Home
Posted By: WITUfan All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
I know there have been countless threads on here regarding what folks would get if they were looking for one do it all rifle. I sort of did the one rifle thing for years out of necessity (poverty) and got along nicely with a Ruger Mk II in .30/06. I love that rifle, still use it, and it will be my last rifle to leave if I have to part with some. My question, however, is what to buy for my son. He has for several seasons shot a Winchester FW Classic in .257 Roberts and has had good success on whitetails. We are hoping to add pronghorn this fall. He enjoys hunting but is simply not as into rifles like I am (yes, I bought the Roberts because it is pretty and I think it is cool - he never gives that a thought). Unless his interests change, he will probably be the guy who goes out and buys a box or two of factory ammo, checks zero and goes hunting. He is a teenager now and big enough that I don’t worry about recoil and am thinking it is time to buy him a “bigger” rifle. I am thinking about his “do it all” rifle. Sure, he will have access to stuff in my safe, but a man needs his own rifle(s).

I am very partial to my old Ruger and have thought about finding him one of those. I also have considered another Winchester FW so he will basically have a set. Sometimes I think the smarter choice would be something stainless and synthetic. I have pretty much decided .30/06 is the way to go. I know there are plenty of great all around cartridges, but for a multi-purpose big game rifle that is likely to see lots of factory ammo, I think the old /06 is hard to beat.

So, I have plenty of time on this. I am thinking this rifle will be for Christmas next year and I plan to take my time looking. I am, however, trying to think this through before I start looking. I am curious what the folks on The Fire think. Ruger, Winchester, wood, synthetic . . . what would you be looking for?
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
The quickest way to get someone into shooting is by not parking them behind something like a 30'06... I suffered a 30'06 for years and finally realized it brought nothing to the table. Kicks the crap out of you for no reason. A lot more fun shooting medium cartridges, especially for deer. My go to gun now is a 6.5×55, and bought my son a 6.5 Creed. Flame away...
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Depends what he will be hunting.

Pretty hard to beat that Roberts.

If he doesn't shoot a lot the '06 may prove to be a bit much.

Posted By: WITUfan Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
I am sure he will continue to shoot the .257 Roberts. It is a wonderful round. I am just planning to pair it with a bigger cartridge so he is better prepared for elk or bear or whatever other opportunities come along.
Posted By: Rancocas Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
If by "all around" you mean a big game rifle capable of taking any North American big game, then, I agree with either a .30-06 or a .308. Either one is certainly capable of killing the large brown bears, but I would want something much more powerful if a grissly or Kodiak bear was charging at me. For anything else, though, from whitetails to moose either of those is my choice.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Have you asked him if he wants another rifle? Maybe he’s good with what he has and might want say, a shotgun, or a dedicated varmint or target rifle. Might not be a bad idea to feel him out a bit on what HE wants to do.
Posted By: Nashville Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
I’m a fan of stainless, synthetics.

I think .30-06 would be perfect for a one and done rifle. The factory ammo selection alone covers everything from super light reduced loads for kids all the way up to heavies. He’ll be able to find ammo anywhere.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Ask him...you might be surprised. I have three sons..I asked before I bought..Oldest wanted a 7x57! never would have thought that..second wanted an 06, and the third wanted me to spruce up a 1909, 7.65 Argi! He still hunts and loads for it. We call it "The Mauser"

Ask..could save some headaches!
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
For someone who isn't a reloader/enthusiast, The time tested 270, 30-06, or 308 still make a lot of sense.

The 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't have the history, but seems like a sensible all-arounder too.
Posted By: AK375DGR Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Ok,,,,,, what Nashville say's above is SPOT-ON,,,, and if you get a chance, read the Book, -[One Man-One Rifle-One Land]-, and here is my 1985 06 Mtn. Rifle... grin

Attached picture LJ's Remington M700 30-06 Mtn. Rifle (01).jpg
Attached picture LJ's Remington M700 30-06 Mtn. Rifle (3).JPG
Posted By: Rossimp Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Factory ammo in large supply would be 243 WCF (every bit as good as the Roberts (which in not common), 6.5 Creedmoor, 270 WCF, 308 WCF and 30-06 Springfield.

Out of all I’d go for 270 WCF or 308 WCF both good for 95% of worlds game animals and both easy to shoot well with a little practice. Loaded ammo found around the globe.
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
7mm/08 would be my recommendation unless something with sharp teeth and claws is on the menu.
Light recoil, flat shooting, effective on most game.
Posted By: hookeye Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
I aint a big guy, and was pretty short n scrawny as a kid.
150s in a .30-06 if it has a decent recoil pad aint nuthing to fuggup ones shooting.

Used to be shotgun for deer state, slug guns were pretty brutal and some way worse than others.
Im sure many shooters were ruined before transitioning to rifles.

But spending time on ranges, I think most folks suck at shooting no matter what they run.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
My one and only sporter-weight boltgun is a 30-06, with a 3-9x40 scope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: efw Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Yeah I’d ask also.

I built my son a .257 Rob on a Turkish Mauser action as his first rifle and he likes that a lot with no interest in more rifle right now.

If he ever hunts anything bigger he knows he is welcome to one of my rifles and who knows; maybe he’ll want to buy one for himself?

We all value stuff we’ve earned more than what’s given freely. As much as I’ve been tempted to go the route you’re considering with my son I find it helpful to remember that.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
243 Fieldcraft
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
First off, good on you for raising a son who hunts with you. My kids are just babies, but I daydream quite a bit about getting them out in the field... so even having him shoot a couple times a year and then just hunting is a great accomplishment.

As others have said, ask him if he prefers a specific cartridge. He might surprise you and be more interested in rifles than you think. That said, it seems like the .257 is plenty for deer, antelope, hogs, etc. I know people who hunt black bears with equally or less powerful cartridges. So you've already got him covered for that stuff (which might make needing one rifle that can do everything unnecessary?). Seems like something of the .284 variety would be a good choice. You could pretty much kill any of the same game as an 06, with less recoil, but with enough of a difference in "umpf" to consider it a clear step up from the 257. 708 is more than just a kid's cartridge if you want mainstream, 280 or 7x57 if you want to bridge mainstream and rifle nut territory, or 7x64br if you want something very unique but still utilitarian. You aren't going to find the Brenneke in a M70 FWT, but there are some very cool older Mauser clones out there just begging to be refinished... and that kind of father/son project might be what finally pulls him into the looney realm with you?
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Have you asked him if he wants another rifle? Maybe he’s good with what he has and might want say, a shotgun, or a dedicated varmint or target rifle. Might not be a bad idea to feel him out a bit on what HE wants to do.

