Home
Posted By: JD45 Painting stocks with a rattle can - 02/15/21
I thought I asked this before , but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any tips on painting synthetic stocks with rattle can paint? I have a Kimber Montana and others I'd like to try. Will it stick ok? And do you clear coat it?
Talk to MtnBoomer. He has it pretty well dialed.
[Linked Image from ]

Just wipe carefully first with a
clean rag and acetone

I guess you could spray a topcoat
of something, although I don't
Originally Posted by JD45

Does anyone have any tips on painting synthetic stocks with rattle can paint? I have a Kimber Montana and others I'd like to try. Will it stick ok? And do you clear coat it?

Lets see........

Take your garden variety Remington 700 Custom KS, 300 H&H

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Take the barreled action out of the stock.

Next, lightly sand the stock with either a sanding block or wet/dry sand paper, say 80 to 120 grit. Coarse enough to notice.

In this case I got some Flat, Tan , Camo Krylon paint for the base coat and a can of Clear Acrylic spray for the sealer.

What's the old saying, plan your work and work your plan. A couple weeks before i ordered some Krylon webbing spray from Mr. Art Supplies,(as you will not find this at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) over the "innanet". I got Gold, Black and White. I used only the Gold an Black on this stock.

After roughing up the surface, spray two or three light coats of the Tan Camo spray, allowing sufficient time between coats to dry.

I wanted to see how the webbing spray applied, so i tried a bit on a sheet of white poster board

After a couple experiments I went to work.

IIRC, I sprayed the black on first.

Let it dry then applied the gold webbing spray.

Sometimes less is more.

After the webbing spray dried, I smoothed off the 'tits' with #0000 steel wool, and applied several light coats of clear acrylic spray.

It has served me well over the years!

ya!

GWB
One more with Black and White webbbing spray, Green Camo base coat!

Browning A-Bolt, 300 Win Mag

ya!

GWB
I've had good luck applying krylon with torn up pieces of sea sponge then clear coating. You can get pretty good depth in the pattern and it creates some texture in the process. I just use blue painters tape when clear coating to keep the channel clean and hang from an unfolded wire coat hanger (makes it easy to hold and rotate in one hand while spraying clear coats).
Do you guys tape off the barrel channel or are you not worried about getting any overspray in the barrel channel or bed of the stock?
Great info ,thank ya'll
I tape off the barrel channel and the trigger guard inletting.
Brownells Aluma-Hyde works really well. Just not as many colors as Krylon.
Is primer necessary? And are 2 paint coats enough?
The original.paint acts as a primer. Aluma-Hyde is epoxy paint and sticks really well to fiberglass
Not as fancy as GWB but serviceable. This is Rustoleum Textured. Good grip and tough.
Is that pink or purple?
PRM has a good write up I followed it to make this 338 Montana blend in a little better:

Public land doe tag filled a few years back:

What about painting laminate stocks?
Anything special or just prime n go?
tag for later projects....
Ive done pattern and sponge painting on synth stocks.
Am now to where solid color or webbed is preferred.
Kinda anti camo really.
Originally Posted by hookeye
What about painting laminate stocks?
Anything special or just prime n go?

I’d probably sand a little bit just to give it some texture and then use a coat of primer base coat. Regular paint might not hold to well to a lacquer.
Good stuff here. Keep posting.

This could be a sticky.
Originally Posted by geedubya

Lets see........

Take your garden variety Remington 700 Custom KS, 300 H&H

Take the barreled action out of the stock.

Next, lightly sand the stock with either a sanding block or wet/dry sand paper, say 80 to 120 grit. Coarse enough to notice.

In this case I got some Flat, Tan , Camo Krylon paint for the base coat and a can of Clear Acrylic spray for the sealer.

What's the old saying, plan your work and work your plan. A couple weeks before i ordered some Krylon webbing spray from Mr. Art Supplies,(as you will not find this at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) over the "innanet". I got Gold, Black and White. I used only the Gold an Black on this stock.

After roughing up the surface, spray two or three light coats of the Tan Camo spray, allowing sufficient time between coats to dry.

