Home
So I’m curious if anyone has had the kind of experience with Mcmillian like I’ve had over the past few years. Started back in 2017 when I ordered my first two stocks, identical hunters edge stocks for a model 70 featherweight. So first of all with this order, they charged my credit card for 4 stocks when I ordered two. The stocks show up and I called the gentleman up that had payed for one of the stocks he came over and within 24 hours he sold his stock because of how sloppy the fit was. Ok so I take mine over to a well known gun smith to have mine bedded and he calls me to tell me the stock is cracked. I called mcmillian to tell them and they said to send it back which is a great offer but after waiting 9 months I chose to have my gun smith mill it and fix it.
1 year later I order 1 model 70 featherweight style edge filled and it shows up and is perfect.
3 years later. November 2020 I order 2 model 70 edge filled featherweight style stocks before they discontinue this model.
(My wife calls me at work to tell me to call McMillan because the just charged $12,666.60 to my credit card.)
(Unreal)
I get a email stating the stocks are being sent. I call McMillan figure out the credit card issue. It’s taken care. I receive the stocks Feb 15,2021 I open the boxes and look at the stocks to find out both have been inletted for sporter barrel. All the order paperwork says featherweight BC. Now they are headed back to McMillan to set be back another 2-3 months to get them fixed. Anyone ever have any issues with them?
I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve got a pile of them and haven’t had a bad experience yet. Just ordered another today as a matter of fact, they had a new employee handle me (recently discharged Army veteran). Nice fella and took care of me in no time.

I can understand how that could be frustrating though.
I used to love them but they are just WAY overpriced and they’ve dropped inlets I would want.

Time to move away and look at other more reasonable options!
I have not had any issues with any of the three I have ordered. I also ordered another today. The guy was very helpful. I am disappointed with some of the dropped inlets and stock styles. I looked for other options and I didn’t find anything. They were either a lot higher or a lot lower and I didn’t like the looks and/or feel of them. So I guess as long as they make an inlet and style I like I am still going to give them hard look.
I have been using their stocks for 17-18 years.
Never a problem. But have just owned 12-14..

And never in a Remington footprint.

But I think I am done with them now...
They have removed almost everything I was interested in.
Yes I have had problems with them and it was not fun trying to get them to fix it either. I have not bought any directly from them in years.
I bought a stock that was on sale on their internet site. When it arrived the LOP was too short. I sent it back, but they charged me for the shipping both ways. IMO, since the problem was due to the specs in their ad being wrong, I think that they should have covered the shipping, as I wouldn't have ordered the stock if I had known that the LOP was about 12". When I called about it, the message was that I was lucky to get any reimbursement since it was being sold at a discount. I haven't bought another new McM stock since then. When a business is busy, running at full capacity, they tend to forget that dissatisfied consumers tend to spread news of their dissatisfaction, while happy customers are mostly silent. McM's customer service was pretty poor, indifferent toward the consumer, but I've had the same experience with Boyds.
Plastic stocks....bleh......

Wood....it's what's happening.
Back when McMillan was the only game in town, they were highly sought after. Today, there's plenty of competition in that space. I always like McM stocks but am now finding myself looking at other options.
Originally Posted by devnull
Back when McMillan was the only game in town, they were highly sought after. Today, there's plenty of competition in that space. I always like McM stocks but am now finding myself looking at other options.

I have to say that's where I am too. I have around 15 McMillan stocked rifles, but the last 4 ( and one out now) have been elsewhere. For me it's because McMillan really didn't offer what I wanted in terms of pattern and weight and with the price increases I could go to professionally fitted stock elsewhere for little difference in price.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
McM's customer service was pretty poor, indifferent toward the consumer, but I've had the same experience with Boyds.

Not that we should ever have to deal with schity customer service. But, it's a bit easier to take on a stock that was $200 over one that was $700.

^^^^^

Nice having options nowadays.
Originally Posted by MtnHtr

^^^^^

Nice having options nowadays.

Not too long ago I would have argued that no one offers all the options inlets patterns and colors McMillan does at any price point. I’m not so sure I can make the same argument today.

I love the Mcmillian stocks I have. Haven’t had any problems to speak of. What little customer service I’ve needed has been smooth. I do think my next stock will be a manners though. Unless I do something on a mini with the place in Oregon or something like that.
They've been overpriced for a few years now. They don't make any of my rifles shoot better.
When Dick Davis was at McM, you could always reach out to him and 99/100 percent of the time he would take care of you and solve your problem. Without Dick, or someone like Dick who actually cared about customers, McM became a "buy it or don't buy it, we don't care" sort of company. Eventually, no matter how good a company's products are, they will alienate their customer base with poor customer service and an indifferent attitude.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
They've been overpriced for a few years now. They don't make any of my rifles shoot better.

McMs are definitely at the top of the heap price wise nowadays.

As for shooting better MCMs definitely helped me shoot my rifles better than some factory tupperware stocks. That would be off the bench, bipods, packs and offhand. A big part of it is the fit as well.

Might try a Manners someday but I'm hearing they aren't perfect and take some work.

Originally Posted by MtnHtr

McMs are definitely at the top of the heap price wise nowadays.

As for shooting better MCMs definitely helped me shoot my rifles better than some factory tupperware stocks. That would be off the bench, bipods, packs and offhand. A big part of it is the fit as well.

Might try a Manners someday but I'm hearing they aren't perfect and take some work.

That’s exactly right. At 6’5” factory stocks don’t help with shooting real well. The McMs have made them a pleasure though.
Are most of the post here from purchases before changing hands or after? I'd like to know how they are now, under new ownership.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
McM's customer service was pretty poor, indifferent toward the consumer, but I've had the same experience with Boyds.

Not that we should ever have to deal with schity customer service. But, it's a bit easier to take on a stock that was $200 over one that was $700.

This ^^^. If I'm paying $700 (or more) for a stock, it should arrive as ordered. And if it doesn't, I expect excellent customer service and expedited repairs. If I'm paying a premium for a stock, it should come with premium customer service.
I have a couple of McM’s but much prefer spending my $$ with my local gunsmith. They make custom stocks that beat McM’s on price, fit, function & customer service.
At McMillan's price point im surprised they can sell enough stocks to stay in business, these stocks cost more than many rifles do, I dont see this kind of value here.......Hb
I'd say the McM family did a good job of setting the business up for sale. Two years of running the business flat out. Order back log continues to build. Spreading fixed costs over as many units as possible. Weeding out the less profitable / more difficult to produce product variants. Continual gradual price increases. All things that make the bean counters eyes light up when they come in to determine sale price of an existing business. The McM's done good. Bully for them...
Now with the change of hands new owners should have two priorities, one being quality and customer service second to none, and the second being to deliver product in a reasonable amount of time from my order to my front door.