^^^^ This ^^^^^
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
A nice 7x57 featherweight would pair nicely with the 257 as would a 270,280 or 30-06.
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
7mm/08 would be my recommendation unless something with sharp teeth and claws is on the menu.

This^^
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21

Its Pappy for the win. This is really good advice.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by Nashville
I’m a fan of stainless, synthetics.

I think .30-06 would be perfect for a one and done rifle. The factory ammo selection alone covers everything from super light reduced loads for kids all the way up to heavies. He’ll be able to find ammo anywhere.

I agree. When I read the op, I kept thinking a rifle like my boat paddle stocked stainless Ruger m77 mkII 30-06 would be just the ticket. 30-06 level of recoil has never bothered me and I've been shooting one since I was 12. I guess for some its a little too much, but ive always seen it as pretty tame. Not much beats it as a good all arounder for NA hunting.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by hookeye
150s in a .30-06 if it has a decent recoil pad aint nuthing to fuggup ones shooting.

Used to be shotgun for deer state, slug guns were pretty brutal and some way worse than others.

But spending time on ranges, I think most folks suck at shooting no matter what they run.

Amen. Those guys always looking to blame their pizz poor shooting on something too. Its funny
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
In a lighter weight rifle a 30/06 can be a little snappish for a young or inexperienced shooter.
Also a 270 win can as well but it's all relative a seasoned shooter with a 458 win. and 500 gr loads at a bench is going to say ouch after a few rounds. I prefer something bigger for moose and brown bear but a 7mm08 will work with the right bullets in the right place will and does work as long as everything goes smoothly.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Pretty much any 24, 25, 26, or 27 caliber will work fine.
Posted By: jwall Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by WITUfan

Sometimes I think the smarter choice would be something stainless and synthetic. I have pretty much decided .30/06 is the way to go. I know there are plenty of great all around cartridges, but for a multi-purpose big game rifle that is likely to see lots of factory ammo, I think the old /06 is hard to beat.

These are 2 of my Fav rifles to hunt because of light weight and balance.
I have posted plenty of pix with these and dead deer.

Right -- T 3 Lite SS 270 W with Tikka Rings

Left -- T 3X Lite SS 7 RM with Warne bases.

Recoil isn't noticeable to me. Maybe the Tikka composite stock. An 06 wouldn't punish anyone ESP with factory ammo.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by hookeye

Amen. Those guys always looking to blame their pizz poor shooting on something too. Its funny

I ain't the only one knows or says this. Stock design and fit has A LOT to do with perceived recoil.

Jerry
Posted By: Sherwood Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
My Uncle Karl lived near Spearfish, South Dakota for most of his adult life. Worked as an electrician. His sole rifle was a lever action in 300 Savage fitted with a 4X Redfield scope. Uncle Karl hunted mulies, whitetails, and pronghorn antelope in South Dakota but headed west 40 miles to hunt elk in Wyoming. He introduced me to elk hunting within the Bear Lodge Mts. No animal was safe when he touched off his 300 aiming for the chest organs. What is my point? 300 Savage has considerably less recoil than 30-06 yet hits hard within reasonable distances. A modern hunter can learn from my Uncle Karl. Find your animal with quality binoculars and make a plan to stalk within 200 yards or less. This is a strategy that really works quite well, indeed.

Sherwood
Posted By: okie john Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Unless his interests change, he will probably be the guy who goes out and buys a box or two of factory ammo, checks zero and goes hunting.

This is critical information. If you decide not to ask him, then get something that's easy to feed off of the shelf in a big-box store. I'd say 30-06, but I chronographed a ton of 30-06 ammo in the few years before the pandemic and it's a lot closer to the 308 than the ammo makers would have you believe.

That said, 308, 30-06, and 270 would be my choices. There are still a few Remington 700 Package rifles available in those calibers and they're quite the bargain. Just replace the scope and mounts and you're good to go.

Okie John
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The quickest way to get someone into shooting is by not parking them behind something like a 30'06... I suffered a 30'06 for years and finally realized it brought nothing to the table. Kicks the crap out of you for no reason. A lot more fun shooting medium cartridges, especially for deer. My go to gun now is a 6.5×55, and bought my son a 6.5 Creed. Flame away...

This ^^ for exactly the same reasons,,,,

If I were buying today for my two son's, it would be a matching pair of 6.5 CM's.
A 7mm-08 would be my second choice.

The OP says that his son isn't really a gun nut.... he can buy great ammo cheap, for the CM and he'll enjoy shooting it.... my $.02
Posted By: drover Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/14/21

Out of the three pages of replies this is the best one. You are forecasting buying him a rifle for something that you, or he, may never do. If what he is using works for him then don't change what's not broke just because "you think" he may need something different. Something that he likes and is comfortable with more than makes up for the extra power of the 30-06.

Oh by the way - there are a lot of elk killed with the 243 around my part of the country, and this is elk country, so when it comes to elk or bear what the 243 does the 257 will do just as well.

drover
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
A lot of the old timers I hunted with as a youngster killed a lot of elk with 6mm Remington and 257 Roberts, including my father. A 100gr (and certainly heavier ones would work more better) always required one shot to kill elk. But then, these guys weren't just flinging lead. They hunted, then they shot the vitals of the elk. I'd carry a Bob as an all-arounder. I've carried a 243 and 257 for elk plenty of times. I haven't stacked up the kills with those cartridges that the old timers I hunted with did though.

Yeah, bigger works too, but a good 25 cal bullet in the right spot is going to kill just as well as a 378 WBY with a good bullet in the right spot. Once you figure that out, you realize it ain't the cartridge that does the killing; it's the hunter.
Posted By: sidepass Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Pretty much any 24, 25, 26, or 27 caliber will work fine.

