Home
Anyone have any experience with these rifles yet? Im tossin around one in a all steel barrel in 6.5 PRC.
I have a hankering to try one myself. Tag
I wanted one, but have never seen one or found them in stock anywhere
Originally Posted by pullit
I wanted one, but have never seen one or found them in stock anywhere

Outpost Armory had one in the case a couple weeks back. Might check with them. I believe it was $2100 but could be mistaken.
I was chomping at the bit for a 6 Creedmoor with adjustable comb but grew weary of the wait – went the build route instead.

Gunbroker has had a bunch for quite a while but mostly all chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. And Springfield Armory is/was zero help with inquiries when others might be available.
Two days ago I saw about a dozen of the carbon barrel ones on GB, all 6.5CM. Those are 22" OK length I think. The prices are starting to go below retail. Thinking one can be had for approx. $1850 w/the carbon barrel, a lot of goodies for the money

Does anyone recognize the action? Looks like Bergara, but I'm way from sure on that.

Disappointed myself at their barrel length choice for the 6CM @ 20" &, they've got a Triggertech in them, but it only goes down to 2.5#.
I handled a shorty carbon .308 this morning. I think it was around $2,200 on the tag. I liked the ergos and the balance. The palm swell wasn't overdone like McMillan's A-series stocks.
They should be great rifles out of the box for that money
Smoky Mtn Knife Works has them in stock now. They had a 308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor last Friday. Pretty nice rifle IMO
I got to handle on at my local shop yesterday, retail was like $2300 which seemed a bit high. The rifle was just ok and the AG stock was ok too, didn't inspire me in any way. For what it's worth, I own four Christensen Arms Ridgelines and prefer them to the Springfield. If I were to get one, it would be a steel barrel version, the carbon barrel model has a carbon sleeve over the barrel, with airspace in between, not like Proof and CA where they wrap the carbon around a steel barrel. I think Weatherby is using the same barrels.
Springfield is using a unique design wherein the carbon is not wrapped around the steel, but is floating around the steel inner barrel, with a gap of air in between the two. This allows Springfield to tension the barrel and also provide some temperature insulation.
https://gununiversity.com/springfield-2020-waypoint-review/
I'd get the fluted SS barrel version also, with the fixed stock. The 20" .308 version should make a good suppressor host, but I'd wait and see what kind of accuracy folks are getting.

Good to know it is AG making the stock, as I was wondering.....
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Springfield is using a unique design wherein the carbon is not wrapped around the steel, but is floating around the steel inner barrel, with a gap of air in between the two. This allows Springfield to tension the barrel and also provide some temperature insulation.

I thought the object of the carbon fiber wrapped barrel was for the composite layer to act as a heat sink and pull the heat away from the barrel. I would think that an airspace between the two would hinder that process.
The composite doesn't pull heat away from the actual barrel but rather acts more as an insulator. That's why you can shoot a string and still touch or hold contact with skin against the composite layer on the barrel. If there's actual airspace it would act as an cooling mechanism somewhat. Carbon wrap acts as an insulator instead of an conductor.
Thanks 257 bob. That was a good reveiw. Kinda what i was lookin for. Good points by everyone else also! Still not sure of the purchase. gonna think on it awhile.
© 24hourcampfire