That shouldn't be asking for too much for a plastic stock costing just shy of a grand.

g
Ordered one a few years back. Finally showed up and they used magnum fill when I requested standard, the barrel channel was crooked, and they put a 15" length a pull on there and I ordered standard. It was so long they glued a spacer into the stock. They let me return it for full refund, but I wasted 6 months waiting.

Two years ago I ordered a stock they had on hand in their store. Five months later and still no stock. Kept getting told "waiting on inletting." Finally reached out to Kelly McMillan and it magically appeared.

Thought about ordering another recently, but I see they now charge an extra $80 for a recoil pad. Who the F buys a stock without a recoil pad? After shipping and extras like sling stud and a pesky recoil pad, I was looking at $750. Just going to buy a B&C for less than half.
McMillan is a name, nothing more.
I don't see how things could possibly work out well for ME if I decided to treat myself to a McMillan. I'll pass.

I prefer to do my own work so I order my stocks in the raw with the rough inlets.

I like the McM's because they offer a slimmer hunting stock like the Hunters Edge or other slim patterns in Edge fill. I also like the molded in checkering

The Edges are heavy compared to other stocks like Wildcat or Bansner--which are 6 oz to 7 oz lighter.

The McM raw stock with inletting is 100's of dollars more than a Wildcat (which is not currently available to the USA) or a Bansner. For the price of two Edge's delivered I can buy three Bansners and still have a few bucks left over.

My High Tech Specialties, Bansner, and Wildcat stocks are just as stiff as my Edge's.

To me, the Edges are no longer worth the cost or wait.
I don’t like all the changes at McMillan or the price increased but if they still have what I am looking for I still prefer them.

I just checked bansner and it was about $65 cheaper than the McMillan with no tax or shipping. The brown is way more expensive. I don’t particularly like the manners and they don’t have the configurations I want for my current project. I know you can get Hs precision or bell and Carlson quite a bit cheaper but I don’t like the feel of them or the weight.

Who else am I missing??
I must be living in the 4 leaf clover patch. Have ordered over a dozen over the years with various fills, shank lengths, barrel inlets, LOPs, swivel studs, flush mounts, rail mounts, adjustable cheek pieces and never had an issue. Doing business in the US isn't getting cheaper and costs rise, I for one hope they survive and flourish.

I would be guessing but if I was them, I'd [bleep] can the 80% of the stocks that make up 20% of their business. And I'd try to dominate the 20% of their stocks currently making up 80% of their business.

If I build another rifle, the stock choice is easy for me.

Let me put this back to the top. Just received the two stocks back from McMillan today. Believe me when I say that one of the stocks is worse than it was when I sent it back. Action doesn’t even fit. Unbelievable. I guess I’m done with them
None better than McMillan. I’ve had exceptional luck with them. As for other stock makers, the closest thing I’ve found are the Pacific Research (formerly Borden) stocks that are like hens teeth to find.
I have quite a few of them, on Sako and Rem 700 actions. I like them, but not enough to buy them at their current prices and long wait times. I’ve moved on from them and have bought four stocks from other companies.
Originally Posted by winchester88

Let me put this back to the top. Just received the two stocks back from McMillan today. Believe me when I say that one of the stocks is worse than it was when I sent it back. Action doesn’t even fit. Unbelievable. I guess I’m done with them

Yikes. Sorry. I bought a B&C recently and it was perfect. I started chopping and modifying it to my specs though... 😎
I can say from personal experience with McMillan, Winchester88s situation is far from unique. I bought a hunters edge a couple years ago and the fit was so poor if it hadn't been bedded (and remember McMillan will tell you bedding isn't necessary) the action would slide backward in the stock almost a quarter inch under recoil. I've bought two that had to be sent back to be redone due to someone at McMillan not being able to read or comprehend the order. Most recently was exactly what his situation was. Ordered a Featherweight with a Featherweight barrel contour and they shipped a Featherweight with a sporter contour. At least the paint was right. crazy Someone in their shop isn't doing their job when crap like that gets through QA. Or maybe they don't do QA. Either way, I won't be going back for more. I'll happily spend the extra money on the Brown Precision Pound'r and have a better fit and a lighter stock. McMillan won't get any more of my business.
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
None better than McMillan.
Glad you've had good experience(s) with them. Too bad you couldn't experience what it's like on the receiving end of poor customer service from them when things don't go well...you might change your tune.

I get it...I hopped on the McMillan bandwagon after guys here raved about them. And all you guys that have had great luck with them, good for you. But when you wait months for a stock and it's POS when you get it and they won't do anything but have you send it back so you can get in line again to wait some more for them to fix their mistake, then do it again...yeah, I won't get burned again. It's not worth it to me.
I called them last week to order a stock for my Model 70 classic and was told they do not inlet for that action anymore?
Originally Posted by CRS
I called them last week to order a stock for my Model 70 classic and was told they do not inlet for that action anymore?
At the very least they were cutting back on available options for the Model 70. I wasn't aware they had decided to discontinue offering them altogether. Their web site still shows them as available but who knows?
Originally Posted by CRS

Maybe they lost their program on the CNC, so they just took a stab at inletting mine twice. Unsuccessful both times. 😡
Originally Posted by CRS

This absolutely blows my mind. They have the mold, they have the CNC equipment and they turn business away. Seems like a good business model to me.
Sounds like new owners know schit about the gunstock business..
Threads like these are good ... for AG and Brown.
Originally Posted by ldg397
I don’t like all the changes at McMillan or the price increased but if they still have what I am looking for I still prefer them.

I just checked bansner and it was about $65 cheaper than the McMillan with no tax or shipping. The brown is way more expensive. I don’t particularly like the manners and they don’t have the configurations I want for my current project. I know you can get Hs precision or bell and Carlson quite a bit cheaper but I don’t like the feel of them or the weight.

Who else am I missing??

