Home
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
Though I’m not a fan of their Encores, T/C did make some very respectable and modestly priced rifles over the years. Ventures and Compass rifles were decent and far better than cheaper Savage Axis, Remington 770/783s to name a few.

Will T/C ever make a comeback in today’s market?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
Honestly, they lost me years ago. Not many budget bolt rifles appeal to me, and the best one, the Icon, was plagued, IMO, with
TC style (oogly trigger guard and bolt), which was enough to perhaps put it down, despite some really good points. They backtracked pretty quick with options for both, but you know what they say about first impressions. The newer ones seem to be pretty good, but are in a market full of competitors. Most of the enthusiasts seem to have tried one based on serious discounts, not love at first sight.

Coninkadinkly, I fell pretty sure that all the discounted Tupperware rifles also are serious completion for the switch-barrel models and other players in that niche have undercut them on price as well. I just don’t see much of a profitable path for a new owner. The web is filled with bad reports on current accessory barrels. Don't know if it’s all true or bashing by aftermarket suppliers.
I fear Thompson Center is gone, the muzzleloading rifle market peaked in 2007 which was T/C's primary market share. The economy rifle market also has to many players with too many product offerings for a market that is likely stagnant as well. T/C had a great run and will be missed by many....but not all.
Posted By: MAC Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
T/C screwed up when they ditched the Contender and went to the Encore.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
The best rifles were their TCR 83 Aristocrat introduced in 1983 and TCR 87. Switch barrels that were traditional break open singles shots much more attractive than the Encore line. Back when they were being offered T/C had a major fire that destroyed everything. They never brought the TCR Aristocrat back. It was a nice rifle more inline with a European single shot with switch barrel capability.
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
T/C had the same problem when S&W took over as Marlin did with Remington. When they were small and in NH they made quality with great customer service. The only hope now is that someone takes them over and goes back to basics, but it’s doubtful.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
One of the farmers who rents land from us bought 2 of the Venture IIs, a 223 and a 6.5 CM. He bought the 6.5 CM first and was so impressed by the accuracy of a $375 Cerakoted rifle that he bought a 223 to use for shooting predators.
Posted By: greydog Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
T/C made some great muzzle loaders but everything else they made has some stupid design features. They seemed unable to make a firing mechanism that didn't suck. GD
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
T/C had the same problem when S&W took over as Marlin did with Remington. When they were small and in NH they made quality with great customer service. The only hope now is that someone takes them over and goes back to basics, but it’s doubtful.

I suggested the T/C Venture II to a friend for his first deer rifle, of course in 6.5 Creed. I sighted the rifle in for him using the Hornady 129 gr interlock......just a tad over 1/2 inch for 3 shorts.

My only complaint with the T/C Venture is the rifle is on the heavy side yet a much better synthetic stock than the Ruger or Savage rifles.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
Is T/C now defunct?
Posted By: blairvt Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/14/21
I've killed more deer with a Encore muzzleloader than any other gun I own. I'm happy with it
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/15/21
I'm hoping Lehigh will buy the IP for the old-school Contender. They're already trying to do a better job of those, and my understanding is they were bogged down with S&W in legal issues over IP. Seems simple enough to solve both problems.
Posted By: Kbass Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/15/21
Had a T/C venture in 243 first year they came out, was extremely accurate. Shot Hornady 58g vmax & 95g sst very well. Only complaints were thick handle & back of bolt(firing pin) was open. Snowday hunts it froze up twice. Sold it and upgraded to an x-bolt that couldn't hit broad side of a barn. Wish I had saved the $500.
Posted By: rj308 Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/15/21
The reason they probably won't make a come back, is because their guns are not "Tacti-cool" . Now if they start equipping their rifles with black folding telescoping stocks, full length barrel rails, flash hiders and give them sniper wanabee names, they might have a chance. RJ
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/15/21
Originally Posted by moosemike
Is T/C now defunct?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...thompsoncenter-arms-brand-301282504.html
Posted By: GeoW Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/15/21
Shame!
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/15/21
I have two of their Icons, both with the synthetic stock. They are a bit heavy but they both consistently shoot well.

Besides not having a lefty version I feel the only weakness is the mag box design.
I have a TC Encore stainless/synthetic pistol in .243. Damn thing is super accurate. Fun to shoot deer with.

Buddy bought a TC Icon when they first came out. Shot minute of barn with all ammo and 3 different scopes.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/16/21
I bought a TC venture II in 223/5.56 as some of you know it's one accurate rifle. The stock is a Houge pillar bedded stock.
Very stout, it don't bend and feel like a plastic piece of Tonka toy crap.

The 3 shot magazine helped keep these from selling along with the reputation the Venture I had.
I bought a 5 shot magazine from HGW, it is slick as snot. The 5R rifling is new to me but I like it, it don't copper foul easy, & is a cinch to clean.

The rifle shoots everything good from 50gr handloads to 75gr Hornadys, the 9" twist don't matter, and the muzzle threaded 1x28. Ya
I can load em long, out to 2.380 and get an extra bit of powder before I hit max. The mag is plenty long on both the TC & HGW, like the chamber.

I want to buy another one in 243 because this is a awesome rifle but can't find one, still looking. Damn shame.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/16/21
Just bought a compass for $199 bucks. Maybe they're going to be on clearance now? Hope someone picks them up and keeps them going
Posted By: GeoW Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/16/21
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900509648
I have a TC Renegade .50 caliber I got when I was a kid. I believe you could stuff the thing with rocks and it would shoot good. Shooting open sights those one inch target dots were plenty big enough for it.
Usually ate good when I hunted with it. Dad took it out and killed a 10 point with it, show off.
I always thought contenders were kinda fun also.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/16/21
Anyone interested in 2 TC Icon stainless rifles one in 22-250 and the other in 30-06 let me know. I think they are priced in the mid 6's.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/16/21

That's the first Model Venture rifle, or what they call the Venture I.
Not the Venture II. Close but not close.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/16/21
I lucked into a NIB T/C Firestorm flintlock last year. Stainless and synthetic, it's not what the buckskinners would call "traditional", but it's a snap to clean and more fun to shoot than anything else in the safe. I really miss those old T/C sidelocks. I'm sure they're gone for good.
Originally Posted by MAC
T/C screwed up when they ditched the Contender and went to the Encore.

