Home
Anyone doing it?
I have a 6.5CM Kimber Hunter that I'm loading with the 100gr.TTSX. I'm wondering if anyone here has done it. I know the TTSX likes to be loaded well off the lands. Question is what have you found as a COAL sweetspot?
Thanks
Jim
I did it in the 260, which is the same case capacity. I found 3,200fps was possible with a book max load of Big Game in a 22" factory barrel. The Creed should be capable of close to the same. The 100TTSX is a good little killer.
Thanks JPro. I fully agree with you about the 100TTSX capability. I'm anticipating about the same velocity. MY specific question concerns COAL sweetspot in the 6.5CM with this bullet.
Sad to say the "sweet spot" is something each rifle decides.
rickt300
That's what I was thinking but I'm hoping that there may be something close to or approaching a consensus.
I like the 120’s, super accurate in my three Crudmoors. They hammer pigs.
A bud does for his youngest boy who is 17. The kid won't let him load any other bullets.

He had killed about a dozen deer and no telling how many pigs with it in the last 10 years.

They really like the way they work.

No clue on OAL. Just build a few and see where accuracy is.
Originally Posted by hanco
I like the 120’s, super accurate in my three Crudmoors. They hammer pigs.

Shoot great in mine but I'm going to try the 100's. Not a necessity just a wanna.
No deer will survive. Lots of target ammo for the Creedmoor, not enough hunting ammo. I know everyone thinks it's the perfect 400 yard cartridge, and it might be. But it's also great for 75 yard shots on deer and I don't need a .623 bc bullet to do that
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
A bud does for his youngest boy who is 17. The kid won't let him load any other bullets.

He had killed about a dozen deer and no telling how many pigs with it in the last 10 years.

They really like the way they work.

No clue on OAL. Just build a few and see where accuracy is.

You know, I hear all kinds of positives about them. I'm anxious to get some working.
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
No deer will survive. Lots of target ammo for the Creedmoor, not enough hunting ammo. I know everyone thinks it's the perfect 400 yard cartridge, and it might be. But it's also great for 75 yard shots on deer and I don't need a .623 bc bullet to do that

Whitetail harvest is the goal. If I can get them to shoot minute of buck shoulder under 250 yards I'll be using them.
I do know they like RL-15.
Originally Posted by Rug3
Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert

Whitetail harvest is the goal. If I can get them to shoot minute of buck shoulder under 250 yards I'll be using them.

There isn't a deer alive that will shake them off if you can shoot. If you can't then it doesn't matter what you use.
I just recently loaded some up for my 8 year old son for this deer season. I loaded them with H4350 44 gr. at 2.800” OAL. Wanted something on the lower recoil end for him. He’ll be held to a max of 150 yards with it. This is the only load I tried and got .642” at 100.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I use the 100 TTSX with 45+ gr Varget in a Lapua case with a F210 0.010” off of the lands in a .260. Should work in the CM as well. Found best accuracy right at 3100 fps, though they will go faster.

The work wonderfully on deer up 250 pounds and pigs of the same size.
Not exactly what you were asking but I have loaded 100 gr NBT's in a 260 (same as a CM without all the hype ) for years. This combo has taken more than a few deer and all have been "bang/flops". I am loading a max charge (according to Hodgdon manual) of H414 and with a 22 inch barrel I am getting 3250 FPS. Recoil is about like a 243 so not bad at all.
The Barnes TTSX would be a tougher bullet for sure, but the NBT do a fine job for me.
Subscribed
Originally Posted by Rug3
Anyone doing it?
I have a 6.5CM Kimber Hunter that I'm loading with the 100gr.TTSX. I'm wondering if anyone here has done it. I know the TTSX likes to be loaded well off the lands. Question is what have you found as a COAL sweetspot?
Thanks
Jim

Just going from memory here, so might be wrong, but IIRC, Barnes recommends starting about .050” from the lands and testing from there. Most of what folks seem to report indicates they like a lot of jump.

