it in a few days instead of a few weeks.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
If you don't want to pay it, don't pay it.

If you need 338 WinMag, at least there's some available.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
I went up to my local shop to find PMC Bronze 9mm was at $60 per box of 50! I told my buddy who works there that his price was crazy. His response was "It's not a crazy price, as long as people are willing to pay it". With that, I said that you are ripping the lips off the same customers that support this shop in the "good times". Expect some of them to remember how badly they were gouged. Thank God that I reload, and that I learned a little something after Sandy Hook.
Posted By: 16bore Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
338 WM has actually been pretty easy to find. Saw piles of it at Gander and Sportmans. Didnā€™t think to take note of the prices though.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
F Larry!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Seroiusly? That's some bullschit. I saw some 45 ACP yesterday for $59. They can kiss my ass.
Posted By: Fotis Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Handloading never felt so good
Posted By: tzone Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
I have been buying some 30-06 when I see it. Which believe it or not, have been a fair amount. I bought 3 boxes of Winchester Power Point, 150gr, 30-06 for $19/box on Monday. Mostly picked them up for the brass, but we have a few around here that likes 150gr 30's.
Posted By: hanco Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Iā€™m thankful I load my own 338ā€™s. I never needed one, but I found a deal on an early Sako L-61 I couldnā€™t pass up so I bought it. Recoil isnā€™t any worse than a 7 mag when loaded with 160 Barnes TTSX.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by hanco
Iā€™m thankful I load my own 338ā€™s. I never needed one, but I found a deal on an early Sako L-61 I couldnā€™t pass up so I bought it. Recoil isnā€™t any worse than a 7 mag when loaded with 160 Barnes TTSX.

How fast are 160s in a 338 moving at the muzzle?

Re, Midway: I'm assuming they use an algorithm that factors in purchase cost, availability, and profit margin? Potterfield isn't scrolling through the site like Dr. Evil clicking up the prices of stuff...
Posted By: Seafire Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by Fotis

This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
I guess if folks are gonna pass on Midway ammo when it's a few cents more a box, then turnabout is fair play. Must admit though, it does seem excessive; although there's no telling how much Potterfield has in them.
Posted By: hanco Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
Originally Posted by hanco

How fast are 160s in a 338 moving at the muzzle?

Re, Midway: I'm assuming they use an algorithm that factors in purchase cost, availability, and profit margin? Potterfield isn't scrolling through the site like Dr. Evil clicking up the prices of stuff...

66 gr of H-4895 gets me 3000 FPS. Thatā€™s a grain off max.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
If you go to midwayusa and select rifle ammo and sort from highest to lowest cost, you are on page 12 before you get to the $87.99 Remington Core-Lokt 338 WM referenced by the OP.

Midway can charge whatever they want. At least it is available to those in need. As a handloader with plenty of ammo and components, no thanks.
Posted By: las Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
I did an inventory of my reloading supplies the other day. Had a couple 100 count pkgs of CCI LR primers from PayNSave, which went out of business here about 30 years ago. $2.67 . Betcha they still work, too. smile.
338WM is aboout the only common caliber available in Sportsmans here. I picked up a box Fed for $55 a week or so ago., probably will another if still available next month. T

Also scored a box (the only one of 30-06 at all) of Superperformance 150, which is what my rife is sighted in with anyway. Same price. That and the other 18 rounds of it that I have will keep me going for at least 4, probably 6, years if I even hunt with that rifle. Assuming I don't knock the sight-in off..

Last '06 box (another lonly) I saw at Sportsman was several weeks ago- Corelokt 180 at $65. I passed. I can load 150's for my needs 'til the cows come home. Or at least get within range. smile
Posted By: fburgtx Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
In another month or two, Larry isnā€™t going to have anything to sell.

For a few days or weeks after a ā€œpanicā€, you can call it gouging, if you want.

This has been going on for NINE MONTHS, with no foreseeable end for the next TWO YEARS.

He can either sell the limited stock heā€™s got, slowly, at HIGH prices, to people who really NEED it (and keep his employees working, in the process), or he can price it at $20 a box, be sold out by tomorrow, and it goes to a bunch of hoarders and re-sellers....
Posted By: hookeye Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/14/21
Hell I paid 37 a box for .280 rem 140 and 150 gr Corelokts before the panic. Thought that close to ridiculous ( compared to normal Rem and Win .3006 stuff )
Posted By: moosemike Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
If you don't want to pay it, don't pay it.

If you need 338 WinMag, at least there's some available.

That's how I feel about it. I just paid $40 for a box of Peters 300 Win mag and I was just happy to get it
Posted By: EdM Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/15/21
Originally Posted by fburgtx

For a few days or weeks after a ā€œpanicā€, you can call it gouging, if you want.

This has been going on for NINE MONTHS, with no foreseeable end for the next TWO YEARS.

