Home
Posted By: powdr Got a 358 Winchester on the way! - 02/25/21
I've built 3 338's and just couldn't warm up to them. Still have one but the more I looked into the 358...the more I liked it. Found a 1-12 Douglas #4 and had a 722 that's been open to 3.00 w/a Brown Precision to put it in. Sent it to Rick Steinhour for the build. I'm having him cut off the complete shank and re-contour to my old Rem barrel. Should be more like a #3 when finished. I can't wait to get it and start load work up. powdr
Sounds like a good setup. I’m a 358 fan. SGK 50 gr TAC and your loggin. 👍

You goin 20” or 22”? I’ve both, like 20” better, handy rifle
The Rem barrel contour should be about perfect. I went with a #3 Douglas with min shank and really like it.

Originally Posted by Judman
....You goin 20” or 22”? I’ve both, like 20” better, handy rifle

21" is where it's at.
I never saw a reason for the 358 Win....

until I shot one owned by Ken Howell, built on a 1909 Mexican Mauser action...

had a lot less recoil than I was expecting and the bullet did a lot more than I was expecting also...

I have enough tools in the toolbox, to do anything I need done...

but I'd recommend a 358 to anyone...its a well balanced package...

good luck with yours Powder...
I load 180 TTSX for mine. I like the hell out of it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Wow Hanco! Whack 'em & Stack 'em.
I’d shoot one, a little later they would come back out. I had corn strung out. I ran out of bullets before I ran out of pigs, learn me to take about 20.
Nice! I'll own a .358 again someday.
Sounds like a good setup. I’m a 358 fan. SGK 50 gr TAC and your loggin. 👍

You goin 20” or 22”? I’ve both, like 20” better, handy rifle

Agree. My pre-64 M70 goes 20".
Had him cut it at 22. powdr
Powdr,

What is the twist on your barrel?

The 1st one I built; I specified 1~16" Big Mistake! I also have a Ruger 77 Flatbolt in .358 and it is also 1~16". Am currently having a Rem M-660 in .308 rebored to .358 w/1~14" twist. Mostly for cast bullets. Have three other rifles in 358 Win with 1~12" twist. Yeah, I like the .358! grin GH
1 in 12 Hopper cut to 22in. powdr
I wonder what twist model 99’s are?
My 99 brush gun is 1/14 I believe. It has always shot all loads in minute of deer. Maybe some were not benchrest groups, but they always dropped what I shot at. Mine came from a guy in Alaska. The original owner had shot it with something in the muzzle and shortened it to get rid of the split. It is 17.25" and still knocks down game fast. Sure carries well with a low powered Leupold in QD rings. Just waiting for Gunswizzard to impart his first hand knowledge that the 358 bullet drops as soon as it hits 100 yards. Be Well, RZ.
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Powdr,

What is the twist on your barrel?

The 1st one I built; I specified 1~16" Big Mistake! I also have a Ruger 77 Flatbolt in .358 and it is also 1~16". Am currently having a Rem M-660 in .308 rebored to .358 w/1~14" twist. Mostly for cast bullets. Have three other rifles in 358 Win with 1~12" twist. Yeah, I like the .358! grin GH

GH, what didn’t ya like about 16”? Just bought a 358 with a 16”, gettin the stock dippped and the action/barrel Cerakoted, haven’t shot it yet
Originally Posted by hanco

According to my data, 1 in 12". I believe the Browning BLR is also 1 in 12". Winchester is 1 in 12". Ruger is 1 in 16".
Anything else, your guess is as good as mine. FWIW, I got the numbers from the Speer #9 load manual.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by hanco

According to my data, 1 in 12". I believe the Browning BLR is also 1 in 12". Winchester is 1 in 12". Ruger is 1 in 16".
Anything else, your guess is as good as mine. FWIW, I got the numbers from the Speer #9 load manual.
Paul B.

Thank you Sir
Have two 358 wins and working on the third, rem 7600 243 rebored and chambered to 358 win 1-14 twist. Love the 358 win
Be sure to paint the stock grape / purple 😉
Sounds like a nice rig. Enjoy!
Had mine cut to 18.5” when JES rebored a rem 700 sps for me. Handy little thumper with 220 gr. Speers
Just a heads up, 358 Win ammo is actually available right now, targetsports has a few cases of Win factory 200gr.
I am sure I misspoke earlier that my 99 is actually a 1/12 not 1/14. Be Well, RZ.
Thanks for the heads up and good price.
I'm a big fan of the .358 Winchester... IME it kills way beyond the paper ballistics. I have had a dozen or so over the years, but currently shoot a Ruger M77 Mark II Frontier and an M77 Mark II Carbine (1 of 25)... and I am in the process of building a Ruger No.1 International in .358. I have found there is no need for more than 50.0 grains of W748 under a 200 grain SP... this load has been accurate in every rifle that I have tried it in and absolutely pounds game. I would post pictures but my file sizes appear to be too large to upload.
[quote=Grasshopper]

GH, what didn’t ya like about 16”? Just bought a 358 with a 16”, gettin the stock dippped and the action/barrel Cerakoted, haven’t shot it yet

The 1~16" twist is fine if you wish to shoot 200 gr. bullets. It may even shoot 225's. I don't know, haven't tried it yet. I'm having yet another built with a 1~14" twist. Ostensibly for cast bullets. I tried my Ruger 77 TS with 250 gr. and they didn't even resemble a group. I admit, it kind of soured me on the 1~16. I have two .350 Rem Mags both with 1~16" and they both shoot fine. Especially with 225 Nosler Partitions. I"ve had three M-700 Classics in .35 Whelen, (1~16") but never could warm up to them. If I ever build another Whelen, it will have 1~14". But at my age, I likely never will. I only hunt W/T deer and 200 gr bullets work just fine. My next foray hunting with .35 cal, I think I'll try the 220 gr. SPEER FN. I have a rebored Ruger #3 in .356 Win. 1~16" Thinking that just might be a good candidate for the 220 Speer. smile GH
Copy I went 12” on my whelen. The 16” 358 I bought done, hopefully it shoots the 225 sgk as like like how they behave on critters. My RAR 358 I think is 14” and it shoots em great
I have a BLR 358. Any luck loading 225 Accubonds? According to Nosler some magazines will not accommodate the Accubond.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I am sure I misspoke earlier that my 99 is actually a 1/12 not 1/14. Be Well, RZ.

Huh, I thought the 99 .308s were 1/14, and would have figured .358 to be same twist.
© 24hourcampfire