Home
Posted By: davet Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
I live in a rural setting, looking for something more than a .22lr for 40lb and smaller varmints and pests.

.22WMR or .22 Hornet?

Which is the better option for 125 yards and under?

I would intend to plink with this rifle as well as having it close to the back patio for everything from crows to unwiley coyotes.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
If you're in a rural area where muzzle blast noise isn't likely to cause the neighbors to call the law, why not go with a 223?

223 ammo is inexpensive and easy to find, think Wal-Mart, compared to either the .22 MAG or 22 Hornet.

When I lived out in the country, I kept a .22 MAG and a 223 on pegs over the back door, the .22 MAG for shooting foxes and feral cats/dogs that were close in and a 223 for coyotes that were farther out.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
Given your choices. Hornet
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
yeah, hornet.... the 17 version
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
Definitely something reloadable. The past year should make that pretty clear.

Also, rimfires put you at the mercy of lot variations and changes in product lines. While I futz around with this and that, my standard Hornet recipe has been the same for about 20 years. Got one (I think) for .223 now as well.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
.22 Hornet! Here's mine, a CZ 527.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
I have most varmint calibers and the Fireball is the one I favor.
I would go with the Horner and a small loading press... One pound of powder with load lots of bullets... For years the hornet was one of the most used rifles in my collection... It is great for grouse, tree squirrel, cottontails, turkey etc.. Also gophers to coyotes, the larger varmints take good bullet placement, but no matter what a coyote is hit with he is tough.. l used mine on fox for their skins.. I have 2 .22 mags and love them the Hornet has more snap..
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/07/21
A .223 will kill the shyt out of varmints out to 125 yards.... And way beyond. If you don't reload .223 ammo is more widely available and cheaper than .22 Hornet and there is also a much wider variety of .223 rifles available.. If you do reload there's a .22 Hornet inside every .223 if you wish to down load it to that performance level..
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Much as I like my Hornet, there’s not many rifles available for it, and no inexpensive ones, if that’s important. If you don’t reload, ammo is spendy too.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Much as I like my Hornet, there’s not many rifles available for it, and no inexpensive ones, if that’s important. If you don’t reload, ammo is spendy too.

What it comes down to, imo.

But if can get a hornet at whatever price point you desire, and if reload, prefer the hornet. Significantly more pop on target. Once you’ve the components, you're set for a good while, too - a free man.

But if cannot locate a hornet priced right, or not going to reload, go 22wmr. Or, consider 17hmr & others, as ammo availability in hard times is sometimes better yet.
Posted By: davet Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
I do reload and do have a .223. Mostly I'm looking for a new toy since the tax man wasn't overly belligerent this year.

The 22WMR's that interest me cost about the same as the 22 Hornets that interest me. Both seem to have positives going for them, but I don't have much experience with either.

I'll keep looking at what's available until something pops out.
Posted By: hanco Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
The .22 WMR will kill out to 125 easy. I have a Marlin bolt. Crows at 200 yards ain’t nothing.
Posted By: bmoney Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
I have a Savage 93F in 22 mag. I have been really impressed with that little round, it is a ton of fun and packs a punch. I also have a 17 hornet and that is in another ballpark. If I was shooting at things 25 to 40 pounds I would pick up the 17 hornet no questions asked. I am sure the .22 Hornet is the same way in that aspect. If you like a 22 Hornet that is in stock and you got some of your money back from the government.........grab it.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Not sure why the 222 has not been mentioned yet, esp if handloading is involved.

It would be perfect for this.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Another vote for the 17 Hornet here.
Posted By: colodog Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
My most used .22 centerfire is a 22-250. My standard, reduced load for it is a 45gr bullet for a 218 Bee over Bluedot which covers most of my needs but I do have other/faster loads when needed.

My 22WMR was replaced with the 17HMR.

If you reload and have some components on hand, you can load to the level you want.
22 WMR is a pretty wicked killer but the Hornet is a step above especially with hand loads. I’ve got both and as long as you’ve got rimfire ammo available to you, the WMR is solid out to 125 that you ask about. Beyond 125 the Hornet is as sweet medicine as you’ll ever need inside 200. Beyond 200? Take your pick .222 & up.

