Home
Between the 2 which would be your preference and why? I hope to get one in .284 and they are reported to be within .75 Ibs. of each other and $200
Posted By: gene270 Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/07/21
i think i am safe to say nobody has built more 284 winchesters than Melvin and that would be my answer
i think you will be getting a much better stock to
Posted By: super T Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/07/21
NULA is never a wrong answer.
Posted By: jdunham Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/07/21
I like Coopers and have a few, but for a rifle in that category the NULA is the easy pick. Especially in .284 like Gene said.
Posted By: SKane Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/07/21
NULA. And by a bigly margin.
I just placed an order for a nula 284. Seemed like a no brainer. Had to sell off a couple nice rifles to pay for it but should be worth it.
Yeah that is what I did too. Was hoping to sell one more to make it easier, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen.
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
I just placed an order for a nula 284. Seemed like a no brainer. Had to sell off a couple nice rifles to pay for it but should be worth it.

What length barrel did you order?
Posted By: Starman Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/07/21
If not set on .284win and like tri-lug,
Wby Backcountry .280 AI ? can pick
them up for around $2k ...
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

22” barrel
Originally Posted by Starman
If not set on .284win and like tri-lug,
Wby Backcountry .280 AI ? can pick
them up for around $2k ...

I have so much .284 brass and reloading dies I figure to stay that route rather than get a new caliber. But, thanks for the advice.

22” barrel

Thanks
I have a ULA in 284 and a Model 92 Cooper Backcountry in 257 Weatherby. While the Cooper is a very nice rifle and shoots lights out I am partial to Melvin's rifles. Call him and order one up. You will not regret it. Have him build your new best friend.
I wanted a lightweight short action that I could take elk hunting on backpacking trips in the mountains. That’s why I settled on a 284. I also picked up a colt 7 mag. Not sure what Im going to do with it yet. I had thought I’d turn it into a 257 weatherby but maybe I’ll leave it as a 7 mag.
The 284 NULA shines in the application you are talking about. Mountain hunting, mountain game is exactly what I have always used mine for. I know for some the 284 is a dinosaur and the 7 08 is its successor but I've shot one since I was a kid when they first came out in the 88 and 100 and I'm kinda nostalgic I guess.
What fishermen0105 and sheephunter2 said about mtn hunting for elk is why I am thinking of one. I had to quit 2 elk hunts due to chronic back problems that popped up this year. Looking for a lightweight option that is still capable of all the game I plan to hunt.
Originally Posted by sheephunter2
I have a ULA in 284 and a Model 92 Cooper Backcountry in 257 Weatherby. While the Cooper is a very nice rifle and shoots lights out I am partial to Melvin's rifles. Call him and order one up. You will not regret it. Have him build your new best friend.

What is it you like about the NULA over the Cooper?
I ordered a 284 the same day fisherman did. Same specs and all.
Posted By: lotech Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/08/21
The only Cooper's I have (6mm Rem. and .270 Win.) are not lightweights but far from uncomfortable even in the mountains. My two NULAs (7x61 and a .308) fully equipped are both a good deal lighter than the Coopers. I've had the Coopers and NULAs a good while and they all shoot well, in fact the 7x61 is on its third barrel. If the new lightweight Cooper shoot as well as their standard weight rifles, I'd strongly consider one.I'm not fond of the Cooper detachable magazine, but that's a very minor point. I don't know what either rifle costs now, but would assume the NULA remains the more expensive of the two.
Both great rifles the ULA just feels better in my hands. I think the Cooper weighs 3/4 to a pound more. Melvin's stocks fit me better. Once you get used to the blind magazine it is no big deal. 26" barrel on the 257 Roy, 22" on the 284. I'm not a fan of the detachable mag either. Plus you get to talk to Melvin whenever you need to. He answers the phone.
I have a Barret Fieldcraft 6.5x55 with a 24" barrel. I really like the way it fits me and balances. How does the NULA compare to those?
I have a Barret Fieldcraft 6.5x55 with a 24" barrel. I really like the way it fits me and balances. How does the NULA compare to those?

I’ve read they are very, very similar
I have a Barrett 24" 6.5 Creed. I think the LOP on the Barrett is maybe 14" and Melvin's standard LOP may be 13 1/2. I notice it but can get used to it on the Barrett which is after all Melvin's design by way of Barrett's acquisition of Forbes rifle patents IIRC. Barrett makes their own actions, stocks, barrels, I believe. They are damn fine rifles.
Posted By: gene270 Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/09/21
for you guys that just ordered a nula what was the wait time on delivery
Originally Posted by gene270
for you guys that just ordered a nula what was the wait time on delivery

Yes
Posted By: ejo Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/09/21
Both are probably great rifles but I would go Nula with a #2 barrel at 22".
Posted By: ejo Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 02/09/21
There is an m20 7-08 in the classifieds right now with no wait. I just got a 7-08 m20 last summer and really like the rifle.
I have a Barrett 24" 6.5 Creed. I think the LOP on the Barrett is maybe 14" and Melvin's standard LOP may be 13 1/2. I notice it but can get used to it on the Barrett which is after all Melvin's design by way of Barrett's acquisition of Forbes rifle patents IIRC. Barrett makes their own actions, stocks, barrels, I believe. They are damn fine rifles.

