Home
A friend put my boy to work 18 months ago as an appliance repairman helper. He taught him that business, now has moved him up two pay grades, gave him a ten buck an hour pay raise. My kid is smart, ( gets that from the wifey), running his own truck, has his own area he takes care of, the other techs rave about how well he is doing. He got his refrigeration license, he has worked hard and is a former Navy corpsman.

I want to buy my friend a little something. I’m gonna buy a Vanguard, but what caliber? He has a 308, 270, and a 243. He is 64, wouldn’t want a fire breathing magnum. I was thinking a 25.06 or a Creedmoor. I want it to be a surprise or I would ask him.

What would you all suggest as far as caliber???
What can you (or he) find ammo for?
If ammo is not available for a new chambering, I'd maybe lean towards a nice glass upgrade like a scope or binoculars.
Originally Posted by JPro

^ yep in today’s market it’s all about that.
I see 6mm Creedmoor in the local shops around here
With 308 Win, 270 Win and 243 Win in tow and 308 Win covers big game up top, 270 Win same and 243 Win for light work, I’d get him a nice plinker, could be a 223 Rem, but was thinking more 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 17 HMR, 22 WMR or 22LR.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
With 308 Win, 270 Win and 243 Win in tow and 308 Win covers big game up top, 270 Win same and 243 Win for light work, I’d get him a nice pinker, could be a 223 Rem, but was thinking more 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 17 HMR, 22 WMR or 22LR.

He has an AR, so he has the plinking covered.

I have 5 boxes of Creed ammo I could include. I have Talley bases and a Leupold 4.5 x14 scope on the way. If I didn’t put good mounts and a decent scope on it, he’d buy some cheap crap to put on it.

I can load 25-06’s or Creedmoor also if need be.
I think you've got your answer. The 6.5 Creedmoor based on how you will already have him "good to go out the door" with the ammo on hand. Add to that, when ammo does come back in stock, that will be one that will be most available. He doesn't really appear to have any holes in the spectrum of "needs"; so, your idea of that 6.5 is a good one.
Originally Posted by efw

^ yep in today’s market it’s all about that.

That was my first thought. I've also seen more 6mm CM in stock online than most others.
He already has better cartridges than a 6.5 Creedmoor. Does he have free hog hunting access? He has rifles. They need too go hunting.
It seems that he has everything from 6mm (.243) to .308 covered. So, I would think, if your looking to cover different ground, and given VG caliber limitations, it could be something either like the 22-250 Rem. or you a 300 WM, but not the latter if you consider that a fire-breather.
One of the 308 Win Mauser M12's for $500.
If ammo is not available for a new chambering, I'd maybe lean towards a nice glass upgrade like a scope or binoculars.

+1
Assuming ammo supplies return to "normal" in the not too distant future, I'd be thinking of the 6.5 Creed. Prior to the rush on ammo, it was readily available in a variety or loadings at very reasonable prices, cheaper even that .270 and .30-06.

I have a Vanguard in 6.5 Creed and love it, like that it has a 2" longer barrel than the Howa as well. But do also have a Howa in 6mm Creed, one of those Brownells specials I got for $200.
I wouldnt trouble him with a new caliber that he has to have ammo and deal with.
He has the big game centerfire needs covered with the guns he has.

How about a really accurate .223? That is about as much fun for informal shooting as you can get, beyond a .22lr. Actually, now that I say that, if he does not have a deadnuts accurate .22lr, I would get him the Tikka 1x. Shooting clay pigeons at 200 yds with a .22lr is a hoot.
Maybe a rifle that's not a bolt action. If caliber and use of those calibers is already covered, perhaps the type of rifle is more in parallel to what you want to do. Lever action, auto or Single Shot. If for example the 308 covers all the needs for him and he has a few 308s it may be more appreciated to buy a 308 in a lever action or a single shot. Think "gun" not "cartridge".
In fact you may also consider handguns and shotguns.
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
He already has better cartridges than a 6.5 Creedmoor. Does he have free hog hunting access? He has rifles. They need too go hunting.

Plenty of hogs, he hunts on same lease I do.
Originally Posted by szihn
Maybe a rifle that's not a bolt action. If caliber and use of those calibers is already covered, perhaps the type of rifle is more in parallel to what you want to do. Lever action, auto or Single Shot. If for example the 308 covers all the needs for him and he has a few 308s it may be more appreciated to buy a 308 in a lever action or a single shot. Think "gun" not "cartridge".

He has a bunch of handguns, although that is a good idea.
Or nice blade...no issues feeding one of those.
You can never go wrong with a gift certificate from his fave LGS.

Let him decide what he wants.
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Or nice blade...no issues feeding one of those.

I was thinking the same thing.
Take him on a guided fishing trip.

The cartridges you list have a ton of overlap and you only have room to go up in recoil. Not worth it at 64.

So, a fishing trip.

P
I was thinking rifle, cause he has a son and a daughter, plus son in law that come up to our lease to hunt. They have no rifles of their own, so he loans his out, borrows one of mine.
He’s just not that tore up about rifles then. If he was he would have the kids set up and several of his own. He obviously has money going by the first post. So rifles are just tools to him. I say all that to say the 6.5 creedmoor with your 5 boxes of ammo is absolutely perfect. Especially since ammo is what it is right now.
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by szihn

He has a bunch of handguns, although that is a good idea.

What are his handguns chambered in. Maybe a lever action in the same chambering? A .357 or .44 lever action would be something I probably wouldn't buy but would love to get as a gift.
I was thinking rifle, cause he has a son and a daughter, plus son in law that come up to our lease to hunt. They have no rifles of their own, so he loans his out, borrows one of mine.