I wanted to see how the webbing spray applied, so i tried a bit on a sheet of white poster board

After a couple experiments I went to work.

IIRC, I sprayed the black on first.

Let it dry then applied the gold webbing spray.

Sometimes less is more.

After the webbing spray dried, I smoothed off the 'tits' with #0000 steel wool, and applied several light coats of clear acrylic spray.

It has served me well over the years!

ya!

GWB

My only take-away from this whole post was that you shot a turkey with a .300 H&H! Damn!

(Ok, not my only take-away, but still... damn!)
Here's the 5 step process for the Patented Weagleflage pattern smile

First coat is black Rustoleum textured outdoor furniture paint. It has a sandpaper like texture.

2nd a few splotches of red primer,

3rd Camo pattern over that with blue painters tape.

4 Spray over the entire thing with desert tan Krylon fusion

5 add some rattle can black webbing.

6 Peel off tape
i've done 2 870s and about to do another once it warms above 65 here.. i don't care much for looks, other than i want the thing camoed. i sand the stock (wood or plastic) with 80gr sandpaper and wipe the metal i'm going to paint with acetone 2 separate times. i spray everything with a primer coat, let dry for about an hour, then grab some leaves and start spraying a dab of od green, some flat brown, and some sand color. repeat as needed to cover any place you missed. after i'm satisfied with the camo i spray on a clear coat (flat). done. if any paint wears off i just wipe the area off and hit it with a single spray of some flat color used in the original paint job. i admire many of the first class paint jobs i see on the web but i don't have the patience.
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

My only take-away from this whole post was that you shot a turkey with a .300 H&H! Damn!

(Ok, not my only take-away, but still... damn!)

I've shot turkey with numerous different center-fire rifles

IIRC I was hunting hogs at the Canopy!

This turkey was a target of opportunity @ +/- 175 yds., IIRC

Not good enough to shoot him in the eye-ball but what the hey, it was in season, so I took it!

ya!

GWB

I got bored and gave the rattle cans a try earlier this winter. Figured it would get my mind off a new rifle. Tikka t3 light’s black Tupperware got taped off, sanded, green base coat then some tiger stripes. I call it my poor mans nula lol. I sanded between coats and got a little to aggressive so the original stock shows through on high spots. Wife made me spray it in backyard so pick a calmer day then I did to get more even coating. Used matte clear coat, don’t know durability as I’ve not been out shooting it yet. Worse case it gets stripped and done again when I’m bored. Funny part is I bought a new Forbes anyway.

Attached picture DA8B3E4E-F3BB-436B-AAA6-9144A15C748D.jpeg
I’ve painted a few-

Christmas camo

#ChristmasCamo
#LOLZ
#Ballz
Just got done about an hour ago .
Stripping the forearm down with acetone from the full blown retard 60,s flower pot job I did.

Waaaaaay toooo much.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]best images for websites
Go back to this baseline and KISS.
Keep it simple stupid.

Take the lessons learned and do it waaaay better round 2.

Go with black matte base and matte dark green spanish moss web spray pattern.
The green in this pic is olive.
And wrap the webbing tight as fugg with coat thread again and not have the smudge areas in spots or at least not as pronounced as in the 1st try I did that is pictured.
Then shoot it with matte clear coat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by renegade50
Stripping the forearm down with acetone from the full blown retard 60,s flower pot job I did.

Waaaaaay toooo much.

You thought it was ugly. But that's just the kind of pattern Winchester would slap on an XPR and charge $80 extra.

I tape everything I don’t want to paint off and wipe the stock down using acetone or denatured alcohol. Always wear latex gloves as oils from hands cause issues.

I use a primer as a base coat.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I use Matte Clear Aluma-Hyde II as an overcoat with Krylon as colors so you get best of both worlds; color palate of Krylon & toughness of Aluma Hyde.

Pay close attention to instructions re: adding coats and take your time.
Originally Posted by efw

I tape everything I don’t want to paint off and wipe the stock down using acetone or denatured alcohol. Always wear latex gloves as oils from hands cause issues.