The McM Edge with a full inlet is a lot more than than $65 difference. A full inlet, in the raw, plus studs, is over $600, plus shipping ($35 or more for shipping these days?). And McM's milling still needs a lot of work, and the last one I received 6-7 years ago weighed 25-26 ozs.
The Bansner in the raw is practically a drop in fit and cost me $450 to my door last month, with swivel studs installed, and weighed 21 ozs.
The last mcmillan quote I got was $750 shipped 😬
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The last mcmillan quote I got was $750 shipped 😬

Wow
That wasn't even for the "Edge" , just a gel coat fiberglass stock.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Sounds like new owners know schit about the gunstock business..

Well MCM is now owned by Bob Beck owner of MOA rifles and convicted poacher so.......
I see grayboe just released a new one, $600....

Was that finished with paint and recoil pad?
Not painted. They actually charge more for gel coat, and the recoil pad is now an upcharge. The last stock I bought from them included recoil pad and two sling studs. The upcharge was a third stud or flush cups.
Glad I bought an edge classic for my 700 a few years back. Rickbin had bought a bunch ofvthem and I purchased through him. Quick and painless.
Fit was perfect and I love it. Price was good at that time. Doubt I would pony up for another.
Looks like Manners is around same price points. Got another McMillan on order now. See how the new ownership team does. Like my odds.
Originally Posted by CRS
Really???? WTH???
Originally Posted by 30338
Looks like Manners is around same price points. Got another McMillan on order now. See how the new ownership team does. Like my odds.

Same here.
Update

Got a hold of Mcmillan yesterday, they are inletting for the action. They just discontinued the Winchester Hunter stock I wanted. Suggested a Game Warden or HTG instead. Looking for a stock with a raised comb.

I had picked up a Huskie 1640 that has an Edge Sako Hunter stock on it. Like the small amount of cast off and the palm swell. It fits me really well so I wanted to put the same style on my Model 70 FWT. But I will have to keep researching. Thinking Manners EH6 right now.

With Bob Beck buying Mcmillan, it makes sense that the focus will change to a tactical/hunting long range focus.
Did you ask them if you could buy the Sako hunter and inlet it for the m70? I did this a couple of years ago and it worked out very well. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by ejo
Did you ask them if you could buy the Sako hunter and inlet it for the m70? I did this a couple of years ago and it worked out very well. Just a thought.

I have this on a FN SPR action...same as an M70. Has a bit of a raised comb, cheekpiece, palm swell and cast-off. Very comfortable sock.

McM also has the McM Hunter which is basically the same stock as the Sako Hunter.

McM Hunter top (tan)
Sako Hunter bottom

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I will check with them.

What is the difference between the Sako and McM Hunter stocks?
Nothing that I can tell. They are identical.
They will not do either for the Model 70. My choice is pretty much the HTG.

Going to compare specs on that vs EH6.
Well that sucks. That green/black one is an M70 inlet. Maybe something changed in the last 10 years.
The HTG is meh IMO.
I spoke with a nice guy there and he explained production is now done using CNC. I don’t know if that makes any diff or not. Had issues with last couple. They have always been willing to fix. Agree with whomever posted that the McM’s did good to set up for sell, good on them. Will always have a place in my heart for the molded in camo HTG’s. But I am curious to try some other stock makers. I hope they continue to be great.
I'm not buying [bleep] that Bob Beck has anything to do with.

I ordered a McMillan hunter edge for a Winchester model 70 classic short action painted with pillars and recoil pad just a month ago. It was $741 shipped, not sure what you were buying unless it went up just in the last few weeks???

I ordered a McMillan hunter edge for a Winchester model 70 classic short action painted with pillars and recoil pad just a month ago. It was $741 shipped, not sure what you were buying unless it went up just in the last few weeks???

Hope it shows up the way it’s supposed to. Their customer service is horrible.
I have quite a few McMillan stocks, But thinking they are not my top choice any more. Not a big fan of the current owner, or the choices they offer now.

Going to order a Manners EH6 on Tuesday. Have had great email communication with them. Just need to decide on color...
I had some money and saw my stockist had an Edge Game Hunter and an Edge Game Warden at old prices. I decided price was only going one way and they are now hoarded waiting for a 6.5CM and 308 in the next decade.
I’m of a generation where McMillan is something special - seems like that is diminishing
Update:
So after talking to a gentleman at Mcmillian who handles the quality control, he wanted pictures of the stock that had work done for the second time because he didn't believe me that the action didn't fit. He told me that he himself that he put a action in the stock before it left there shop. No way in ( &$?! )did he do that because I tried 4 of my classic none fit. Then told me something was wrong with my actions. I finally got him to admit the didn't try it. Now he wants the stock back because he sees the inletting issue, so he calls me after 1.5 weeks, when he said he would call with answers the following day. Well he wants the stock back to rework it for the third time. It will only take a few weeks he said. I let him know the stock is at my gunsmiths getting fixed. He hung the phone up. Conversation over. Last I knew I was the customer. For $600 almost $700 dollars I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be treating the paying customer like that. Never again. I won't even buy a used one if I saw a good deal.
Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric Stecker and I am the General Manager of McMillan Fiberglass Stocks. Some of you may know me from my time as President of Berger Bullets. I am eager to address the subject of this post. It is long so I am sure to miss something. I am ready to respond as long as those posters are as respectful as I will be to them.

Kelly McMillan is a great man, as is Walt Berger. I was working for both men as they passed the business from their hands into the hands of others. I can assure you that in both situations, I am the Steward of all things that are good and the solution provider of all challenges that need to be addressed.

At McMillan, we continue to make stocks the same way Kelly and his father made them since 1973. The only aspect of the production process we are changing is that we are writing things down. In both companies, most of the process was kept between the ears of the people who do each job. We are working hard to detail a standard process and make sure everyone sticks to that standard process. We will carry on the legacy Gale and Kelly built just as I did with Walt's legacy.

Our decision to reduce the amount of stocks and inlets we offer is so that we can deliver stocks to our customers faster. We no longer offer roughly 1/3 of the stocks previously available and roughly 40% of the action inlets previously available. This sounds like a lot but all these stocks and action inlets account for less than 7% of McMillan total sales since 2017.

Having so many "one off" products means more set ups. It means more change overs. It also means more chances for mistakes when so many rarely done products go through the production operation. It just doesn't make sense to put this burden on our operation and ultimately our customers for 7% of our sales.

I did the same thing in Berger except we would eliminate slow moving product a few at a time every year. The only difference here is that no McMillan stock or inlet was ever discontinued. The first time we do it to make the operation more effective, the list is long. You can expect that over time, more slow moving products will be discontinued as is the case in any successful business.

