Home
Picked up an interesting 700 today, and I can't figure out exactly which model it is. I *believe* its a custom shop gun, but not 100% sure. Its a standard 24" barrel in .375 HH, with a rather interesting set of iron sights. The stock is lightweight, with aluminum bedding block and pillar bedding. Overall weight is around 8.4lbs, and I don't think its ever had a scope base mounted. Based on the date code, should be a 2005 gun.

Any ideas on which particular 700 model?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Not a CS gun.
Aftermarket stock/bm.
Nice gun.
I noticed the floorplate looked a little different than a standard 700.

As far as the Custom Shop comment, I was basing it on the 700 history page on the Remington website...375 H&H Mag(1962 – 1970 standard offering, 1971 – Present Custom Shop only, 1996 Classic)
Either way, it’s a danged nice rifle.
CS guns’ barrels weren’t roll stamped like production guns. Yours has the regular roll mark. Stock is either HS or B&C. Bottom metal looks like Sunny Hill.
Makes sense. I wonder if it just started out as a BDL, and the stock/floorplate were changed out at some point. Regardless, I'm not sure its ever been shot much...now I have to decide what I want to do with it. Looks like it would be a great Alaskan bear gun!
This looks like nice rifle with quality aftermarket upgrades. Some factories outsource components like sights. Examples of companies using ERA Recknagel sights: Winchester in big bore express rifles from nineties, Heym, Blaser, Czeska Zbrojovka (550 with battue sights), Savage on 111fc 9,3x62, 8x57JS Druckjagdbuchse with Realtree AP blaze camo stock.....
Interesting, thanks!
So, here's the million dollar question....what would be a reasonable value on the rifle? I'll probably end up trying to trade it for something else I will actually hunt with, but have no idea how to price it.
I would think if you started it at 850 you'd do ok on it
Looks like a B&C stock - what is brand mark on the recoil pad?
No name, other than "Limbsaver"....
Originally Posted by TheKid
CS guns’ barrels weren’t roll stamped like production guns. Yours has the regular roll mark. Stock is either HS or B&C. Bottom metal looks like Sunny Hill.

Was thinking the same thing on the bottom metal - haven't looked at what Sunny Hill BM is going for lately but I'm guessing it's north of $400.

Considering what old-school SS 700's are going for these days (with pot metal BM), I'd put the trade fodder value at $1200-1300ish - maybe even a bit more.
Originally Posted by SKane

Was thinking the same thing on the bottom metal - haven't looked at what Sunny Hill BM is going for lately but I'm guessing it's north of $400.

Considering what old-school SS 700's are going for these days (with pot metal BM), I'd put the trade fodder value at $1200-1300ish - maybe even a bit more.

You’re right there. Sunny Hill is closer to 500 these days.

That’s a slick 375. Well put together.
Whatever it is, it’s a dandy. Nice snag..
Thanks for all the information, I'll try and get some better pics of the bottom metal.
wow, didn't know the bottom metal was so valuable. guess my 850 is pretty low
Doesnt look like Sunny Hill...Too thick through the
bow and the fit of bow release lever certainly ain't
custom grade.

SH seem to have a wide forward and then narrower
section to the rear (of the slot) where the trigger protrudes.

I'd say PTG alloy unit.
Originally Posted by Starman
Doesnt look like Sunny Hill...Too thick through the
bow and the fit of bow release lever certainly ain't
custom grade.

SH seem to have a wide forward and then narrower
section to the rear (of the slot) where the trigger protrudes.

I'd say PTG alloy unit.

I would agree.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/rem...ction-flush-mount-pocketed-inlet-bm.html
Yeah, looks more like a PTG set.
Here are a few pics of the floorplate..

The metal finish on the barreled action looks like the XCR model.
I would agree that the bottom metal is likely PT&G. The sights are factory Remington items, later production with a one piece front with the big white bead. I don’t think it’s an XCR, the were E nickel or something and had a gold tint to them, this one appears to be plain blasted SS to my eye.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Either way, it’s a danged nice rifle.

Agreed . That is real nice
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
wow, didn't know the bottom metal was so valuable. guess my 850 is pretty low

Not low but comical
nice
I've almost convinced myself to keep the rifle...but reality keeps reminding me that I have zero need for a .375 HH Mag! wink
I'm not sure about the rest of the rifle but the sights are just Rem factory irons.
I would agree that the bottom metal is likely PT&G. The sights are factory Remington items, later production with a one piece front with the big white bead. I don’t think it’s an XCR, the were E nickel or something and had a gold tint to them, this one appears to be plain blasted SS to my eye.

Remington probably gets those sights from Williams. There is nothing wrong with enhancements on rifle like this, because people are buying for hunting/use not to collect, therefore, quality components should realize hinger price than factory standard.
Originally Posted by Jason280
I've almost convinced myself to keep the rifle...but reality keeps reminding me that I have zero need for a .375 HH Mag! wink

I must admit, need has never played into my buying and selling of firearms. I have three .375 H&H rifles and would never part with any of them. Unless you “need” to sell it, I would hang onto it. It’s a nice rifle.
Makes sense. I wonder if it just started out as a BDL, and the stock/floorplate were changed out at some point. Regardless, I'm not sure its ever been shot much...now I have to decide what I want to do with it. Looks like it would be a great Alaskan bear gun!

250TTSX, take it elk hunting. 2800fps and a bullet w/BC of .4 isn't bad at all.
I noticed the floorplate looked a little different than a standard 700.

Nice FP ...... Sights are not reg. 700 factory sights either but the rear does look similar.

Nice rifle overall. I'd cut it back to 22", get it bedded and top it with a nice low powered scope. 1.5-5x20 or similar.

I’ll buy it right now if you are selling.
I would re-chamber to 375 Weatherby, then you could use 260gr Accubonds to smash deer way out to 500 or so, has the same trajectory as 180gr out of a 30-06.

Nice rifle, and as I use PT&G for all of my builds on Rem 700’s, my bet is it being one of theirs.
Stock looks like a HS Precision Sporter to me.

Cheers.
Well don't shoot it just keep your less than informed opinions about 375's and move along now.it's a nice looking outfit whether you need it or not. WTF does need have to do with it again?
© 24hourcampfire