Home
Posted By: 16bore Where’s your mind these days? - 02/01/21
1. Buying as much of everything as possible?

2. Stocking up on your favorites?

3. Selling everything not bolted down since prices are high?

4. Narrowing to “needs” and phuqq the rest?

5. Status quo?

6. Other?
stocking up on my favs, sell what I'll likely not use to try and fill some else's needs and not looking at any new cartridges....sure heck not the 6.5 PRC.
I already load for about 17 rifles in 8 different cartridges...enough for now.
I only bought 2 packs of # 11 muzzleloader caps and just yesterday , I saw Hornady .243 100 gr boattails for $22.99 plus tax and bought 3 packs , so I now have 300 more bullets for my .243. The price was very reasonable.
would like to sell down to a couple stainless steel only pieces to cut down on maintenance
I'm setting up a contender with threaded 22lr and 30-30 barrels.

I sold an AR upper and some other "stuff" to do it.

I want my son to be able to practice with his hunting rifle, and I have tens of thousands of rounds of 22lr. I'm not running out anytime this decade using a single shot.

I'll probably sell another AR or two if things get really stupid and buy some more components and powder.
I’m in the number 2 camp
A little of all the above.

On the fence about selling some factory ammo because the prices are just so nuts. But also a little uneasy about access if online sales somehow get restricted and so many stores around here are getting out of guns/ammo. (I can reload, but like to keep factory around too.)
anyone stocking up right now is stupid to me. But thats just me. You had years of warnings. Yet even I missed a few items. But ain't gonna pay stupid prices. WHY? I mean what do you gain at all from stupid prices. If they ban things you can't shoot or you will get reported. If they don't it will cycle around like it has in the past.

If its a war kinda thought you only really need enough rounds to win a few encounters and your stock grows. Or you loose and a million rounds in the cellar won't matter at that point.
Tomorrow I am getting rifle for stash of ammo I have.
About 2-3 years ago I sold all the safe queens and built a few rifles that were my idea of the perfect rifle for what I do and the hunts I plan on. Decided that I was going to spend future money on my bucket list hunts while I had my health and ability. I have been stocking up on components for those couple rifles the last 2 years and I was set before this craziness all started.
I am using the current demand to unload all the components (bullets mostly) for guns I no longer have. Nothing crazy, everything sold here at what retail was before prices went crazy. More so to get my reloading room uncluttered a bit than anything else.
I saw this coming 6 months ago and got a couple extra things to make sure I didn't have to worry about it.
Overall I'm in good shape.

Stocked up with prices were low. Saw what was coming when COVID hit, so topped off most of what I "needed" then. There's a few things I'll keep an eye out for, but for the most part I'm neither buying or sell, just cautiously enjoying what I have, but not too fast since we can't be sure how long this will last.
I've sold enough excess to build a couple rifles, and upgrade optics on a couple others....thank God for folks willing to pay ridiculous prices.

Bought a few things here and there, at regular prices...even flipped some stuff here and there.
Originally Posted by 16bore

5. Status quo?

6. Other?

1. Buying what I come across that is a good deal. Primers, powder, bullets, rifles, scopes etc. etc...
2. Trying to stock up. Not paying exorbitant prices on anything. Already stocked up on things I need/use...
3. Not selling, but thinking I should start.
4. What does need have to do with anything?
5. Not hardly.
6. Buying real cheap as always. 2 rifles in the last 3 weeks with scopes on them. Have $300.00 into the Tikka T3 stainless lite 308w and $300.00 into the Winchester model 70 stainless classic 30-06 with walnut stock. Bought a like new Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 for $499.00 as well... Buy cheap, never lose money on a gun deal...