He can either sell the limited stock heā€™s got, slowly, at HIGH prices, to people who really NEED it (and keep his employees working, in the process), or he can price it at $20 a box, be sold out by tomorrow, and it goes to a bunch of hoarders and re-sellers....

Spot on.
Posted By: moosemike Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/15/21
I'm just happy to see some price gouging. It keeps ammo in stock and when I really need something for a gun I just got I'll pay it
Posted By: TheKid Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/15/21
A buddy at work wanted to get his nephew a box of 30/06 for Christmas. When he couldnā€™t get any locally I told him I had a box or two of Federal blue box Iā€™d let him have if he wanted a box to give the kid. Nope, he said the kid wanted green box Remington stuff. So he drove 60 miles to the city, paid $13 to get in the gun show, and then paid $50 for a box of 150 CoreLokts. Oh well
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Sure glad I donā€™t need any Rigby ammo from Larry. High price is $212.00/box of 20.
Posted By: pacecars Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
I did just buy some Nosler Trophy 9.3x62mm 250 gr Accubond overrun ammo for $39 per box from Shooters Pro Shop. IPS says Thursday delivery. For once it pays to have an ā€œoffā€!caliber
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Wonder what Larry paid Remington for them..........................................??
Posted By: skeen Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Spot on.

Yeah, that's a fair point.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by pacecars
I did just buy some Nosler Trophy 9.3x62mm 250 gr Accubond overrun ammo for $39 per box from Shooters Pro Shop. IPS says Thursday delivery. For once it pays to have an ā€œoffā€!caliber

I've gone a little wild over the last couple weeks for $39.99... very hard to beat that price, panic or not.
Posted By: DBoston Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
I think this will be good long term with more people re-loading then eventually there will be components. Been a long time since I did this but a little wack a mole Lee loader can produce some good ammo cheaply.

Hopefully both the hoarders and the pandemic will slow down in a few months, then a couple more until production is closer to normal.
Posted By: las Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Picked up 2 boxes of 260 yesterday. The 129s were $33, the 140s $40. Different brands one i never heard of.

If the 129s shoot well, that's a decent price. Probably be out before I get to test them tho.. I'm good to go for severalyears now, between the various gons, if we don't do range much.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by hookeye
Hell I paid 37 a box for .280 rem 140 and 150 gr Corelokts before the panic. Thought that close to ridiculous ( compared to normal Rem and Win .3006 stuff )

Hookeye don't know about where you live, but here where I live 280 rem has allways been 10-15 dollars a box more than 30-06 /270 that is just 1 reason to reload.. mb

I've gone a little wild over the last couple weeks for $39.99... very hard to beat that price, panic or not.

Might have to order some more
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21

Might have to order some more

I'm not set up to reload 9.3 yet and given the threat to online ammo sales, it seemed like a no brainer. Also been finding PPU 285s very cheap with a little searching.
I am kind of hard pressed to reload yet since besides the $39.99 ammo I had a bunch of the PPU 285 gr ammo already and when I bought the rifle it came with more of the PPU plus some Nosler Trophy Grade 250 Accubonds so I am I. Pretty good shape
Posted By: boatboy Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by Seafire

But don't try to start now
Just try to buy a press and dies
Holy crap the price and availability is shocking
Hank
Posted By: boatboy Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
I dont like the price of ammo right now
Or the availibity but I don't have to buy any now

But those who have strong views I bet the will not sell thier apple stock for what they paid for it 10years ago
But it ain't my fight
I wish 9mm was 3.95 a box but it ain't so the 650Dillion is ready

Hank
Posted By: Jason280 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Originally Posted by MGunns

What a simple minded comment. How can you "price gouge" on a non essential item?

Some people apparently don't have a good understanding of supply and demand. Whether you like it or not, in times of unprecedented demand, the only way to ensure a product remains in stock is to raise prices....and even that is no guarantee. No one is being forced to buy it, and what Midway paid for it originally is completely irrelevant. They know that future availability is an absolute crap shoot, and if they want to be able to keep some in stock for customer's who absolutely need it (whatever the cost), this is the only way.

Whether folks accept it or not, ammo/reloading components are just as much a commodity as gold or fuel prices...and in a free market economy, the market will bear the price.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21
Don't forget the inflation caused by "free" money that has been handed out...
Posted By: SuperCub Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/16/21

This be true. Supply & Demand.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
Thereā€™s a pawn shop here in town I go to quite frequently. Talk to the owner a lot. The extra unemployment bennies and the stimulus money is providing his ā€œregularsā€ with so much money, that they donā€™t need to pawn anything. His inventory is low, and heā€™s way down on loans.

Some of the folks are doing better NOW, than when they were working....
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by Jason280
Originally Posted by MGunns

What a simple minded comment. How can you "price gouge" on a non essential item?

