Home
Definitely something wrong with them - were they dropped on their head as a child ?

What's next a 6.5 BMG ?
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Definitely something wrong with them - were they dropped on their as a child ?

What's next a 6.5 BMG ?

You have some kind of point?
Dave
My guess would be they probably burn the throat out on a barrel rather rapidly.Small bore,large case with a bunch of slow burning powder will do it.Another cartridge,the 6.5/300 Weatherby Magnum,I wonder if you can get a 1000 rounds through it.
I thought the Nosler 26 was a bit slow. So, I bought a 6.5-300 Wby instead. grin
Must not be a whole lot of them, 'cause there's a fair amount of 26, 28, and 30 Nosler ammo on the local shelves...
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I thought the Nosler 26 was a bit slow. So, I bought a 6.5-300 Wby instead. grin

That's the spirit!
As I have mentioned before, I met a guy at the local range that had, had built, a custom 26 Nosler for his slight-built 12 year-old daughter. 28" barrel or some fuucking thing. What a jack-wadd.
I have one, like it a lot. I’ll never wear mine out, sighted it in with maybe ten shots, killed 3 deer, two Aoudads and six piggies. I’m a hunter, not a steel banger, or a paper puncher. I have rifles like 223’s, 22-250’s to shoot the hell out of. I haven’t hunted with it in 3 yrs, but will this next year, so I’ll check zero, probably 5 shots or so.

I like it cause it has little recoil and hits hard. Mine is a Sendero I had rebarreled. It’s the rifle on the right. I use 140 Ballistic tips with 869 powder, one grain under book max. The other rifles are a 7mm ultra and a 300 Win Mag.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ll never wear mine out, sighted it in with maybe ten shots ... I’m a hunter, not a steel banger, or a paper puncher. I have rifles like 223’s, 22-250’s to shoot the hell out of. I haven’t hunted with it in 3 yrs, but will this next year, so I’ll check zero, probably 5 shots or so.

I'm the same way.
Saw a guy at the range with one - I said no wonder there's a powder shortage and people have to wait weeks for a barrel . I said how many barrels you burned off that thing ? - what are you some kind of a big show-off --- he got burning mad .
Saw a guy at the range with one - I said no wonder there's a powder shortage and people have to wait weeks for a barrel . I said how many barrels you burned off that thing ? - what are you some kind of a big show-off --- he got burning mad .

You bitch at folks for driving an F-350 to the range too? I mean, gawd damn, think of all the diesel they wasted!

You get voted pivot man at the men's room alot don't you?
F-350s are sooo stupid!

Stupid expensive!

Seriously - bitching about a chambering not in the top 25 of rifle chamberings contributing to the powder shortage and lead time for barrels. Nothing to do with hoarders; no, it’s all these damn 26 Nosler shooters.
SMFH.
Pardon these thoughts from a Canuck.....

America; land of the free and the second amendment. Whose business is it whatsoever what a free citizen chooses to spend his / her money on and how they choose to exercise the second amendment.

Elks (Elkhunter) shoots jack rabbits with a .460 weatherby, I do not wish to do that but god bless Elks for exercising his freedom of choice and exercising his second amendment rights. I have shot gophers with a .375 H&H and a .17HMR on the same day, my freedom of choice don’t gaf what others have to say about it.

The 26 Nosler does not interest me enough to buy one, but I am happy and excited for whoever wishes to buy one and is able to do so. If that person wants to shoot gophers with it and cooks a barrel in a day, good for them; their money their choices.

If we spent more time trying to fix the [bleep] looking at us in the mirror and less time on all the other folks we come across we would all be happier better people.

Three cheers for big overbore cartridges and those who chose to own and shoot them.
26 Nosler is just --wrong

Yep, me too. Love the rifle and chambering. 👍
Two of my buds also voted for the 6.5x300 with their dollars. Like GRF, I have no use for the 26 NOS, or, the 6.5x300. But, more power to them...
Originally Posted by Judman

More powder = fun = other people get angry.
Thinking ol mike is 🎣

Hot damn you're stupid.
The faster you shoot out the barrel, the sooner you can experiment with new throat dimensions and a new twist. yeehaw!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Internet trolls are characterised by the 'Dark Tetrad' of personality traits, including psychopathy, Machiavellianism, Narcissism and sadism.
My boy was fawning over the 6.5-300 in badlands on the Weatherby website. I told him it was his money waste however he wishes......

