Home
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Colt sauer rifles - 07/04/21
What's the good the bad and the ugly on these rifles just curious about them how they shoot and if there are any know. Problems/issues with them. What's the going rate on them for purchase I know where a couple of them will be available for sale soon. Thanks in advance
Posted By: hanco Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/04/21
Google Are Colt Sauer rifles any good? A lot will come up. I’ve only seen one, looked well made.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/04/21
a few years ago i saw some Colt Sauer magazines for sale in a gun shop, dang they were expensive
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/04/21
They’re high quality but too pretty to drag through the brush
Posted By: Biebs Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/04/21
Quite similar to a Sauer 202....one of my favorite rifles.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/04/21
Beautiful rifles. Check the wrist carefully for cracks if you buy one. Quite a few have cracked, and replacement stocks are rare and costly.
Posted By: greydog Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/04/21
The Colt Sauer is a classic example of a very poor design,executed very well. Glossy, smooth, fragile, and really nothing to recommend it. I once got a good payday for replacing the aluminum trigger lever with a duplicate of steel. GD
Posted By: jwall Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/05/21
I never owned a C S but that didn’t stop me from wanting 1.

I was around 3 diff Colt J P Sauer & Sons rifles.
I always drooled over them.

My ? is,

How do current Colt S rifles compare to the early
ones imported by Colt ?

Jerry
Posted By: pal Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/05/21
Colt Sauers are among the finest collectable rifles out there, far better looking than Weatherby. Fit and finish are exquisite, the bluing highly polished, super accurate, and the actions as smooth as butter. I have owned them in .22-250, .243, .30-06 and .375 H&H. Deeply regret having to pass them along.
Posted By: hanco Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/05/21
Originally Posted by greydog
The Colt Sauer is a classic example of a very poor design,executed very well. Glossy, smooth, fragile, and really nothing to recommend it. I once got a good payday for replacing the aluminum trigger lever with a duplicate of steel. GD

They one I saw did have a funny design, never seen anything like it since.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/06/21
My oldest boy inherited one from grandpa, an unfired 7mm Rem Mag, with a glossy 2-7 Leupold and several boxes of late 90s vintage Federal premium 160 partitions. Beautiful rifle, he has decided to leave it as unfired.
Posted By: Jpterry Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/06/21
I have one in 270 and they are gorgeous rifles. Beautiful wood on them and bluing is amazing...Colt Royal Blue level. Action is extremely smooth, excellent trigger and mine shoots factory Nosler 140ABs inside 1/2". Mine weighs 7.5lbs bare rifle.

The rear action tang has no relief in stock, Colt and Sauer wanted a clean tight fit to stock. It looks great with no gap but can lead to the cracks in stock grip. Simple fix to relieve the area a little.

Parts are hard to come by but that's true with a lot of older rifles that were not massed produced.
Posted By: jwall Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/06/21
Originally Posted by 2five7
My oldest boy inherited one from grandpa, an unfired 7mm Rem Mag, with a glossy 2-7 Leupold and several boxes of late 90s vintage Federal premium 160 partitions. Beautiful rifle, he has decided to leave it as unfired.

I've thot about this since last night. I understand his reasoning and sentimental value to a point......

but the rifle was built to Hunt & Shoot. I really think I would hunt it FOR Gpa.

Jerry
Posted By: VernAK Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/06/21
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Beautiful rifles. Check the wrist carefully for cracks if you buy one. Quite a few have cracked, and replacement stocks are rare and costly.

My buddy and I each bought one in 300 Wby and both broke/cracked in the wrist. We paid $$$ for replacement stocks and his cracked a second time and his kids still have it.
I got rid of mine while it looked good.

They seemed to shoot well.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by BobBrown
They’re high quality but too pretty to drag through the brush

When on your first hunt with a pristine Colt Sauer rifle, toss it into the nearest briar patch, and put a few scratches in the wood. Then you can enjoy hunting it on a regular basis without worry! grin
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by jwall
I never owned a C S but that didn’t stop me from wanting 1.

I was around 3 diff Colt J P Sauer & Sons rifles.
I always drooled over them.

My ? is,

How do current Colt S rifles compare to the early
ones imported by Colt ?

Jerry

Current production JP Sauer rifles, such as the 404, are extremely well built and are of very high quality. It’s an expensive production rifle but is very accurate and handsome.
Posted By: wayno945 Re: Colt sauer rifles - 07/13/21
A good friend of mine inherited several from his father. If anyone is interested, I can pass along his information.
© 24hourcampfire