Home
Posted By: Ndbowhunter How do you pick a rifle? - 02/17/21
Assuming you have a few that have been pretty vetted.

How are you picking which rifle to bring on a hunt?

For myself i’ll run the formidilosus 20 shot test (search it with rokslide and you’ll find it) .. it highlights what platforms does what task the best

For instance I shoot the ar15 better offhand and seated a lot better then any other platform. It gets the nod in tight stuff

Krg bravo 223 wins handily in resting off an object or bipod... by a wide margin. It goes with me in the sagebrush

Anything above 40grains of powder will over 2-3 tests always score the worse.

Typical hunting stocks I score the worst across the board.

Curious how you go about it.
Posted By: memtb Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/17/21

For myself, it’s relatively easy. One rifle/cartridge for everything from Antelope/Whitetail, to most of the African Big Five. I haven’t made that African trip yet, and probably never will....but, it’s worked quite well for everything I’ve hunted in North America! memtb
If it warms up you should come shooting on our spot by kirby
Kind of funny because that piece of state ground you hit as you go north out of the state park in thermop.. about 3 miles out.. just about a half mile or so past the first public boat launch as the road veers north.

Anyways I was shooting a ton over there and it was enlightening how much more consistent a guy is getting hits with a fast twist 223 vs say a 300 win mag if ur replicating hunting scenarios.. and I had a good 40 of them from my previous 3 months in New Zealand.

the 300 got better and better as weight got added, and a brake... and finding a lower node... with a light bullets.

Kept ripping spark plugs just to see.

Recoil matters.. especially if shot positions are compromised.

200gr eld-x over the top vs 77gr tmk through the lungs.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/17/21
Recoil tolerance dictates cartridge. If I can't shoot it like a varmint rifle, it's too much. But don't believe in "overkill". Cartridge must be appropriate for the game, and capable of producing two leaky holes somewhat reliably.

No, I'll never hunt pachyderms.

Decent ergos, but most have them. Not picky about it. Can get used to whatever I practice with.

Good/very good trigger - some have it, if not, it's fixable. Must.

Stainless or otherwise weather impervious. Synthetic or laminate stock, and "typical" stocks are fine. Anything else is a safe-queen.
I usually pick the best tool for the job at hand. Sometimes I don’t and just bring something I like or want to get bloody. That said, most of my rifles are lightweight (Kimbers, NULAs, Tikkas), so it’s almost a given that I’m bringing something light in weight. Decisions, decisions...
Posted By: hanco Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/17/21
See it, like it, buy it!!!
You only own one rifle?
If it’s stainless and says Tikka on it I’ll buy it.
Posted By: memtb Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21

Ndbowhunter.....in reading back through a few posts, I’m guess’n the question was to me! Where do ya shoot around Kirby? And, several rifles.....only one hunting rifle! memtb
We shoot over at Docs house.. he’s got a couple pivots so he doesn’t mind us shooting and keeping the wildlife away. Or up on cedar mountain but that might be a poke for ya

Sucks balls they cut so many antelope and deer doe tags out through the basin.. well at least the early type 7 tags.

Didn’t suck stacking antelope in August..

Not a fan of cleaning quarters in October/November unless it’s got bones on the head
Posted By: 16bore Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
I take my 243 when hunting with the kid (hers uses the same ammo) and ‘06 when she’s not with me.

Easy when there’s only two choices.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
Einey, meeny. miney,,,,
Posted By: memtb Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
We shoot over at Docs house.. he’s got a couple pivots so he doesn’t mind us shooting and keeping the wildlife away. Or up on cedar mountain but that might be a poke for ya

Sucks balls they cut so many antelope and deer doe tags out through the basin.. well at least the early type 7 tags.

Didn’t suck stacking antelope in August..

Not a fan of cleaning quarters in October/November unless it’s got bones on the head

I’m a recluse......Dr. Miller? I much prefer close range shots.......but, under ideal conditions, possible good to 600 from sticks. I have minimal experience at extender ranges, as I burn through very few components.....just for the sake of shooting! memtb
Posted By: Hudge Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
I try new loads in my rifles, pick the best one and practice with that. When hunting season opens, 80% of the time, I still end up grabbing my 300 WM. I guess since I know that rifle like the back of my hand from having to work out all of the issues with it the first couple of years I owned it, I now am more accustomed to it and trust it more than most of my other rifles.
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Einey, meeny. miney,,,,

Yep, something like this.
Posted By: USAmade Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
I pick it if it's pretty. Sucker for good wood. Everything else becomes secondary really.
Caliber/cartridge/bullet weight appropriate to the game in the expected hunting conditions. They are all accurate and fit me.
Posted By: Northman Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
Small animal: Tikka T3 223
Large animal: Tikka T3 308
Posted By: hotsoup Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
after giving my kids and grandkids almost all of my rifles, i'm down to a 223, a 308win, and a 300winmag. after my upcoming nilgai hunt i'll give one of them the 300winmag, leaving me with just 2 center fire rifles. as i age i'm liking simplicity.
Posted By: RCflash Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
I choose two rifles to hunt with.

Get em both ready and shoot em enough to be comfortable in my hands. ONe is what i choose to hunt with and the other is the back up. Most of my deer hunting is from a stand in brush country.
This last year my rifle out the door was a sporterized Mauser in 7 x 57.
The back up was a pre-64 Model 70 in 270, which i enjoy too much to let it be a Closet Queen.

