Home
Different folks like different shiit obviously, I’ve got enough soulless McMillan stainless killin rifles. Bout 25 years ago I acquired a browning B78 22-250 a Ol boy from Toledo Washington had, gents name was Alex Oberg. As stuff comes and goes, especially when your young and you got a young family, stuff/wares comes and goes... years passed and a B78 has always been in the back of my mind. Fast forward to a couple months ago, want ads and searching, finally found one with the help of a member here in a caliber I’ve shot since I was 10, 6mm Remington. Picked er up this evening, god damn I forgot just how nice a B78 feels/shoulders. Now to find a gloss leupold and go ghost some bucks. 👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good on ya!

Enjoy!

GWB
Very sweet!! Get ya some IMR 4350 and let the good times roll.
H 450 was the sweet spot but....

Since it was a little slower burning than 4350
I’d sure try IMR 4831. It has to be close to
H 450.

Good lookin rifle Jud.

Jerry
Nice! Not sure I've ever seen one of those but I like it!
That’s an awesome rifle buddy!! What power Leupold you thinking of mounting on it?
Wow, cool gun. I'm not familiar with those. Just got my 6mm completed, taking it shooting this weekend for first time. Always wanted a 6mm, hope it shoots.
Beautiful
Great score J-Man.. that’s a cool pic all the way around.
Sexy indeed!
Very nice! Chambered in a great cartridge too.
Love it!
Very nice indeed!
Very nice.

I just found a pristine 1885 .30/06, but I’m letting it lie. Have too many as it is and limited time to use them as it is. And frankly, 9 1/2 pound rifles aren’t kind to my old knees and hips. I’m content with my two Low Walls.
If I ever found one of those Browning Traditional Hunter low walls in 30-30 Win., I would justify buying it in a heart beat. RJ
That is a beauty!!

PennDog
Originally Posted by rj308
If I ever found one of those Browning Traditional Hunter low walls in 30-30 Win., I would justify buying it in a heart beat. RJ

Toying with the idea of having one done in 475 Turnbull.

ya!

GWB
That would be cool GW.
Just something about blued steel and nice wood that feels “right “..
Originally Posted by Judman

Amen to that...they've become a rarity.

Could not have said it better myself......

come to think of it, I've been saying that for years!

ya!

GWB
Nice rig ya got there Jud! 👍
A nice piece of wood warms the heart. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/[url=https://postimg.cc/YGpZnzbL][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]url] .[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Well my B-78 is a 30-06 and it's a tack driver. Like someone said, a 9.5 pound rifle isn't very kind to antique knees and bad backs so mine is used strictly as a range toy now. It puts 220 gr. cast bullets into nice little groups.
Paul B.
GSPfan

Gorgeous wood in that stock.

Jerry
PJ

I like this:

"Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them."

That's why they don't teach History these days! shocked
mad

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall
PJ

I like this:

"Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them."

mad

Jerry
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Originally Posted by jwall
PJ

I like this:

mad

Jerry

Unfortunately very true. There are young adults who don't believe the Holocaust was real. Someday soon I hope the sheep wake up

Yep and the older I get, the more I appreciate it.
I’d like to have one also, congrats on yours.
...[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Wow! That's a beauty.
Got er scoped up,
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Without a doubt, those B78's are the sexiest rifles I've ever seen, especially with the octagon barrels.

First fell in love with them in the early 80's, when there was no way I could afford one.

Still can't. blush
The B78 looks like the real Browning designed High Hall, which is one of the nicest looking of all single shots. The 78 is undoubtedly a nice looking rifle. Classic action shape and a nicely complementary stock design makes it so. It is really too bad Browning couldn't make the rifle without saddling it with that incredibly stupid trigger system. That trigger and the overly complex firing system produced a rifle where in beauty was truly only skin deep. Still, it's a pretty rifle, for sure. GD
ya done good Judman, ya done good
Thanks Sam 👍

Was a little Leary after reading about the triggers in em. I either lucked out and got a goodun or it’s already been reworked. Thinkin 55’s at 4100 FPS for a dedicated speed goat rifle. 😎
She’s a beaut!
Miroku puts out great rifles and shotguns, no doubt about it.