Yep. And also when they quit making their excellent Hawkens reproductions.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21
TC lost a lot of buyers when they cut out the custom shop Contender barrels. I have not figured out how they could sell a complete bolt action rifle for less than they sell a Contender barrel. I just wish someone would start making affordable Contender and Encore barrels. I thought Bergara would do it, but they some how dropped out of the Encore market and never even ventured into the Contender market.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21
I think Bergara decided to sell expensive rifles instead of reasonably priced Encore barrels.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21
I kept my old Hawken Silver Elite.
TC fugged up w the QLA nonsense.
It has it and has been the biggest PITA MZ Ive ever had.
But damn its good looking. After some headache/ testing it is usable.

Also got a pre G2 stainless Contender. Had a few blued ones and even a G2 stainless, but like the looks of the older ones so got a stainless version

The bolt rigs and even Encores......never liked em.

Maybe Im too old or grumpy, but TC hasnt made anything I want for a long while.

Same for most companies.

Am not against new stuff. Just never subscribed to the gun of the month club.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21
I find the Encores heavy and clunky compared to my Contenders. I also got turned off Encores when TC was sponsoring so many hunting shows. I got tired of hearing, "The Encore put the smackdown on that swamp donkey." I still have my left hand Renegade but haven't shot it in a while. I will remedy that soon as I put a new rear sight on it. The factory sight was taken off to fit a handgun scope. Now that sight is missing and I put a peep on the holes for the factory sight.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21
The worst thing about TC was Greg Ritz. Can't stand that dude
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21

The Huntmaster ? Blasphemy, Yep he packaged them up and sold TC down the river.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21

Agree completely. Arrogant, conceited law-breaker.
I thought ole Jim Shockey was the big T/C Pro Rep ?
Posted By: devnull Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21
How did Greg Ritz come into TC?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/17/21
Originally Posted by devnull
How did Greg Ritz come into TC?

President and CEO before they were bought by S&W.
Posted By: AKPENDUDE Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

He switched to Christensen arms.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/19/21
I don't know if they are coming back or not. My favorite was and is the Early design Contender framed gun. My favorite barrels are bull barrels in 22 rimfire and 30-30 AI. I had a 204 Ruger barrel that may have been the most accurate barrel I ever owned. I couldn't believe it. My favorite pistol barrel was the 10in bull 357. I sort of had a prejudice against the G2 but had several and the triggers can be made pretty good with a little work. My Encores were immediately scoped and taken hunting, Good truck guns. I liked my 270 barrel best but I played with the 300 Win Mag and the 30-06. I hope they come back but there seems to be somebody making most of the parts and barrels so you can keep em running.
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

He switched to Christensen arms.

OK. Haven’t had cable TV in over 3 years now, so I haven’t watched his show in quite a while.
Met him a couple of times. Seemed like a real nice guy.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/19/21
E Auther Brown down the road a piece from me is making and is selling TC products yet. Can walk in and buy or online it.
Posted By: CaptArab Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/19/21
If they had any sense they'd market to the silencer crowd.

16" threaded encores and contenders with AR stocks and pistol grips are pretty cool, and it's nice that you can fit that little breech loader in a deer stand with a 8" can screwed on.

There's some really cool threads on rokslide of folks building rigs like that.

Seems like they'd make it a factory option.

I met Gregg Ritz once at Bass Pro Shops Fall Hunting Expo. I was surprised to see him at a local expo asking why he came down from New Hampshire to attend. Gregg told me he was raised in west Baltimore and was using the weekend to see family.

After seeing Gregg Ritz on many hunting shows I was surprised how short he was.....like 5"4" maybe.

Gregg Ritz during certainly was controversial during his time at T/C. Even the management at Hornady often said T/C was difficult to work with....Ritz new found fame went to his head.

I will give Gregg Ritz credit for this...he understood the gun industry and gun dealers. The two most successful gun launches "EVER" in the gun industry were the T/C Encore along with the T/C Omega rifle. Gregg knew gun dealers wanted to have guns presold and all the gun dealer had to do was hand the gun to the customer. Hence why so much marketing dollars were spent on the T/C Encore and Omega rifles. Of course during this time
muzzle loading rifles and hunting were all the rage so Greg was at the right place at the right time. Greg did put T/C on the map as a manufacturer. How Gregg accomplished this "personally" is the controversy that will for ever follow him.

Market timing was not in Smith an Wesson favor. Black powder guns had peaked when S&W acquired T/C with sales of BP rifles down 40% with-in 2 years which was disastrous.
Posted By: Dre Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/19/21
Hope not
Really enjoy shooting my venture. Very under rated
Posted By: ihookem Re: Is T/C gone for good? - 06/21/21
I was very fond of their Encore,,,,, till I bought a TC Hawken. It is a very nice gun, so nice that I bought a new Renegade for $300 , then another for $300 so I have 3 and that should be it for my life. I might sell the Encore and my Impact . I just dont use them anymore since I got my Hawken and two Renegades.

I also have a TC Venture in .243Win. in a compact model. It is a fairly decent gun. I dont like the whimpy 1/8" wide trigger. It is a bit heavy for a compact though.
© 24hourcampfire