Kinda what I was thnking.
Posted By: Biebs Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Perhaps he's like a guy I know. He's a scruffy-looking man but is probably the best hunter I've ever known. He stalks everything from the ground, has the patience of Job, and is rarely skunked. He has absolutely NO INTEREST in what kind of gun he has. Last time I saw him, he had a beat up old Remington 870 pump gun with duct tape holding the stock on and no bluing left, and that was in rifle country. His interest is the hunt itself, and if he can't stalk within slug range, he hasn't done his job. Interesting guy.
Posted By: louiethedrifter Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
308 Winchester and all it’s siblings. I wish I had a Remington 700 BDL in 243 Winchester, 260 , 7-08 and 358 win. Not sure they made a BDL in 358.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Yeah I think if your boy wants a new rifle a good ol 30-06 (along with several other cartridges) would be impossible to beat for an all-around rifle cartridge. Im not into if you hit an Elk/Moose in the right place with blah blah little bullet it will do the job, there are too many capable cartridges to go half ass...A Tikka T3x Superlite 30-06 would be mighty hard to beat for the money..Good luck....Hb
Posted By: ryoushi Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Just push the Easy Button-6.5 Creed or 308 Win, Ruger American, Kimber Hunter, Tikka or Mauser 12 and 4x Leupold for glass
Posted By: geedubya Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed

This^^

ya!

GWB
Posted By: jwall Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah I think if your boy wants a new rifle a good ol 30-06 (along with several other cartridges) would be impossible to beat for an all-around rifle cartridge. Im not into, “if you hit an Elk/Moose in the right place with blah blah little bullet it will do the job,”. there are too many capable cartridges to go half ass...A Tikka T3x Superlite 30-06 would be mighty hard to beat for the money..Good luck....Hb

WELL said ! !

Jerry
Posted By: burrinho Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Just push the Easy Button-6.5 Creed or 308 Win, Ruger American, Kimber Hunter, Tikka or Mauser 12 and 4x Leupold for glass

That’s the way. I have four boys. I start them on a encore .223 and .243. The. two older ones (16 & 18) have personal rifles one a 6.5CM, the other a .308. Easy to shoot, easy to feed when ammo is normally available. Later I’ll let them have their pick of what’s in the safe for a second gun.

Although the OP combo of a .257 bob, and a 30-06 wouldn’t be bad. At least the kid didn’t start out getting his teeth rattled with the -06.

Back to the question of one all purpose rifle. A stainless synthetic bolt gun in .308 no question.
Posted By: 308ld Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Depends what he will be hunting.

Pretty hard to beat that Roberts.

If he doesn't shoot a lot the '06 may prove to be a bit much.

Agree, no flies on the 257 Roberts......

Or a synthetic stainless 308...

Posted By: mitchellmountain Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Since he doesn’t seem to be into rifles like the rest of us loonies, 30-06 is the way to go. Never need another cartridge in North America no matter the game or hunt he finds himself on in the future. Also ammo will be much easier to find with a variety of options from lighter deer loads up to heavy elk loads. Stainless synthetic due to ease of maintenance, in case he doesn’t always clean it when he gets home right away. Tikka would be my pick, best shooting factory rifles I’ve ever shot, seem to like any load you use in them.
I just bought myself a kimber hunter in 30-06 as my do it all backcountry rifle, that lightweight setup can be a bit tricky to shoot. The tikka is also on the lighter side but I have never had a problem getting accuracy out of them.
MM
Posted By: JamesJr Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Any "all purpose" rifle/cartridge is going to depend on what you intend to use it for, or maybe what it might be called upon to shoot. Here where I live, a whitetail deer is the biggest animal I'll need to shoot, unless global warming drives the grizzly bears into my area, which in that case would dictate a much larger caliber rifle.

I look at 243 as being the best all purpose cartridge here, and one could even say that an AR in 223 might be even better suited as an "all purpose" rifle. An AR could be used for hunting and anything else you might need a rifle for. Though I'm a huge fan of bolt guns, a good dependable AR in 223 would be my first choice for a one rifle that would cover all my needs..................if it ever came to that.
Posted By: Northman Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
I would get him a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 308.
Maybe get a McMillan stock if you feel generous.
It will last him a lifetime, handle any weather and climate.
If he starts loving rifles, as well as hunting, he will probably upgrade to Walnut and Blued steel.

Explain him this is a stupid simple gun.
Its made better then 95% of all new American rifles.
Its field strippable and the trigger will handle dust and dirt better then nearly anything.

Tikka looked at the Sako TRG-22 sniper rifle, made to function in all out winter warfare against Russia.
Shaved of a few lbs and gave it a single stage trigger..

And Taaadaaa... a Hunting Rifle.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
He has a perfect all around hunting rifle right now. Ammo is available for it too. I'd consider getting more, because once it's gone, it will be a while before any rolls off the lines. If it doesn't have a great scope, an upgrade there could be nice. If you are planning on buying him a new rifle, you need to plan the ammo out too. It will remain scarce through the next year.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
He has a perfect all around hunting rifle right now. Ammo is available for it too. I'd consider getting more, because once it's gone, it will be a while before any rolls off the lines. If it doesn't have a great scope, an upgrade there could be nice. If you are planning on buying him a new rifle, you need to plan the ammo out too. It will remain scarce through the next year.

Agree. No need for light 06 bullets if he's got a 257. (This was why I asked earlier if he really needs an "all around" rifle or just one for sruff elk sized and up.) I'd stockpile components and then he's set for decades... regardless of whether he gets a new gun or not.
Posted By: Joe Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
I know there have been countless threads on here regarding what folks would get if they were looking for one do it all rifle. I sort of did the one rifle thing for years out of necessity (poverty) and got along nicely with a Ruger Mk II in .30/06. I love that rifle, still use it, and it will be my last rifle to leave if I have to part with some. My question, however, is what to buy for my son. He has for several seasons shot a Winchester FW Classic in .257 Roberts and has had good success on whitetails. We are hoping to add pronghorn this fall. He enjoys hunting but is simply not as into rifles like I am (yes, I bought the Roberts because it is pretty and I think it is cool - he never gives that a thought). Unless his interests change, he will probably be the guy who goes out and buys a box or two of factory ammo, checks zero and goes hunting. He is a teenager now and big enough that I don’t worry about recoil and am thinking it is time to buy him a “bigger” rifle. I am thinking about his “do it all” rifle. Sure, he will have access to stuff in my safe, but a man needs his own rifle(s).

