Home
Posted By: remm120777 Remington Market - 02/24/21
will the Remington market normalize again? Thoughts?
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
What do you mean, exactly?
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
Some 700s are going for insane prices right now.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
Never in the history of US mankind have so many realized that they were lacking in firearms, ammo, and reloading equipment. What is a shame is that it takes idiot commie democrats coming into political power to make them understand that. So now all of a sudden there is competition for the beer and pizza money. One only has to look at the online auction prices of today to see that yes there are a lot of idiots in the general population. Mb
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
Originally Posted by Jason280
What do you mean, exactly?

+P
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Some 700s are going for insane prices right now.

Yes, but as of right now, they're not making any, so that's driven the price up. Also, despite what the Remington haters like to say, this speaks very highly about the popularity of the rifle.
Posted By: iskra Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
Remington the firm, was gutted with the bankruptcy sale. Assets were dispersed. The "Remington" brand name may be applied to whatever the purchasers wish. The best description of "Remington market" is perhaps the millions of used guns. While I'd be surprised if the name wasn't reinvented in "gun" context, quite possibly in "gun stuff" first. The Remington hit will continue with recent owners (last decade particularly) with inferior products and those yet within normal warranty period as 'no recourse'. They are simply "unsecured creditors" whose warranty claims as many other claimants, were discharged in bankruptcy. The skilled employees capable of making such repairs, gone with the wind. Anyone making guns under the Remington name, will have the uphill battle of a half generation of disappointed/angry owner recollections to overcome along with the negative PR! The aside, Marlin with something of the same situation, yet different in that Marlin product shortcomings often blamed on parent Remington. Moreover, Ruger, something of gold standard company of reputation, backing... Marlin will live again! smile
In the meantime, in-between times... Some really great Remingtons of old, waiting in the wings!
Best & Stay Safe.
John
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
Somebody will build the Remington firearms that have sold well, 'cause the rights to build them will be mutually beneficial to whoever leases the rights and whoever owns the rights.

Winchester has never been the same as it was in New Haven, so why would anyone think that the reconstituted Remington will be anything like the Remington that was in Ilion?

Ruger seems to have a better than average handle on the sporting firearms market and that leads me to believe that they will do an equally good job of managing the new Marlin.
Posted By: 222ND Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
700’s will stay high until the new ones hit the shelf. Till then, anyone wanna buy a Remington?
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
I prefer tikka over Remington and had a couple rifles built on the T3 action, better triggers also. I have Remington rifles but they are nothing special and the xmark trigger is junk. The Bergara I picked up seems to be good quality also. A lot of other options beside Remington.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Remington Market - 02/24/21
Originally Posted by asheepdog
I prefer tikka over Remington and had a couple rifles built on the T3 action, better triggers also. I have Remington rifles but they are nothing special and the xmark trigger is junk. The Bergara I picked up seems to be good quality also. A lot of other options beside Remington.

The Remington 700 action design is proven beyond all doubt for accuracy builds. That you prefer others, has zero bearing on this topic. Cheerios.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Remington Market - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

The Remington 700 action design is proven beyond all doubt for accuracy builds. That you prefer others, has zero bearing on this topic. Cheerios.

Beat me to it.....
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Remington Market - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by remm120777

Not until they start building them again.

M700–the new millennium’s version of the pre-64 M70.....
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Remington Market - 02/25/21
Pre-21 Remington... The World has gone to hell!
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Remington Market - 02/25/21

Amen.
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Remington Market - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Beat me to it.....

Yeah, remington will be back. There, fixed it for the sensitive crowd.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Remington Market - 02/25/21
Information I have been picking up here and there is that Remington was bought up by an outfit named Round Hill LLC from the bankruptcy and their plan is to have Remington rifles back on store shelves by the end of April... this may or may not be optimistic, but many of the original employees were retained in the purchase from what I have been hearing. Hopefully, this buyer won't rape and pillage the company as the last couple holding companies have and will bring them back around to what they once were.... cross your fingers...

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Bob
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Remington Market - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by remm120777

Not until they start building them again.

M700–the new millennium’s version of the pre-64 M70.....

Nope, Remingtons are junk just like Leupold scopes, McMillans and Talley are because the Campfire says so. And we all know the Campfire consensus is always right.

Whatever the Campfire consensus is means you sell off your crappy equipment because it won't help you kill an elk and you will ultimately fail.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/25/21

Beat me to it.....

