Home
I have a Howa that I like a lot - it has served me well for whitetail hunting but I'm still fairly new to hunting and don't have a ton of experience with it. I'm hoping for the chance to do some Wyoming elk hunting in 2021 and am curious what you guys think about using a Howa for backcountry hunting. I don't have a scale but I believe it weights about 7.5 lbs on its own and over 9 lbs with my scope on it. Seems like the only way to lighten up a Howa is to replace the stock with a McMillan Edge, which I'm not sure I want to do.

When I see people investing in super lightweight rifles like Barrett Fieldcrafts and Kimber Montanas, I start to wonder if I'm in for a world of hurt if I try to haul my Howa around in the mountains. I dunno - I guess I could go for a hike just carrying the thing and see how I feel about it.
Out of curiosity, what's it chambered in?
Originally Posted by mcclure
I have a Howa that I like a lot - it has served me well for whitetail hunting but I'm still fairly new to hunting and don't have a ton of experience with it. I'm hoping for the chance to do some Wyoming elk hunting in 2021 and am curious what you guys think about using a Howa for backcountry hunting. I don't have a scale but I believe it weights about 7.5 lbs on its own and over 9 lbs with my scope on it. Seems like the only way to lighten up a Howa is to replace the stock with a McMillan Edge, which I'm not sure I want to do.

When I see people investing in super lightweight rifles like Barrett Fieldcrafts and Kimber Montanas, I start to wonder if I'm in for a world of hurt if I try to haul my Howa around in the mountains. I dunno - I guess I could go for a hike just carrying the thing and see how I feel about it.

I’d try it and see. I’d also ask myself how much mountain hunting I would really be doing. Years ago I set up or tried to set up almost all my rifles because I had plans of mountain hunting every year. I did it a few years and life hobbies and interest changed.
When I hear about guys thinking a rifle is to heavy I look back to WWII and guys carrying M1's for weeks at a time over every conceivable terrain. I think you'll be fine with the Howa,
I completely understand taking advantage of modern technology. I sure like some of the things I use today even though the things I used 20 years ago worked. I just meant maybe try the Howa before deciding it’s too heavy.
The extra 3/4 to 1 lb "extra" weight ( compared to oft-discussed ultra feather light "mountain rifles"), just may come in handy when making the shot. Weight will settle the rifle on top of a back pack rest.

If you have a wood stock, consider getting the Weatherby S2 stock. It is a nice stock, lighter than wood, an maybe $80??? Change that and maybe light scope and you could sha e off 4-6 ounces.

Run your own evaluation an hunt with it. It will work. Get A good sling. If you are not taking A backpack, consider a two-shoulder sling, like a biathlon rifle. Distributes weight to both shoulders, and secures the rifle well.

Worried about carrying 2 extra pounds? Lose 5-10 lbs of body weight, and you are ahead of the game. :-). But not really kidding.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

It's a 270.

Originally Posted by buttstock
The extra 3/4 to 1 lb "extra" weight ( compared to oft-discussed ultra feather light "mountain rifles"), just may come in handy when making the shot. Weight will settle the rifle on top of a back pack rest.

That is a good point and one that I haven't thought much about.
Either hunt it as-is -or- take the money you would invest in lightening it up (stock) and buy a Tikka lite or Superlite.

A Tikka with a 3-9 Burris FFII is the easy button for mountain rifle IMO. FWIW, this is coming from a M70 nut.
Originally Posted by Kaleb

I’d try it and see. I’d also ask myself how much mountain hunting I would really be doing. Years ago I set up or tried to set up almost all my rifles because I had plans of mountain hunting every year. I did it a few years and life hobbies and interest changed.

That’s good advice. One hunt is tolerable mostly. It when you wanna do it in multiples yearly that weight really becomes a thing.

It's a 270.

If you decide to explore a McMillan EDGE, touch base with PaulBarnard. He has this one I originally had on a 270.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t-to-do-with-mcmillan-stock#Post15585798
Originally Posted by TomM1
Either hunt it as-is -or- take the money you would invest in lightening it up (stock) and buy a Tikka lite or Superlite.

