Home
Posted By: 65BR 6mm CM - 02/20/21
Curious who's hunting deer, etc. with this round.

No doubt about the equal of a 243, but IIRC, JB was doing one with a fast twist, playing with heavies.

Anyone?
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6mm CM - 02/20/21
Man, I carried mine a tiny bit this year but never took a deer with it. Can’t see it being any different than all of the 243’s thatve worked so well over the years.

I’m using the plain old 105 Hornady in mine at around 3100’ish. Great little cartridge though.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6mm CM - 02/20/21
I've shot about a dozen deer with the 103 ELD-X and a handful with both the 105 VLD & 95 LRX.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: 6mm CM - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by SKane
I've shot about a dozen deer with the 103 ELD-X and a handful with both the 105 VLD & 95 LRX.

Were they rendered sufficiently dead?
Posted By: colodog Re: 6mm CM - 02/20/21
I'll try to test one this fall, loaded with the bullets I have on hand. 80gr GMX , 90gr Speer HotCores or 100gr Hornady BTSP.
I don't need any more power than that for anything I'll be hunting here on the farm.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6mm CM - 02/20/21
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Laffin' - yes sir - every one of them.
Though the ELD-X sure makes a mess of things when launched into the running gears. No beefs with the terminal results - just when processing the deer. laugh
Posted By: hillestadj Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

Though the ELD-X sure makes a mess of things when launched into the running gears. No beefs with the terminal results - just when processing the deer. laugh

I want one - just don't know what I want the platform to be.....
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

Barrett if you can find one.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

Use a .243 A.I. 1x8 twist . and I kill more than a few deer and other critters,every year, mostly use 105 Scenar, kills like lighting. I have a couple of friend's that shoot 6mm creed's , we can't tell which is better in the field, on the range the A.I. has a small edge. Rio7
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
Third season for mine. No cigar for me, but my son DRT’d a doe with it using a 95gr LRX. All I’ve killed with it is a pair of unfortunate red foxes. Fieldcraft.

No significant advantage for hunting over a .243 or 6mm Remmy using the bullets most shoot deer with, unless you count the ammo that’s available now. Still, the FC is a pretty nice rifle. Glad I didn’t miss out. I bought a nice .243 after I bought the FC, then another 6CM.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
I started using a 105 vld hunting this past season for doe culling, they work awesome. Furthest was 360 yards, drop her right there.
Posted By: AKduck Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
I’ve two Kimbers in 6 creed. Both shoot the 108 well and have whacked deer with ease the last few years. Can’t see needing anything else.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
I’ve used one for 5 years I guess. All I’ve shot into deer have been the 105 Hornadys. I don’t have anything bad to about killing deer with it/them. I’ve probably killed 10-15 deer with it. Doe mostly because I mostly kill does.

RIO7 has killed more with 6mm’s in a day than some of us do in years put together so I couldn’t help but order a pretty good helping of the 105 scenars when the Hornadys dried up.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
I've had a couple 6 creeds 2 were 1 in 7 the one I have now is a 1 in 8.

My son and I shot 5 or 6 deer with the 105 hornady bthp and it worked very well.

Last year we both used it exclusively and he killed 3 does with it I killed a doe and a large mature buck with it and I took it to Wyoming where it killed 2 doe antelope, 1 buck antelope, a mature mule deer buck and a bunch of coyotes.

All the above was with the 105 scenar at ranges from 90 yards to 425 yards. The rifle and cartridge did great but I found the scenar to be a pretty hard bullet that killed a lot faster when it catches some bone.

All and all, the 6 creed has became a favorite of mine for sure
Posted By: SKane Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

There were few offerings when I got mine so I went the build route.

I'm on the wait list for this factory offering:
https://www.springfield-armory.com/...mm-creedmoor-rifle-adjustable-evergreen/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Seekins Havak would have been the easy button but I can't stomach the barrel spiralling/flutes. It also makes it a PITA to chop it to 19-20" where I could pair with a can.

Posted By: Dude270 Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

The Seekins Havak would have been the easy button but I can't stomach the barrel spiralling. It also makes it a PITA to chop it to 19-20" where I could pair with a can.

That Springfield checks a lot of boxes.

I'm with you on the havak, I'd have one in 6 creedmoor and 6.5 prc if it weren't for those flutes. I just can't get past them.