I use a primer as a base coat.

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I use Matte Clear Aluma-Hyde II as an overcoat with Krylon as colors so you get best of both worlds; color palate of Krylon & toughness of Aluma Hyde.

Pay close attention to instructions re: adding coats and take your time.

Alumhyde II matte clear
Did you have any issues with it over krylon???
How long for the krylon to dry and cure before you hit it with the Aluma hyde II???

This sounds like a really good approach.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator

Waaaaaay toooo much.

You thought it was ugly. But that's just the kind of pattern Winchester would slap on an XPR and charge $80 extra.

LOL!!!

60,s plant pot xtreme.....
Thanks, GW. Fine looking stock jobs!
One I did a few years back with krylon

Careful with Aluma-Hyde "matte" clear I bought some and coated my painted stock and it was the most glossy clear coat I've ever used. Ruined my paint job. In the reviews it sounds like I'm not alone. Brownells offered to send another can, but my paint job was already ruined.
Originally Posted by Wesley2
I’ve painted a few-

These look great. I like that gray texture on the black.
My favorite I've done, and one of recent, Kimber Hunter foreend shortened/remolded, painted green, then granite speck applied then clear.

Originally Posted by JackRyan
Is that pink or purple?

It's actually a nice brown but that was shot with an old phone. Built it back in the mid 80's and my dad thought all stocks were made of wood. Had to kind of sneak this one in or he might not have allowed me on the ranch.LOL.

Alumhyde II matte clear
Did you have any issues with it over krylon???
How long for the krylon to dry and cure before you hit it with the Aluma hyde II???

This sounds like a really good approach.

I haven’t had issues with it over Krylon at all it actually bonds so well that if I chip the stock at all it removes all of the layers together.

I don’t remember how long exactly it is that I have to let the Krylon cure, but I follow whatever directions are on the side of the can.
tag for later project
A B&C Ti stock and a Montana that I sponged.
I've painted a few with wrinkle paint, if that counts - I think the high temp stuff works best. I'd chuck the stock up in the lathe using a wooden dowel in the barrel channel and turn it at 28 rpm while spraying and drying to help prevent drips and sag , taping off anything I didn't want paint on, including most of the lathe. Acetone and gloves as mentioned above.

Worked pretty good.
The hardest part is finding the webbing or "marbling" spray paint from krylon, if you want that look. I suggest just ordering it online unless you enjoy rubbing elbows with masked boomies at hobby lobby or Michael's.

Other than that is just prep, spray, dry.....simple [bleep]. Even reney can do it
Only ever did one for coyote stands in desert country. Bolt is cerakote, not paint.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
My favorite I've done, and one of recent, Kimber Hunter foreend shortened/remolded, painted green, then granite speck applied then clear.

Man I really like that paint! Exactly what is it?

Rustoleum Hunter Green followed by Rustoleum Granite stone texture, practiced with the granite paint before spraying the stock. That's just a couple light swipes with the granite texture paint. Then a pile of clear coats.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The hardest part is finding the webbing or "marbling" spray paint from krylon, if you want that look. I suggest just ordering it online unless you enjoy rubbing elbows with masked boomies at hobby lobby or Michael's.

Other than that is just prep, spray, dry.....simple [bleep]. Even reney can do it

Hobby Lobby used to carry it, black silver gold and white
There are other colors by Montana Cans if ordering online
( Think red and blue plus above mentioned )
First DIY stock job finished earlier this month.

I used the information MShuntfish posted: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...96431/all/A_Simple_Pictorial_of_DIY_Camo

Big Thank You to him!
B&C Alaskan stock with Brownells Aluma-Hyde
(OD Green & FDE)

Nice!
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This looks great. Can you tell us more about the granite speck? Does it add texture?
Tag - your it !
Originally Posted by LNF150
First DIY stock job finished earlier this month.

I used the information MShuntfish posted: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...96431/all/A_Simple_Pictorial_of_DIY_Camo

Big Thank You to him!

