Home
Posted By: Theoldpinecricker Pre 64' model 70 - 03/18/21
I have one of these old rifles in 300 H&H. It wears an old Redfield TV scope. Yuck. The stock is one of those custom 1960's super duper montecarlo jobs with the fancy diamond inlay junk. Yuck!

Anyway, the rifle itself is really nice. Im wondering if i should do up an nice classic stock or leave it as is. Or maybe a more modern composite?
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Pre 64' model 70 - 03/18/21
Doesn't seem worth your trouble. Send it to me. I'll keep it locked away where no one can see how ugly it is...
Posted By: JBabcock Re: Pre 64' model 70 - 03/18/21
That would be a rifle I’d spend the money on to have a nice, classic stock built for it. Or get a hold of pre-64 and have them keep their eyes open for an original. It’s definitely worth your time to visit their website.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Pre 64' model 70 - 03/18/21
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
I have one of these old rifles in 300 H&H. It wears an old Redfield TV scope. Yuck. The stock is one of those custom 1960's super duper montecarlo jobs with the fancy diamond inlay junk. Yuck!

Anyway, the rifle itself is really nice. Im wondering if i should do up an nice classic stock or leave it as is. Or maybe a more modern composite?

What year was it made? If it were me, I'd do either one of the 2 things you mention. Keep an eye out for an all original stock or put it in a Mcmillan etc..
Posted By: Pugs Re: Pre 64' model 70 - 03/18/21

Does it shoot well?
What are you going to do with it? (hunt, shoot, admire etc.)
How much do you want to spend? (http://wenig.com)

It has no real collectors value so the range of options is wide open. For me I'd stick it in a modern stock with new optics and shoot it. I have a P64 M70 Super Grade in .300 H&H as my "heavy gun" for beyond deer. It's a great cartridge that has killed an elk and a moose for me with aplomb.
Posted By: model70man Re: Pre 64' model 70 - 03/18/21

I remember on a pre-64 .264 Win. Mag. I once owned that the forearm was longer than the forearm on say a standard caliber pre-64. I think it may have had something to do with my rifle having a 26" barrel and I think Winchester wanted the forearm to look proportional to the 26" barrel.
Posted By: xausa Re: Pre 64' model 70 - 03/18/21
I had a pre-War Model 70 .375 H&H arrive in two pieces: it was broken in half at the wrist, snapped, rather than split. I started haunting eBay for pre-War Model 70 stocks and found one at a reasonable price in no time at all. It's amazine what you can find on the internet these days.
© 24hourcampfire