My current 6 creed is a bighorn origin with a bartlien 2b in a hunters edge. I'm really happy with it
Originally Posted by Dude270

My current 6 creed is a bighorn origin with a bartlien 2b in a hunters edge. I'm really happy with it

That one sounds pretty cool. Mine is a Bartlein #3 on a 700. It's a bit of a tank in the Grayboe stock and could stand a diet (just like its owner). whistle
Posted By: aalf Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

That Springfield will be a tank also when you top it with a decent ring, base, and scope....

And my 6CM's are stamped 6x47 Lapua..... grin
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
I think I only have(4) 243 Kreed's,but think rather highly of the chambering. Hint.

Newest is on the money,in all regards.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Mainly flinging 110 Sugar's at 3K fps,ala 2.940" COAL magfed Smooches. It's longer throated than my 243 Win version of same,but plays rather nice with a smattering of 105/08's and 10's. Hint.

Tough to beat the Hornie 105 HPBT for Utility and Killing schit dead.

Hint....................
Originally Posted by aalf

And my 6CM's are stamped 6x47 Lapua..... grin

LOL. I know, I know......

Originally Posted by aalf
That Springfield will be a tank also when you top it with a decent ring, base, and scope....

Thermal going on top of that one - weight isn't too big of a concern.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

Been halfway eyeing those Waypoints, just not my style.

If Kimber would chamber one in a Montana or Tikka would stop being hoes and chamber it in a Lite/Superlite they could just have my money. So simple....
Posted By: JohnChilds Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
https://proofresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Elevation-TFDE-Profile-Right-for-website.png

I’ve got one in this rifle. Shoots extremely well and is a joy with my Deadair Nomad Ti. It’s been sub minute with everything I shoot through it, and often close to 1/2 minute with 5 shot groups.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by JohnChilds
https://proofresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Elevation-TFDE-Profile-Right-for-website.png

I’ve got one in this rifle. Shoots extremely well and is a joy with my Deadair Nomad Ti. It’s been sub minute with everything I shoot through it, and often close to 1/2 minute with 5 shot groups.

Those look pretty sharp.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
Man guys, you folks making me want a new toy! NEVER had a bad shooting 6 bore! Here in LA, Deer and Hogs about the largest game we hunt, think they closed Black Bear in the Atchafala swamp and that may have been bow only.

If I had a choice of the same rifle and a case of good ammo, a 6CM might trump the 6.5, purely from a trajectory and light recoil standpoint. Love 6.5's, but the 6's never let me down when I did my part. 400 yds on deer with a 6BR sealed the deal, many either side of that from BR's and 243s.

I see one difference, many 6CM shooters may well choose 103 and heavier bullets must because factory twists will handle them, and factory ammo.

No doubt many other similar 6mm rounds that will do very similar, given an appropriate twist. Did Barrett make the 6CM OEM with 7 ROT ?

Good feedback gang, and nice pics as well. Skane, is that a 32 objective? Nice package.

Nice speeds you guys are getting too. I do like the shoulder on the CM, trimmed a few 243 brass back in the day, and admit, never felt handicapped using my 6BRs on anything from sparrows thru deer. Having a repeat feed CM to me trumps the BR, if running a bolt, unless one has a smooth feed BR repeater.

I do see the 6CM being used by the 'Looniest' of the Loonies smile

Aalf, do tell of your field experience with the twin, in 6L
Posted By: aalf Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21
Originally Posted by 65BR
Aalf, do tell of your field experience with the twin, in 6L

Nothing to tell that hasn't been written in the past.

Despite the multitudes of 6x47 Lapuas I've put together, I've never taken one deer hunting.

Except for one put together as a LR plinker, they have all been designated as coyote wackers.

No big deal to hit 3K with a 105 class bullet.

My 26" gun runs 105 Hybrids at 3125.

#1 coyote gun runs 105 VLD's at 3030.

Built a 20" mountain gun that ran right at 3K.

Nothing wrong with a Crapmore, but the 47 is a viable option if you aren't spooked about lack of factory ammo.

Posted By: kingston Re: 6mm CM - 02/21/21

The Seekins Havak would have been the easy button but I can't stomach the barrel spiralling/flutes. It also makes it a PITA to chop it to 19-20" where I could pair with a can.

That looks like it'd be a blast.

