Home
Posted By: PaulBarnard Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/23/21
With an online sale would it be reasonable or unreasonable to expect a rifle dealer to open the box and look at the gun before it is shipped? On a gun with a walnut stock, would it be reasonable or unreasonable to ask for a pic? Would the response to that be dependent upon the cost of the rifle?
Posted By: goalie Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/23/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
With an online sale would it be reasonable or unreasonable to expect a rifle dealer to open the box and look at the gun before it is shipped? On a gun with a walnut stock, would it be reasonable or unreasonable to ask for a pic? Would the response to that be dependent upon the cost of the rifle?

Depends, but that's why a lotta people will pay a little more at the local gun store.

For high end, I'd want pics, but for budget, trying to save a few bucks buying online, well, they're saving you a few bucks through volume, not by opening boxes and sending pictures to people kicking tires.....
Most online vendors couldn't open the box even if they wanted to... they just send the order to a fulfillment warehouse.
When Browning discontinued the Low Wall .260, a dealer in Houston had bought Browning’s remaining inventory. When I called to have them send me one, they said for $20 they would go through every box and pick the one with the best wood for me. Best $20 I ever spent...

John
so, let's see what the $20 bought.
Bought a O/U .410 off of GB right around Thanksgiving. Found 2 that had no CC fee/immediate check out/free shipping.

One had a stock photo, the other of the actual gun and it was 20 bucks more. The one with the actual photo had nice but not great wood. Emailed the guy with the stock photo, asking if he would take a pic of the buttstock and email it to me. I never heard back from him, bought the one with the actual pictures.
I feel you should be allowed to see the wood.

Picking from several is a bit tricky.

A great old local dealer used to go clean off on guys
who ask to pick from several in the boxes.

He had fair prices, and felt it unfair for the guy who got
the rifle passed over buy several others.
Charging extra only benefited him, unless he sold the last one
at a loss. And considering he tried to never have a "last one",
He was going to end up with a pile of rejects.

Another used to let a mutual friend go through the Weatherbys and
pick the best stock, and the best grouping action.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/24/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I feel you should be allowed to see the wood.

thats what she said
I was thinking about Henry Single shots when I mentioned the wood. Some of those have ridiculously attractive lumber, but so many of their GB photos are stock.
I was thinking about Henry Single shots when I mentioned the wood. Some of those have ridiculously attractive lumber, but so many of their GB photos are stock.

The better Henry's do get some attractive wood though
Posted By: goalie Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/24/21

Mmmmmm

I have no need for a .357 SS rifle, but you're right, some are really, really pretty.

Maybe I do need one.....
That’s a business decision for them and a buyer’s decision for you.

Might be a bit much to ask from a busy dealer for a $400 gun. Not much margin in those. FWIW I’ve yet to see one with unsatisfactory wood. Some are really nice, and a dealer might want to display that to encourage bidders, and charge a bit more too.

When I bought my CZ 457 MTR, the sale was cinched by the dealer’s numerous and excellent detailed pics. Knew exactly what I was getting.
I ordered a M70 Super Grade stock from CDNN several years ago. When it showed up it was the plainest stock I've ever seen. My WesternField 22LR has more figure. Sent it back with a note that said I would take a replacement if they had one with better wood, if not just credit my account. Got the credit. If they want to sell you a firearm, they ought to be able to take a pic of it, even if they want $20 for the pic.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

yeah, baby....
I would have paid it....
I was thinking about Henry ... when I mentioned the wood.

Oh, no! This thread is going south.
Good Boogamooga!
I'm not sure the full quote is much better.

I was thinking about Henry Single shots when I mentioned the wood.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/28/21
Friend of mine has a Ruger #1 in 22-250 that has a very beautiful set of stocks on it. Accuracy is disappointing, but he refuses to get rid of it because he likes the stocks so much
Posted By: Redneck Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/28/21
If it's literally from a dealer and it's offered as NIB, I'd let it go.. If used, dealer or no dealer, I'd ask for - and expect to get - a batch of decent pics..

When I sell anything on Gunbroker I always post at least a dozen, if not two dozen, pics of the item..
Posted By: hanco Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/28/21
I’d would have paid also.
Entirely reasonable to ask for a pic of a walnut-stocked gun. If the grain is bad at the grip, you'd want to know that before buying.
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I was thinking about Henry ... when I mentioned the wood.

Oh, no! This thread is going south.

It seems like some people have moved their needles north in response to some of the comments.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/28/21
I see nothing wrong with such a request. Given the handling and subsequent damage by some shippers, I'd at least like to know a unit started out in good shape.

I'd only expect a pic for high end or custom work.
I asked for a pic of a Brand new Kimber Montana from the dealer, just because, and they gladly obliged.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 01/29/21
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by huntsman22

That is simply the ugliest looking stock I’ve ever seen - I, however, would be more that willing to take it off your hands to restock!!......I’d say that was a very well spent $20 that’s a beauty!!

PennDog
I will say, that at the LGS I help at, we are so busy we do not even answer the phone if caller ID shows a local number.

(Do you have any 9mm ammo???)

No way we are going to take pics of individual rifles and send to tire kickers.

Sorry, but that is our current reality.

I hope it changes soon, as we pride ourselves in our attention to customers, but currently, the situation we face precludes such service.

Don’t hate me.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Reasonable Or Unreasonable - 02/05/21
I bought a #1 35 Whelan from a dealer who said he had six of them. I asked what had the best wood. He sent pics of the three best and I picked out what I thought was the best. I paid a little more for what he called A+ but was satisfied with the purchase.
© 24hourcampfire