I'm also like antelopesniper in that I do not shoot nearly as much as I used to. Those 300 round days with the AR are over for now, until things go back to normal. Still shooting though. Took my new Tikka 308w out yesterday and today. Working up loads and fine tuning the rifle. Found an issue with the original Tikka aluminum rings, but corrected that with some different ones...
Only adding to frequently used components. Letting go of items I have lost interest in. Maybe they can help someone else throw his mess.
GreggH
Mostly a combination of 2 & 4. I gave away some smaller stuff recently and have a couple other things I might pass along if I find someone who will appreciate it and not just flip them. Started streamlining a couple years back, the stuff I want to hang onto purely for sentimental reasons wouldn't bring enough to matter even with prices being up so I'll hang onto them. Meantime I'll keep an eye out for deals on essentials.
I am pretty much status quo. Picking up stuff when I see it. Building a .260 Rem out of a Walmart special Rem 700 ADL.

I have been giving some stuff away to a few members of various forums. Mostly to those who engage in good conversation and are not complete douchebags. Been buying a few things too, but not from newbies who are obviously just trying to make a buck.
Yeah I purged My safe of all my "Queens" and I have also greatly simplified my reloading bench, I now only load for 3 different bore diameters and I am fairly stocked on supplies for those, BUT..I have cut back on my trips to the shooting range...I am still adding to my reloading supplies when I get the chance like last week i happened across a couple boxes of large rifle primers at a LGS so i bought them @$4.95 per box 👍.....Hb
I had a horde of powder, primers, brass and projectiles. And then we moved. Our shipper wouldn’t allow powder or primers so I grudgingly sold my unopened powder off and gave away the open cans. Primers I smuggled some in inconspicuous places in the container, not all of them but a few thousand anyway. Looking back I should have put the powder in a sea chest and buried it in the container, they didn’t inspect anything, too late now.

Anyway we moved from somewhere that had enough gun shops and gun shows that I made a weekly circuit after I got off at noon on Saturday. Down here we have our choice of gun shops anywhere from 40 to 80 miles away for the convenient ones, the rest are further or in the city I try to avoid. That coupled with my cheapness making me not want to pay hazmat had me kind of complacent as far as restocking. When I worked on the road I’d grab a pound or two of powder here or there or a brick of primers so I never ran out but I wasn’t buying the quantities I should have been.

Now I’m still buying and have accepted that hazmat shipping is a necessary evil. But I’m not paying crack prices for anything. Bullets, powder, and primers are out there to be had if you don’t hesitate and they aren’t any higher than normal if you’re getting them from Grafs, Midsouth, Midway, Etc.

I’m not stocking up for a war, just figure it’s not a bad idea to have plenty for my son to be able to grow up shooting like I did.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Overall I'm in good shape.

Stocked up with prices were low. Saw what was coming when COVID hit, so topped off most of what I "needed" then. There's a few things I'll keep an eye out for, but for the most part I'm neither buying or sell, just cautiously enjoying what I have, but not too fast since we can't be sure how long this will last.

Mostly this. Also not shooting nearly as much as I used to and with getting rich slowly between Obama Shortage II and now, am set with components and .22 ammo for several years at the current rate.

Over the last year have divested myself of all semi-auto pistols that weren't 9mm or .22 and all revolvers that weren't .38 Spl or .357 Magnum, sold off all the LP primers as well. Have also sold off rifles in chamberings I won't use any more or that were duplicates of other rifles in the same chambering.

Keeping an eye out for one firearm in particular but can afford to bide my time and wait for the right deal. Even among the wide and wild eyed sellers trying to ride the current bubble a few "reasonable" prices can occasionally be found.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’m not stocking up for a war, just figure it’s not a bad idea to have plenty for my son to be able to grow up shooting like I did.

This.

For factory ammo and reload stuff, I was in solid shape before the panic. Could hunt with multiple cartridges for decades. But I'm still looking for things if they're a good deal because, while I don't think anything is getting banned, I do think they're going to try to choke off supply through inconvenience and expense. So the more already on hand the better for range, kiddos, etc.

