Home
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/02/21
How well do you like your Bell and Carlson rifle stocks?

Are they better than Boyd’s and Hogue stocks on hunting rifles?

Do you do drop-in or do you bed them?

McMillan no longer builds Ruger 77 stocks.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/02/21
They are pretty solid choice and if they come on a gun are usually pretty well inletted. The newer ones seem a little more trim.
Posted By: goodshot Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/02/21
Bell and Carlson build's a nice product. I have always liked the fit and finish of the product line. They offer a pretty wide range of models as well! Skim bedding can help, but many shoot just fine w/o that being done. I'm a fan, they may be better stocks out there, but not at the price they are asking imo!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/02/21
Is it just me or is Stockys out of everything you want to buy ?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/02/21
ive used several B &C stocks, none hav ever given me issue.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/02/21
I like the new ones that I bought for my Tikka T 3

The new B&C stock is a lot better than the old B&C a little thick in grip and forearm IMHO but it has an aluminum chassis.

Flier from B&C explains the Ruger due to tolerances probably needs to be spot bedded.

Great instructions on how to bed and torque any Ruger 77 stock

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I like mine very much. Probably heresy, but I like them better than McMillans.
Wow, thank you for all the responses guys!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
I like them well enough to have and be using four of them. I will bed the lug and thats it.

.17 Rem

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.223AI

Posted By: fburgtx Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
Certainly better than a Hogue or a Boyds. No, they’re not a McMillan or Manners, but they’re not $700 plus, either. They’re a good, quality product, and if you’re not going for the absolute lightest stock (and you’re ok with they’re rather basic selection of colors/webbing pattern), they are well worth the money.

It WOULD be nice if they offered, say, a $50 “custom color” option, with a few extra base colors and web colors.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Certainly better than a Hogue or a Boyds. No, they’re not a McMillan or Manners, but they’re not $700 plus, either. They’re a good, quality product, and if you’re not going for the absolute lightest stock (and you’re ok with they’re rather basic selection of colors/webbing pattern), they are well worth the money.

It WOULD be nice if they offered, say, a $50 “custom color” option, with a few extra base colors and web colors.

And checkering.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by fburgtx

And checkering.

The Medalist model is checkered...if they still offer it.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
All the ones I’ve had have been excellent. A little inletting and dab bed the lug. Good to go.
I have the version without any aluminum or pillars. REM 700 LA BDL 25-06.

After about 40 rounds the area between the trigger and bottom metal cutouts cracked. It was undoubtedly due to not having the stability of the aluminum bedding block. B&C repaired it and before I shot it again my smith bedded the action from tang to 1” past the lug. No complaints or issues sense. Went from just over MOA to around .8-.9.

I like the feel and balance. But be aware of you get a non bedding block version, I would bed it.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
Had several, they are OK....a decent upgrade from factory junk.
Posted By: BC3 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
I'm a fan. I do think the painted finish is a wee bit slippery - I wish they would use something less so like the finish on the factory MK V stock. I've found inletting for a 700 to be spot on with no work needed. Easy to deal with - I needed to return one due to LOP being too short - and there were no issues. Oh, and a fair price as well. Plus, they don't have that ridiculous 70's bowling ball look.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/03/21
Never liked a single one except the Mauser model. Actually has checkering and doesn’t feel like a club.
The old carbelites were the clubs. The medalist are like any other stock.

I'm going to order one primed only, going to paint it myself.
B&C seem to fit me the best of all the aftermarket stocks. It's largely a personal preference thing, but I've come to prefer them over any others I've had experience with, which does include Hogue and McM, but does not include Manners. It boils down to fit, and I've never had any problems with any of them that some bedding work didn't solve.
Yeah, I always bed mine, regardless of aluminum block. No biggie...
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/04/21
Well it all your fault, went and bought another B&C stock for my LH Tikka T3x Black with red. Tried factory compared to the B&C had to raise head to center scope, comb was lo. $315 shipped to my door in Alaska with choice of colors and LH.
My tikka 264 wears a B&C, no complaints
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/09/21
B&C new stock on my LH Tikka 223 Before and after pictures. 4 days from order to delivery, I like them.

Posted By: goalie Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/15/21
I saw that they have a youth sized model for the Howa short actions.

I just ordered one for my son to use.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/15/21
Just bought my fifth B&C
I have a B&C on my .338WM and have had it for 10 years or so. I put one on a custom 25-06 I built but foolishly sold and the current owner says it’s his favorite rifle. I sold it to him just before he moved to Montana and the last I heard he’s taken dozens of big game animals with it. I’ve been thinking about getting another one or two for a couple of Winchesters.

Where are you guys getting them from?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/15/21
I like their medalists , I still skim bed them .
The .270 WCF M70 EW/SS came in one...

Like it a lot.

Makes for a well balanced, easy handlin', and soft shootin' rifle.

... it's just not an air-weight.