Regarding our product quality and customer service, the same people who were here with Kelly are the same people who are here now (with very few exceptions). They are just as motivated to make the best products and provide the best customers service as always. I stand behind every McMillan employee and every McMillan stock. If we make a mistake, let us know about it and we will correct it to your complete satisfaction.

Our warrantee is still the same lifetime warranty as it always has been. Kelly told me stories about how we've even replaced stocks that have been in a fire. I never thought it would happen but last month we had a request to replace a damaged stock. When we asked what happened, the person admitted that, "it was in a fire." We told him we absolutely will replace that stock and it is being made right now at no cost to the customer. You can't show me another stock maker that demonstrates as strong a product guarantee.

Regarding the new owner, I've known Bob for a long time. Kelly has known Bob for a long time. If you think Kelly would allow someone who is not of good character to carry on the McMillan name/brand you don't know Kelly at all. Kelly told me several times that he is glad it is Bob who was buying McMillan because he trusts Bob and he know that Bob understands the market and McMillan customers. I completely agree with Kelly. If Bob wasn't good for McMillan, Kelly would never have considered him as the new owner. I am thrilled that Bob is the new owner because I know he will honor Kelly's legacy and do everything he can to build up McMillan even further.

Before you judge us too harshly based on a few short posts, consider that the people throwing shade around aren't stock makers. It is very easy to Monday morning quarterback something about which you know nothing. It is my preference that instead, if you have any issues with McMillan, please, just call us. We are good people who want to do the right thing by our customers. If you think you can find better in another brand, that is your choice. If you can trust us to make you happy in your next stock, I will be grateful to prove to you our worth.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
General Manager
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
Eric, I’ve always respected your work and dedication but this one goes too far from the truth for me.

Bob Beck was convicted of illegally killing an animal without a valid tag and failed to do the right thing and contact the warden in if it was an “accident” as he claims. Wait the problem as shown in the court record is that he didn’t actually tag the first buck and instead shot a second bigger buck and used his one valid tag on that buck,

To compound the issue he transported both now illegally harvested animals across state lines violating the Lacey Act and never once contacted authorities until they came calling over a year later. Surely he knew he didn’t have 2 tags when he went to tag the first deer and surely by the second deer. He could have done the right thing and admitted it then and there and maybe even filmed the outcome for all to see if he was truly a sportsman.

Bob Beck since that time has made no attempt to publicly admit his wrong doing except for a half assed rebuttal in a small town radio interview that ran contradictory to his own court statements. If Bob Beck was good for our sport he would man up, admit his wrongs and take his lumps which he refused to do.

No way to spin that one except he is a poacher and a liar!

Originally Posted by Eric_Stecker
Regarding our product quality and customer service, the same people who were here with Kelly are the same people who are here now (with very few exceptions). They are just as motivated to make the best products and provide the best customers service as always. I stand behind every McMillan employee and every McMillan stock. If we make a mistake, let us know about it and we will correct it to your complete satisfaction.

Our warrantee is still the same lifetime warranty as it always has been. Kelly told me stories about how we've even replaced stocks that have been in a fire. I never thought it would happen but last month we had a request to replace a damaged stock. When we asked what happened, the person admitted that, "it was in a fire." We told him we absolutely will replace that stock and it is being made right now at no cost to the customer. You can't show me another stock maker that demonstrates as strong a product guarantee....

Before you judge us too harshly based on a few short posts, consider that the people throwing shade around aren't stock makers. It is very easy to Monday morning quarterback something about which you know nothing. It is my preference that instead, if you have any issues with McMillan, please, just call us. We are good people who want to do the right thing by our customers. If you think you can find better in another brand, that is your choice. If you can trust us to make you happy in your next stock, I will be grateful to prove to you our worth.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
General Manager

Eric,
Although I appreciate you making an attempt to sell your side of things here, I'd suggest stepping away from your GM role and look at this from the customer perspective. Especially the customer service aspect. If a customer purchases a stock from McMillan, they expect to receive a high-end, custom, fiberglass stock, made to order. that stock shouldn't need to go back to McMillan once to correct anything much less twice. This directly speaks to quality control. And when that same customer calls McMillan to explain what is going on, is lied to about who did the QC check on the stock and how the QC was done, only later proven wrong with photos of the stock and then have that "customer service" person admit they didn't do what they said they did, it speaks poorly of both QC and customer service.

Now, consider the same customer had experience with custom stocks before, some from McMillan. And this customer had issues with previously purchased stocks from McMillan (corrected by his gunsmith). He's also worked in a machine shop for years and understands QC, manufacturing and machining processes and is then told by McMillan he couldn't possibly be right about his stock being made incorrectly. It doesn't leave much of a good customer service feel for that customer does it?. Would it for you?

I'm familiar with more than one story not including my own where someone spent hundreds of dollars on a McMillan stock only to be disappointed with the product received. Personally, I've bought two stocks from McMillan and had issues with both. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or stock maker to know when something isn't made right. So before you go telling all of us that have experienced issues with your product we couldn't possibly understand how things work, consider some of us have may have in fact walked in similar shoes to yours, have brains and both can and will decide to take our hard-earned money elsewhere.

I know there are a bunch of people on this forum and elsewhere that have many good things to say about McMillan stocks, good for them. But given both stocks I bought had issues, and after having laid down a fair amount of cash for them both, waiting months to receive them only to have to send them back to be "fixed"...? It's a hard pass for me for any more. And honestly, I didn't even mind the wait. But danged if I'm gonna wait 3, 4, 5 or more months for a stock only to send it back in and then wait another 3-4 weeks or more to have what should have been done right the first time done the second time (or in the case of the original poster, the third time). No thanks.

Respectfully,
Rob
Eric Stecker:

How do you justify charging and additional $80-100 for a recoil pad? You guys sell a lot of stocks without recoil pads?

How do you justify $18 for two sling studs? Even plastic Walmart guns come with sling studs. I'm actually not sure if I've ever seen a center fire bolt gun that didn't come with sling studs straight from the factory...?

For me to order your stock with a recoil pad, two sling studs and pillars, is a $130 up charge?

I understand you're in the business to make money, but you charge extra for standard features.

And I can give you a million reasons $$$ Kelly thought Bob Beck was the right person to sell to. Enough of the drama 🙄
I sure don't understand buying a premium product on quality and price and having an issue and not getting immediate service

I read this in these forums about an aging rifle maker and I really don't understand the thinking

I have a problem with an item doesn't it make sense to get it corrected and shipped asap?