Status quo......been preparing for this moment for 40 years! Though, a few more preparations would be nice! memtb
I’m good on the gun stuff. Don’t need anything except for my tax stamps to come home.
Getting back in to archery.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Keeping an eye out for one firearm in particular but can afford to bide my time and wait for the right deal. Even among the wide and wild eyed sellers trying to ride the current bubble a few "reasonable" prices can occasionally be found.

Found it and just bought it... wink

That puts me at Condition 5 - status quo for the foreseeable future.
Just started to get into 270 win recently. Im in good shape. Got lots of US869 and 50BMG powder for big boomers i shot but i dont use them as much now. Maybe i should get rid of those excess powders
2 and 4 I guess.

It's not just the times .. politics and COVID and nothing available, I've been fighting burnout from overdoing it for quite a while and now I've moved to where the drive to the range is 1-1/2 to 2 hours round trip. I've hit a point where I don't want to spend my time and money on guns to exclusion of all other interests.

I have one pretty decent medium game rifle that does everything I currently do quite adequately. I'd like to stock up a few more bullets for it. I have a good light varmint rifle and enough components to shoot out the barrel, so no need to buy anything for it.

I'm down to one centerfire rifle I'm truly experimenting with and two handguns I've been puttering with for a few years, one that can be quite frustrating, so I have puzzles to work on when I'm in the mood for puzzles.

I've got a pile of stuff for 3-4 different cartridges that I'm not sure now, given lack of gun availability, that I'll ever move forward with. I'm waffling on sitting on them in hopes of the situation improving vs selling them to help out people who need them. Dunno.

Tom
Defcon 5...my battery of obsolete antiques from 1790 to 1946, is totally unaffected by current trends and hysteria.
Nothing much different than I normally do. Guns can be had at normal prices if you stay off Gun Broker. So can ammo if you can get to it.

5. Status quo?

6. Other?

Mainly #4, maybe #6. My interests have been shifting from hunting rifles to single shot target rifles. While I haven't started selling off hunting rifles, yet, I have been acquiring single shots some of which posed new problems related to feeding them. I'm sitting fat, dumb, and happy in terms of large rifle primers, medium-slow burning powders, and jacketed bullets for what I owned/shot a year ago. Then in the midst of a pandemic and an election that went sideways I suddenly find a need for a couple flavors of faster burning powders to feed a couple new/old Schuetzen rifles. Uh oh, now I too am scrambling. (Got any 4227, AA#9, or 300MP, haha?!)

I thought I was set for small pistol primers for I mainly only used them to load .22 Hornets, and a few thousand would carry me quite a while. Then, again during the summer and fall last year, I couldn't resist revisiting some revolver shooting, acquired a fistful of vintage .38 and .32 Smiths and Colts, and bingo the SP primer situation is now bleak at my house.

Thank God a large percentage of my rifle and pistol shooting is with cast bullets, and the drawer full of moulds and a ton of lead will keep me in projectiles for every gun I own for a helluva long time.

.22 rimfire: A-ok. I'm not much of a plinker and the 15,000 rounds or so on the shelf is plenty. Glad that a large percentage of it is premo target ammo for feeding the M52, Martini, and Ballard target rifles.
#4 and 6 I guess. I'm cutting back on the odd ball stuff. I'm looking for the right deal on a short barreled .308 Win to use with my suppressor, but in no hurry to buy. Thankfull that I'm well stocked on ammo and components. Needing to build a new reloading room.
With each passing year need less inventory. More about having time to use stuff.

Didn't need much of anything one year ago. But am open to deals. Managed to pick up 14k primers at $20/k couple months ago. Along with powder, reloading equipment, etc.