I am very partial to my old Ruger and have thought about finding him one of those. I also have considered another Winchester FW so he will basically have a set. Sometimes I think the smarter choice would be something stainless and synthetic. I have pretty much decided .30/06 is the way to go. I know there are plenty of great all around cartridges, but for a multi-purpose big game rifle that is likely to see lots of factory ammo, I think the old /06 is hard to beat.

So, I have plenty of time on this. I am thinking this rifle will be for Christmas next year and I plan to take my time looking. I am, however, trying to think this through before I start looking. I am curious what the folks on The Fire think. Ruger, Winchester, wood, synthetic . . . what would you be looking for?

Sound wisdom WITUfan. My choice is Winchester but, it's your money so your choice.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
I only read a coupls pages but the first post from the OP seem's to me say's it all. Your trying to push him into something he doesn't seem overly excited about! I strongly suspect anything he might want to hunt can be well handled by his 250-3000! Why would he need anymore? If he actually wanted something different he could buy it I'd think. If he can't afford to buy it or simply doesn't want to, it will add nothing new to the deal for him. Let him alone. Who knows maybe one day he'll come ask you the question you asked here, maybe he won' t too!
Posted By: tzone Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Get him one like yours. a Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 would be tough to top if a guy had only 1 rifle. Hell, even a .270. shocked
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
For someone who isn't a reloader/enthusiast, The time tested 270, 30-06, or 308 still make a lot of sense.

The 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't have the history, but seems like a sensible all-arounder too.

This seems like good advice to me.
Posted By: super T Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
I killed my first deer when I was 12 years old with a Win.94 in 30.30. It was a family rifle. I hated the 30-30 because of its limited range. Any deer beyond 200 yards or so was pretty safe. My own first rifle was a Rem.721 in 30.06 with a 4x Weaver. I was 15. Deer at 200 years were in lots of trouble. Loved that rifle. Have used lots of different rifles and calibers since then( I'm 78 now) but none have served me any better than that 30.06.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
If it's going to be an "all purpose" rifle, it need to be able to take large and medium game, but also put down an entire platoon of Antifa thugs in less than ten seconds. .308:

Still the best reply.

It sounds like the kid is quite content with what he's been using. From your description, he seems to have good facility with, and confidence in, the FW Roberts. My take would be to let HIM be the driver of IF, and WHEN to do any change-up.

My own experience is that I was thrilled when my Dad bought me my first rifle when I was 11. And in all the time since, I've discovered that I'd never buy that rifle, or chambering, for myself. I made it work, for a time, but nothing about it felt natural to me. I'll never sell it, but I certainly reach for many others when heading to the field, before that one.

There's nothing wrong with letting your son handle/shoot the other rifles in your collection, & telling him what you like about each, and why. It could be, though, that he already views that FW Roberts as HIS personal sweet spot, and there's not a thing wrong with that. It likely just means that he's more mature & responsible than the vast majority of us 'round here...

And for GOD'S SAKE, don't ever let him get on 24HCF, lest he become aware that that all of his choices in rifles, optics, women, booze, food, and life in-general, are horseschidt. wink

FC
Posted By: efw Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
I’d take a Win FW, Ruger Hawkeye, or Kimber 84M in .308 or .30-06 as an all around rifle for sure.

My good buddy has a .25-06 and posed the same question when he decided he wanted to kill a black bear. I told him I’d never argue with a man who wanted to buy a new rifle but that with a 115- or 120-Gr Nosler Partition that it’s work on black bear or even elk just fine.

He ended up buying a Ruger Hawkeye .308 Win here, but as confident as he is w/ that .25-06 I don’t know it’ll get much use. We’ll see maybe he’ll enjoy the .308 just as much.
Posted By: 16bore Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Let him keep rolling what he’s rolling until it fails to work.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
In this specific instance, I disagree with those who are pushing for something else "small." A fellow with a good shooting .257 Roberts, who is going to get one more rifle, doesn't need to step up to a 6.5, 7-08, or 7x57 (I love them all! There's not a thing wrong with them, but they are just not that big of a step up).
If I was buying for my son (and kind of wanted it to be a surprise, as the suggestions to just ask him are also valid), I think I would look long and hard for a FWT Stainless 30-06 with the composite stock. So he has the identical form-factor and functioning as his current Roberts, and a caliber that will not only fill in for the Roberts if need be, but also cover anything else he is likely to hunt. And, if the deer or pronghorn hunting weather is really nasty, he can leave that really nice Roberts at home and take the stainless/composite '06 that day.

Really no wrong answers, I'm just enjoying thinking it over,
Rex
Posted By: GeoW Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Too many I's and not enough He's. Sounds like you're going to make the kid hunt, with what you want him to hunt with, whether he wants to or not..

Why not let him know there's a rifle of his choice waiting if/when he wants to get serious about hunting?

Then let him get on with his life?

g
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Originally Posted by GeoW
TWhy not let him know there's a rifle of his choice waiting if/when he wants to get serious about hunting?

g

OP explained from the beginning that his son likes to hunt, but just isn't into thinking or caring a lot about what rifle he uses, other than making sure it's sighted in. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with dad getting him a new one, with which son can do with as he pleases.

Seriously, if he's bored with the one cool bolt rifle he owns, I would consider getting him an accurate semi-auto. That might light his fire in becoming more interested in rifles or not. But getting him another bolt gun that won't do anything that the one he already has will do, probably will get a yawn from him. Maybe get him some short-range compact big-bore or handgun cartridge lever action. I personally wouldn't ask him what he wants. Surprise is much of the benefit of getting a good gift.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
I am sure he will continue to shoot the .257 Roberts. It is a wonderful round. I am just planning to pair it with a bigger cartridge so he is better prepared for elk or bear or whatever other opportunities come along.