Yeah, remington will be back. There, fixed it for the sensitive crowd.

Where's Jack Belk for ya? World's most greatest authority on all rifles especially Remingtons! After him I would look up the experts on the old Hunt America forums. Way back Machine is your friend.

Let's all hope Remington fails big time and we don't ever have to read or see any successful hunters toting those POS Remington 700s or Model 7s. Fricken garbage firearms by Big Green, what a frigging joke!
You guys are lying to yourselves if you think an M700 is cutting edge. There is nothing innovative about their bolts or actions. So many better options these days. ...
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/25/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
You guys are lying to yourselves if you think an M700 is cutting edge. There is nothing innovative about their bolts or actions. So many better options these days. ...

Okay. Mr. Expert.............tell us why the Remington Model 700 is still the number one choice for custom built rifles.
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/25/21

^^^^^^

Dead on, Rem 700s bolts cost him trophy bucks and bulls! Not to mention all the hang fires on yotes in zero temps. 👎👎👎

Tell em Dogcatcher! Rem 700s are junk!

How innovative do they need to be? Groups can only get so small and pressures can only go so high.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
I am a big fan of 700's!
When I see a nice BDL, I think that is one classy and it's going to be an accurate rifle to boot. But then I have plenty of wood stocked ADL's too. The 700's I did not care for was the early synthetic stocked ones. Those stocks didn't even make good firewood.
I see in the classifieds that some people think a 700 can be made into a BDL by adding a floorplate to a newer synthetic stock model.
To me the best 700's were made before 1990 to the most part - exceptions to this however.
Originally Posted by Bugger
I am a big fan of 700's!
When I see a nice BDL, I think that is one classy and it's going to be an accurate rifle to boot. But then I have plenty of wood stocked ADL's too. The 700's I did not care for was the early synthetic stocked ones. Those stocks didn't even make good firewood.
I see in the classifieds that some people think a 700 can be made into a BDL by adding a floorplate to a newer synthetic stock model.
To me the best 700's were made before 1990 to the most part - exceptions to this however.

The 700 BDL Varmint Special, 700 Classic, and Mountain Rifle (wood/blue/floorplate), and 700 KS are my favorites.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21

Could you list the better options and what makes them better?

I have come to think of the Remington 700 as being to amateur gun builders what the small block Chevy engines are to amateur car builders in that both are common, there is a wide variety of after-market parts to satisfy a broad spectrum of interests and objectives, and a lot of public knowledge about what works and how to do it.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it is... I guess some guys just need something to hate on....

I've owned remingtons for over 50 years now and had very little problem with them. Certainly no more problems than I have had with Winchesters that I have owned.... and they have always been at least as accurate and reliable as any other rifle I have owned or hunted with for all that time.

I sent a Remington Factory "R" action to Shaen to build my last rifle- a 26 Nosler. I had him check it out closely before barreling and chambering to be sure it was straight and true before committing. He told me it was so close it needed almost nothing to barrel it as the action was straight, true, and so close to spec it didn't need any machining before barrel install. Like all my other Remingtons, it shot great when I got it back just like I expected it to...

Bob
Posted By: wink_man Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
Haters always gonna hate !!!!!

I just can't see hating any brand, simply preferring one more than others.

Remington was doing fine with their own products, and then companies like Cerberus Holding bought them, adding others to them that Remington didn't need to stay profitable and ultimately drained and bankrupted them.

Remington will be back, I'm sure and will be profitable again if they stay on track and produce the guns that made them profitable in the past. Let's face it, if the haters want to believe it or not, if Remington didn't produce reliable and accurate rifles and shotguns, and not just limited to the 700, then why are Remingtons bringing the inflated prices they are bringing today and buyers glad to get their hands on them?

They are the only company that produces a pump rifle in the higher intensity calibers, the 7600, better known as the Amish machine gun in these parts and despite what the haters say the 740, 742, and 7400 Jamomatics function just fine if you keep the gun and chamber clean, I have never had a problem with mine.

If they get back in business and simply produce the products that made them profitable in the past, I would bet they wouldn't be able to meet the demand in the first year, inflated prices and demand on their existing older products convince me of that.

Just produce the venerable 700, Model 7, 7600, 7400, the 870, 1100, 1187 and a variety of 22 rimfires in various actions and they'll do just fine.