Maybe get him something in a cartridge he already has rifles for. No sense in making the supply chain more complex.

Okie John

You're on the right track. buy the 6.5 Creedmoor for him and watch it become a favorite.
He has the 30 and under stuff covered pretty well. How about a .338 federal?
A friend put my boy to work 18 months ago as an appliance repairman helper. He taught him that business, now has moved him up two pay grades, gave him a ten buck an hour pay raise. My kid is smart, ( gets that from the wifey), running his own truck, has his own area he takes care of, the other techs rave about how well he is doing. He got his refrigeration license, he has worked hard and is a former Navy corpsman.

I want to buy my friend a little something. I’m gonna buy a Vanguard, but what caliber? He has a 308, 270, and a 243. He is 64, wouldn’t want a fire breathing magnum. I was thinking a 25.06 or a Creedmoor. I want it to be a surprise or I would ask him.

Look at something Henry has for sale. That little lever action 410 is something most guys would like , but wouldn't buy for themselves. They would be fun to squirrel hunt with. They even have a short model for a home defense/truck gun. Any of their lever guns are nice rifles.
.260 Remington...you can buy ammo
How about a nice little 357 Mag rifle like a Winchester M92 or M94? Could use it as a walk about gun or it's a great home gun. Can shot 38 Spl in it also.
Marlins, Henry's and Mossbergs would be good also.
Not much recoil so when he gets older he can still shoot it.
Or this https://stdgun.com/mauser-m12-black-impact-308-winchester-rifle-20-barrel/ and just let him think you dropped full price 😇😁
6.5 cm.
I bought a friend of mine a .17 hornet when I got an awesome deal on a pair of them. Not something I would have thought would have been as fun of a gun to shoot as it is. Sends a pellet sized bullet at 3650fps

6.5 Creedmoor.
I'd go with a Weatherguard in 6.5 CM.
6.5 CM
Browning BLR in 358 Win.

Why?

Just seems cool.
6.5x55
Originally Posted by High_Noon
6.5x55

Bingo!
I gave this one to my friend because he wanted a rifle like the one I had when I was a kid...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I gave this one to my friend because he wanted a rifle like the one I had when I was a kid...

VERY PRETTY.... Sako????
Tikka T3 Stainless in 308.

They could buy all the "pretty rifles" they want.. they would get a functioning, stupid simple and robust rifle from me.
Originally Posted by Northman

They could buy all the "pretty rifles" they want.. they would get a functioning, stupid simple and robust rifle from me.

That’s an idea, I have one in 22-250. They are fine rifles.

Creedmoor all the way. New cartridge, effective, low recoil, good for long shots!

Not going to be any different that what he has, but would let him have "his own" rifle when he loans others out!

Buy him the same rifle you loan him.
Originally Posted by 308ld

Buy him the same rifle you loan him.

That’s an idea, but Sako Bofors barrel 264’s are hard to find.

I'd get him a nice 22LR or a 7mm08 due to the loan outs.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

VERY PRETTY.... Sako????

Nah, its an old P14. Cool old rifle. My buddy loves it..
Originally Posted by Northman

Thats a great rifle. I recently bought that exact rifle used with scope for $549.99. I figure I'll use it as a "loaner". Great little rifles.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Take him on a guided fishing trip.

The cartridges you list have a ton of overlap and you only have room to go up in recoil. Not worth it at 64.

So, a fishing trip.

P

I don’t think he fishes at all, never heard him say a word about it.
Not many at all vote for a 25-06. I’m surprised

Whats a 25-06?

Whats a 25-06?

A 25 Niedner

Thats a great rifle. I recently bought that exact rifle used with scope for $549.99. I figure I'll use it as a "loaner". Great little rifles.

If the Tikka is a loaner, what is your go to rifle?
Originally Posted by GeoW

If the Tikka is a loaner, what is your go to rifle?

grin. Lets don't go there. Some guys here don't like pictures of nice rifles..

Out of the box idea, cz 527 carbine in 7.62x39. Will kill the [bleep] out of hogs and deer at ranges 99% of the population shoots. Also cheap plinking ammo.
Another vote for the 6.5 CM.
I'd go to a 22r of some sorts. Maybe find a nice pre-lock 39a, who doesn't like those?

Throwing in a new chambering that covers a spectrum he's already got covered seems like something he wouldn't use near as much as a sweet 22lr.
A nice 22lr. He's got deer hunting covered.
I think a 25-06 would be an awesome gift to receive. Its common enough that it isn't hard to find ammo, but it's also unique these days. 6.5 CM would probably be more practical - he's probably thinking of buying one anyways if he's a gun guy.
If he doesn't have a 22 rifle that would be the way to go IMO, it is hard to beat a good 22 for having fun and shooting a lot. I handled a new CZ 457 the other day, it is a very nice rifle for $469.

drover
The Creed would be a good additon. I had about the same mix in the lighter chamberings, but a .30-06 instead of the .270. I added a 6.5 Creedmoor.
I have a friend is new to deer hunting without his own rifle, his wife asked me to select a rifle for her to buy him plus scope for his upcoming birthday.

He is getting a T/C Venture II in 6.5 creedmoor and a Leopold.
Originally Posted by pacecars
I see 6mm Creedmoor in the local shops around here

That is all I see here all the time.
Just noticed this Thread!
So... What rifle would I buy a friend? Obvious!!! One 'she' couldn't hurt me with! smile smile smile
Anonymous... & Stay Safe!
© 24hourcampfire