John
I load all my TSX bullets whatever the caliber to a length that aligns the rim of the case with the cannelure on the bullet that most closely matches the SAAMI OAL, then I crimp the case with a Lee crimp die. I may not get the best accuracy this way, but I get sub MOA with every rifle I've done this with. I'm a hunter not a shooter and I could easily load and unload the same 4-5 cartridges 50 times during deer season. The crimp gives me confidence that my ammo is going to stay consistent through all that chambering and unloading.
Thanks
Some really helpful information here men,
100gr Skinners
Do the 100 TTSX exit deer?
I’m betting the 120 TTSX would be great!
I’m switching to 120s as well they’re a hammer
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Easily. No reason it shouldn't.

Hogs too.

They do indeed exit. That's one of the neat things about a well-loaded 260/6.5CM/6.5x47L, is that they really aren't far off a 25-06 pushing 100's (maybe 100-150fps), but can also shoot the heavies.
You have to figure a mono retains 99-100% of its original weight.

Take a cup and core .284 bullet weighing 140 grains it will have to retain just over 70% of its weight to still weigh 100 grains after penetrating. There are a lot of standard cup and core bullets that will barely retain that much when driven 2900+. Several more that won't touch 70% retention.

Just because a mono is light doesn't mean it won't dig deep.

I have only messed with monos 1 time but if I were doing it again I would stay light for caliber and drive them as fast as I could for maximum shock. The penetration will take care of itself.
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Short answer, yes. Have never recovered one.

Young nephew shot two pigs with one shot last year with the 100 TTSX from a .260. It exited both pigs, which are denser and tougher than deer.
Originally Posted by JPro
They do indeed exit. That's one of the neat things about a well-loaded 260/6.5CM/6.5x47L, is that they really aren't far off a 25-06 pushing 100's (maybe 100-150fps), but can also shoot the heavies.

I haven't hand loaded for my 260 yet (700ti barrel on a 725), but I haven't found any factory ammo that it likes except in 140 gr. 2 days ago, it put 3 Corelokts and 3 Fed Premium 140s into the same ragged hole in prep for an upcoming caribou hunt. If I take that rifle. I can live with that. These two were also more accurate than the Remington Express Match 140, and the ???? Elite 130s I also tried, both of which went about 5 inches higher. Good enough groups to hunt with tho, if I need to. With adjustment, of course.

The worst group it has ever shot was with Barnes 120 TSX factory - about 5 inches for a 5 shot group at 100 yards. Just didn't like those things (nor 160 gr bullets.). It knows what it wants, and nothing else!!!! smile
Just shot my Kimber Montana in 6.5C for the first time today. 127 Barnes LRX, bullets seated to the first cannelure and crimped as I described above. This load was the best group @ 100 yds & 2800 fps, but every load I tested was pretty close. I think I could have shot quite a bit better if I had remembered to bring decent targets.

Attached picture IMG_0048.jpeg
Ain’t nothing more to mess with there!
Originally Posted by JPro
The lightweight Hammer bullets would make for an easy point and shoot option for the 6.5s. They are claiming 3400fps from the 85gr Hunter and nearly 3500fps from the 97gr Absolute. Thinking of giving these a whirl in my 260. If those speeds are attainable or even close, coupled with the way the Hammers open, I cannot see them working very well on deer.

https://hammerbullets.com/product/264-cal-85g-hammer-hunter/

https://hammerbullets.com/product/264-cal-97g-absolute-hammer/
Tagging this thread. Good info here.
Reworked my 100gr TTSX load on my T3 260. Had them loaded with 4451 @ 2980 fps. Had some 4064 laying around and settled on 3310fps at under an inch. Could get similar results in Creed, but YMMV.
Load up 3 each at .050", .075", .100", .125" and .150" off the lands and go shoot them. The rifle/bullet will tell you how far off it likes.

Alan
© 24hourcampfire