Home
Does anyone know when remington switched from the 3 hole receiver to the 4 hole on the model sevens?
Mine is a three hole, bought 25 years ago.
According to the Weaver mounting base chart, 1999.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Sounds about right. We bought 2 of them in 99, they had the 4 hole.
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by gunzo

Sounds about right. We bought 2 of them in 99, they had the 4 hole.

I just bought a used M7 stainless that had been rebarreled around, I'm told, 2001 and it's a 2 screw rear bridge, so the 1999 timeline fits.
I’ve got a 673 that’s a 4 hole. They were only made 2003-2004 so the timeline for the change listed above fits
My seven Predator in 22-250 is a 4 holer. thinking those 673s take the same bases don't they?
My truck/tractor/knockabout rifle is a Model 7 stainless 223. It is a 4 holer, but the scope mount that's on it is a Leupold 3 hole one piece base that I happened to have lying around. I was just going to try it and see how the rifle would shoot. That's been over 5 years ago, and it's been on there ever since, and has always kept zero. Of course the scope, a 3-9 Burris FF2 probably has a little something to do with that.

The rest of my Model 7's are also 4 holers, and all have two piece bases.
Thanks guys for the replies. I was hoping for a definitive date as I have an older model seven on the way and it has 2 piece bases on it but I think it's probably too old to be a 4 hole model so I'm thinking it was probably either modified or there's just a single screw holding the rear base.

I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets here to find out.
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
Thanks guys for the replies. I was hoping for a definitive date as I have an older model seven on the way and it has 2 piece bases on it but I think it's probably too old to be a 4 hole model so I'm thinking it was probably either modified or there's just a single screw holding the rear base.

I am a big fan of two piece bases and never use a one piece on bolt action rifles. However, as I said in my above post, I put a 3 hole Leupold base on my 4 hole rifle. It just happened to be what I had, so I used it. It has never lost zero, and although it's not the two piece I like, I believe it is a stronger base for a rifle with just 3 holes. I'm not sure I'd trust a one hole base.

This is not a closeup, but it may give you an idea what it looks like......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I am a big fan of two piece bases and never use a one piece on bolt action rifles. However, as I said in my above post, I put a 3 hole Leupold base on my 4 hole rifle. It just happened to be what I had, so I used it. It has never lost zero, and although it's not the two piece I like, I believe it is a stronger base for a rifle with just 3 holes. I'm not sure I'd trust a one hole base.

This is not a closeup, but it may give you an idea what it looks like......

If it is indeed a 3 hole I will probably use this base.

https://www.leupold.com/dd-xp-100-1-pc-matte
I took my (3 hole) Model 7 and Talley Lightweights (4 screw) to my gun smith.
$25 later I had a 4 holer.
Originally Posted by gunnut308

^^^ This
And while it’s there have the smith open the rear trigger guard hole to match a 700
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Originally Posted by gunnut308

^^^ This
And while it’s there have the smith open the rear trigger guard hole to match a 700

Absolutely have him thread it. Model 7 rear action screws are very small (8-36 I believe) and the replacements are unobtainable right now until Roundhill gets Remington back up and running. I’ve searched everywhere for a replacement rear stainless screw and will likely just have to have the smith drill the guard and retap the action to 1/4-28 like the 700s.

If it is indeed a 3 hole I will probably use this base.

https://www.leupold.com/dd-xp-100-1-pc-matte

If you want one of these, I have the xp-100 base and set of low one inch rings in the classifieds.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15807935#Post15807935
© 24hourcampfire