But......I did tell him if I were him I'd plan a hunting trip to kill schitt with the guns I already own before buying another.

Either way up to him.
Guess I'm really bad because I own both a 26 Nosler and a 6.5-300 Weatherby. On the slower side I have a 264 Win, a 6.5 PRC, 6.5-06, and a 256 Newton. I like the 6.5's.
I like the fire-breathers at times, but I've never shot out a barrel. I plink and deer hunt with the smaller cases and just sight in and moderately practice with the hot stuff, aim them at the bigger critters, and then put them back in the safe for a bit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Most of the guys bitching about barrel life have never shot out a barrel.
I have two barrel burners! Several rifles in 22-250 and 220 Swift. I have been gunsmithing for 37 years so I just rebarrel as necessary. I don't shoot my high power hunting rifles at steel or long range sessions shooting paper. I sight them in hunt and clean and they remain in the safe until next year when I verify the zero and hunt again. I have never shot out a barrel on any hunting rifle.
I would like a 6.5/378. Would be something with 100 grain bullets
I have one, like it a lot. I’ll never wear mine out, sighted it in with maybe ten shots, killed 3 deer, two Aoudads and six piggies. I’m a hunter, not a steel banger, or a paper puncher. I have rifles like 223’s, 22-250’s to shoot the hell out of. I haven’t hunted with it in 3 yrs, but will this next year, so I’ll check zero, probably 5 shots or so.

I like it cause it has little recoil and hits hard. Mine is a Sendero I had rebarreled. It’s the rifle on the right. I use 140 Ballistic tips with 869 powder, one grain under book max. The other rifles are a 7mm ultra and a 300 Win Mag.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I ran around 400 rounds thru my then new SS Shilen M-700 26 Nosler, trying about every possible load. Now, it sits in the safe, occasionally used to hunt while I work with other projects. It shows some throat wear thru the Hawkeye but is still sub MOA with select loads.

I shot out a .222 M-700 in my misspent youth, shooting crows. It became a .204, then I traded it.

I haven’t shot out many, not likely to shoot out another. But I’m not a target shooter. Most of my shooting is project development, much less actually hunting.

DF
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
I have two barrel burners! Several rifles in 22-250 and 220 Swift. I have been gunsmithing for 37 years so I just rebarrel as necessary. I don't shoot my high power hunting rifles at steel or long range sessions shooting paper. I sight them in hunt and clean and they remain in the safe until next year when I verify the zero and hunt again. I have never shot out a barrel on any hunting rifle.

Well, that sure doesn't sound like fun.

Ticking someone off at a shooting range - doesn't seem like a good idea.
Originally Posted by MikeMcGuire

I think you mean 6.5-300, but, man, a 6.5-378 would be a killer. Probably would need a 32" barrel to burn all of that powder.

If you went with a 100gr bullet in the 6.5-300, I suspect you might need a slower-twist barrel than the 1:8" that commonly adorns the 6.5-300 rifles, but I'm no expert on that.
I have one. It kills great. Its like a laser. However, the hydrostatic damage to meat is nuts. I think that it is probably a very good wolf cartridge as long as you don't hit the spine. It would punch right through. Mtn Goats have tough structures and even the best bullets just straight blow the sh3t out of the meat.
smile
Barrels are like tires, they don't last forever. Sure is fun while they last though.

I think you mean 6.5-300, but, man, a 6.5-378 would be a killer. Probably would need a 32" barrel to burn all of that powder.

If you went with a 100gr bullet in the 6.5-300, I suspect you might need a slower-twist barrel than the 1:8" that commonly adorns the 6.5-300 rifles, but I'm no expert on that.