A Tikka with a 3-9 Burris FFII is the easy button for mountain rifle IMO. FWIW, this is coming from a M70 nut.

The Tikkas for sure are cool rifles, and I've read plenty of posts on the internet telling me that I'm a fool for not owning one in 6.5 Creedmoor! The internet forums also convinced me that I needed my 20 ounce scope, but maybe I could start looking at some lighter options like the Burris.

If you decide to explore a McMillan EDGE, touch base with PaulBarnard. He has this one I originally had on a 270.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t-to-do-with-mcmillan-stock#Post15585798

Thanks! I like the idea of upgrading the stock and that one looks good.
Since you may carry your rifle in your hands, cradled in your arms, or maybe slung or in a backpack carrier, the notion that losing weight yourself is the solution for heavy-rifle syndrome is only true some of the time. You might lose a half-pound or so with a new stock, but a rifle built from the ground up as a lightweight is a better option, IMO. Doesn’t have to cost a fortune, maybe not even as much as a fancy light stock. Look at Mauser M18s and LW Tikkas for starters.
The S2 Griptonite SA stock I have weighs 37.2oz.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since you may carry your rifle in your hands, cradled in your arms, or maybe slung or in a backpack carrier, the notion that losing weight yourself is the solution for heavy-rifle syndrome is only true some of the time. You might lose a half-pound or so with a new stock, but a rifle built from the ground up as a lightweight is a better option, IMO. Doesn’t have to cost a fortune, maybe not even as much as a fancy light stock. Look at Mauser M18s and LW Tikkas for starters.

Thanks for the advice. When I hunted deer in the Black Hills this fall, I didn't use a sling at all. I just carried the rifle in my hands. It wasn't bad, but it was also much easier terrain than the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming.

I would be very hesitant to throw a lot of money after making this rifle lighter weight. I do like the rifle, though, and the idea of putting it in a nicer stock (nicer than the Hogue that it's in) that also makes it lighter sounds tempting. It was my first non-rimfire rifle so I think I'd like to keep it around.

The Mauser looks good - I handled a Sauer 100 at Cabela's and it seemed impressive, so I'm assuming the Mauser is as well. The Tikka Superlites at Sportsman's Warehouse seem like an obvious no-fuss choice if I decide to go that route.
I stuck a McMillan edge on my s2. It saved me between 10-11 ounces. With a Leica 2.5-10x42, Talley LWs and 4 rounds (300 Win) it weighs 8# 2oz iirc.
Just get a better sling- that should be the most bang-for-your buck. I personally like the Browning Big Game Neoprene. Very comfortable. Next up would be a lighter set of rings and glass.
BTDT, I would've kept this one but decided the 06 was better for me.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

If the rifle feels good in your hands now, take it to the mountains. Sure, get in as good of a shape as you can, but don't worry about whether your rifle works in the mountains. If you're confident in your firearm now, it'll work great in the mountains. After a mountain hunt or 2, you'll have enough experience to decide whether you need a new shootin' iron.

Now, if it was a 13# benchrest deal, maybe I'd counsel ya to reconsider. But outside of that, good physical conditioning, coupled with a relentlessly positive attitude and a good guide (or at least good research) will mean far more to your success than what rifle you're wielding.

FC
Thanks for all the replies. I do not think I'm going to rush into buying another rifle. Besides, it would involve buying a new scope, etc. I will make do with what I have, which is a very nice rifle in any case (in my opinion), although it is an unfashionable rifle in an even less fashionable caliber.
Until recently, you could have purchased a CLR in excellent condition for less than the cost of a new McM stock.

I know that a lot of people find fault with the CLR stock and opt to upgrade to a lighter/stiffer NULA stock, but the factory package is still lighter than most comparable factory specs rifles. My CLR in 270 weighs noticeably less than my V2 in 6.5 CM with a McM stock.
You are not settling in anyway with a 270. There's no reason to look down on it. With its performance history on game, it has nothing to prove to a rifle chambered in a "fashionable" cartridge.