Nothing wrong with a .257 Roberts for bear or elk. Its not ideal perhaps but it works. In my early teens I inherited some guns from an older relative. I latched on to 3 Win 70s, all pre 64s. One was a .257 Roberts .. my favorite. Another was an '06 .. it worked. The third was a .375 H&H .. which I didn't "need" but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

There are better bullets for the .257 today than I had. Couple years ago I had a Kimber Montana in .257. It didn't shoot good but if it had, it would have been my final / one and only rifle. Loaded with 120 grain partitions and placing them appropriate it will kill the [bleep] out of any elk that walks. Or any black bear.

So I'm not sure you truly need to buy him something else based on capability. The one thing I might consider is more flexibility of ammo availability in these times of ammo shortage. That counts against the '06, not for it. The common stuff sells out first, the weird [bleep] is the last to go. Last saturday I went for a mosey around town hitting my regular reloading component sources. There was no powder, no primers, no brass. For bullets, there were some 6mms, more .25s, some .277 and a very few 7mms. No .22, 6.5, or .30 at all. Zero.

One approach might be to focus on gathering components to load the things you've already got rather than spreading out buying new rifle calibers on the off chance what you'll find someday works with them but not with what you've got now. That's the approach I'm taking for now.

Tom
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
I would not do anything until there is some indication from him that HE wants another rifle. If hunting is his thing and if he develops an interest in rifles, he will let you know what he wants and when he wants it. Then, you can guide him in HIS decision. Until then, save your money. $.02.
Posted By: memtb Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21

For most any teenage boy that “wants” to hunt/shoot.....a 30-06 in no way has too much recoil! My first rifle, bought at age 14, weighed 7 1/4 pounds and had a hard plastic butt plate! I shot that rifle a lot, prior to scoping it after about 6 years of use. If the young man “wants” to....he can! If he doesn’t “want” to......hell even a 6.5 CM will be too much! memtb
Posted By: mwarren Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Bought my son a M70 in 7mm-08 when he was 13. He is 14 and many months now and loves that rifle. He shoots 100 yard sub moa now on rest and off hand at our club. The selection of bullets and factory loads available for the 7mm-08 before this ammo shortage was extensive. He's very confident in the caliber. Shot his first deer that dropped right there last season. I don't think he has interest in going with anything larger and believes that rifle is capable of anything that we would ever hunt for.

He would like to go the opposite direction and recently asked if we could put together a plan to get him a smaller caliber to shoot.
Posted By: Windfall Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Back when I was old enough to buy my first deer rifle, I knew that it just had to be a .30-06 because that is what everybody else that I knew was using. Then as I got older and smarter I realized that a .308 had about 20% less recoil in the same weight rifle and honestly the deer that I shot with either one acted pretty much the same way. I've graduated into using other cartridges and a current favorite is the 7mm-08, but when my son bought a bolt action .308, I couldn't really fault that for a one size fits all.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
Got all my son-in-laws rifles as wedding presents. Two got 30-06, the other wanted and got a 7mm RM.

in spite of its age, it is hard to beat a 30-06 for an all-around big game rifle.
Posted By: hanco Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21
For me, I’d go 338 Win mag. With lighter bullets recoil isn’t bad. A 30-06 would be a great choice too.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/15/21

This. I have a Stevens bolt action .22, a Ruger 10/22 and I have a compact Ruger American in .223. I will start the grand kids off on these rifles and then we will move up to something bigger. I have seen too many times someone as a bad joke hands a beginner something in 12 gauge or 30-06 and they leave the range disgusted. When the time is right we will move up to the M1 Garands and 30-06 bolt actions after we shoot the 7x57 and .308's.

kwg
Posted By: RiverRider Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
I'm a .280 enthusiast, but a 7mm-08 would be hard to beat. Right in the middle of a ton of cartridges that can gitter done.
Posted By: Trystan Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21

Amen!!!
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Seems like if he wants another rifle, a FW in .308 could be a good place. Big enough for anything short of big bears, same action and ergonomics of current rifle, and wide selection of loads available.

Or, him being a hunter rather than a gun nut, perhaps a good shotgun for things a rifle won’t work for. For a hunter, the Remington 870 Magnum is where it’s at. Squirrels to Turkeys, waterfowl, and called coyotes. Slugs for deer in states where his Roberts is verboten. I could take an 870 and kill anything in the lower 48 graveyard dead. If you hunt, it works.

Do you guys hunt birds, or anything but deer and pronghorn? That is pertinent info. Those two, the Roberts is tops for. Upland birds, not so much. He likes to hunt, maybe trying out other types of hunting might be of more value to him. Like upland birds or waterfowl. maybe predator hunting. Just a thought. Seems like a gun is simply a tool to him, the hunt matters more. You like guns. He likes hunting. Maybe give him what he likes, buy yourself what you like. Or, as previously stated, ask him what he wants. Not what caliber new rifle he wants, more like what kind of hunting he wants to do, or what he most would like to do with you. It could be time rather than things, he wants. A hunting trip, or something else. Look to make a memory, not just an heirloom.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Dang, what a complicated thread to answer.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
@OP. Another vote to ask your son. You never know what might interest him.

My son is an AR / 870 / 1911 kinda guy. Has nothing of his own that is wood/blue. However, last year when I mentioned that I was selling rifles to cover medical bills, his first question was "What about the old left handed Mauser?" So... the LH PO Ackley 7x57 became his 29th birthday / E6 promotion present. Along with a copy of the Frank DeHaas book to provide provenance regarding the LH Ackley Mausers. I lucked out. He is PCS'ing to a new assignment and chose not to take it with him. I get to tinker and hunt with it a while longer...
Posted By: Seafire Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
I first gave my son a rifle of mine for his 12th birthday....I told him he could have any rifle he wanted....

he went and asked some of his buddies and came back and told me he wanted a 30/06....

I gave him a choice, him handling what he wanted.. and he picked a Synthetic Stocked Browning A Bolt, first Gen...

Let him shoot factory ammo.. he thought it kicked too much...

I loaded up 30 grains of 4198, and a 125 gr Ballistic Tip..... he loved that...

At 14, I moved him up to the 150 Ballistic Tip, left the powder at 30 grains of 4198....that was when he was 14, and now at 26 he still shoots the same load
and I load either the 150 Ballistic Tips, or the Speer 150 gr FN.... both work... scope on top is an older Tasco 2 x 7 World Class..nothing fancy, but it works..
and that is the part he likes....