Hank
I have ordered three over the last 8 or so years, 2 of them last two years. All came exactly as I ordered them. I am not anyway diminishing or saying anyone else’s experiences didn’t happen only relaying my personal experience.

I have never had any interaction with customer service because it wasn’t needed.

All that being said I was very disappointed in the reduction in products and services offered. That is the whole point of a custom stock and to me the appeal of the McMillan being able to get something exactly the way you want it and I am willing to wait for it. I don’t think I can get any of the previous ones I bought again because they aren’t offered. It may only be 7% of your sales but it was almost 100% of my purchases.

I placed an order for another one in February because they happen to still offer the edge in a model 70 configuration that I wanted. I guess I will reserve judgement on until I receive it and report back.
TAG

Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric Stecker and I am the General Manager of McMillan Fiberglass Stocks. Some of you may know me from my time as President of Berger Bullets. I am eager to address the subject of this post. It is long so I am sure to miss something. I am ready to respond as long as those posters are as respectful as I will be to them

Kinda hope to hear more from you Eric.

All that being said I was very disappointed in the reduction in products and services offered. That is the whole point of a custom stock and to me the appeal of the McMillan being able to get something exactly the way you want it and I am willing to wait for it. I don’t think I can get any of the previous ones I bought again because they aren’t offered. It may only be 7% of your sales but it was almost 100% of my purchases.

This, +P
Sir, short version. These are players, not fans. Be on the up and up with us. You and the company will be much better off if you do.

g
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Eric, I’ve always respected your work and dedication but this one goes too far from the truth for me.

Bob Beck was convicted of illegally killing an animal without a valid tag and failed to do the right thing and contact the warden in if it was an “accident” as he claims. Wait the problem as shown in the court record is that he didn’t actually tag the first buck and instead shot a second bigger buck and used his one valid tag on that buck,

To compound the issue he transported both now illegally harvested animals across state lines violating the Lacey Act and never once contacted authorities until they came calling over a year later. Surely he knew he didn’t have 2 tags when he went to tag the first deer and surely by the second deer. He could have done the right thing and admitted it then and there and maybe even filmed the outcome for all to see if he was truly a sportsman.

Bob Beck since that time has made no attempt to publicly admit his wrong doing except for a half assed rebuttal in a small town radio interview that ran contradictory to his own court statements. If Bob Beck was good for our sport he would man up, admit his wrongs and take his lumps which he refused to do.

No way to spin that one except he is a poacher and a liar!

I've got some McMillans, but you can bet it will be the last as long as Bob Beck owns it.
I own several McMillan stocks, nearly all of them have now been discontinued! Honestly, I’ll likely never own another one anyway as the price for them has reached a point where I’m not willing to spend that much on a stock!

For less than $500 it “may” be a consideration. For the ridiculous prices the stocks are “selling” for today, I’ll pass. What makes this decision even easier is the accuracy of factory rifles with their factory synthetic stocks.

Adding a ridiculously priced McMillan, no matter how nice, will often not make them shoot any better. Tikka, Ruger, TC, Savage and many others have proven this.

Sadly, McMillan has priced themselves out of my consideration.
I've bedded in 2 McM stocks for other people about 30 years ago. IMO, they sucked then. Even then they were overhyped and overpriced, with much easier stocks to work on around, for less money, working just as well..

Just a flipping handle, anyway. PTBarnum rules!
Can't speak to the current crop,but have only been around a few hunnert McMillan stocks. That upon some rather sound rifles and McMillan simply has NO fhuqking equal,if only to the chagrin of Crying Karens everywhere. Nothing going further back than real M40A1 smears or newer than my last Vudoo's handle(Anny Sillywet). Hint.

Though in fairness,I've not opened up a parcel with a new synthetic handle,in nearly 10 fhuqking minutes...while opening up other mail. Ryan has likely been around a few stocks and has got a LOT of things very fhuqking right. I've got quite a few,if only because RHR doesn't fhuqk around and has 'em on the shelf. The new Outlander assuredly rates it's billing,though I'll probably not have scratches on it until tomorrow. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Would sure like to hear about these High Zoot Rifles that took Clueless Fhuqking Droolers for such a ride and how a McMillan stock whipped their ass! It is more than a "touch" handy to spec a fill weight,metal configuration and contour to connect dots,while boasting THE best patterns in the Industry. I heard a rumor,that a guy can even choose color(s)?!? Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

As per always,the heartfelt angst and copious tears of the CLUELESS are fhuqking hilarious...even if you gals need to make payments on sling studs! Hint.

Wow +P++!..................
I apologize for the delay between responses. I've learned that time off with family is precious and I don't violate that for anyone. I will do my best to respond to the comments made so far.

"Bob Beck was convicted of illegally killing an animal without a valid tag and failed to do the right thing and contact the warden in if it was an “accident” as he claims." - Mallard Addict

I've known Bob for quite a long time. I was president of Berger and a sponsor of his show when the situation you are referring to occurred. It was so long ago that I don't remember the details to be able to quote them to you. What I do know is that everyone who was a sponsor of Bob's show got the full story. We talked to each other. What I recall before hearing the facts is that I was going to have to pull our support from Bob's show. Poaching cannot be tolerated. After myself and all of the other sponsors got the facts, we understood that it was much ado about nothing. If every one of his sponsors stayed with him, are we all poachers and liars? Be careful not to judge too harshly.

"Although I appreciate you making an attempt to sell your side of things here, I'd suggest stepping away from your GM role and look at this from the customer perspective." -Technoman26

I work very hard to put myself in our customer's shoes every day. I know without any doubt that I am not perfect, that we are not perfect. We do the best we can with the situation in front of us. I offer that we've done far more good than harm over the years. I also know without any doubt that McMillan is deliberately working to get better at 3 things. 1. Product quality and consistency. 2. Customer experience and satisfaction 3. Employee development. I can't turn back the clock and undue where we have fallen short in the past. All I can do is tell you that we are listening and that we are taking this feedback seriously.

"How do you justify charging and additional $80-100 for a recoil pad? You guys sell a lot of stocks without recoil pads?" -Dogcatcher22

While we are working to strengthen McMillan and grow it to the next level, we are also doing what we can to minimize confusion. I will admit that the costing/pricing structure is, I'll use the word, puzzling. I will be open and share that McMillan is using software to run the operation that was custom built quite a long time ago. It is not easy or possible in some cases to get clear costing data. We are doing our best to analyze all of the available information and we are going through our process carefully to establish clear costing information. I can't answer your question today but I can tell you that I have consistently worked to produce healthy costing methods so that the operation can stay healthy and offer fair prices.