GR
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I have a B&C on my .338WM and have had it for 10 years or so. I put one on a custom 25-06 I built but foolishly sold and the current owner says it’s his favorite rifle. I sold it to him just before he moved to Montana and the last I heard he’s taken dozens of big game animals with it. I’ve been thinking about getting another one or two for a couple of Winchesters.

I got my stock directly from B&C. I just made an account and ordered. Took 2 weeks to arrive once it was ordered. Its for an M70 in 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel.
Posted By: WAM Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/16/21
I replaced an injection molded stock on my Weatherby Mark V with a B&C stock. Same stocks Weatherby has used for years. Gonna order one for a Win 70 featherweight 7x57 to see if the full length bedding block improves accuracy.
Originally Posted by WAM
I replaced an injection molded stock on my Weatherby Mark V with a B&C stock. Same stocks Weatherby has used for years. Gonna order one for a Win 70 featherweight 7x57 to see if the full length bedding block improves accuracy.

Did you try heavy bullets? I got so-so accuracy with my Dad’s until we got up to 160grs.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

I got my stock directly from B&C. I just made an account and ordered. Took 2 weeks to arrive once it was ordered. Its for an M70 in 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel.

Thanks Gooch! I have a pre-64 30-06 and a 1965 7mm mag that I want to stock, the 7mm is first though.
Posted By: goalie Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/16/21
I ordered right from them and it shipped the next day.

The color I picked was not listed as back-ordered

Thanks Gooch! I have a pre-64 30-06 and a 1965 7mm mag that I want to stock, the 7mm is first though.

No problem! I’d check to make sure the bottom metal inlet is correct. I have a one-piece.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/17/21
I have owned 4. 2 were the carbalight series,the 2 i currently have are Medalists. One on a 700 L/A, the other is on a 700 S/A. May not be the quality of the higher priced stocks, but I haven't had any issues with them. Plan on buying 2 more for a couple of 700 mountain rifles this year.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/17/21
I've owned a few and they worked well. All had the aluminum insert. They're gone down the road now but I have a m70 ew in 308, with a factory b&c stock, and it is my primary deer/elk rifle. I like em.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/17/21

I have a Browning Ti that has a B&C stock without the aluminum insert and weighs 26oz. I like it a lot. Most of their current stocks are quoted at ~2.5lbs which I'm not sure I'd like as much.
Posted By: OAM Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/17/21
I bought one about a month ago for a 300 RUM. I've probably put 25 rounds through it since and really like it! I had to do some very minor trimming with a dremel (am told that's common). No complaints though.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by OAM
I bought one about a month ago for a 300 RUM. I've probably put 25 rounds through it since and really like it! I had to do some very minor trimming with a dremel (am told that's common). No complaints though.
[Linked Image]

Is that the dark gray with black spider web?

Want to order a stock for my LH tikka, but so many of my choices are on back order....
Posted By: OAM Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/17/21
It's just "gray w/ black spiderweb web".
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/17/21
I have a B&C stock that came with my Weatherby Vanguard. I like it a lot.

Dan
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Want to order a stock for my LH tikka, but so many of my choices are on back order....
You can still order the backordered ones. I ordered the M40 for my Tikka T3x Varmint with the green/black stock last Friday. It showed as backordered. Reading further, it says 7-10 days for backordered items. I got and email from B&C today saying it was shipped and UPS says that I'll have it on Thursday. You can't beat that!
Posted By: goalie Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/23/21
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

My son's youth stock came in 4 days. Howa 6.5CM
Posted By: sndmn11 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/23/21
What does the length of pull and drop at comb/heel end up like? Does it fit your youth well?

Originally Posted by goalie

Posted By: WAM Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by WAM

Did you try heavy bullets? I got so-so accuracy with my Dad’s until we got up to 160grs.

Thanks, Gooch. I’ll try them. I have some 160 Accubonds to spare.

Happy Trails
Posted By: OAM Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by sndmn11
What does the length of pull and drop at comb/heel end up like? Does it fit your youth well?

I was going to ask the same thing!
Originally Posted by sndmn11

I'll post a pic with the old stock side by side tonight.

The little guy likes it. LOP is 12-12.5" I'm guessing.
Posted By: tzone Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by kk alaska
B&C new stock on my LH Tikka 223 Before and after pictures. 4 days from order to delivery, I like them.

I like that a lot.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Originally Posted by OAM
[Linked Image]

Is that the dark gray with black spider web?

Just placed my order for my LH tikka t3 stainless.....black with gray spider webbing........my 5th medalist in the safe.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/26/21
Six days from being backordered to being installed on the action. In these times (or any other), that's great service. I had to do a little relieving around the mag release inside the stock, but that's it.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/26/21
Wish they still offered an option for the Ruger M77 tang safety guns. Long and short action. Got a 77 tanger that could use a new handle.
I'm ordering one in March. They told me I could order one unpainted, just primed. I plan on painting it myself so that's the plan. Might modify grip angle too.
I may pick one up for my 700 ADL in 30-06. It looks like the only one they offer for the ADL is this one- Remington 700 ADL Mountain Ti, Sporter Style. In that style they offer two versions 1) for a mountain contour and 2) magnum contour. If I have a regular sporter weight barrel would the mountain contour fit? Would the magnum be way too wide?