Passed some along - sans markup, some gratis - to a couple young ex-mil club members who got a late start on reloading through no fault of theirs. Wish my kids had greater interest but........
I got into the reloading game 2 months before the COVID mess. Luckily I had bought primers and a few powders 2-3 years ago, though not a whole lot. Now I am reloading for several different calibers and buying what I can when I find it. Some of my common calibers are almost impossible to find reloading components for, so they are sitting in the safe. I swore I’d never reload for me 270 WSM, but I am now. Between that, .280, and .260 REM., I’m enjoying reloading, I just need brass for the WSM as it’s limited at the moment. As far as buying guns, I may buy a new 22LR, as I am well stocked on it from a few years ago. While I’ve cut down my shooting, I am going to join a local range next month so I can at least test out my reloads. The only thing I’m not stocked upon to shoot regularly, is my 40 s&w. Last ammo shortage, that stuff was everywhere. I kind of thought this time around would go that way, but I was wrong.

My oldest son is deploying soon, but when he gets home he says he’s buying his own house. I told him to get a gun safe, as I’m going to start thinning out a few, but he has first pick before I do. I got 2 I may sale as I know he doesn’t like them, but others he gets first pick and then I’ll sell.
Though I was in good shape I bought four Mauser M12 308's, one for me and one for each son come Christmas. I had a set of dies from years ago but went on a hunt and acquired plenty and quite reasonably, dies (a kind forum member), brass and bullets (LGS and mail order) for the gang. I am flush with primers so the three boys will enjoy a nice Christmas.
Status Quo

Fellas I'm NOT bragging nor being demeaning.

I have more rifles - handguns - shotguns, than I can shoot and hunt, so I am pat.

Don't remember what year but when powders 'started' going up I began stocking up.
This empty can is one of 3 lbs of 4350 I bought the day I saw this price ! $15.99

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The no.1 indicates the First Lot I bought as the price began rising. You know the rest of the story.

I always bought 1 xtra box of bullets and when I found them on sale I bought bullets in bulk.
I don't remember buying just 1 or 2 hundred primers at a time. By the brick was cheaper.

I have more ammo and components than I will live long enuff to shoot.
It took a lot of years to collect but I'm content !

Jerry
Depressed as all hell with the political situation.....and #1

5. Status quo?

6. Other?

I am kind of status quo at the moment. Have no real need for anything at the moment. Absolutely refuse the pay the prices on ammo and primers right now. Always searching for the good deal. I do not get to shoot much anymore. So I am probably good for quite awhile.
Business as usual for me. Have several builds going. Buy components when available at normal prices. One thing I have changed is no new cartridge's for me. No chasing new brass and dies.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Business as usual for me. Have several builds going. Buy components when available at normal prices. One thing I have changed is no new cartridge's for me. No chasing new brass and dies.

I did buy a new 6.5 CM last month. Luckily all I needed was dues and brass for it and I found those online. Not adding anything else, and as said will probably thin my guns out in the near future.
I'm not panic buying or hoarding. But I'm also not buying rifles that I otherwise would because I can't find ammunition for them. I would buy a 6.5/300 Weatherby but for the fact I can't find any ammo. Instead I bought a 300 Win Mag because there's been a fairly steady supply of Federal locally. Turns out the gun hates Federal. It loves Remington but I can't find any of that at all.
Pretty much stocked up before the SHTF, but will be moving soon so I have started a clean up. Will sell my extra's no longer needed stuff. No I will not gouge folks. It does however, nowadays it seems full retail (before the SHTF) is a deal.
I have enough ammo and reloading components to keep my 12 year old grandson happy shooting p dogs , ground squirrels and rock chucks for a while , so I feel fortunate about that. I don't shoot as much as I used to but enjoy being his spotter.
Standing pat right now only shopping for what I need. Only needing a set of 6.5 CM dies right now.
Looking for a few reloading dies, nothing more. If they show up, I’ll buy them, if not, no worries. I’m not even putting out any “WTB” threads.
After the last wolf hunt that turned into a coyote hunt I’m wondering why I even bother with anything but the 256 Newton. I have plenty of 270 win cases waiting to be resurrected and enough 4350 and 140 partitions to last several years.
Found a good bullet lot yesterday, all 270 bullets I load except for some 150 grand slams. I’ll sell or trade them off.
Mostly 2 and 4. Buying or trading for favorites when come across a good deal. Thinning the herds, don't shoot as much as before

Frequently checking my Crystal Ball trying to decipher when the craziness will come to a end. This time around it's highly unlikely we will see an abrupt "Trump Slump" like last time.

