Home
Is there any option for this as an aftermarket part? My google-fu is failing me, which may mean that there is not.

I have a custom .223 built on a Model Seven, and after using largely Sako 75/85 actions for the last 10+ years, I find it irritating that the Remington safety doesn't lock the bolt closed. I carry my rifle slung a lot for long back country walks and find that the bolt often comes open on the Remington.

The rifle in question this week

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I like that feature too. My older 700's had that feature, newer ones don't. I have bought older rem safetys and converted some but the bolt must have a slot in,the bottom for the locking lever to engage. I've also added metal to an existing safety to copy the old model. Don't know of any aftermarket solutions.
Isn’t this one of the things they changed due to the “unsafe trigger” controversy and lawsuit?
Some had an issue of firing when releasing the safety to open the bolt.
I believe that is when the locking bolt safety was changed out. I doubt anyone made an after market part to over ride that.
Les
I'm with you 100% on the safety locking the bolt. A quick search shows the Gentry 3 position safety available from Brownells. I have no idea if that is current or not. Also, some time ago I toyed with the idea of a semi custom rifle put together by High tech customs out in Colorado. He offered a similar arrangement for M700s. Again, don't know how current that is but it's a place to start.

Good Luck!
At one time you could buy a Timney designed by/for Ultralight Arms that had a third position. I think it required some smithing on the bolt. I had looked into it about 10-15 years ago but never far enough to order one or try it.
I also like the locking bolt feature. It is standard on all my model 70s and my recently acquired Remington model 660 has not been altered so still has the locking bolt. I won’t be changing it either unless a problem develops. After 50 or so years, it probably won’t develop a problem.
Les
© 24hourcampfire