Home
Well sorta....

Screwed a pre-fit McGowen 6mm Creedmoor Tikka lite contour 22.5” barrel on a stainless T3 action.

Shots 2-4 on the new barrel
100 yards
Hornady black 105 bthp

Tossed a 3-15x42 LHT on in a hurry and shot 20 min after sunset from the back deck. Fired 3 shots in fast succession using only a barricade bag as a front rest, immediately after walking 100 yards to and from target to find my first shot cause it missed the paper.

My goal was to just get the scope mounted and on paper for some real testing a later date. Since I already had a target set at 100 yards, I just started there and didn’t take time to boresight or set a target closer.

Think it has potential-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Bad ass! I have two customs built on Tikka actions. Big fan...

Ps. I have not had great results with that bullet, so your gun shows potential.
I think you have a winner there.
I’ll take it. Pm coming.

Oh, sorry. Wrong forum.

My Howa likes that ammo too. Just not quite that well....grin
Nice. Does McGowan do shouldered or barrel nut prefits?
Nice! Thinking about a similar project.
Originally Posted by KU_Geo
Nice. Does McGowan do shouldered or barrel nut prefits?

Mine is shouldered. Not sure if they even often a barrel nut version or not.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Have you had anything that you was pleased with or had good results with? I’ve never been around a 6mm that wouldn’t shoot that bullet.

Great shooting to the OP
I'd like to see more manufacturers building hunting rifles in 6 Creed. My Nosler is incredibly accurate, but I won't spend that kind of money for a rifle for my grandson.
They’re here, and more on the way, I think. I scored one of the $250 Howa barreled actions and put it in a $150 Weatherby stock. Can’t do much better than that for a solid rifle. I see that chambering at all price levels now.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They’re here, and more on the way, I think. I scored one of the $250 Howa barreled actions and put it in a $150 Weatherby stock. Can’t do much better than that for a solid rifle. I see that chambering at all price levels now.

Same here, mine is a great rifle and paying 250 for the whole barreled action didn't hurt my feelings a bit.

The Tikka as a 6 CM would be pretty slick too, that's probably not a bad way to roll.
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Have you had anything that you was pleased with or had good results with? I’ve never been around a 6mm that wouldn’t shoot that bullet.

Great shooting to the OP

That's probably the worst 6mm bullet I've tried in several guns. If you actually shot you'd know what real accuracy is.
You could probably get by with that accuracy smile
Yeah, that gun is a shooter for sure. I ran 115 dtacs in my 6 creed. Current running them in my 6 SLR. Using 103 ELD's in my 243. The 105 Scenar is also an easy bullet to get to shoot...
I snagged a few of those $250 Howa’s also and have a heavy barreled one in a Bravo. They are all shooters also.
Originally Posted by Wesley2
I snagged a few of those $250 Howa’s also and have a heavy barreled one in a Bravo. They are all shooters also.

I wished I got a few more for Christmas gifts.
Schweet!
Great shooting Wesley2!

Those Hornady 105 hpbt's shoot great and are what I would call the "easy button" in a properly twisted rifle.
I hate that I missed out on those barreled actions.
Not a fan of Tikka’s but been dying to screw together a 6mm CM.

WoW! Nice Score...
I think, I would rather have the 6mm CM over it's brother the 6.5...
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

+1

Agreed. 6 Creedmoor is a great cartridge
I had a 6cm barrel made for one of my tikkas as well. Also snagged one of the Howa actions of a member here, and have a 6cm barrel on order for my Sig Cross.

I love th 6xc, and have had a number of rifles in that clambering. The 6cm is so close, but available at the store in a pinch. It's becoming one of my favorite chamberings.
Originally Posted by lapua6547

What's going on with you guys???

The correct answer is: BOTH.

grin
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

grin

Had both and the 6.5 just set in the rack
Originally Posted by pullit

grin

Had both and the 6.5 just set in the rack

Have both, and both get used a lot. wink
I’m seriously contemplating offing my last remaining 6.5 (stainless Howa w/ a threaded barrel) and keeping only a stable of 6 Creedmoors and a couple 270s.

I played with a lot of numbers last night and for deer killing inside of 500 yards, I just can’t convince myself of any reason why I’d choose the 6.5CM over the 6CM.

6CM is flatter, bucks the wind as good or better and energy is a coin flip at 500 yards with both having more than enough.

Somebody talk me into keeping the 6.5......Please

Hunter exclusively with the 6CM the past few seasons and haven’t once thought I needed a larger caliber.
The creed case is pretty small. In my opinion it works better with 6mm bullets. The 6.5 creed is a dog with 140's.... I have a 6.5 creed and run 123's. For some reason everyone runs 140's in their 6.5. Usually followed by some bullschit claim of 2900fps. 2650 is more realistic...
I think you should get rid of the 6.5CM stuff and sell it to me. I love it.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Don’t feel bad. With your “luck” I’m sure if any of them were defective, it would be the one you got.

Don’t feel bad. With your “luck” I’m sure if any of them were defective, it would be the one you got.

Thanks for the reminder. I just picked up a Henry 327 Federal from my FFL today. Guess what?
The creed case is pretty small. In my opinion it works better with 6mm bullets. The 6.5 creed is a dog with 140's.... I have a 6.5 creed and run 123's. For some reason everyone runs 140's in their 6.5. Usually followed by some bullschit claim of 2900fps. 2650 is more realistic...

I was running 130's out of my 6.5 because I did not like the vel. with the heavy bullets

For the record, I have been a 260 guy long before a 6.5 CM every came on the seen and I ran 130's in it for the same reason
I believe 130's are ideal for that cartridge.

Thanks for the reminder. I just picked up a Henry 327 Federal from my FFL today. Guess what?

Their CS is great.

If they’d offer that in the SS, it would sorely tempt me.

grin

I can see that..
© 24hourcampfire