I think Barrett’s are 13 3/4”... just about right for me.
AG composites made the fieldcraft stocks I believe
I finally got around to ordering a nula 6.8spc in October and it should be done by the end of April. In October I took a model 32 up in 416 rem that was in bad shape that I got off GunBroker and had it redone in 375h&h and got it back last week. Also took a 308 up to be rebarrel to 284 win when I picked up the 375h&h and was told end of April most likely. Melvin has an excellent crew, gloria makes and paints stocks, richard does the stock forming/bedding/ fit and finish on stocks and makes stocks and Zach is an outstanding machinist. They do a fantastic job and customer service is second to none. I had ordered a cooper backcountry several years ago and after 12 months I asked about it and they said another 8 months, I asked for my money back and they said no, but the Cooper dealer I ordered from refunded my money and I went and bought a nula

I think Barrett’s are 13 3/4”... just about right for me.

Yep.

I thought I read on another thread McGowan made the fieldcraft barrels ... 😉
Just measured my Barret LOP and it is 14".
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
I finally got around to ordering a nula 6.8spc in October and it should be done by the end of April. In October I took a model 32 up in 416 rem that was in bad shape that I got off GunBroker and had it redone in 375h&h and got it back last week. Also took a 308 up to be rebarrel to 284 win when I picked up the 375h&h and was told end of April most likely. Melvin has an excellent crew, gloria makes and paints stocks, richard does the stock forming/bedding/ fit and finish on stocks and makes stocks and Zach is an outstanding machinist. They do a fantastic job and customer service is second to none. I had ordered a cooper backcountry several years ago and after 12 months I asked about it and they said another 8 months, I asked for my money back and they said no, but the Cooper dealer I ordered from refunded my money and I went and bought a nula

It's nice to hear things are going well for Melvin and those wait times aren't too bad.
Rock Creek on Fieldcraft barrels.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 03/09/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown

I’ve read they are very, very similar

I have a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creed (currently being re-barreled to 6.5 x .284) and a NULA Model 20 short in .20 Titan. My .02 worth: the Barrett grip is slightly more vertical than the NULA and the Barrett stock is about 3 ounces heavier. The grip on both is slightly fatter than I prefer. For comparison, I really like the grip on the Manners ultra-light Classic, which is more slender and more open. The Barrett action is .020" larger in diameter than the NULA, but is scalloped and weighs about an ounce less than my Model 20 short. The Barrett bolt is lightly fluted and the bolt and action are stainless. You can get the NULA in a multitude of chambers and the Fieldcrafts are getting scarce. Sure do like the Barrett's price though.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by ilikeguns

It's nice to hear things are going well for Melvin and those wait times aren't too bad.

Out of curiosity I contacted Cooper about the wait time for one of their Backcountry rifles in .284 Win. They said 12+ months.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Rock Creek on Fieldcraft barrels.

Source?
Posted By: Aviator Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 03/10/21
A source at Barrett told me that the barrels on the Fieldcraft were made by Green Mountain.
Posted By: gene270 Re: NULA-vs-Cooper Backcountry - 03/10/21
whoever made them they are fine barrels as accurate as any custom barrel i have owned
Well I called NULA and talked to Melvin today. The conversation didn't fill me with confidence. He didn't seem interested in answering my questions, but did say he would call me to answer any questions he had about the order form once he got the order form with the $1000 dollar deposit. He was not helpful to say the least.

He is currently running ~11 months delivery time.
Anyone know if he'll do the M24 in 280 AI?
Originally Posted by bwinters

Yes & yes.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by bwinters

Yes & yes.

Thanks!
Well I called NULA and talked to Melvin today. The conversation didn't fill me with confidence. He didn't seem interested in answering my questions, but did say he would call me to answer any questions he had about the order form once he got the order form with the $1000 dollar deposit. He was not helpful to say the least.

He is currently running ~11 months delivery time.

He called to tell me my 284 is in paint this week. He’s only had my order since January. Seems to be running well ahead of the 6 months I was quoted. All depends on what you order and availability of barrels I think, but I’m sure people with more experience can chime in here.
I would buy the Cooper if you want a perfect made rifle.

Every NULA I've ever bought needed warranty work. Same with a buddy of mine.

I realize the cult on this website with NULA's, but there are much better options to choose.
© 24hourcampfire