The combo is oblivious to rough terrain or bad weather...

I've offered him 243s, 260s, 7/08, 7 x 57... nope he's happy with that 30/06 loaded to a 300 Savage equivalent....

Did the same thing for a friends son, when he turned 12....gave him a Howa 30/06, and loaded it with 30 grains 4198, and a 165 grain Ballistic Tip...

now he is a 30 yr old Iraqi War Vet, and Montana State trooper.. he still hunts with that rifle and that load...

each year, gets his antelope, a deer or two, and an Elk every couple of years or so...

he doesn't want to change a thing....
Posted By: SKane Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Different strokes but I'm firmly in the camp of let-the-lad-choose.
And if I was insistent to choose for him, I'd be darned sure it's a rifle that I like - that way it's guaranteed to see some use. wink
Posted By: SKane Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by GeoW
TWhy not let him know there's a rifle of his choice waiting if/when he wants to get serious about hunting?

g

Seriously, if he's bored with the one cool bolt rifle he owns, I would consider getting him an accurate semi-auto. That might light his fire in becoming more interested in rifles or not. But getting him another bolt gun that won't do anything that the one he already has will do, probably will get a yawn from him. Maybe get him some short-range compact big-bore or handgun cartridge lever action. I personally wouldn't ask him what he wants. Surprise is much of the benefit of getting a good gift.

Thou project too much.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by SKane
Different strokes but I'm firmly in the camp of let-the-lad-choose.
And if I was insistent to choose for him, I'd be darned sure it's a rifle that I like - that way it's guaranteed to see some use. wink

Thou project too much.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21

I'd apply whatever you have in my mind for a budget,to a GOOD 22LR and wouldn't be afeared to buy used Goods Of Repute,to align bang for a buck. Conjoin same,with a scope that will reliably arrange POA/POI intersections and everybody learns something if only by fhuqking "accident". Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy these Drooling Fhuqktards attempts at "sense",as they overlook the obvious and challenge each other in a DUMB Fhuqk Tournament and swing for the fence with crossed-eyes. Their hearts are REALLY in it too! Hint. LAUGHING!

An '06 is simply about the most STUPID notion going. ACTUAL trigger time,connects dots by literal default and them benefits never wane and are applicable to EVERY chambering/projectile. One doesn't get good,by reading about it or wishing it. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

Hint...................
Posted By: WITUfan Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Thanks for the responses. This has given me a few more things to think about. To clarify a few things that I didn’t cover, or maybe didn’t state clearly in my original post. He loves to hunt. We hunt deer, turkey, small game and occasionally waterfowl. I am trying to expose him to lots of different types of outdoor activities and let him decide what he likes. So far, his favorites are deer hunting and fish catching. He doesn’t love the slow fishing day so much!

I will definitely see if he has any preferences before I make a final decision. We have plenty of time to shop. I just want to have something bigger before we go after elk, and I do hope to get him out west after elk at some point. Let me just say here that I know the .257 Roberts will do a lot. I have one myself and love the cartridge. I would shoot the biggest elk that ever lived in the ribs with one and expect a dead elk. However, we don’t get to hunt any big game other than deer very often and I would choose something bigger. That’s just me. I respect those who do it differently. I will say I am surprised to get that advice, this is the place I expect to hear, “Yes, buy a new rifle and you really need two!” LOL!

Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns.

Lastly, I appreciate the comments about recoil. I have been extremely careful in that regard and we have worked up slowly. We started with a .22 then a .222. I even started with 80 grain bullets and a modest load for the Roberts. He killed his first turkey with a 20. Graduated to a 12 when he laid claim to one of mine, but shot 2 3/4” shells. He shoots 3” and 3 1/2” waterfowl and turkey loads as well as rifles other than my .222 and the Roberts now so I’m not worried at this point about ruining him with a .308 or .30/06 or whatever. When we go and shoot a lot, I can load things on the mild side anyway. I already do that for me at times.

Thanks again for the input. There is a lot of experience here.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Asked the same questions for my daughter who is just getting back into hunting after taking a few years off with babies, school, etc.

She had used my .308 but didn't like it much.

We bought a 6.5 Creedmore the Weatherby Women's version built on a Howa action. Camile I think

Fits her perfectly. Recoil is not a issue. I bought her 500 rounds of ammo when she got it and she has burned though 300 or so. Saving brass so I can reload them

Fit is everything. With that recoil is much less of a issue.

Lefty
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Thanks for the responses. This has given me a few more things to think about. To clarify a few things that I didn’t cover, or maybe didn’t state clearly in my original post. He loves to hunt. We hunt deer, turkey, small game and occasionally waterfowl. I am trying to expose him to lots of different types of outdoor activities and let him decide what he likes. So far, his favorites are deer hunting and fish catching. He doesn’t love the slow fishing day so much!

I will definitely see if he has any preferences before I make a final decision. We have plenty of time to shop. I just want to have something bigger before we go after elk, and I do hope to get him out west after elk at some point. Let me just say here that I know the .257 Roberts will do a lot. I have one myself and love the cartridge. I would shoot the biggest elk that ever lived in the ribs with one and expect a dead elk. However, we don’t get to hunt any big game other than deer very often and I would choose something bigger. That’s just me. I respect those who do it differently. I will say I am surprised to get that advice, this is the place I expect to hear, “Yes, buy a new rifle and you really need two!” LOL!

Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns.

Lastly, I appreciate the comments about recoil. I have been extremely careful in that regard and we have worked up slowly. We started with a .22 then a .222. I even started with 80 grain bullets and a modest load for the Roberts. He killed his first turkey with a 20. Graduated to a 12 when he laid claim to one of mine, but shot 2 3/4” shells. He shoots 3” and 3 1/2” waterfowl and turkey loads as well as rifles other than my .222 and the Roberts now so I’m not worried at this point about ruining him with a .308 or .30/06 or whatever. When we go and shoot a lot, I can load things on the mild side anyway. I already do that for me at times.

Thanks again for the input. There is a lot of experience here.

Sounds like you're doing it exactly right. Good on you, dad.
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Asked the same questions for my daughter who is just getting back into hunting after taking a few years off with babies, school, etc.

