Home
Posted By: CBB Gun Care? - 04/17/21
What do you guys use on your rifles?

I've always used hoppes #9 as a bore solvent cleaner and for the last few years rem oil as a lubricant.

Just curious what other products are out there that may be better?
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Gun Care? - 04/17/21
Hoppes #9 is soooo 60's........ grin

Actually Hoppes does a decent job removing carbon and I use it often. But you need to get the copper out too--that's a different story.

Montana Xtreme if you have good ventilation or Sharp R Shooter Patch Out are my two choices.

If all you have been cleaning with is #9 odds are good you have a lot of copper in the bore. Blue patches will tell the story.

There's a number of good lubes out there and Rem Oil works well. I use Rem Dry Lube on my bolt races and lugs, it works very well, especially on SS actions.

A very important part of gun care is cleaning the trigger assembly and bolt/firing pin assembly.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Gun Care? - 04/17/21
Butch's bore shine, Hoppes#9 & Bench rest, Kroil & Lucas gun oil.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Gun Care? - 04/17/21
Patch out then EEZOX works for me. Hasbeen
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Gun Care? - 04/17/21
Wipe Out.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Gun Care? - 04/17/21
Originally Posted by Razorhog
Wipe Out.

2x
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Gun Care? - 04/17/21
Hoppes of any kind is useless for cleaning a rifle properly, but for some reason people like the smell and still use it.

Bore Tech Eliminator is the only cleaner you need for the barrel, for lube take your pick
Posted By: 01Foreman400 Re: Gun Care? - 04/18/21
Patch out and Breakfree CLP.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Gun Care? - 04/19/21
I use Eezox on the exterior for corrosion resistance.
Posted By: pullit Re: Gun Care? - 04/19/21
Wipe Out
Shooter Choice
Butchers' Bore Shine

Rigg on the outside
Posted By: pete53 Re: Gun Care? - 04/19/21
Wipe out here too in barrel bore , no smell of gun solvent and Wipe out has a nice aroma too , outside any spray oil on a wipe cloth.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Gun Care? - 04/19/21
I use butchers for bore cleaning and hoppes on the exterior.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Gun Care? - 04/19/21
I use Montana Extreme Copper Killer (really stout vapors), or Patch Out when I really want to get after the copper. Either can be left in the bore for many hours without harm. I use Break Free CLP or Rem Oil to get carbon in the bore. These days I don’t worry as much about copper fouling and let the rifle tell me when to knock the copper out.

For lubricating oil, I have used Mobil 1 5W30 for years.
Posted By: Tom_in_VT Re: Gun Care? - 04/20/21
Montana extreme to get out copper. Outers nitro or #9 for the rest. I do like rem oil or frog lube also.
Posted By: Wideopen Re: Gun Care? - 04/21/21
Patch Out (I also use their accelerator with it) works very well at getting the copper. I've used all kinds of copper solvents but ended up settling on Patch Out since you don't get the obnoxious ammonia fumes with it.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Gun Care? - 04/21/21

Hoppe’s No. 9 and BreakFree CLP
Posted By: Heeler Re: Gun Care? - 04/21/21
Wipe Out and Ed’s Red for the bore. Rem oil on the outside

For deep clean of parts I like Break Free CLP and Kroil.
Posted By: McInnis Re: Gun Care? - 04/21/21
Hoppe’s does pretty good with copper, you just have to let it soak overnight. I have a .270 Win and I’ve shot a lot of TSX bullets through it but Hoppe’s gets it clean.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Gun Care? - 04/21/21
Boretech. Finish and done.
© 24hourcampfire