A few times i switched to the back up in the middle of the deer season. Guys in the crew gave me chit for it. So i told em..."hey, in baseball sometimes you change pitchers during the game.' And sometimes i took a deer with the back up.

Some years ago we had a good snow fall and the guys volunteered me to open some trails with my snowshoes. For that i brought out the Savage 99 featherweight in 300 Savage.

If I have em I use em.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/18/21
I tailor the rifle to the hunt, or the hunt to the rifle if I want to carry something specific. But they usually look like these.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Need a reason Not to bring a scoped .270 WCF/150 gr., be it M700 BDL or M70 EW/SS, depending on the weather.

Which ain't often.

GR
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/19/21
It really depends on where I am hunting and whether I am stand hunting or still hunting. Whether I need a scoped rifle or iron sights. Given the right circumstances I prefer to still hunt. In dry conditions that make for noisy stalking g I will stand hunt.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/19/21
7600 pump 270 90% of the time and SS 280 when the weather is bad.
Posted By: jwall Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/19/21
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

How are you picking which rifle to bring on a hunt?

In no particular order.
Sometimes by the mood I’m in.

Sometimes I pick one I haven’t hunted recently or very much.

Sometimes I pick a sentimental fav.

When I expect to be in a long range area, always 270 Win or 7mmRM.

Jerry
Dang, I thought this thread was about how to pick a used rifle when rummaging around through the used rifle racks.. Sigh.. That's my idea of fun.. Picking one to hunt with is easy enough and usually depends on how many days I'm hunting. I'll take a different one every day of the hunt, if I want...
Originally Posted by memtb

For myself, it’s relatively easy. One rifle/cartridge for everything from Antelope/Whitetail, to most of the African Big Five. I haven’t made that African trip yet, and probably never will....but, it’s worked quite well for everything I’ve hunted in North America! memtb

Maybe it’s just me but a post like this drives me bonkers. What is the cartridge you speak of haha?
Posted By: SS336 Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/19/21
All my rifles, except one, come from rummaging through the used racks at gun shops or gun shows. That is the fun part.
An older rifle that has not been used much in an a cartridge that interests me, that’s cheap. I will refinish the stock if necessary, clean it up, work up a load and then decide if I keep it or sell it and buy another project.
Posted By: memtb Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

Maybe it’s just me but a post like this drives me bonkers. What is the cartridge you speak of haha?

.375 AI.....my only “hunting” rifle since February of 1990. At 9 pounds 2 ounces (scoped/loaded/slung), it light enough for most any hunting situation....though sheep and Mountain Goats would be a little more challenging at my age. A few prairie dogs, fox, and coyotes, and a fare selection of big game have been taken with it. If I hadn’t bought a big pile of 250 TTSX’s (running 3160 mv) quite a while back.....I’d probably even suggest that I could use one bullet type/weight for everything. If Barnes will ever bring out a LRX in something around 290 to 300 grains....then I’d say one bullet for everything! wink memtb
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/20/21
I try to pick a rifle that is the right tool for the intended task. Still-hunting in tight cover calls for a short, well balanced, fast handling rifle for jump shots. Longer ranges, a different format. etc., etc.
This is how I picked my caliber. I started reloading in 1978 for the Ruger M77 270 Win. Did the best I could for the best accuracy. Then I traded for a different caliber and did the same thing and so on with other calibers. I did plenty of shooting and reloading. Then I started reloading for the 358 Win and the rest is history. This is the only caliber I settled on. I have a Rem 600 Gloss Blue, Rem 700 Gloss Blue and a Rem Model 7 stainless all in 358 Win. I don't need any other caliber for deer, moose or black bear. I do have other calibers such as a 700 222 Rem Mag for coyote and several 223's both bolt and AR's. I also have a Ruger Mini 30 which I used in up-state NY for deer in an apple orchard. I've shot plenty of deer with other calibers. Some calibers that I reloaded for are : 30/06, 35Whelen, 35Rem, 30/30, 243, 7mm08, 444, 45/70 and there are a few more. Just to let you know that some of these calibers were tack drivers. But for some reason I just fell in love with the 358 Win and I like the bolt action.

Ken
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

.375 AI.....my only “hunting” rifle since February of 1990. At 9 pounds 2 ounces (scoped/loaded/slung), it light enough for most any hunting situation....though sheep and Mountain Goats would be a little more challenging at my age. A few prairie dogs, fox, and coyotes, and a fare selection of big game have been taken with it. If I hadn’t bought a big pile of 250 TTSX’s (running 3160 mv) quite a while back.....I’d probably even suggest that I could use one bullet type/weight for everything. If Barnes will ever bring out a LRX in something around 290 to 300 grains....then I’d say one bullet for everything! wink memtb

What would you not hunt with a 250 TTSX? Surely nothing in N.A. you wouldn’t hunt with that?
There are times I’ve thought about having a 375 H&H for everything. It’s my favorite cartridge although I don’t own one.
Posted By: AKduck Re: How do you pick a rifle? - 02/20/21
How it feels in the hand and which ever one feels like it has the luck. My 6 Creed Kimber gets toted the most.
© 24hourcampfire