Measuring my rate of shooting on a yearly basis vs the components sitting in my cabinets.

I got enough components to keep me in elk meat the of my life. But I still wonder.........
5. Status quo?
6. Other?

1. No.

2. Yes - when prices are "normal". Right now the only think I'm short on is Small Pistol primers - only have 1K. Could use some more H4350 and VL-C(2), down to about 4 pounds each.

3. Selling nothing.

4. No. Continuing to "plan ahead".

5. No. Turning components into loaded ammo, especially defensive ammo, which I've somewhat neglected in the past. Especially .327 Fed, .380ACP, 9mm Luger, .38 SPL for the handguns, .300 Blackout and .308 Win for the ARs.

6. Did a thorough inventory of ammo and components. Converted about 500 5.56 cases to 300 Blackout. Chrono'd 19 different handgun, AR and bolt rifle load combinations a couple days ago - these were known good loads I had on the shelf that had simply never been chrono'd in these combinations of firearm and load..
Just starting to pare down my assortment of firearms and ammo. A possible major move on the horizon and need to get ready.

5. Status quo?

6. Other?

Selling down a couple three or 4 rifles, putting a stop on a custom FN-98 build, selling off a bunch of un-used gun parts and kit. Concentrating on what I already have left which will be more than enough.

Retirement is coming. I'd rather spend $$ on another NFLD moose hunt down the road.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
5. Status quo?
6. Other?

1. No.

2. Yes - when prices are "normal". Right now the only think I'm short on is Small Pistol primers - only have 1K. Could use some more H4350 and VL-C(2), down to about 4 pounds each.

3. Selling nothing.

4. No. Continuing to "plan ahead".

5. No. Turning components into loaded ammo, especially defensive ammo, which I've somewhat neglected in the past. Especially .327 Fed, .380ACP, 9mm Luger, .38 SPL for the handguns, .300 Blackout and .308 Win for the ARs.

6. Did a thorough inventory of ammo and components. Converted about 500 5.56 cases to 300 Blackout. Chrono'd 19 different handgun, AR and bolt rifle load combinations a couple days ago - these were known good loads I had on the shelf that had simply never been chrono'd in these combinations of firearm and load..

Probably the wrong place to ask, but how do you like the 327 fed? Are the reports about it being louder than hell just internet whining? Seems like it would be handy especially with ability to drop down to other 32s.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

Probably the wrong place to ask, but how do you like the 327 fed? Are the reports about it being louder than hell just internet whining? Seems like it would be handy especially with ability to drop down to other 32s.

The 327 Fed is a great little cartridge. Last weekend I clocked American Eagle 85g loads at 1581fpe from my Ruger SP101. Would love to have a levergun chambered for it.

We keep the SP101 hidden in the house for defensive purposes, away from the 2-6 year-old grandkids, 32H&R cases loaded with 100g XTP over a meager 4.6g Titegroup, 1280fps.

Internet whining for the most part, but when you run 1581fps it is going to be louder than 1000fps.
Where’s my mind these days ?

In the gutter as usual. 😜
Not buying anything to hoard or resell. If .223 gets to $3k per 1,000, I’m selling!!!!

Offloading a stainless Bodyguard that I have never fired or carried to a buddy who really wants it. No price gouge.

All the rest were lost in a tragic boating accident.

Happy Trails

Offloading a stainless Bodyguard that I have never fired or carried to a buddy who really wants it. No price gouge.

All the rest were lost in a tragic boating accident.

Yup, the old “I lost it in a fire, or they were all stolen” plan of avoiding the gun grab by the Nazis is nothing less than hilarious. If anyone thinks they will escape unscathed, they have another think coming.