I’d go Hornet if it were me - such a fun gun to shoot and plays that middle range like no other .22 IMO.
Posted By: bmoney Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
I am sure the OP knows this but in a perfect world with Bluedot available you can literally make 223's into a 22 Hornet. But if you want a new rig, my vote is always yes.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
My 22 Hornet is as accurate as my 22 WMR should be, but never will.
Posted By: davet Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Yes I've done the .223 blue dot loads. I think I am just looking for a new itch to scratch.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Not sure why the 222 has not been mentioned yet, esp if handloading is involved.

It would be perfect for this.

+1
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Originally Posted by davet
I live in a rural setting, looking for something more than a .22lr for 40lb and smaller varmints and pests.

.22WMR or .22 Hornet?

Which is the better option for 125 yards and under?

I would intend to plink with this rifle as well as having it close to the back patio for everything from crows to unwiley coyotes.

Vudoo 22LR for me,if only because I've shot or got everything else cited.

Hint.............
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
I've become a big fan of the 17 Hornet with 20 grain V-MAX bullets.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Sorry to say, yet you may need to ask What ammo are you able to find these days? I am a fan of the following these days 223 for ammo availability. 221 fireball due it is a great cartridge for intended purpose & I reload. 22 Hornet as it may do well for intended purpose. Good luck finding ammo or components for much of anything in recent times.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/08/21
Dangle some pics of these wares. Hint. LAUGHING!

BIG Vudoo here,but only have a couple more. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'............
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
If you were only plinking a .22LR would make a lot of sense. It will also do for small game, like rabbits an such, though 125 yards is further away than I would plan to shoot them, because you really don't have anything in reserve and at that range wind and trajectory are against you. As a rabbit rifle out to 90 -100 yards though they are the business. On bigger stuff, like foxes, I've found that you really need to hit the butt of the ear to have reliable kills, so that is the limiting factor in terms of range. Shooting thousands of rounds at rocks though, this would be the calibre to choose.

A Hornet fills the bill for animals up to 40 lbs very handsomely, out to well past 125 yards if required. I've dropped pigs with it too, with a well-placed shot. They use very little propellant and you have the advantage of being able to choose a fair range of projectiles. Mine and others I've used have been very accurate and they are easy to shoot. I like this calibre.

The .22 Mag has never particularly appealed to me, mainly because a Hornet can do everything the .22 Mag can do and more. The ones I've tried have been less than impressive in accuracy too. I guess if you don't handload though, the ammo is cheaper.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
+1 for the hornet
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
I just "happen" to shoot a "few" Hornets and K-Hornets,amongst a schit load of others...all of which are exemplary. Hint.

Pass the Vudoo,despite CLUELESS Fhuqking Dissenters who've never even fhuqking seen one. Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
<yawn>
Posted By: HitnRun Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub
<yawn>

Another multiple choice question “A” or “B” and here come the Campfire wizards with “C”

It is amazing any of you that answered “C” ever finished 3rd grade. And of course Stick never even went to school.

The answer is easily “B” the Hornet
KchuntRun,

Pardon my simply teaching the class,as you Lick Windows. Hint. Laughing!

You'll haveta' excuse my having the COMPLETE Alphabet,at my immediate disposal,while you Google same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

LAUGHING!...................
Keep it up you meth headed clown. It’s 2:00 AM in Alaska and you are on a computer making funny stories with your clueless swamp garbage and potty mouth tryin to figure out how to spell cuss words.

Try going to school and staying away from meth and your spelling will improve and your comprehension skills will develop to where you will have more than a 4 word vocabulary with all your derogatory words enunciated by years of abuse and avoiding any sort of actual mind development.
KchuntRun,

I'm tying leaders as 110 Sugars tumble in moly and Virgins await my press...while you Google Fhuqktardom and "get" to live same,you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Feel free to extoll on your Whining Brokedicktitude,as you TRY to "talk" about wares welllllllllll beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for Lying and Trying your Best,you CLUELESS Kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
I have always been skeptical of the philosophy of some that say “if you put enough monkeys in a room with enough keyboards, one will write a paragraph” but it is certain that you have proved me wrong.
KchuntRun,

You be SURE to "explain" your Drooling Brokedicktitude,in the manner which suits your Emotions BEST...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Oooopsie! Hint. LAUGHING!

