Home
Posted By: ingwe Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/14/21
I know nothing about them. What says the gallery of those who have used them?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/14/21
I know nothing other than picking up in the store. Seemed very chunky and weighed a ton (wooden stocked .30-06).
Posted By: DCR48 Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/14/21
I've been a Remington 700 fan for a very long time. About a month ago I bought a B14r steel barrel 22. Tomorrow I'm picking up another one. The 22-250 HMR is calling my name. All while I'm trying to downsize my gun collection!
I'm pretty impressed do far.
I had a Timber in 308. Pretty rifle and it functioned and shot great. But it was chunky in the hands. Had I bought the Woodsman instead I'd probably still have it
Heavy but good.
I have a B-14 Ridge in 22-250 that is an extremely good shooter. Like others have said, they do carry a bit of extra weight. The barrel contour on the Ridge is similar to a light varmint contour, so a bit of extra weight is to be expected. Barrel is threaded fir a brake

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/ridge-rifle-2/

I'd definitely buy another one based on this one example.
Posted this a couple of times before, but some models at least have a MIM or pot metal bolt shroud that can break off. Lots of internet chatter on this. Happened to a guy at our range while I was there. I think there’s a factory fix. Search “Bergara MIM bolt shroud fail”. I think there’s a factory response on FB too, but I don’t go there.

I handled one of the Custom, made in US models a while back and it looked pretty nice, but it’s also pretty spendy, maybe more than a FC (was) IIRC.
The ones I’ve seen and shot have all been the heavy barreled B-14 HMR. Both shot MOA or better with 10 rounds.

Aside from the full tube, the stock was heavy, as one would expect with a mechanical cheek riser.

Nice rifle.

🦫
Posted By: wagner Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/14/21
I really like the looks of the Premier Mountain 2.0. They are using AG stocks. Really looking forward to getting my hands on one.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/14/21
I bought a B-14 hunter in 450 Bushmaster I like it very much
The gun is accurate but that caliber seems to shoot well in lots of guns

I have a HMR in 6.5 its probably just me and my body type but I really don't like the way the stock fits my very uncomfortable
I think for some one else it have fit better
Hank
Originally Posted by ingwe

I don't either except for the talk that they came a long ways after hiring Ed Shilen as a consultant in their effort to have their engineers produce a better factory barrel.
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/15/21
Love my Woodsman rifle. I like the wood stock very much. It is fun to shoot and is accurate. I have had no issues at all concerning function. I wanted a Remington 700 type rifle for a long time and don't regret going Bergara instead.
I've had a B-14 Hunter, a B-14 Ridge, and a Premier Mountain Rifle.

All shot very well, but the Premier Mountain Rifle was super-accurate. The Premier series action has a floating bolt head like a Savage.

Weight wise, the Hunter seems about like a Weatherby Vanguard, the Ridge is nearly varmint weight. The Mountain Rifle is sub-7lbs naked.
I bought one when they first came out. The first one came with the stock broken in half at the pistol grip. The replacement came about six weeks later. Accuracy was good, but the stock ergs didn't work well for me. I didn't like it enough to keep it and sold it to a friend who is a one box of ammo a year shooter and he seems happy with it.
Originally Posted by moosemike
I had a Timber in 308. Pretty rifle and it functioned and shot great. But it was chunky in the hands. Had I bought the Woodsman instead I'd probably still have it

Maybe not. I had a Woodsman in 7-08 and the forearm felt like holding the barrel of a baseball bat.