The skilled craftsmen are in the Ilion area, waiting to go back to work, many 3rd and 4th generation.
When the quality of the product went down hill, it was due to cost cutting on the part of the holding companies. Hopefully the new owners will understand that and do it the right way this time.
Posted By: EdM Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
To think I am going to take a M700 338-06 rebore done in '93 to BC this fall for 16 days to chase goat, moose and elk...
Originally Posted by EdM
To think I am going to take a M700 338-06 rebore done in '93 to BC this fall for 16 days to chase goat, moose and elk...

Now that sounds like a great trip!
Posted By: Rambler214 Re: Remington Market - 02/26/21
We just have to try to live with and get by with our junk the best we can guys...

Maybe some day I can get one of those much better options.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
"despite what the haters say the 740, 742, and 7400 Jamomatics function just fine if you keep the gun and chamber clean, I have never had a problem with mine"

If you keep them clean they work fine until the guide rails get damaged and the guide rails almost always seem to get damaged. Ahlman's used to rebuild 740/742 series rifles with damaged guide rails as pump actions.
Posted By: RGK Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
I feel really bad that I bought this one...a 700 C-grade in .25-06. One of the last 700s to leave the custom shop before they closed. Sorry, but I like it.
And it's a superb shooter
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Motown Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by Rambler214
We just have to try to live with and get by with our junk the best we can guys...

C Grade?
Posted By: RGK Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by Motown

C Grade?

Looks like it...probably a 70's-era rifle. Nice stick of wood.
Bob
Posted By: CRS Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by EdM

Oh man, that is NEVER going to work. wink
Originally Posted by RGK

C Grade?

Bob

Yep. 1969 C grade.
Originally Posted by RGK
I feel really bad that I bought this one...a 700 C-grade in .25-06. One of the last 700s to leave the custom shop before they closed. Sorry, but I like it.
And it's a superb shooter
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Seems odd that the custom shop would put the bolt on the wrong side.... wink
No better firearm designs have made than the venerable Remington model 700 and the model 870.....Millions have been sold and the market is still there. They will be back 👍👍......Hb
Posted By: Motown Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by RGK

C Grade?

Bob

Yep. 1969 C grade.

She’s pertty! RGK you were damn close on that 70’s era! Lol
Posted By: wink_man Re: Remington Market Is Junk - 02/26/21
And they also made some non 700 junk that I try to live with. It's tough, but someone has to do it.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Rambler214 Re: Remington Market - 02/26/21
Some older junk. 121S, 17B and 513SA.

Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Re: Remington Market - 02/26/21
Got a new in box model 750 30-06. Never used it so im not sure if its junk?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Could you list the better options and what makes them better?

90 degree bolt lift, junk bolt release, junk extractor, abortion of a trigger, brazed bolt handle, about as straight as a banana.... gunsmiths love them because the customer has to drop $600 into the action just to make them worth a schit. The only reason they're popular is they had a head start...who was their competition in 1948? They're not innovative, Remington designed them to be cheap to manufacture. If I had to pick a crude design then I'd rather have a savage...at least the floating bolt head makes up for a crooked action, you can swap bolt handles, and it doesn't require a $160 trigger upgrade right out of the box.

Better actions offer side bolt release, sako style extractors, safe adjustable triggers, 60-70 degree bolt throw...etc etc etc...
Posted By: rem141r Re: Remington Market - 02/26/21
the gunbroker prices of 760/7600's are unreal. and the carbines, forget about it. i'm tempted to sell off a few but like them too much.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Remington Market - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by rem141r
the gunbroker prices of 760/7600's are unreal. and the carbines, forget about it. i'm tempted to sell off a few but like them too much.

The Carbines are great rifles, and very uncommon. I would never sell mine either.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Remington Market - 02/26/21
Another old junker. First year production 760 manufactured March 1952.
Gun is 5 months younger than I am and still going strong, me not so much, LMAO.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Remington Market - 02/26/21
Originally Posted by wink_man
Another old junker. First year production 760 manufactured March 1952.
Gun is 5 months younger than I am and still going strong, me not so much, LMAO.

My Dad had one just like that in 06 that he could shoot better than most guys can shoot a bolt action with a scope. He also refused to put a scope on it no matter how many times we offered to buy him one.... if I told you some of the shots he made with that rifle at deer and targets you would call me a liar... it is still in the family somewhere...

Bob
© 24hourcampfire