Home
I’m thinking of selling a few of my rifles, and putting together one good custom rifle for most of my hunting(not that there’s anything wrong with what I currently have). Contemplating a Borden, just because I’ve always wanted a rifle with my name on it. However, I’m struggling with what to get it chambered in. I hunt elk and mule deer out west almost every year, and hunt deer and bear in PA. Shots out to 800 yards are possible, but would rarely be taken. 500 and under is the norm. If you had to settle on one cartridge for those animals and distances, what would it be? I hand load, so am open to anything. Short action, long action, magnums, etc. What say you?
I'd look at a 7 Rem Mag myself, twisted correctly and topped with a great piece of glass that weighs 8lbs loaded and ready to hunt!
280 of some variant or 30/06 , maybe a 300 WM
For 500 and under, most cartridges would work. For the short-action standards, the 7mm-08 with a decent bullet would work. It kills beyond what you’d think. I’ve seen some pretty competent shooters do just fine with it and not have to deal with lots of recoil.

I have used the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag and they work great. I tend to prefer heavier for caliber bullets. 160+ gr in 7mm and 180+ gr in the 300.

Bullet choice and rifle/optic setup would concern me more than raw power. Bullet drop is the easiest variable to account for.
“Contemplating a Borden, just because I’ve always wanted a rifle with my name on it.”

Do it! That’s as good a reason as I’ve heard in a while - plus Jim is good people.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I'd look at a 7 Rem Mag myself, twisted correctly and topped with a great piece of glass that weighs 8lbs loaded and ready to hunt!

7 mag will get it done but I prefer my 300 win mag or 338 win mag. For elk I just like a big bullet I’d possible.

Winner winner
Originally Posted by asheepdog

7 mag will get it done but I prefer my 300 win mag or 338 win mag. For elk I just like a big bullet I’d possible.

Ain’t nothing wrong with either of those either. I just know he asked for using it back East for deer and black bear.
.308norma mag
280 AI or a 7RM would be great choices. Heck, a 30-06 makes a great all-rounder as well.
For elk I just like a big bullet I’d possible.

texans.........
6.5 PRC. If this is a rifle you would need to load for prior to next season, brass and bullet availability may be a concern for whatever chambering you choose.
As the saying goes: "what you've got is usually a lot less important than what you can do with it."
I’m leaning hard towards a 280 AI. Any reason not to?
No
Originally Posted by borden811

Nope, none that I could think of.
Of those mentioned, there is no wrong answer, particularly the 280AI. I personally would lean towards something that has quality factory loads if you ever find yourself too busy to handload (yea, I know nothing is really available today). Because 30-06 is so under loaded by the factory’s, I’d lean away from it even though I love it. Personally, I’d go with one of the 300 mags. FWIW, I’ve always found Weatherby ammo to meet or exceed advertised velocities. If you go that route, make sure your throat has sufficient freebore. Finally, I’ve become a real fan of the WSM cartridges. My favorite of the bunch is the 270 flavor. Personally, I’d feel comfortable with 150s at 3100+ to 500yds on elk, but not further.
7 mag 300 mag 280 AI

any of them. Get the best glass you can afford.
Got a couple nightforce, a Leupold vx5, a swaro and a Kahles laying around, so glass isn’t an issue. Just looking for my best bet for an all around performer, in a lightweight accurate platform.
I have a kimber MA .280ai with a 3.5-18x44mm vx6hd. Weighs 7lbs. Not sure what velocity/energy would be like at 800.
Have Jim build you a 300 wsm on his Ridgeline action. ADG is coming out with 300 wsm brass this year.

Only possible reason is that in the event you find factory ammo for both 280 and 280AI, the AI is going to be about $10-12 more expensive. But if you're going to reload for them, moot point.
All suggestions are sound ones, but there is nothing a 7mm can do that a custom 270 WCF can’t. In addition it’s easier on barrels, a 22-inch barrel will give magnum velocities without carrying more weight, and thousands of elk size game have been dropped by a 270 WCF.
308 win
If I were spending for a premium custom hunting rig, I would want it in my favorite caliber .308 or 30-06 with 22" barrels, even if I already had these calibers.

From your posts, it seems at this point in time your favorite caliber is .280 AI and you could order it in any barrel length you want to handle and carry.
Happy hunting
I’ve been toying with the same basic idea. Sell a bunch of rifles I don’t need and get one really nice rifle with the proceeds. I’ve been thinking about a Ruger 77 African in .275 Rigby. If I sold some rifles, I’d have some alpha glass to choose from, too. Very interesting.
Happy Trails
800 yards with a sporter weight rifle??????
When I put my latest rifle together for just such usage as you're considering I went with the 280 AI and happy I did.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Yep
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Yep

My guidance is, get closer.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
For elk I just like a big bullet I’d possible.

texans.........

LOL! That made me snort.

I don't have much to suggest. I like the .270 and .30-06, .280 AI splits the difference. I'd probably get a good production rifle in the weight range you want slap good optics on top and go hunting. With what's being made today, I can't build a rifle as cheap as I can buy one since I've drifted to the lighter weight rifles.
6.8 western........just had to say it.
© 24hourcampfire