To the OP, The barrel on mine was skewed way to the left in the barrel channel. That's a sure sign to me of crappy QC. I had to send it back to Georgia because it didn't shoot to their accuracy guarantee. According to the factory rep I was dealing with, they pulled every 7-08 Woodsman in their inventory, and couldn't get 1 that would shoot to spec. After more than 10 weeks, they finally took one of those rifles and did some work on the action and the crown. I don't know exactly what they did. They also, at my request, cherry picked a stock with some nice figure, for my troubles and sent it back to me. When I got it back, it shot a few groups in the low .7s. But I just couldn't abide by that thick fore end. PLUS!!!!, the barrel is skewed on this one too! I ended up giving it to a young guy in my hunting club who is struggling to start a family and had to always borrow a rifle for deer season.
I have a HMR Pro in 6mm creed. Shoots in the .2s and .3s. I like it
I had one, but sold it. Not impressed with the heavy rifle. I had to send it back to the factory for a rebarrel.
Posted By: JPro Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/15/21
I have an HMR 6.5Manbun I bough here used. I put a spare Timney in it, although the factory trigger wasn't half bad. It's not a very picky rifle and I like the action design.
I've owned about a dozen and every one of them was "super accurate". The HMRs are definitely heavy; but, they are a type of gun that is expected to be. Most of the others are not heavy; but, I would say they are typical sporter-weight rifles. I only currently have one now. It is the Premier Mountain Rifle. They are, in my opinion, exceptional rifles with exceptional function and exceptional accuracy. One has to be deliberate in re-assembly because if you don't have the mag box lined up correctly, your mag starts ejecting shells randomly. That's not a big deal once you are aware of it. It's not a fault, it's just a head scratcher when one starts searching for problems that don't exist. All of my triggers on my Bergaras have been great and I never felt the need to replace one. I've seen others complain about or allude to stocks being "bulky". That's always subjective. I have small hands but seem to prefer and shoot better with a little thicker stock. I wouldn't call them thick at all. But, I'm also one of those guys who likes my Bell and Carlson stocks where others complain about the heft or thickness of them. I think that Bergara has created really good "bang for your buck" rifles. Now, if I could only find one of their Premier Mountain Rifles in 7/08 or 280 AI, I would be one happy camper. Unfortunately, after the Gen 1 Premier Mountain Rifle, Bergara sent those the way of the horse and buggy. I guess they feel they can sell more PRCs of various flavors. Hey, their call.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/15/21
Thanks for all the input. I actually got hands on one today, a B-14 Hunter I believe. Stock dimensions felt fine to me, a tad barrel heavy, but again thats not an issue, at my age the only place Ill carry it is into a Texas Box Blind...the rifle did indeed look like good bang for the buck.
Posted By: MGunns Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/16/21
Bought a b-14 hunter ridge in creedmore a few months back. Finally got it to the range with a Burris 3-9x50 E1 Shoots great but yes a tad heavy. I think the specs say a number 5 contour barrel.

Regardless, I love the sticky stock black with grey flakes and it shoots great. Awesome trigger.

I’m keeping it
Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/18/21
I've got 3 of the B-14 Ridge between 6.5CM and 300WM and friends have a couple HMR's. All shoot moa or better with about half shooting 1/2 inch groups with hunting ammo. Agree with the others they are heavier but the barrel contours are not lightweight and the stocks are not slim either. Being a R700 clone there are a ton of aftermarket options. The factory triggers are good but I put a triggertech in one and like it better. I have noticed accuracy continues to improve through about 70 rounds so if you get one that shoots great right out of the box you'll be set.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/18/21
Thanks for all the input. I actually got hands on one today, a B-14 Hunter I believe. Stock dimensions felt fine to me, a tad barrel heavy, but again thats not an issue, at my age the only place Ill carry it is into a Texas Box Blind...the rifle did indeed look like good bang for the buck.

I've had a Timber in 308 and a Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both were good shooters, well under MOA. Can't say I minded the handling or stock either. I like the triggers they put on them a lot.

That said, because of the issues Pappy mentioned and just feeling like I should have got more for the rifle at our (Canadian) pricing, I ended up buying a Remington 700 ADL with scope combo, sold the cheapo scope, and ended up spending about $475 for that. Put a TriggerTech trigger in it. Other than the rust attracting finish, it shoots an average of .9 to 1 MOA.

I had no complaints about actually using the Bergaras mind, if I could have gotten them cheaper I would have been happy but for $1k or more CAN? No thanks. That 6.5 Creed was sure a shooter though

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I bought a Bergara Premier Approach from Whittaker’s when they threw em on sale for $999. I jumped fast.