I still have to get my little low wall down to Oregon for a rebore to 250 Savage. They are just super cool little rifles.
That would be a dandy MM.
Thanks Sam 👍

Was a little Leary after reading about the triggers in em. I either lucked out and got a goodun or it’s already been reworked. Thinkin 55’s at 4100 FPS for a dedicated speed goat rifle. 😎

Man, now that would be a screamer!
The Browning B78 was the predecessor to the Browning 1885. Both are very nice rifles. Winchester also offered a modern 1885, but I never found the fit and finish to be on par with the Brownings. And yes, they shoot VERY well.
Yes sir.
Such a shame that cheek rest is on the wrong side.
I have the same rifle. When you find a load it likes, let me know......
Classic look
My only gripe about Browning's rifles is that high gloss finish. With one exception, every Browning rifle has had that high gloss finish crack along the grain of the wood. The only one that didn't was their clone of of the 1995 Winchester. they didn't use it on that model or the previous owner took it off and didn't finish the job. He definitely took it down to bare wood and it'll be one hell of a job getting it done and looking right. Currently, it hides in shame in the back of the safe.
My B78 and BLR have those cracks in the finish I mentioned. Same with a T-bolt I should never have sold.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Gonna go 760/55 bt outta the gate
I've got one in 6mm Rem with an octagonal barrel that some nameless smith did a pretty good trigger job on. It shoots lights out.
Judman;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and yours.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the new rifle, it brings back a lot of pleasant memories for me as my long time hunting partner used one in .25-06 for years.

His was the one I played with most, but I also brought a trigger back to life on a .30-06 B78 and did some minor tuning.

On buddy's, it'd shoot pretty well with the stock fore end on, but he wanted to see if we could make it dance and let me loose on it.

What I found was that by shimming the fore end so it wasn't touching the barrel or front of the receiver it shot markedly better and more consistently with most loads. Instead of modifying the original, I made a new fore end from 3 layers of laminated Black Walnut and bedded it onto the fore end hanger so it didn't touch anything other than the hanger.

I set the trigger as light as I was able to, then we found a trigger shoe in my stock, modified it to fit and to us, even though of course the scale said there was no difference, the shoe made the trigger feel just a tad lighter.

Anyways, many roads to Mecca and all that Jud, but his took a bunch of coyotes and some local mulie bucks including the biggest one I've ever personally been in on, a wide old 3x4 that went an honest 30" inside.

Hahaha - he actually shot that thing the day before my wife and my 5th anniversary, we didn't get the whole buck out in the first trip and my wife said the next morning, "Well I might as well go with you guys and bring my pack too, no point spending our anniversary apart!"

Buddy still talks about that Jud - and it's our 39th coming up this fall so she's still putting up with my hunting antics. grin

Good luck with that Browning, I'm sure you'll like it.

Dwayne

What charge?
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Judman;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and yours.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the new rifle, it brings back a lot of pleasant memories for me as my long time hunting partner used one in .25-06 for years.

His was the one I played with most, but I also brought a trigger back to life on a .30-06 B78 and did some minor tuning.

On buddy's, it'd shoot pretty well with the stock fore end on, but he wanted to see if we could make it dance and let me loose on it.

What I found was that by shimming the fore end so it wasn't touching the barrel or front of the receiver it shot markedly better and more consistently with most loads. Instead of modifying the original, I made a new fore end from 3 layers of laminated Black Walnut and bedded it onto the fore end hanger so it didn't touch anything other than the hanger.

I set the trigger as light as I was able to, then we found a trigger shoe in my stock, modified it to fit and to us, even though of course the scale said there was no difference, the shoe made the trigger feel just a tad lighter.

Anyways, many roads to Mecca and all that Jud, but his took a bunch of coyotes and some local mulie bucks including the biggest one I've ever personally been in on, a wide old 3x4 that went an honest 30" inside.

Hahaha - he actually shot that thing the day before my wife and my 5th anniversary, we didn't get the whole buck out in the first trip and my wife said the next morning, "Well I might as well go with you guys and bring my pack too, no point spending our anniversary apart!"

Buddy still talks about that Jud - and it's our 39th coming up this fall so she's still putting up with my hunting antics. grin

Good luck with that Browning, I'm sure you'll like it.

Dwayne

Good stuff Dwayne!! Hopefully mine doesn’t need any help!! Haha

What charge?

Looks like 53 is max, I’ll start around there. 👍
Got my eye on one, 30-06.
I would love to find a Low Wall in .30-30 or .22 Hornet at a reasonable price. I had a Clerke High Wall in .22-250 in the 1970s that I wish I still had. Sold it to a cousin to finance a Ruger #1 in .22-250. When tried to buy the Clerke back, I found out it had been stolen.
© 24hourcampfire