Don't let fashion fads impact your view on proven performance.
You’re really worried about rifle weight while hunting elk? The Howa 1500 std .473 bolt LA barreled action weighs 5 lbs. Find a 28 oz stock and 10 oz scope and you have a nicely balanced alpine rifle weighing around 7.25 lbs.

If you’re not packing out with a horse/mule you’ll have to tote around 120 lbs per quarter times 4 quarters at possibly very high altitude. Still worried about that 7.25 lbs rifle.

Even if you have horse/mule pack out you’ll expend considerable energy and endurance just carving and packing the animal. My point is you need to be in very good condition to enjoy an elk hunt, your rifle weight in my opinion and my experience at hunting and packing out elk at 10,000 ft would be the least of worries on the hunt. Only one man’s opinion.

Hunted for decades with standard sporting rifles. I use Tikka's a lot now. I carry them more than I shoot them and the Tikka's are accurate. That being said, a standard sporting weight rifle isnt that bad and surely isnt going to impact your normal hunt much at all. Get a good sling and good boots to hike in and have at it.
One is going to haul an elk out of the mountains, and he's worried about packing 1 to 2 lbs of extra weight up the hill? My premier concern with whatever unit I select is accuracy, and I'm thinking of taking a 15 lb Sharps for the next go.
Originally Posted by 1minute
One is going to haul an elk out of the mountains, and he's worried about packing 1 to 2 lbs of extra weight up the hill? My premier concern with whatever unit I select is accuracy, and I'm thinking of taking a 15 lb Sharps for the next go.

Originally Posted by Rossimp
You’re really worried about rifle weight while hunting elk? The Howa 1500 std .473 bolt LA barreled action weighs 5 lbs. Find a 28 oz stock and 10 oz scope and you have a nicely balanced alpine rifle weighing around 7.25 lbs.

If you’re not packing out with a horse/mule you’ll have to tote around 120 lbs per quarter times 4 quarters at possibly very high altitude. Still worried about that 7.25 lbs rifle.

Even if you have horse/mule pack out you’ll expend considerable energy and endurance just carving and packing the animal. My point is you need to be in very good condition to enjoy an elk hunt, your rifle weight in my opinion and my experience at hunting and packing out elk at 10,000 ft would be the least of worries on the hunt. Only one man’s opinion.

I think a person can be concerned about more than one thing at once. Asking about rifle weight doesn’t mean I’m not interested in accuracy, my own physical conditioning, or the tons of other things that factor into an elk hunt.
mcclure,
I have a Vanguard, chambered in .270 WSM, that I have restocked with a McMillan Edge. Scope is a Leupold VX3, 3.5-10x, in Talley LW mounts. All up, it weighs 7 lb. 15 oz., and is a very easy carry in mountainous country. Consider the Edge stock if you really want to do something that will reduce weight.
Here's me with my 11-lb MkV .340.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For me, that Safari Sling seems to feel like it takes some of the weight off the rifle, and it's always ready to shoot. And having it up front seems to offset some of the weight of a backpack.

MarineHawk, thanks for the safari sling suggestion. I have been considering those thinking it might do exactly what you’re describing. I’ll have to give it a try.
MarineHawk, thanks for the safari sling suggestion. I have been considering those thinking it might do exactly what you’re describing. I’ll have to give it a try.

They go on all my rifles, except for my semis that have a similar setup. So much easier to carry a rifle that way than with a regular sling.

https://www.amazon.com/Boonie-Packer-Products-Safari-Sling/dp/B07CQKQQ83

MarineHawk: Like that setup with the chair. Started doing the same when I finally got some foraging patterns figured out in a favorite Wy location. Have a low boy chair I use in the squirrel fields and pack it a couple days before the elk opener. Taken 4 bulls and 1 cow from that chair.
9 lbs isn't a deal breaker, hunt it.
© 24hourcampfire