We bought a 6.5 Creedmore the Weatherby Women's version built on a Howa action. Camile I think

Fits her perfectly. Recoil is not a issue. I bought her 500 rounds of ammo when she got it and she has burned though 300 or so. Saving brass so I can reload them

Lefty

Random question: I've read that the Camille's stock is shaped to fit a woman... but have you shouldered it? Would it also work well for a 11-12 year old boy?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

Lefty

Random question: I've read that the Camille's stock is shaped to fit a woman... but have you shouldered it? Would it also work well for a 11-12 year old boy?

You might want to ask stick..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

Lefty

You might want to ask stick..

No thanks. He isn't my favorite (has been ignore for months), but based on what I've gathered from others posting, what happened with his kid was awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone or make light of it.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
If it's going to be an "all purpose" rifle, it need to be able to take large and medium game, but also put down an entire platoon of Antifa thugs in less than ten seconds. .308:

When is the boating accident?
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

When is the boating accident?

Have to wait for all the ice to thaw.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21

This, in spades .....
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21

Clockwork,

The stock is very slender in the fore arm and grip. It also has a lot of drop. I have to kinda scrunch down to get behind the scope and actuates recoil.

13"LOP. Fits her and my wife.

I would think your son would outgrow it quickly.

Lefty

cloclwork,
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
If you want him to shoot more, buy him a 223 to hunt deer with. If you want him to be a loony buy him a .222. My logic is that after hunting and killing deer with a centerfire 22 for a few years he'll learn to think of the 257 Roberts as his heavy rifle for elk and bear. He'll never want a magnum, he'll be an absolute dead eye crack shot, and you'll save him all the heartache the rest of us went through searching for the Holy Grail big game rifle.

He'll just cleanly murder animals with a mild recoiling lightweight rifle. If we could all be so blessed.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
SCHITfan,

Slooooowwwwwwwww your roll and gather a few fhuqking Facts and simply act/shop in accordance. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You stated: "Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns."

Describe the "good" 22,as in Make/Model,mounting system and Optics. If for no other reason,that it WILL be fhuqking funny! Hint.

One does not get "better" by adding recoil,noise,schit handling,expense,etc and minimal Trigger Time. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Now as Centerfires go,bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy MORE than headstamps. I get it,that you don't get it,because you CAN'T get it,thus the elbow in the ribs to slow your fhuqking roll and gather some fhuqking Facts. Hint.

Proficiency can NOT be purchased and only Trigger Time can/will connect dots. Folks who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,are pissing up alotta ropes and you'd do well to simply take fhuqking notes and apply same. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

It'd be a revelation for both of you,to see/use GOOD Riggin',if only for the FIRST fhuqking time. Hint.

State the budget and dots can be connected ala Silver Platter. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint................
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
[quote=Big Stick]SCHITfan,

Slooooowwwwwwwww your roll and gather a few fhuqking Facts and simply act/shop in accordance. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You stated: "Also, there have been lots of comments about getting him something else. I think that is sound advice but he has those bases covered. He has a good .22 and a good all-purpose shotgun, as well as a couple of other guns."

Describe the "good" 22,as in Make/Model,mounting system and Optics. If for no other reason,that it WILL be fhuqking funny! Hint.

One does not get "better" by adding recoil,noise,schit handling,expense,etc and minimal Trigger Time. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

Now as Centerfires go,bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy MORE than headstamps. I get it,that you don't get it,because you CAN'T get it,thus the elbow in the ribs to slow your fhuqking roll and gather some fhuqking Facts. Hint.

Proficiency can NOT be purchased and only Trigger Time can/will connect dots. Folks who "know" and "do" as "much" as you,are pissing up alotta ropes and you'd do well to simply take fhuqking notes and apply same. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

It'd be a revelation for both of you,to see/use GOOD Riggin',if only for the FIRST fhuqking time. Hint.

State the budget and dots can be connected ala Silver Platter. Hint.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Hint................[/quote
have you hugged your son today?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If you want him to shoot more, buy him a 223 to hunt deer with. If you want him to be a loony buy him a .222. My logic is that after hunting and killing deer with a centerfire 22 for a few years he'll learn to think of the 257 Roberts as his heavy rifle for elk and bear. He'll never want a magnum, he'll be an absolute dead eye crack shot, and you'll save him all the heartache the rest of us went through searching for the Holy Grail big game rifle.

He'll just cleanly murder animals with a mild recoiling lightweight rifle. If we could all be so blessed.

Murder animals? Please just STFU
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Murder animals? Please just STFU

It wasn't murder. Those sons o' bitches had it coming!
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
Originally Posted by okie john
Unless his interests change, he will probably be the guy who goes out and buys a box or two of factory ammo, checks zero and goes hunting.

This is critical information. If you decide not to ask him, then get something that's easy to feed off of the shelf in a big-box store. I'd say 30-06, but I chronographed a ton of 30-06 ammo in the few years before the pandemic and it's a lot closer to the 308 than the ammo makers would have you believe.

That said, 308, 30-06, and 270 would be my choices. There are still a few Remington 700 Package rifles available in those calibers and they're quite the bargain. Just replace the scope and mounts and you're good to go.

Okie John

Okie John is spot on.

Most 30-06 ammo is downloaded due to all the very old rifles chambered for the 30-06 floating around out there. Yes, some of them are actually over 100 years old. So the cartridge companies do not load the 30-06 anywhere near to its potential. A modern action such as a Tikka T3 can take a substantially wamer handload that you simply are not going to find in off the shelf ammo.

I have shot .308 handloads and 30-06 factory ammo and had the .308s actually clock faster velocities. Not a fair comparison, but something to consider if you are going to be using factory ammo. If I was only looking to use factory ammo, I would opt for the .308.

A T3 in .308 would be a top choice. Besides there are tons of factory loads (normally) available, and you can handload for virtually anything on the continent. The .308 is a well proven elk killer. It is very easy to shoot well, and I have yet to see a T3 in .308 that did not drive tacks.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/16/21
I think 7mm-08 is a great all around caliber, especially if you reload. Can tailor it to whatever you want to hunt.
Posted By: gunzo Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/17/21
The Yute might be a hunting Son of a Gun, but not be the least bit interested in the tool, Win, Rem, Rug might be just fine to him as long as it kills. I have several hunting buddies like this.