"I have a problem with an item doesn't it make sense to get it corrected and shipped asap?" -Boatboy

I agree completely. The vast majority of McMillan stocks are made and shipped out ahead of their estimated delivery time with no issues. The few exceptions are handled on a priority basis. Much of the time spent resolving an issue is spent on the shipping. Once the stock is in our hands it is immediately put into the resolution process which is an expedited process. It does happen occasionally that we need to address a stock more than once. It is our goal to prevent this but historically, it does happen. What I can promise you is that everyone inside the building is very proud to be here. We work hard every day to resolve any issues we've created. Nothing bothers us more than knowing we've made a mistake and that someone is waiting on us to correct it. We are all hunters and shooters too. We get it, very intimately. We are doing our best. I know that only time and more opportunities will give us a chance to prove this to you.

"All that being said I was very disappointed in the reduction in products and services offered. That is the whole point of a custom stock and to me the appeal of the McMillan being able to get something exactly the way you want it and I am willing to wait for it." -ldg397

This is one of the hardest decisions to execute but one of the easiest decisions to make. It is just a simple fact of the world that businesses live on products that move. It is common for 20% of a companies product to produce 80% of the companies revenue. In spite of our desire to be all things to all shooters we simply cannot run a healthy company if we continue to hold on to the infrastructure and processes needed to offer slow (and in many cases non) moving products.

When I was with Berger, at one point Berger offered, if memory serves, 12 different weights and shapes in 17 caliber bullets. I was one of the people who supported this approach. However, I had to learn some hard lessons about resource planning, production line balancing and inventory management. I can assure you that for McMillan to remain in business, this change must be made. McMillan's list of slow moving products is decades old. If you ever scratched your head over pricing and delivery, a significant portion of the root cause lies within the extensive amount of slow moving products. The benefit of this change will be slow to realize and some may never notice. I can assure you that this is a good thing for anyone who wants to see McMillan be successful.

"Kinda hope to hear more from you Eric." -Winchester88

I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere. I am a shooter and a family man. I believe my greatest skill is my ability to listen, really listen. The comments I am making are not intended to change anyone's mind. My point in posting here is so that you know that I am listening. There are many things upon which we are unlikely to agree. That is ok. I'm simply here to hear what you have to say. It affects me and I assure you that we are all working to do better, be better. All I ask for is patience and grace. I believe that if history is any teacher, McMillan is heading in a direction that will make many of you happy.

"Sir, short version. These are players, not fans. Be on the up and up with us. You and the company will be much better off if you do." -GeoW

My memory is not strong enough to be a successful liar. I can only tell you what I know and do my best to act on those plans. I think most will say that things worked out pretty well at Berger. I don't see any reason why that won't be the case at McMillan. Heck, it was great before I showed up. Not perfect (nothing is) but there is no question that McMillan is a great brand/product/company. All I have to do is listen, trust the great people who have been here for a while and tweak it in the right ways to get us all where we want to be.

"I've got some McMillans, but you can bet it will be the last as long as Bob Beck owns it." -sherm 61

I hope that isn't true. If you met Bob you would genuinely like him. Everyone I've know who has met him does.

"Adding a ridiculously priced McMillan, no matter how nice, will often not make them shoot any better. Tikka, Ruger, TC, Savage and many others have proven this. Sadly, McMillan has priced themselves out of my consideration." Dixie Rebel

I accept this perspective. Price is always a challenge when you make a high quality product. McMillan's aren't for everyone. However, those who buy them do so knowing that there is value and plenty of it. I would offer that a look over the landscape of high quality stocks suggests that we are not as out of alignment in price as some might think. Comparing price is difficult since there are several different techniques being used to make stocks. In the end, you will have to choose what is best for you and your budget.

"I've bedded in 2 McM stocks for other people about 30 years ago. IMO, they sucked then." -las

I hope you let us know back then that there was a problem and that we fixed it to your full satisfaction. I also hope that you give us another chance and I believe you will be happy you did.

Regards,
Eric Stecker

About all I have in the safe these days are McMillans. Never had an issue with them and service has been great. Best of luck with the new ownership team there.
About all I have in the safe these days are McMillans. Never had an issue with them and service has been great. Best of luck with the new ownership team there.

Truth kurt. 👍
I had a recent, great experience with McMillan. Top notch CS and I received exactly what I asked for.
Eric, thanks for making your self available.
With regards to the Hunter's edge stock for model 70's. I have many of these stocks and have been quite happy with them.
My earlier ones with a standard LOP and 1" pad came in from 22-25oz., last year the first one came in at 30 oz.
Rick set and back and it was replaced, but the replacement was still at 28oz. not quite worth the upcharge for edge technology.
What should we expect the weight to be of any future hunter's edge for model 70's to be?
Also, can you clarify what stocks are now available for the model 70?
You better wake up Eric, not everbody who meets Bob. Ask a well know Giude in the Yukon and others in Oregon.
I'm not throwing names around, its enough that I know and trust. Idaho F@G is one on the list

Same here. They’ve done nothing to me to wanna change. Polite folks on the phone, helpful, veteran friendly and have always delivered before their estimate.
Let me ask you a question Eric, is transporting illegally taking game across state lines a violation of the Lacy act?
I'd have a bigger issue buying an HS Precision actually.

https://www.americanfreepress.net/html/hires_mother_s_assassin_159.html
You KNOW she was typing that Vagina Monologue while wearing a mask,standing in fhuqking line for her vaccine and practicing her Wuhan Dialect! Hint. LAUGHING!

Couldn't wait and what were the "odds",that Ryan got yet another one right? Hint.

Might haveta' grab me another,inlet it M5 and build another 22 Fhuqking PPC Improved for 88's on the bitch,in Flyweight. You KNOW Crying Karen is Googling that. My big version of same,is Anti-Wuhan,which will probably get her Whining again. "Fairly" certain it's a McMillan to boot. Hint. LAUGHING!