Feel free to extoll on your Whining Brokedicktitude,as you TRY to "talk" about wares welllllllllll beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for Lying and Trying your Best,you CLUELESS Kchunt.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: Seafire Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
Is anyone else's computer still messing up after campfire's server crash?

in the post above, all I see is a picture of someone's messy counter space, and then for verbage all I see is " blahblahblah, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, burp, Phddt, blah blah blah blah..." ( blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ). !!!!!!!!! ???????????

Burp, hiccup, fart.....Drool...

WTH is going on now??
Posted By: Windfall Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
Originally Posted by Big Stick
KchuntRun,

Pardon my simply teaching the class,as you Lick Windows. Hint. Laughing!

You'll haveta' excuse my having the COMPLETE Alphabet,at my immediate disposal,while you Google same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Stick, if you didn't keep photographing your rifles in the creek, you wouldn't have that rusting issue.
LAUGHING!
Shefire,

You couldn't afford a down payment,on 50 pieces of Hornet brass...you "lucky" kchunt.

Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
As painful as it is to agree with Blackheart.....

Originally Posted by Blackheart
A .223 will kill the shyt out of varmints out to 125 yards.... And way beyond. If you don't reload .223 ammo is more widely available and cheaper than .22 Hornet and there is also a much wider variety of .223 rifles available.. If you do reload there's a .22 Hornet inside every .223 if you wish to down load it to that performance level..
Joan sure as fhuqk cain't "afford"a good 22LR,let alone a 223. Hint. LAUGHING!

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so she can "afford" to "contribute"! Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: bmoney Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
Everytime I check back in on this forum I am reminded in 7 seconds why I don't post much here. Even when you have that dinosaur brain on ignore he can still ruin a thread, crazy that this is allowed to go on. Sad. Sorry OP, go with the hornet and enjoy the new rig.
brokedickmoney,

Your Pretend ain't "Real",you Whining Kchunt. Hint.

Laughing!..........
Posted By: bmoney Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/09/21
See what I mean? I just told this peanut brain he is on my ignore list and he responds to my post. Watch him do it again. Walnut brain.
brokedickmoney,

Your Imaginary Pretend Ignore isn't "real". Hint. Laughing!

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............
Stupid pictures for $600., Alex.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/10/21
Wares that simply exist,for $1,000,000. Hint. LAUGHING!

Fortunately,Imagination AND Pretend are FREE,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Hint.

LAUGHING!......................
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/10/21
Hey Stick used that 75 bthp hornie and lever load of yours while back and sure it worked well thanks. Mb
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/10/21
Ah [bleep] another midget thread.
My solution to scratch this exact itch was a Super 16 Contender barrel in .223. Has the Hornet and .22 WMR in it, but a lot more if I want. And it's not just another .223 bolt. Twist is 14-inch, though, so heavier than about 50 grains is likely to lose accuracy.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/14/21
Originally Posted by 10at6
Ah [bleep] another midget thread.

He is one retarded mother fugker . Going in the Campfire Hall of Fame one day . He holds the Guinness world record for mouth breather Youtube metric . His YouTube vids are longest time uploaded vs least amount of views.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/14/21
Originally Posted by Big Stick
brokedickmoney,

Your Imaginary Pretend Ignore isn't "real". Hint. Laughing!

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

You will kill it at this years Halloween party . Book it.

#DwarfBiffTannen
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/24/21
I love both calibers. I’d suggest a .223 over both simply due to rifle available, and ammo availability/cost. If that’s not an issue, it doesn’t get much cooler than a .22 hornet.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Which .22 for varmints - 04/24/21
I bought a .22 Hornet to start tinkering with a couple months ago. Thinking of it as a "reloadable .22 WMR +P". A brick of primers, two pounds of powder, and 8 pounds of lead should easily get me 1,000 pulls on the trigger.
© 24hourcampfire