Looks groovy. I dig it.
Did this many moons ago.
The Rustoleum Multicolor Texture line makes for a pretty easy job, hides surface imperfections. Topped with a matte clear to smooth out the surface as desired.

Same Rustoleum Texture, just for texture, then another darker green and lots of clearcoat. Action is Duracoated. Our Troy, HH, made the coordinating sling.
.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by philgood80
(OD Green & FDE)

Perfect. Looking at landscapes and foliage, that's the ticket, open with vertical elements. Well done!
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

This looks great. Can you tell us more about the granite speck? Does it add texture?

Yes it does, makes it feel a little gritty. Helps with grip IMO. May wear after time though, we’ll see.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
(OD Green & FDE)

Perfect. Looking at landscapes and foliage, that's the ticket, open with vertical elements. Well done!

Thanks! I like it. Considered adding black and or brown but left it as is. KISS principle. Barreled action is FDE and the scope is OD.
Two tone can work. Look around the landscape, at wildlife habitats, from dozens to hundreds of yards. You generally don't see little smudges of multiple colors a couple of inches in size. You see bigger pieces of color like open hand or head size. Just stocks are too small to get much on there and we look at them up close. Just ideas. These were years ago.
Camo? The older I get, the more I lose -er- "misplace" things. If I ever get a synthetic stock it's gonna be neon orange or magenta. I really like magenta....

I'm working on a concept for battery powered strobe for it - maybe operated off a signal from the iPhone, gps, or sat phone....A loon call would be nice too, tho that might be misleading for moose hunting.Should be fine in the high-up, high plains, or desert.... smile

Is it April yet?
OSHA

Dexter

Las Special
Tropical Desires (not even a hint of rattle can).

Fence and Sage.

Interesting!

Good stuff Guys!

Ya!

GWB
I have a Savage with a birch stock that I've been thinking about painting. I really like your rifle with the green camo with B&W webbing. If I paint it that is likely the look I'll try for.
I'm bumping this back up. Ya'll were just getting started.
The giraffe pattern someone had awhile back was pretty nice looking.
(OD Green & FDE)

I like it! Simple, understated.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Dexter

I hope this one catches on and potentially retires the black-web thing. It's time we all stick a fork in that one. laugh
Com'on man, black webbing is great.... For texture.....
Originally Posted by SKane
(OD Green & FDE)

I like it! Simple, understated.

Refined with a touch of grace....
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The giraffe pattern someone had awhile back was pretty nice looking.

Someone gots skills... This is from an article A Lite Brigade. Craig Boddington's rifles. Closest I got was buying the colors of Duracoat for the top two.
I agree, thanks a nice looking stock Chris, I'm planning to take the same route with my .257 Bob Hunter. How did you prep the stock before painting? Also, that's a neat and clean looking sling - what is it?

Thanks,
PigGuy
tag for later
I've painted several. For metal parts I think Aluma-Hyde is better than krylon etc. For stocks it all works...
I've really enjoyed seeing all these rifles. I came back to look because I have bought 4 synthetic stocked rifles in the past year. I want to paint a couple sometimes.

I like solid colors, like Bloody Mary, and Orange Crush, Different Strokes, YMMV Rio7
Tag for when needed. Some good pointers here.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Tag
Wow! What a bobcat!
On my Rem700 tupperware I went with the Krylon dip method, wanted more white in a random winter camo pattern, worked out great

Wow, that's wild!
I just bought a Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker. The stock is as slick as they come. No texture.

Anyone have experience painting these? I wonder how well paint will stick?
Originally Posted by Swamplord
On my Rem700 tupperware I went with the Krylon dip method, wanted more white in a random winter camo pattern, worked out great

is that just water in the cooler? How did you prep the stock?
I have done a lot, now I get more than I really want, its easy and just as easy to fix mistakes, laminate, like someone said rough up a bit for adhesion, just make sure the surface (whatever) is clean.
Here's my Montana. Just didn't like the blue....simple sponge job with a couple colors of rattle can.

Here's my m700 450 Bushmaster I just finished building.