The action is slicker than snot and the trigger is really good too. I haven’t shot it for groups but zeroed at 100 then went to 3-4-5 hundred and didn’t miss a beat. I believe the Premier line is assembled by a small handful of guys at their Georgia factory.
I'm seeing a few comments on price. Iirc, I paid just over $770 out the door less than a year ago for my B-14 Ridge 22-250. Not a bad price for what I got..
I don't think Bergara's are bad for the price at all. My friend shoots a B-14 and loves it. In that price point I am very partial to Tikka.
Bergara is now my favorite bang for the buck rifle manufacturer.
I prefer a Walmart special 700 with a stock and trigger of my choice. Will come out more expensive than the cheapest Bergara, though. I own a B-14 in 6.5 CM and have no complaints.
Posted By: LNF150 Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/20/21
Originally Posted by jj_applejuice
I don't think Bergara's are bad for the price at all. My friend shoots a B-14 and loves it. In that price point I am very partial to Tikka.

I shouldered a Bergara Hunter 30-06 at Cabela's and it fit me very well. The thickness of the barrel wasn't a huge distraction, although all and all it was a heavier rifle than I normally carry. After kicking rocks for a month, I purchased this new stainless for close to the price of a Bergara Hunter off G.B. Topped it off with a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 illuminated (German 3P#4)

My 2nd Tikka in 7mm-08.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
^ The Bergara is defintely a bit heavier. Still a great rifle for the price. I am a sucker for a Tikka action.
Posted By: wh06 Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/21/21
Bought a highlander in .308 had feeding issues lgs sent back to Bergara in February. Called in March they mumbled COVID $ 1500 dollar should feed from factory. Bought two guns last year highlander and a Christensen Mesa, Mesa for the win.

After the crap they pulled a couple of years ago i wouldn't shoot one of they were free
What did they do a couple years ago?
They are good rifles.Excellent trigger,good shooter,I really wasn't too crazy about the skinny plastic stock so I put it in a Boyd's Pro Varmint that I had bedded for one of my Remington Sendero rifles.It was a perfect drop in fit and I like it much better.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I've got a B14 Ridge Wilderness in 308 Win. So far, it's shot MOA (or just about moa)with the few different loads that I fed it. The 18 inch bbl with my suppressor is great!
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I know nothing other than picking up in the store. Seemed very chunky and weighed a ton (wooden stocked .30-06).

Same impressions here. I’ve got little girly man hands and the stock made it feel like I was holding my dads rifle as a kid. Just way too fat in the grip. Seem to be very popular here though.
Originally Posted by Dan700mn
What did they do a couple years ago?

They advertised a bunch of stocks for a good price, A bunch of us 'bought ' them. They immediately hit our cards, kept our money for a couple of weeks before admitting there were no stocks
Posted By: Hookset Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/24/21
I recently bought a Premier Approach from a fellow fire member. I finally got it out to the range today. I had loaded up 10 rounds of a load that worked in another rifle. Wow, this one is going to be a shooter! It's a big, heavy rifle by design. Maybe a #5 contour barrel and more of a sniper style stock. The action is slick and everything seems very high quality. The trigger is great. It's stainless with factory ceracoat. The barrel is 24" and threaded. Overall, I think it's a really nice rifle.

I think I really need a Premier Mountain to go with it.
Posted By: Hamrick Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/24/21
Are all the actions sizes the same?
Posted By: RHutch Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/25/21
Originally Posted by Hamrick
Are all the actions sizes the same?

No
Posted By: RHutch Re: Opinions on Bergara Rifles - 04/26/21
My Ridge shot FGMM under an inch, closer to 3/4".
I am developing a load with the 155 Scenar over H4895 in Lapua brass.
5 shot groups at 100yds suppressed. Target stickers are 1".
Looks like 44.3 is the ticket on this one. Started getting ejector swipes at 44.6.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
© 24hourcampfire