I'm building a 6XC on a Archimedes, T2AGAP, Bartlein M24, Hawkins M5 DBM, TTDiamond, but it's not really a hunting rifle, I considered having a 22" Proof Sendero spun up at the same time, but we'll see.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 6mm CM - 02/22/21

I imagine it works like a .243 as I hunted this year with the 6 Creedmoor. I actually put together two of them this last year. Unfortunately, I didn't find any deer worth shooting. I did a CO high country mule deer hunt with a Howa barreled action I bought off of Brownell's for $250 and dropped it in an Alpine stock and all up it weighed in at 7.5 lbs. Then I was going to hunt OK with a suppressed custom 18" barrel Savage rifle. I wound up sitting in a blind with a 10 year old and let him shoot the deer we saw, great time had and no regrets leaving my rifle behind.

I'm shooting 105 gr BTHP Hornady and 90 gr LRX Barnes factory ammunition, getting 2700-2800 fps respectively out of the 18" Savage and 2900-3000 fps out of the 22" Howa. The 6 Creedmoor was designed for shooting heavies from the get go. My Savage has a 7" twist barrel and my Howa a 7.5" twist.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6mm CM - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by kingston

I'm building a 6XC on a Archimedes, T2AGAP, Bartlein M24, Hawkins M5 DBM, TTDiamond, but it's not really a hunting rifle, I considered having a 22" Proof Sendero spun up at the same time, but we'll see.

Sounds like a great list of ingredients! Cool chambering too.
Posted By: Hudge Re: 6mm CM - 02/22/21

Been halfway eyeing those Waypoints, just not my style.

If Kimber would chamber one in a Montana or Tikka would stop being hoes and chamber it in a Lite/Superlite they could just have my money. So simple....

I don’t think I could get my wallet out quick enough if they would chamber in 6CM. I’d definitely buy one.
Posted By: AKduck Re: 6mm CM - 02/22/21
I’m getting 3050ish out of 108s in two 21” Kimbers. Kids have no issue with it and the deer drop like they were poleaxed.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6mm CM - 02/22/21
I've used it a lot in the past 7-8 years. Have taken mule deer, whitetail, elk, antelope, and black bear with it.

All of my 6CM's are 1-7.5", and I shoot the heavies, 105 Hybrids, 108 ELD-M's, and 110 Atips.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6mm CM - 02/23/21
Excellent feedback folks.

Scenar, did you wear a barrel out? I know you throw quite a bit of lead.

Some good performance folks. I ran 105s at a modest 2850 - in a 26" custom #1 Ruger, in a BR. Shot under 1/2" at 330 yds for 3 shots one calm morning.

Yes Aalf, the 47L is a great round. Geraci who is in the Hall of Fame for BR used it the last time we talked.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 6mm CM - 02/23/21
Did Barrett make the 6CM OEM with 7 ROT ?

Yep.
Posted By: scenarshooter Re: 6mm CM - 02/23/21
Excellent feedback folks.

Scenar, did you wear a barrel out? I know you throw quite a bit of lead.

Some good performance folks. I ran 105s at a modest 2850 - in a 26" custom #1 Ruger, in a BR. Shot under 1/2" at 330 yds for 3 shots one calm morning.

Yes Aalf, the 47L is a great round. Geraci who is in the Hall of Fame for BR used it the last time we talked.

Four barrels to be exact.... You'll get 2000-2500 rounds, depending on how hot you load, and how fast you shoot.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6mm CM - 02/24/21
That's not too bad, my first 243 may not have lasted that long......but that was a fair amount of shooting, a few years for me.

Great feedback everyone. So Scenar is your 6CM getting much play these days or the hot 6.5 you were using awhile back?

I cannot keep up with you, Aalf and others with all the builds.
Posted By: Blacktails Re: 6mm CM - 02/24/21
So, what is the consensus best twist for a 6cm? I've been thinking of building one primarily for an easy shooting bench gun, but that might see some limited deer time if I wanted.
Posted By: devnull Re: 6mm CM - 02/24/21
Originally Posted by Blacktails
So, what is the consensus best twist for a 6cm? I've been thinking of building one primarily for an easy shooting bench gun, but that might see some limited deer time if I wanted.

7.5 twist will get it done with just about anything out there.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 6mm CM - 02/24/21
Originally Posted by Blacktails

I wouldn't go slower than a 1-8" twist buying a complete rifle, ordering a barrel 1-7.5" or faster. I've never found myself wishing for a slower twist, but there have been a couple of times I've wished for faster.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6mm CM - 02/25/21
Agreed, any 6mm and 6.5mm I build, will have an 8 twist, or perhaps a 7.5.