No, I meant a 6.5/378. Actually I would prefer a 270/378 and would have preferred a 270/300, just prefer the 270 bore over both the 6.5 and 7mm.
The 6.5x378 has been done already, can you say diminishing returns? Hill Country Rifles has decided to not do anymore 6.5x300 Wby's as they can't guarantee the accuracy, I believe they will still do the 26 Nosler. This is contrary to the older wins at 1,000 yards with the Pennsylvania shooters in I believe the 1960's or 70s. Few shoot them now.

Anything smaller than the 7mm STW seems cantankerous to work up loads for, this is from what I have read, no first hand experience.
No, I meant a 6.5/378. Actually I would prefer a 270/378 and would have preferred a 270/300, just prefer the 270 bore over both the 6.5 and 7mm.

Originally Posted by DBoston
The 6.5x378 has been done already, can you say diminishing returns? Hill Country Rifles has decided to not do anymore 6.5x300 Wby's as they can't guarantee the accuracy, I believe they will still do the 26 Nosler. This is contrary to the older wins at 1,000 yards with the Pennsylvania shooters in I believe the 1960's or 70s. Few shoot them now.

Anything smaller than the 7mm STW seems cantankerous to work up loads for, this is from what I have read, no first hand experience.

Thanks for the info.

Yesterday, I got the group on the right with 127gr LRXs from my factory Wby un-floated Accugaurd with a replacement free-floated B&C stock. The one on the left is my son shooting his 7mm Wby MkV.

So, it seems I've found a load that works with my 6.5-300.
Originally Posted by Judman

Ditto! I’m sure my 6.5-300 will exceed my expectations in the field. Happy Trails
From what I've read, the 6.5-300 is only marginally better than the 26 Nosler, some saying not enough difference to talk about.

I have the 26 Nos, not the Wby, so I can't report on a side by side comparison.

If I remember correctly, JB bought the 26 Nos he tested, sold his .264 WM, if that tells you anything.

And, the Nos is a beltless round, if that means anything.

I do like mine, currently loaded with 156 EOL's over Vv n-570 at around 3K fps, easily MOA.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
From what I've read, the 6.5-300 is only marginally better than the 26 Nosler, some saying not enough difference to talk about.

If I remember correctly, JB bought the 26 Nos he tested, sold his .264 WM, if that tells you anything.

I do like mine, currently loaded with 156 EOL's over Vv n-570 at around 3K fps, easily MOA.

DF

I am surprised as aren't folks getting 3100 fps with 150's in the 270 using Re-26?

I ran a thread on this before buying. I picked the 6.5-300 only because of the rifles in which I could find them chambered and their relative costs and features.
.........................LOL...........Ok well aaaah ok!!......Well if anyone wishes to buy one and uses their own hard earned money to get one? Well? And if they get only 500 rounds of barrel life or 1500 rounds, then who pays for a new barrel. Not you right? Ok so you are not a 26 Nosler fan. Did you start this thread to discourage anybody here from buying a 26 Nosler? Or start this thread to rag on those who already own one? Both?

Anything wrong with a 28 Nosler? How about a 338-378 Wby? 375 Ruger? Hey! Maybe there are a few things wrong with a 300 WSM too?....LOL

Aren't opinions fun.......
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
.........................LOL...........Ok well aaaah ok!!......Well if anyone wishes to buy one and uses their own hard earned money to get one? Well? And if they get only 500 rounds of barrel life or 1500 rounds, then who pays for a new barrel. Not you right? Ok so you are not a 26 Nosler fan. Did you start this thread to discourage anybody here from buying a 26 Nosler? Or start this thread to rag on those who already own one? Both?

Anything wrong with a 28 Nosler? How about a 338-378 Wby? 375 Ruger? Hey! Maybe there are a few things wrong with a 300 WSM too?....LOL

I shoot a 6.5x47L - it's just not right that the 26Nosler shoots so much faster than my rifle .

28Nosler = bad - it shoots faster than my 280AI . smile
Originally Posted by BWalker

Amen Brother.