Couple colors of textured Rustoleum. Black sponge on top.

I do shoot a couple coats of clear over it. I found it'll last much better that way.
Wow. That's nuts it looks so good! The gray one is my favorite.
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by Swamplord

is that just water in the cooler? How did you prep the stock?

Krylon spray paint on top of water in a cooler that stocks fit into , all I had at the time, (easy to build a box out of scrap lumber) , paint will mix to create unlimited camo patterns...... Wash stock with Dawn or Joy dish soap to degrease and rinse with hot water, (shower/tub) make sure stock is completely dry before dipping...........
Deer season is close .Time for some more show and tell in this thread.

Rustoleum Hunter Green followed by Rustoleum Granite stone texture, practiced with the granite paint before spraying the stock. That's just a couple light swipes with the granite texture paint. Then a pile of clear coats.

I bought 4 more synthetic stocked deer rifles last year. I want one to have the above paint job.

If it turns out well, I'm sure 2 more will get the treatment with different base coat colors.
Trying to attach pics of an old Rem 700 DM tupperware stock and McMillan stock for same rifle that I did last year. Sorry, I am not enabled to use file sharing sites for security reasons.

I started by stiffening the tupperware stock with some busted Beman ICS 400 shaft pieces and JB Weld. I also foam-filled the buttstock to quiet that down.

It was might first paint job test case. I wanted some practice before I moved on to do the same with an old McMillan stock that I use for the rifle that originally came with the tupperware stock ...

After sanding, I used some reddish primer, camo spray paint in striping and sponged as well, black webbing and clear coat.

It fits in well with Texas mesquite, cactus and red dirt.

The dark (navy) stock in the first pic is the McMillan before prep with the 270win in the finished tupperware stock.

The second pic is the 270 in the McMillan stock after it was done.

For what it's worth, the tupperware and McMillan ended up at about the same weight and the forend flex was not much different, either.

Attached picture 20200823_130815_66pct.gif
Attached picture 20200830_225800_10pct.gif

Oops, forgot this thread was this thread. Dome duplicates...

A walnut and blue Interarms Mark X. Titanium Duracoat and friends...

Rem 721 RS, 1957 metal Duracoat, '86 RS stock rattled

4-pack

Howa 1500 poly Duracoat

BloodF'ingOrange Rem poly
(Mottled via a translucent top coat, airbrush hobby paints)
Mod 70 poly
Marlin XS

SlimTikka Deathray 6.5-06.

Tikka

Tikka

Dexter
Mountain Boomer,

I think one of those stocks is mine! Still holding up after a good year of service. Thanks for doing it for me!

onerifle
Tag
Originally Posted by onerifle
Mountain Boomer,

I think one of those stocks is mine! Still holding up after a good year of service. Thanks for doing it for me!

onerifle

Cool. It's good to hear.

(Double checked for thread conformation, there's one rattle canned!)
Originally Posted by RIO7

Siberian tiger? LOL

Orange Crush meet Shileny.

Rattled up Howa Mini...
The same, by a Montana, both in a texture phase...

Coon hunter.

Sandnig..

Mtn Patriot

First stencil camo attempt. Rugger 77 Hawkeye SS 35 Whelen

Slim Tikka red web attempt

Pretty 700, ahhhh.

Hanks Savage 10P

Slight reflavor of a 77 Hawkeye Predator

Compactical 700 243 (Sheephunter stock)
Rattled 700 Mtn

Three woodies.

Tikka, The Sexy

Oops.

Wild Mini

RattleDazzle 700

SlimTikka

Soft touch two-fer

Darriks Darren Darrius's Montana

Hank's Mini Chocolate Fractone

ODG Vet gun modded RAR 6.5 Creedmoor

Originally Posted by Wesley2
I’ve painted a few-

Well done. Not sure how you did the little squiglies on 3, 4?

Especially like the tones on the bottom left... Subtle. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Here's my Montana. Just didn't like the blue....simple sponge job with a couple colors of rattle can.

Here's my m700 450 Bushmaster I just finished building.