There are commies all around you just waiting to turn you in. They are blatant about it right here, such as these losers:

Originally Posted by gdc2
Contact the Attorney's General office in their state about price gouging. I know the folks on here dont want to turn the law on ammo retailers, but people like this are not your friends. They could be doing their part to end this foolishness, however they choose to take advantage of the same people that have made their business a success.

Originally Posted by gemby58
Plus there not reporting to the IRS LOL
Kinda had an idea to build a 6PRC but I've put that on hold as I don't want to try to chase brass and custom dies in this environment. That was sort of a bummer. I'm flush with my regular stuff such that I'll just do the shooting I'd normally do.

I don't typically buy during times like this short of nabbing the odd box of bullets/primers, or a pound or two of powder for friends who are in need.

I try not to be part of the problem.
Just put together a 6mm AR, so I can shoot more. Still seeing 6mm bullets on a regular basis and bought 500, 100gr btsp for $25/100. That way I can keep shooting a centerfire AR. I also just bought a 10-22, so I can make use of some of the 25,000 rounds of 22lr I have. I hate having to slow down on my shooting, so I'm making due... Had to buy a better barrel for that rifle though, as I know most factory ruger 10-22 barrels are dogs. Not all, but most. Rifle should be a good shooter with most types of ammo I will be using in it. Bought the rifle a week and a half ago and the fugging back ground check will be done in another week and a half. By that time I'll have all the aftermarket parts delivered and ready to throw on it.
Originally Posted by horse1
Kinda had an idea to build a 6PRC but I've put that on hold as I don't want to try to chase brass and custom dies in this environment. That was sort of a bummer. I'm flush with my regular stuff such that I'll just do the shooting I'd normally do.

I don't typically buy during times like this short of nabbing the odd box of bullets/primers, or a pound or two of powder for friends who are in need.

Thats a piss poor excuse. I see 6PRC dies everywhere right now. 6mm bullets are very easy to find as well. Especially Barnes, which just screams 6PRC. A 6mm something makes a lot of sense right now, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of guys shooting them. I also see 6PRC brass too. If I were wanting one, I'd be doing it right now. Also its funny you think you need custom dies, but carry on..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thats a piss poor excuse. I see 6PRC dies everywhere right now. 6mm bullets are very easy to find as well. Especially Barnes, which just screams 6PRC. A 6mm something makes a lot of sense right now, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of guys shooting them. I also see 6PRC brass too. If I were wanting one, I'd be doing it right now. Also its funny you think you need custom dies, but carry on..

I think perhaps you have confused the 6ARC w/the 6PRC. I do have a 1:8.5 twist 243AI and 105 A-max's to keep it fed. I was going to twist the 6 PRC 1:7 with the idea of starting with the 110 A-Tip and being ready for the next round of high BC projectiles.

If you've actually seen 6 PRC brass and/or dies being offered by any manufacturer, I'd appreciate a link even if they're currently out of stock.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sometimes I read your post just to see what kind of senile rant you’re on. I see today you’re confused about what a 6PRC is, but carry on.
Looking at 270's
I did an inventory to minimize buying or searching for what I don't need and determine what I do need.

I am buying what I need when I can find if if the price is reasonable, mostly trading for what I need and did pretty well trading powders locally.

Sold four sets of Lee Loaders for a total of 295 and paid less than 50 for all of them.

Picked up some AR odds and ends to complete some builds like grips and stocked up on a variety of mags.

I really don't have an interest in selling much of what I have to make extra cash preferring to wait it out.

5. Status quo?

6. Other?

4, 2, 3 ...

4) Narrowing total number down to less than ten...
2) Finish stocking up on what I will need for me and my life time (almost there).
3) Selling left overs to family and friends who are also stocking up (not flipping).

Have one rifle left to tinker with. It will be rebarreled to a chambering for which I have ammo and components, but no rifle. After that, gonna start casting for fun and practice...
© 24hourcampfire