Or.... conventional socks &/or rifles don't catch his attention. I recently met a young guy like this. McMillans, Classics, etc. meant nothing, he wanted a long range killer with a detachable mag in a chassis type sock.

Talk to the youngster.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by gunzo
The Yute might be a hunting Son of a Gun, but not be the least bit interested in the tool, Win, Rem, Rug might be just fine to him as long as it kills. I have several hunting buddies like this. ....

The Indian or the bow? Several very proficient hunters have already posted on this thread. It matters not what is in their hands. They are going to kill something... If the boy is cut from the same fabric, more power to him...
Posted By: Brad Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/17/21
As others have said, stick to the “standards” available over the counter - 30-06, 308, 270 and (gasp) 6.5 Creedmoor.

If he wants to get fancy later in life that’s up to him, but at least with any the above he’s set for life to hunt anything in NA.

Aside, whenever a guy new to Montana who would like to start hunting asks me what sort of rifle he should get, I tell them to buy a 270.
Posted By: gunzo Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by Orion2000
The Yute might be a hunting Son of a Gun, but not be the least bit interested in the tool, Win, Rem, Rug might be just fine to him as long as it kills. I have several hunting buddies like this. ....

The Indian or the bow? Several very proficient hunters have already posted on this thread. It matters not what is in their hands. They are going to kill something... If the boy is cut from the same fabric, more power to him...

I most certainly didn't mean to imply that the youngster was running afoul by being the way I implied. Many care about the hunt, the tools are just that..

And yes! Absolutely more power to him..
Posted By: pointer Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/17/21
If he's not interested in a new/different rifle, I'd spend the "gun money" on a trip to take him on and put that 257 Roberts to use. I know I think more about what I DID with my Dad than the things we did them with. I'd rather fill photo albums and the memory bank than the gun safe.

If a rifle is to be had, I'd not look further than a 308 or a 270 Win and let him help pick the platform.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/17/21
Maybe a nice lever just to mix things up a little and keep it interesting? But I’d ask first. If so, A stainless and synthetic BLR would be pretty cool and multi purpose. I’d go .308. Or you could wait and see what Ruger does with the Marlins. Just an idea.

Originally Posted by pointer
If he's not interested in a new/different rifle, I'd spend the "gun money" on a trip to take him on and put that 257 Roberts to use. I know I think more about what I DID with my Dad than the things we did them with. I'd rather fill photo albums and the memory bank than the gun safe.

Head south for hogs! Meet up with some 24HCF members, & go perforate some porkers. Excellent hunting, ecologically beneficial, high (or even NO) bag limits, comparatively inexpensive, great eating, and excellent memories. After such a great hunt, the kid may entertain the notion of a different rifle/chambering. Then again, he may confirm his belief that he’s already found, “The One.”

FC
Posted By: pointer Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Originally Posted by pointer

Head south for hogs! Meet up with some 24HCF members, & go perforate some porkers. Excellent hunting, ecologically beneficial, high (or even NO) bag limits, comparatively inexpensive, great eating, and excellent memories. After such a great hunt, the kid may entertain the notion of a different rifle/chambering. Then again, he may confirm his belief that he’s already found, “The One.”

FC
I second this notion! I need to look into that greater myself. Especially if I could time it over Xmas break. I think the boys get a hoot out of it.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I most certainly didn't mean to imply that the youngster was running afoul by being the way I implied. Many care about the hunt, the tools are just that..

And yes! Absolutely more power to him..

No offense taken or implied...
Posted By: lastround Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/21/21

Ok, my two cents worth..........a 7mm-08 properly loaded will suffice for anything that 95% of us will ever hunt. Decent recoil, great accuracy, and will work at any range that the same 95% will ever shoot.
Posted By: OGB Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/21/21
Ok I skipped to the end

I know it might hurt but just pass him your beloved 30-06 when he's ready.

My dad waited too long and I already had my own rifles when he started offering.

Would've loved "cutting me teeth" with one of his rifles.

Good news is, my son got a couple of grampa's guns.

My 2 cents
Posted By: JoeBob Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/21/21
A 30-06 is never a mistake. They don’t recoil much at all and they’ll kill more or less anything on the planet. If a man has to have only one rifle that he might hunt anything anywhere with, that’s the choice. You can get suitable ammunition from Walmart to some back country store in Africa, Australia, or even Europe. It is truly the most widespread cartridge in the world.

Get him started with that. Later he’ll decide if he wants to move into loony status and get more specialized tools for different jobs.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/21/21
OP: did you end up making a decision?
Posted By: WITUfan Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/21/21
My son and I talked about this a couple of days ago. This summer, we are going to spend some time looking over some rifles and see if anything especially appeals to him. Most of our extra time this spring will be taken up with sports, turkeys, and wishing. He really doesn’t care about cartridge, but ultimately I’ll leave that up to him as well. He understands the logic of readily available (in normal times) factory ammo so we are going to focus on .308, .270, .30/06, etc.

Thanks for the input.
Its just a good decision to go 308 win 30-06 or 270win. Most my life ive used a 308 with excellent results and standard cup core 180gr bullets. Predictable results. When i was young a few times i used a 30-06 but it got sold off for some reason so back to the 308 it was.

Today i have a 30-06 again and want to get to know it and i picked up a 270 win for the first time and am excited to use it and see how it performs and if it has any lighter recoil or any desirable characteristics. Still my everyday driver if you will is my 308 win Ruger scout rifle. Its my beater, but any of these three old established cartridges are a smart move. Now that i have the three theres nothing else i need. They do it all.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Big Stick

One does not get "better" by adding recoil,noise,schit handling,expense,etc and minimal Trigger Time. Read that again. Now one more time.

Gives me an idea to mull, Maybe I should get my grandson a .22 with a silencer and night vision scope so he and his buddies could shoot rats at the dump at night, and people couldn't hear and call the cops.
That would give them lots of trigger time and they don't have very many places to just loiter or hang out.
Posted By: Bay_Dog Re: All Purpose Rifle - 02/22/21
I’d be looking at a Kimber Classic Select grade in .270 Win.

That’s what I’m thinking for my daughter. The others haven’t really shown an interest yet.
© 24hourcampfire