Home
Posted By: JGRaider 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/17/21
For you 6.5 PRC handloaders....what powders are you having the most luck with? I believe the slowest I have is RL26. I will probably stick with 139 Scenars to start with since I have a crapload of them, then maybe 130 AB.
Posted By: Judman Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/17/21
Uncle Johnny, shoot Greg a text. đź‘Ť
Great minds think alike Jud! I already did, but I have very, very little of his best powder. He could kill big stuff with freaking blackpowder in his rig.
Pretty fhuqking funny schit! You CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a HOOT! Hint. Congratulations?!?

Cite the mounting system and scope,for MAXIMUM Hilarity! Hint.

Do NOT "forget",that neither of you Drooling Fhuqktards can "read this"!!!! LAUGHING!

You "LUCKY" Kchunts!

LAUGHING!.............
LarryO!!! Is that you? Haha
Uncle Johnny, what powder ya after?
I have a midget/druid/gnome filter and can't see what he says......
I have a pretty good stash of RL26 I figured I'd start with. Would like more Retumbo but it's scarce.
Not sure what Greg is using but mine has done really well with retumbo and surprisingly, H4350 behind 139 scenars
Let me see what I got...
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have a pretty good stash of RL26 I figured I'd start with. Would like more Retumbo but it's scarce.

56 gr will net you in excess of 3000 easily in a 24” tube, very accurate! I haven’t found the Scenars to be depth sensitive.
H4831SC....not a trendy powder tied to the 6.5 PRC but it's been solid behind 139 scenars in my GAP.
Do not overlook RE-17 with the 130s. Sierra shows it producing velocities right there with the "magnum" powders.
If you've got a good supply of R26 start with that. I've got two rifles chambered in 6.5 PRC, and both shoot the same load very well.

139 Scenar
H-brass
56.2grs R26
Tula LRM primer
BTO 2.250"

3080fps 24" 1-8" Bartlein
3000fps 20" 1-8" Bartlein
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is my 20 incher.....7.5lbs.
Been using two powders for my 6.5 PRC loads- Magpro for the Berger 140 VLD Hunting bullets, RL26 for the Barnes LRX 127 gr.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Slim and trim. Very, very nice....
Good stuff......thanks.
You gonna run 26 uncle Johnny? Got 1 lb of retumbo if ya want it
Scenarshooter,

Do you shoot a 6GT?

What's your load for that?
Originally Posted by Judman
You gonna run 26 uncle Johnny? Got 1 lb of retumbo if ya want it

I'll try that first Jud, much appreciated with the offer though.
Posted By: MCMXI Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/17/21
I've been getting good results from a 24" Proof barrel with US 869 and 147gr ELD Match bullets. Velocity is in the 2,950 fps range and 5-shot groups at 100 yards are decent. I was comparing GM215M and CCI250 primers in the test below.

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]
Posted By: Fotis Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/17/21
143 eldx rl 26 rl25
Do any of you guys know of a website I could use to try and translate what that one guy is posting? I've read many of his posts and have decided I would try and translate some of it. Some ancient Eskimo Dialect maybe?
I've been switching back and forth between two loads for my CA Mesa. Hornady brass/58.0 H1000/CCIBr-2/130 Accubond at 3050 FPS and shoots well under .5 MOA.
then there's Hornady brass/58.5 H1000/CCIBR-2/130 Scirocco at 3045 FPS and shoots under .5 MOA as well. I know the Accubond will perform well on game having used the 130 grain bullet in my 6.5 Swede, but that 130 Scirocco in my 6.5 PRC really impressed me this past year. Several large pigs and a nice whitetail never took a single step after being hit with it.
That Scirroco is a darned good Bullet. It’s kinda like a modern day Bitterroot.
Posted By: Brad Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/18/21
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Man, what a great rig!
this is my 22 incher.....at more than 7.5 pounds.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

147 eldm's over retumbo.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/18/21
I have a midget/druid/gnome filter and can't see what he says......

Any idiot filter will do.
N565, RL-26 or H1000. Aside from these I would at Magpro or IMR-7828SSC
All I have tried in mine is RL-26. So I'm not much help if you were looking for a different powder.
N565 was all I needed. One and done.
Is scenarshooter still alive? Noticed he hasn’t been on here.
I’ve been using Magnum in my PRC. I am getting about 2975’ish speed with the 150 Nosler ABLR. Accuracy is lacking but I think it’s probably more the bullet than powder.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/12/22
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Is scenarshooter still alive? Noticed he hasn’t been on here.

Yep, still alive. He's raising hell with the coyotes.
Posted By: EdM Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/12/22

Last week my LGS had Retumbo in 1# and 8#. If you ever get east some I'd be happy to drive some and meet. I can pick it up. Let me know.
Thanks a bunch EdM. Much appreciate the kind gesture.
Posted By: Benben Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/12/22
I’m using 58.5 gr of Magnum with the 139 Scenar. Just over 3000fps and great accuracy.
H1000 and H4831SC
Originally Posted by Benben
I’m using 58.5 gr of Magnum with the 139 Scenar. Just over 3000fps and great accuracy.

Man, that’s good to hear. I just finished a ladder tonight. My charge weights are way off compared to yours but it looks like I’ll be in the mid 3000’s but several grains higher.

Once the weather passes I’ll put it on paper.

Posted By: Sako76 Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/13/22
58.8 grains of Retumbo, 139 Scenar, 3075 fps, one hole load courtesy of Flattop_Johnny!
Posted By: Benben Re: 6.5 PRC Shooters.....Powder - 03/13/22
I’m leaving some speed on the table by stopping at 58.5 but it may be the most accurate load I’ve ever concocted. And I pretty much just threw it together.
Originally Posted by Sako76
58.8 grains of Retumbo, 139 Scenar, 3075 fps, one hole load courtesy of Flattop_Johnny!

I’ll try that one next if Magnum doesn’t pan out today.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Man, that’s good to hear. I just finished a ladder tonight. My charge weights are way off compared to yours but it looks like I’ll be in the mid 3000’s but several grains higher.

Scotty, if the accuracy is there forget that ABLR and shoot the Scenar!
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by beretzs

Scotty, if the accuracy is there forget that ABLR and shoot the Scenar!

Yes sir. I think you’re on to something

Even launched one into some jugs @ 100 yards. Should be a deer nightmare.

Accubond forgotten whistle
© 24hourcampfire