Couple colors of textured Rustoleum. Black sponge on top.

I do shoot a couple coats of clear over it. I found it'll last much better that way.

Nice job on your Montana!

Clearcoat is a for sure thing. It's the same stuff, just tougher without the pigments and should be slightly more chemical resistant. Plus smudged clear looks better than smudged color if something gets on it... That's the main weakness of rattle canned products.

An easy stepup would be air cure Cerakote clearcoat via an airbrush. The rabbit hole...
tag

Rattle can sponge
Grape Ape!

Just to have in one place.

RE texture

This basically has some little webbs and speckles for texture. Tikka T3X.

Similar strategy here. Montucky.

Fine texture (Duracoat's Durasand) followed by micro-webs of different complimentary colors. Mod 70 poly.

More aggressive with multiple layers of heavier webbing. Montucky. Pic does not do it justice....

Some heavy texture made with Devcon. Very difficult to predict in my experience, but, it worked as hoped. Mask, apply goop, let stand for a bit, put layer of tape over it, massage, let nearly set up, remove tape, cure, and paint....Rem 700 LVSF

How about this? It's a Rem 700 wood ADL with turds apparently... Not mine! Don't even go there!

Someone around here thought it was a nice synthetic, and they were wanting to sell it as such, IIRC.

LOL Hold into the toiler bowl.

Originally Posted by Ranger99
[Linked Image from ]

Just wipe carefully first with a
clean rag and acetone

I guess you could spray a topcoat
of something, although I don't

this... I love it AND its easy to fix and make look like new again
Ultra matte black and army green

up
Just got done painting one for my buddies son, they had bought him a combo savage axis package a few years back and finally got him a better scope. I installed the scope for them and convinced him it needed a paint job. Krylon and webbing spray with a couple coats of clear

tag
What is the best webbing spray and where to buy it? And do all of you clear coat on top?
Krylon marbelizing spray. Hobby Lobby has the gold, ace hardware did have the black on their site last I ordered some, shipped to store for like 6 bucks a can. I like to use a flat, matte, or satin clear of whatever brand I used to paint rifle with.
Tag
Good technique
Some damn fine looking work here!
I took an old 10/22 stock and cut off an inch to fit my 10 year old boy.
I sanded it down with 80 grit and good acetone wipe.
Primered with self etching primer, and then hit it with some bed liner spray.
Few years later I decided to used some Krylon green to go over that. After few days of drying I sprayed a coat of satin.
Turned out much better than I though.
https://imgur.com/a/1I7DwER
Back up for the new members.

Too many good pics here to be lost.
Agreed!!!
https://www.dickblick.com/products/montana-marble-effect-spray/

I enjoyed seeing the cool paint job pics so much I may start a new thread before hunting season. This is pure artwork to me, that's functional.
Just did a shotgun this weekend.

Roughed up the surfaces a little (though don’t think necessary), wiped down good with denatured alcohol.

Taped off what i didn’t want paint on.

Tan base coat, let it dry a couple hours, then brown sprayed over a cedar branch in a random pattern.

Few coats of matte clear coat.

Turned out great. Easy peasy
Pics can make you famous though
A couple I did a few years back. Stone texture, camo krylon w/sponge, black web, and Alumahyde II matte clear coat. They are holding up well.

Still functional hide the flash paint job, was very effective. This rifle alone has taken more game than many have taken with all their rifles combined.

Note the rust patina on the bolt.

What is left of the paint on this side.

The barrel is stainless and chambered in 7x57. Awesome rifle.
Aervoe paint

Sponge camo paint job, Aervoe paint

Aluma-Hyde II, stock

Ya'll definitely have some artistic painting skills
LOBO2 - all look great, nice work!

Gents, it's time for the webbed-paint effect to be put out to pasture. whistle
SKANE, Couldn't Agree More. Rio7

What is to take its place?

The webbing adds surface texture/grip as well as looking good. I’ll be keeping it on my rifles.

Thank you sir.

Webbed paint is great!! I love it on my B&C stock that I have!!
© 24hourcampfire