Thanks,
Mike
The mountain won’t fit without opening the channel.
The magnum will have space but not horrible; at least to my eye.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Thanks. A little odd that the Sporter weight barrel is the most popular and they only make the stock in mountain and magnum contours. Makes no sense
Just buy BDL bottom metal and mag box...
Originally Posted by mikestaten

Thanks. A little odd that the Sporter weight barrel is the most popular and they only make the stock in mountain and magnum contours. Makes no sense

Likely because the original was for the Remington ti, which had either the mountain rifle profile in the standard or the mag profile in the saums. Probably haven’t changed it since other than the block.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/27/21
Strange to me that they wouldn’t have more ADL replacements for folks to throw on old ADL’s and WalMart specials, without having to source bottom metal...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/27/21
I likke them.
Have a ti stock on a 700 sa sporter. Can't say I like it any less than either of the McMillans I use.

Barrel channels are easy to open up.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/27/21
Best stock for the money going. I have 7 of the "Alaskan Ti's" and really like them alot. YMMV
Posted By: goalie Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/27/21
After shooting the youth stocked 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm even more impressed.

It "feels" better, thinner in a few places, less blocky, and it handles recoil really well.
And they didnt up charge you $80 for a recoil pad like McMillan
Posted By: goalie Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 02/28/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
And they didnt up charge you $80 for a recoil pad like McMillan

Well, it's for my son to use while he's growing. No freaking way he's getting a McMillan stock to use for a few years then outgrow.

That said, I like the stock. A lot. I'll buy more.
I have 2, and have had a couple more. No complaints.

Will opening up the barrel channel from mountain to sporter contour impact the strength of the stock?

By and chance does someone happen to have a picture of a sporter barrel in the magnum contour stock?

Thanks,
Mike
I've had a few, been happy with them all except an old carbellite, couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough.

Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 03/05/21
So the stock for my tikka came today and I've already put it on.....I put a limbsaver pad on the factory tikka stock and by switching to the BnC medalist my LOP got reduced a good bit.....at least a half inch. The meopta scope and the one piece tally base/ring only offer maybe an eighth of an inch forward shift on the scope.....gonna see how it shoots before making changes.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 03/06/21
I learned a very important lesson with my Bell and Carlson.

In the dark I got off my mule and led her through a tick spot on the trail in the very dim early morning light.

I was leading a pack mule and had my 98 mauser in a B&C stock " Roselvelt style" sticking barrel down stock up almost vertices by the Saddle horn.

I didn't take the rifle out of the scabbard. Looked back, stock was broke clean off at pistol grip!

B&C gave me a new stock! WOW!

When leading a mule through dark thick brush, take your rifle outta the scabbard!

DUH!
I'm ordering one in March. They told me I could order one unpainted, just primed. I plan on painting it myself so that's the plan. Might modify grip angle too.

Is it any less expensive that way? I prefer to do my own recoil pad, bedding, pillars if needed, paint, etc.

For those who have bought the M700 Ti stocks in BDL or ADL, how stiff are the forearms? How much do they weigh when they come with recoil pad and paint?
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 03/06/21
I got two. One on a sporterized Swedish Mauser and one on a 257 Weatherby Vanguard. I like 'em both a lot. Both have that aluminum bedding block setup in them. It was the best thing I ever did for the Swedish Mauser which previously had an injection molded Ram-Line stock on it. If I had another rifle that needed a stock replacement Bell & Carlson would probably be where I looked first.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Is it any less expensive that way? I prefer to do my own recoil pad, bedding, pillars if needed, paint, etc.

For those who have bought the M700 Ti stocks in BDL or ADL, how stiff are the forearms? How much do they weigh when they come with recoil pad and paint?

Same price, they just prime it. I'm modifying barrel channel and maybe the grip angle, so didn't want it painted already. Ordered it yesterday, quoted 2 weeks. Nice people to deal with.
Posted By: Smilner01 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 03/21/21
Are the factory remington mountain rifle with the B&C aramid-fiber reinforced stock the same aluminum bedded stock as on their website?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by Smilner01
Are the factory remington mountain rifle with the B&C aramid-fiber reinforced stock the same aluminum bedded stock as on their website?

I've got two of them, yes they are.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Bell and Carlson stocks? - 03/24/21
Wow things have changed here . I love my Bell and Carlson and it made my A-bolt a much better shooter and heck of a lot more comfortable. Nice Pachmyer pads on the B and C. The only dig on it was that the rear screw from the factory stock was a touch too short for the B and C.

I bought a HS Precision later and sold it. The B and C is much more comfortable, cost less and required less trimming out.
© 24hourcampfire