Also as Elmer Keith said, "To hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!"
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

I shoot a 6.5x47L - it's just not right that the 26Nosler shoots so much faster than my rifle .

28Nosler = bad - it shoots faster than my 280AI . smile
................Appears you have a jealousy issue rather than a beef with the 26 Nosler? Maybe time to upgrade then? I tinks u should go fer a 6.5/300 Wby. That way your jealous issue would be solved...LOL.
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

I am surprised as aren't folks getting 3100 fps with 150's in the 270 using Re-26?

Yep Ed, the old 270 doesn't give up much to these large magnums.... but who want's to hunt with a gay rifle? right smile

I'm still laughing.... So true.

My 26 shoots 100gr Skinners 4000fps. Seriously.

My 45-70 shoots 400 grainers a bit slower.
Originally Posted by Blackbrush

I'm still laughing.... So true.

My 26 shoots 100gr Skinners 4000fps. Seriously.

My 45-70 shoots 400 grainers a bit slower.

What’s yo skinner load in the 26?

A larger bore will always shoot the same wt bullet faster.

DF

Edited to add, 26 Nos, 3,600 fps with 100's generates 60K+ psi, wonder what pressure you're generating at 4K. I'm assuming you clocked that load.

I wouldn't shoot any WT's with that. I once chest shot a WT doe with a 90 gr. Scenar at 3,450 out of my .240 Wby. Made soup of her chest. Once was enough. Nasty clean up at the skinning shed.

N570 in a 27" barrel - long throat

Bang flops on pigs (up to 225lbs so far) and deer. Ranges 65yds to 320 so far
Just fer schitz-n-giggles,..........

Among other 6.5's I've owned have been 6.5-284, 264 Win Mag, 6.5 Leopard (6.5-300 WSM) 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC (my current fav') and the 26 Nosler.

For a couple years, it was my go to fav, if I was going to be shooting 200 yds and more.

Killed any number of critters with it.

Nothing to write home about

but it sure did the job!

When I bought this Browning Hell's Canyon Speed, Long range, I also picked up 5 boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade factory ammo loaded with the 142 Gr., Long Range accubonds. I normally reload but in this instance the cost of dies, bullets and brass were more than the cost of the factory loads. To say the least, I've been pleased with their performance

Now granted most of the critters I perforate are under 300 lbs.

However, not one has taken a step after bullet impact. Each and every one has been Bang/Flop and DRT.

One particular hoglet that I shot just before dark-thirty down in south Texas was the most memorable.

He comes into the feeder and is in constant motion. I'm losing light fast and do not have a kill light on the scope. In the whole time I am watching him he does not present me with my favorite shot, being two inches below his ear on a line between the ear and shoulder. I finally decide to take a head on shot before I lose my light.

The LRAB catches him just behind the point of his withers. I'm in an elevated box blind so the bullet is on a downward angle trajectory. He drops at the shot, DRT. I jack another round into the chamber but he's done for. I wait a couple minutes and clamber out of the stand to go take a look-see. You've heard the expression "knocked his dick in the dirt. Well when I roll him over to see the exit, his pecker is laying in the dirt underneath his body. That LRAB went all the way through him and severed his pecker from his body, literally knocking his dick in the dirt.

TFF!

ya!

GWB
Poor ole piggie!!!!
Poor ole piggie!!!!

GW’s hard on those poor pigs.

Ha! At least he kill’s them in style. But all that finesse is probably lost on those hogs.

DF
We all have our likes and dislikes. I make my decisions on calibers based on their intended use. I don't care for the nosler calibers myself, but wont knock anyone who enjoys theirs. This is just my opinion, and you know what they say about that. I think the nosler calibers are a flash in the pan. There are so many older calibers that do a lot of what these new calibers do, I see no reason to change. I am not one to get the latest and greatest for the sake of it. I enjoy my old 7mm rem mag and have never had it not complete the task at hand. You will always have people who wan the newest thing for whatever reason, to each their own.
© 24hourcampfire