Some people apparently don't have a good understanding of supply and demand. Whether you like it or not, in times of unprecedented demand, the only way to ensure a product remains in stock is to raise prices....and even that is no guarantee. No one is being forced to buy it, and what Midway paid for it originally is completely irrelevant. They know that future availability is an absolute crap shoot, and if they want to be able to keep some in stock for customer's who absolutely need it (whatever the cost), this is the only way.

Whether folks accept it or not, ammo/reloading components are just as much a commodity as gold or fuel prices...and in a free market economy, the market will bear the price.

We have a perfect understanding of supply and demand. We also have a perfect understanding of price gouging under extraordinary circumstances. Whether we want to call firearms "essential" or not. Some if not all states even have statutes addressing the behavior.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21

I wonder how much this has to do with Remington exiting the scene, and original Remington ammo practically becoming a collectors item--along with everything else labeled "Remington".

The word is there may be some significant increases in smokeless powder. Probably doesn't help that Hodgdon's has such a big share of the market now......
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I wonder how much this has to do with Remington exiting the scene, and original Remington ammo practically becoming a collectors item--along with everything else labeled "Remington".

The word is there may be some significant increases in smokeless powder. Probably doesn't help that Hodgdon's has such a big share of the market now......

I was of the understanding that Vista just kept operations at Remington ammo rolling per usual?
Posted By: Jason280 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
We have a perfect understanding of supply and demand.

No, you do not. I am curious, though, who is this "we"?

We also have a perfect understanding of price gouging under extraordinary circumstances.

Once again, clearly you do not. Regardless, where is the "price gouging"? As far as "statutes" being in place to *ahem* address the behavior, please link a couple that deal specifically with ammo prices you don't agree with.

Actually, I'll make this even simpler for you. What should be the going rate for .338 Mag ammo right now, or any other ammo for that matter? Who should determine that price? The more I have to ask, the more obvious it becomes you truly have no idea how a free market works. Remember, just because you don't like the price doesn't mean you should be able to change it.

Besides, which is better for a guy who decides he has to have a box of .338 right now....a box for $35 that's completely out of stock, or a box for $80 that's actually available to order?

People keep calling this extraordinary circumstances, but when in fact, its absolutely not. In fact, it was completely predictable. Anyone who was caught unprepared this time is at best naĆÆve, and at worst a short sighted fool. We saw the same exact thing after Obama in '08, the school shootings, and even the Las Vegas shooting a couple years. Same thing with all the BLM rioting the last year or so, Despite this, this country has gone through salad days of rock bottom pricing on ammo, guns, etc, yet these people seem completely caught off guard. Same with Biden. Most of us realized that there was a better than even chance he would be elected, and prices would be affected. Yet, here people are scrambling to stock up...and complaining about the "unfair prices" and people "gouging" them on a commodity.
Posted By: Rob96 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by GeoW

Hell, ole smilin Larry got to eat!

Hell his wife needs more shoes.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by boatboy
Originally Posted by Seafire

But don't try to start now
Just try to buy a press and dies
Holy crap the price and availability is shocking
Hank

I decided that I should have what I need to reload 9mm. Had to settle for dies from three or four makers to make up a set. Ran into some Sierra 115gr HPs from Larry and snagged 500. Primers I have. Brass is in progress, just have to empty some out. The prices I paid for all that were pretty normal, but you really have to keep after it to find stuff.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Brass is in progress, just have to empty some out.

It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. smile
Posted By: harkm Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
Originally Posted by Jason280
[quote=MGunns]Ridiculous. So the price gouging is in full swing[/quote

Excellent post. Prices have to go up or there will be no supply available.
Posted By: sackett Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
And Opticsplant is $89.99 for that same box. And who else beside Midway has it in stock?
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/17/21
At 7:55 this morning I ordered a few hundred 180gr interlocks for $35 per.(all things considered I consider that a fair price)

At 1:22 got an email they had shipped.

Not every company is on the ball to that extent.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/18/21
Per Larry, that's the way it is..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/18/21
The Cabela's here had some ammo yesterday, but it didn't last long. Corelokts were usual price. When my buddy and I got there, we snagged a couple pounds of powder each as well for $29.99/pound. I almost grabbed some ammo for my buddy that doesn't handload. It was federal blue box 243 win, for $21.99/box. As far as I'm concerned, Larry can suck my di ck..
Posted By: StrayHorse Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/19/21
Goodbye Larry and Midway. I won't even look there again.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/20/21
I visited the Tucson Sportsman's Warehouse today and they had a dozen boxes of this exact same load (Rem 338 WM 250 PSPCL) on the shelves at $69.99
Posted By: Slavek Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/21/21

crazyThat is more than I used to pay for .300H&H with premium bullets.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/22/21

And, all of my co-workers & friends are coming to me because they know I have a voluminous stash.

Just keep saying NO!
Posted By: 16bore Re: $87.99 for Corlokts? - 01/22/21
Heā€™s up to $95.99 now. $69.99 at Sportmans Warehouse a few minutes ago....
© 24hourcampfire