Laughing!................
Stick, is the stock on top gun painted or molded in? I like it,
Painted and it's done rather well,as aesthetics go. Be curious to see how it holds up,but re-paint has never aspooked me. Hint.(grin)

Crying Karen musta' scored (3) Midol and 1000cc's of Vagisil for her usual locations,as the Vagina Monologue tapered off...the "lucky"" kchunt?!? I was worried,that I only had (1) McMillan. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Originally Posted by sherm_61
You better wake up Eric, not everbody who meets Bob. Ask a well know Giude in the Yukon and others in Oregon.
I'm not throwing names around, its enough that I know and trust. Idaho F@G is one on the list

Agreed. I met and visited with him, twice, at DSC over the past few years. He's an egotistical prick IMO, and wouldn't consider buying anything from him.
Erics version of Beck is like throwing perfume on a PIG!!
Barbed Wire Barbie and Crying Karen,you sure do Meltdown in Spectacular Fashion...you "lucky" kchunts! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Points awarded for the matching masks and tears fueled Mascara laced torrent,streaming your quivering lips. You Woke Whining Kchunts,are a fhuqking HOOT! Hint.

Bless your hearts,for almost being able to control your Estrogen Levels. Hint.

ALMOST!

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
LarryO!!! Aka bacon throat!! Your middle name should be “McMillan “!!! You hard charging kelpbed bear boat sluicing dummy you!!! Haha
Molded in colors hold up better under water. wink
'hunter,

I reckon a simplistic critique by me,has nudged countless checks McMillan's way,if only to the chagrin of Crying Karen's everywhere. Hint.

You might could be onto sumptin',as we do happen to get a thing called "weather" here,that's more than a touch handy for sorting wares out. As mentioned prior,McMillan simply has no equal,whether wet or dry. Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Ive tried to give one of these stocks a try but they no longer offer the inlets for many lefty rifles I own so its a no go. Someone else will get my dollars.
LarryO!!! Bacon throat, do the old McMillan owners know you on a first name basis? Liar Larry, the big mouth dummy gunsmith on pow? Do they still accept checks? Haha 😂😂
Theoldwhine,

I likely lament a few patterns that are no longer too. Hint.

What in particular are you looking for? Hint........................
Thank you to those who have kind words and happy experiences with McMillan. We will do our best to keep this going long into the future.

"With regards to the Hunter's edge stock for model 70's. I have many of these stocks and have been quite happy with them." -Handwerk

We are working literally every day to standardize our processes. The factors that affect stock weight are far more numerous than I understood before I started working here. The completely open answer to your question is that we don't know, yet. Our plan is to establish high confidence that we can hit and repeat a given weight range. Then we will be able to publish these weights. It is important to keep in mind that weight will be impacted by the fill type, action, bottom metal and barrel inlets but we plan on providing a range that will help shooters know what to expect.

"Also, can you clarify what stocks are now available for the model 70?" - Pabucktail

It is always best to call our customer service folks at 623-582-9635 to make sure all variations of your rifle are accounted for in our recommendations. To give you a list of all the stocks that we make that can handle the Model 70 they come in two groups.

1. Stocks that we make and will inlet: A3-5, A-5, Game Hunter, Game Scout, Game Warden, HTG, Hunter's Edge Sporter, Pre 64 Monte Carlo, Tooley MBR, and the Win Super Grade RH.
2. Stocks that we make but don't do the inlet: A-2, A-3, Hunter Class (BR), Lazzeroni Thumbhole RH, Marksman, McHale, McMillan Thumbhole, Win Classic, Win Express, Win Hunter, Win Model 70, Win Safari, Win Super Grade LH, and the Win Varmint.

"You better wake up Eric." Sherm 61 "Agreed. I met and visited with him, twice" JG Raider

It's been my experience that hate carried for someone is most impactful when it is let go. The object of anger doesn't know your burden (this is true with anyone). You alone suffer the load, needlessly since it bares no fruit. I've met a few egotistical pricks. Bob isn't one of them and I've known him too long to change my mind on that point.

Big Stick

I like where your heads at. LOL!!

Regards,
Eric
"Ive tried to give one of these stocks a try but they no longer offer the inlets for many lefty rifles I own so its a no go. Someone else will get my dollars." -Theoldpinecricker

Contact our customer service folks. We have strong connections with several top gunsmiths who are happy to do the inlet work we don't do anymore. We didn't discontinue these offering until we made sure that we had somewhere for our customers to go to get this work done.

Regards,
Eric
Eric,

Inletting is the EASY part,what I lament are moulds that are gone!(grin)

The Annie T-Hole Sillywet is simply sensational and I'd love to have a few in S/A 700 M5 inlets. 'Course I like these bitches too.

I reckon you boys will continue to do just fine,especially beings the path is lubricated so copiously,with Crying Karen Tears and Melting Snowflakes! Hint.

Laughing!...............
Contact our customer service folks. We have strong connections with several top gunsmiths who are happy to do the inlet work we don't do anymore. We didn't discontinue these offering until we made sure that we had somewhere for our customers to go to get this work done.

Regards,
Eric

I’ve personally talked to your customer service quite a few times over the past few weeks. Worst customer service I’ve ever dealt with. The edge stock is now at my gunsmith getting fixed. McMillan never offered anything for all the inconvenience they caused and waisted time.

Scott
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Eric,

Inletting is the EASY part,what I lament are moulds that are gone!(grin)

The Annie T-Hole Sillywet is simply sensational and I'd love to have a few in S/A 700 M5 inlets. 'Course I like these bitches too.

I reckon you boys will continue to do just fine,especially beings the path is lubricated so copiously,with Crying Karen Tears and Melting Snowflakes! Hint.

Laughing!...............

Ohhhh that’s the Annie Sillywet....Stick, you have a way with words... it’s like a little civil war era mixed with 19th century western and the creative vulgarity of a drill instructor. You have a gift...more youtube vids please
Originally Posted by winchester88

Regards,
Eric

I’ve personally talked to your customer service quite a few times over the past few weeks. Worst customer service I’ve ever dealt with. The edge stock is now at my gunsmith getting fixed. McMillan never offered anything for all the inconvenience they caused and waisted time.

Scott

Scott,

I am sorry that we weren't able to resolve your issue. We were prepared to do so but you've taken matters into your own hands. Let us know if you change your mind.

Regards,
Eric
Eric, sounds like you and this Bob clown are two peas in a pod.
I first noticed my Sako Classic hunter edge had a crack under the bolt handle. Turns out it was split the entire length of the barrel channel. CS referred me to McMillian employee Lynn Sell. I paid to ship it to them. Manufacturing flaw. They replaced the stock with color of my choice. From the day I shipped it to them until the day I got it back took 8 weeks. CS was outstanding from get go as was I.

Scott,

I am sorry that we weren't able to resolve your issue. We were prepared to do so but you've taken matters into your own hands. Let us know if you change your mind.