Had 8 twist 6BRs shoot in the 1s and 2s with LIGHT bullets.......at 200 yds.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: 6mm CM - 02/26/21
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My Howa likes the Hornady 105 hpbt. I stretched her out on this doe at about 40 yards. Bang flop. First season with it, but I'm looking forward to more.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 6mm CM - 02/26/21
I took a little buck at about 450 yards last year with my fieldcraft wearing a SS 3-9. I was shooting a 108 eldm over H4350 at a sedate 2920 fps IIRC. That load has shot right around 1/4 moa multiple times.

The buck was quartering away and at a fast walk but I had a decent rest over a wide gate fence post about like a railroad tie so I took the shot. It hit back of the ribs in the liver and went up though the lungs and stopped under the hide on top of the off shoulder.

The bullet looked great at about 1/2 inch in diameter and I think it weighed about 72 grains. It was a nice full mushroom but made me wonder how bad it would detonate on a closer shot.

I haven't done much for load development yet. I started with the 108 over H4350 and loaded 4 rounds of each of about 4 different charge weights. I shot 1 each over the chrony to find pressure and then shot 1 three shot group with each because I was already at the range.

One of the lighter loads went 1/4 moa. I went home and loaded more of that load and more on the hottest load. The lighter load shot more groups right at 1/4 moa and the hotter one went about 1 moa. I knew it was a soft bullet and the scope has dials so I ran with the slow load for now.

I've got a howa 6 creed too but haven't shot it yet. I've always been a 6mm fan. I started with a 6mm rem in a 700 bdl and took my first deer with that. One of my first full customs is a 243 with an 8 twist brux light Palma. I used to shoot a lot of long range rock chucks with 105 amaxes and a few deer with 105 vlds with the 243.

I went to 243 at the time because the case is superior to the 6 rem on a short action. The 6 creed is even better than the 243 and comes twisted right on factory guns.

Bb
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6mm CM - 02/26/21
Rick nice pic - enjoy that venison! How do you like the rifle, and tell me about the Burris - that a IV, what model/reticle? Thanks.

BB - I agree, had 243s and 6mm, and as good as they are, I see the CM as being better yet. Results above show they leave nothing behind that I can see. Today's bullets with appropriate twists makes a great pairing. Short of anything for competition, I may well try a CM, and surely will over a BR. Had many BRs and they all were phenomenally accurate.......but 1/4 MOA, good feeding in factory guns, with an option of factory loads that match the twist rates.......is a recipe for success.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: 6mm CM - 02/26/21
65BR,

I am enjoying the rifle. It was a brownells barreled action that I bedded into a weatherby griptonite stock. I bought a few factory loads many of which will only shoot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. But the Hornady black with 105 hpbt will put 5 in a nickel. I just started some hand loads and have a load with 105 scenars that shoot as well. I like the rifle, especially for the $400 I have in it.

The scope is a burris IV with the illuminated balistic e3 reticle. The glass isn't great, but I like the reticle and illumination. I moved it to another rifle and just put a swfa 3-9 MQ on it. I'm hoping to try some longer range dialing stuff here soon. Hoping I ain't too old to learn.
Posted By: VernAK Re: 6mm CM - 02/26/21
I've got two FCs in 6cm.....one is suppressed. When I bought the first one, I bought a box of Hornady 108 ELDM and they shot
1/2" out of the new barrel. I about duplicated that load with RL16 and haven't looked back. The 108 can be destructive on coyotes
but I found it perfect for the two wolves called in. DRT with no exit holes at 200 and 300 yards. I may try it on caribou in August.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6mm CM - 03/02/21
Good info Rick and Vern, thanks for the input by all. Given the results so far, I expect to see more field reports by next season.
Posted By: Wesley2 Re: 6mm CM - 03/04/21

No doubt about the equal of a 243, but IIRC, JB was doing one with a fast twist, playing with heavies.

Anyone?

All the factory 6CM ares fast twist. I have 4 and have killed 12 or so deer with them over the past 2 years.

Most killed with factory HSM 90gr gamechangers and a few with the Barnes LRX. Shots ranged from 40 yards to 436.

Had exits on all but 2 and they were sharp angles. None traveled more than 30 yards and the blood trails were good.

I see zero need for a bigger gun for Whitetails inside of 500 yards.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 6mm CM - 03/04/21
Wesley I agree - not familiar with those two 6mm projectiles but they are handling business!

Congrats and thanks for the post.
© 24hourcampfire