Regards,
Eric

Eric,
Why don’t make an attempt to talk to the paying customer, and get the story about the stocks. I will tell you how it was handled. And why should I have to send a stock back to McMillan THREE times? The stock will be fixed the first time by my gunsmith.

My number is on file at McMillan if you want to chat.
Just found out that they dont make the Sako 75 stocks any longer.

They should really REALLY update the website to show what they make.
What they inlet, and what they make but dont inlet.

The McHale stock disappeared from McMillans website months ago.. and now I find out they still make it?
While stocks they dont make any longer... are still on their website.
Used, they can be a bargain.

Last two I bought I found used here on the classifieds after placing an order. Simple to cancel the order and save $3-400 dollars.
There’s probably room for one more screw up to be tagged onto the end of this debacle. I ordered a HTG with 700 ADL inletting and it arrived with a big gaping BDL hole in the bottom of it. Pretty frustrating to say the least.
Was that all that was wrong. Curious about any other items not being what you specked. Color, LOP, inletting, etc
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Was that all that was wrong. Curious about any other items not being what you specked. Color, LOP, inletting, etc

Was that all that was wrong? Wha, what?
Got my McMillan edge model 70 short action in this week brown with a red pad.

They told me it would take 4 months it only took 3. So they lied!! 😂

Paint and pad is perfect came in at 25.2 oz. went over it with a fine tooth comb and everything seems to be great. They inletted for my bottom metal custom when i sent it in and it was returned with the stock. Being really picky only thing I could find is left side of barrel channel is a little tight but that is an easy fix when I bed it.

I must be getting lucky my 4th or 5th and no issues and exactly what I wanted.
Will mcmillan still refinish/paint old stocks? I have a Remington/ KS stock I'd like repainted.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

Was that all that was wrong? Wha, what?
Yeah, my thought too.

You know, all the guys that had good luck, that's great but when they screw up a stock up more than once, it gets pretty maddening pretty quickly. Not even a complicated stock order. A long action M70 Featherweight Edge Stock inlet for the same with factory contour.

Not to mention over charging a credit card by an extra zero...like a pair of stocks that should have been $1100 but got dinged $11K. Nice.
Good things only last so long.... I didnt read the entire thread but it sounds like the end of a good (but expensive) thing.
Looks like ol Bob Beck is tainting the McMillan name........
John Boy on here does a great job of repainting stocks. Highly recomend
Took 3 months to get this one in. Lefthand short action edge classic inlet for a Stiller but changed my mind and the ARC Nucleus drops right in too. Waiting for barrel and then this rig will be done. Not sure how many in a row that makes coming in perfect but double digits for sure. Hawkins DBM inlet was right on the money.

The first stock I ever ordered from mcmillan maybe 12+/- years ago was cracked along the edge of the action area into the barrel channel. I called and explained the problem. I sent it back and they replaced the stock. It took a little while, but it was perfect. I still have the rifle and will likely never get rid of it. Since then I’ve had at least a dozen stocks and they’ve all been as ordered and in or under the time window given. Kelly Mcmillan answered an email I’d responded to our an email mailer. I simply stated I’d like to have a Sako 75 Hunter pattern for a 75 (not the 700 the deal was for) he offered me a 20% discount with my specified colors. It shipped in about 3 months maybe. I thought that was pretty incredible. I do like McMillan stocks, but the direction they’ve headed and the price of their stocks now...I doubt I’ll ever buy another new one. I had a great experience with Tom Manners as well in a similar situation. I really like how stocks too!
No Bedding Required.... Why?
At McMillan, our stocks are inletted with extremely tight tolerances, and incorporate aluminum pillars. Our aluminum pillars are installed at the time of machining, being cut at a 1:1 ratio with the action inlet itself, resulting in phenomenal fit!
Benefit of Aluminum Pillars
Our aluminum pillars have a wall thickness of .065". They are locked in place with our inert fill material allowing for repeatable torque. Due to the side wall thickness of the pillars, there is no thermal expansion during firing, therefore no point of impact shifting or torque alterations.

I have to laugh at this email I received from McMillan. No it didn’t need bedding it needed a whole bunch of milling. I just want to thank LPR gunsmithing for fixing my McMillan stock since McMillan couldn’t even make it correctly
Sounds like a shame if that's the direction they've decided to take under new management/ownership.
I currently own six McMillan stocks, four purchased in the last 12 months. I can tell you from my experience that customer service was excellent, the stocks were all delivered within eight weeks of ordering. One was a Christensen Arms action and the inletting was just a bit off, I contacted them, they sent me a mailing label, I sent it off and had it back in a couple of weeks. Brown, AG, Manners et all seem very expensive to me but they are all similar in pricing to McMillan. I will order from them again as soon as I get sorted on which stock I need next.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Bob Beck is nothing but a freaking clown, a clueless one at that.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Bob Beck is nothing but a freaking clown, a clueless one at that.

Agreed, but his wife is such a little hottie!
I have 7 or 8 mcmillans and have traded away a similar number of them. Im very happy with them, but at today’s price point, I’m done with them. Lots of other good options.
GOOD:

Mine took just 5 months. Came in Yesterday, It was the first component to show up for my new 6mmBR. It is also a custom marble pattern.

BAD:

it was the WRONG INLET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they made it long action instead of short. They are going hane the new one done in about 3 weeks.

SO, if anyone wants a long action, being returned. Call Them. Get you a deal.
Man, haven’t hung out on the fire much in months. I come back and find McMillan is struggling.
It seems from the comments that their reputation was built on craftsmanship rather than well defined product specs and processes, Those defined specs and processes are absolutely necessary for use in training, quality control etc… as businesses grow and new employees are brought in. Tribal knowledge can only carry it so far.

I’ll watch with interest as I may be looking for a couple of new stocks soon.
This is all very interesting. I've only bought one stock from McMillan. I drove up to their plant just north of Phoenix and asked if they had a stock for an M98 FN Mauser I had. There had one a customer had ordered and then cancelled. I tried the fit and it was god so I bought it. The year was 1988. I bought another at a gun show I put on a short action Ruger tang safety M77. Ugly bulky club but I use it as a bad weather gun. I have two Winchester M70s that appear to have McMillan stocks from the Winchester factory. One an XTR and the other a Walmart special. Both extremely accurate and would be some of the last I would ever sell.
I probably would never buy another McMillan stock because one I can't afford the expense and two I'm just about too damned old to do another serious hunt of any kind.
Paul B.
© 24hourcampfire