Home
Posted By: WAM What brand rifles do you prefer? - 07/31/21
There are many good choices in bolt action and modern sporting rifles these days. What are your favorites? I think some ‘Fire members prefer their favorite model / brands and own a bunch of them. How about you?

My battery just for fun:

Weatherby Mk V
Remington 700 LA
Remington 700 SA
Savage 99
Savage 111
Ruger 77
Weatherby Vanguard
Winchester 70
Bushmaster
DPMS
PSA

Disclaimer: inventory just before tragic canoe accident.
Tikka.
Are lever guns a brand?

Savage 1899/99s
BLRs
Win 94s
Marlin JM XLRs
Winchester M 70

Weatherby Mark V

Sako

Mauser 98.

CZ 550

Interarms Mark X
Winchester Model 70......New Haven manufacture! memtb
I had quite a few before my canoe accident as well, but my favorites were:

Winchester M70
Weatherby MKV
Weatherby Vanguard
Tikka
Sako
Browning X Bolt
New Haven M70 Classic
Ruger 77 MKII/Hawkeye
Flagship models:
Win Model 70 - Pre-64 and XTR Featherweight
Ruger M77 Mark II/Hawkeye
Just getting into old Mauser actions, but really liking them so far.

Budget models:
Marlin X-7
Ruger. Specifically M77 tang safety models, simply for sentimental reasons - memories of my first new bolt-action centerfire, bought back in '78.
I've owned other brands, but keep coming back to these.
these days the ruger 77. i have/had a dozen or more of various types and never had a dud yet.
Remington M700
CZ527
Ruger 77

Not necessarily in that order. The cartridge decides for me.
My Favs that I had.

98 Mauser
Win 70 post 64--- pre S C. (they are too bulbous for me)
Rem 700
Colt (J P Sauer & Sohns)
S W aka Howa aka Vanguard
Tikka T 3 and 3X Lite SS
Rem M Six

Unfortunately I reached retirement age w/o sufficient $$$$$ and had to liquidate. cry cry cry
NO money changed hands, guns for clothes & food. sick embarrassed

Jerry
Break down into "have" and "prefer" (all Left Hand):

Have:
> Rem 700
> Rem 581
> MRC M1999
> Ruger 77/22H

Prefer:
> (unobtanium) LH Kimber Mtn Ascent
> (scarce) LH Sako MRI Mtn Eagle
> (scarce) LH Win M70
> Rem 700

While there are several options that I "prefer" over a Rem 700, price and availability of rifles and after market parts generally lead me back to the 700...
Favs, Winchester by far, and I have 3, but no pre 64 rifles. My second favorite rifle is a Mod 94 made in 1971. And I'm very much considering a new Mod 70 Supergrade in 30-06. My favorite deer rifle now is a Tikka M65 made in 1975, 30-06! I have no doubt that from here on out, everything else would be in 2nd place behind the Tikka whatever I may get!
In my safe, I have several Tikkas, two 700s (built 257Wby Mag & a 700Titanium) & two Barrett Fieldcrafts.
Marlin 336/1895
Savage 99
Winchester 70 Featherweight
Ruger M77 Hawkeye/MKII
Remington 700 Mountain
Husqvarna lightweight
Howa/Smith and Wesson/Weatherby Vanguard
1. Ruger 77, mk2 or Hawkeye
2. Win model 70. South Carolina production
Mulling this over and the answers aren't as clear cut as they used to be to me....

I prefer the early Remington 700's with the high gloss bluing and cut checkering...
Commercial FN Mauser actioned customs
Pre 64 Model 70's

In rimfires I prefer the early Winchesters- 69A, 75, 52's, Kimber 82 of Oregon , and Remington 541S, 541T, 40X
Weatherby
Tikka
Sako
Savage
I have been gravitating towards model 70 Winchesters as well. Both factory and custom.
Pre 64 Winchester Model 70
Marlin Ballard
Model 70's. I have, or have had, pre-war Standard Grade, pre-64 FW, G models including Rangers, Classic FW's, Classic Magnums and a newer FW with a one piece floorplate.
Rem 700
Win M70
Marlin 336
Win 94
Savage 99
Tikka
Ruger Hawkeye
Wthby vanguard
Howa 1500
Win mod 70 extreme sporter
Mauser 18
Sauer 100
TC Icon
No overall preference. I do like M98 and 77s tho.

For specific purposes/ what I want to use on a particular day/ it might be M94, 98, 725, 700, 70, or 77. I don't own any of the others, tho...... only those. smile. Oh yeah, there's also the POS Rem 780 or whatever that thing is. Felt obligated to buy it (long story), but haven't messed with it enough to develop a feel for it yet. Seems to shoot ok tho.

770 - my bad
Mainly Ruger and Remington bolt guns I’ve accumulated over the years. If I had to start over today, I’d likely begin with an SS Tikka or Sako for out-of-the-box performance.
I own Remington, Ruger, and Tikka.
Going forward it will be Tikka.

Bolt action - Remington 700
Lever action - Marlin 336
Muzzleloader- CVA
Shotgun - Ithaca 37 pump 16 ga.
Pump riflle (centerfire) - Remington
Bolt 22LR- ( iron sights) - Winchester 69A
Bolt 22 LR scoped - CZ 452
I have never been brand sensitive but the ones that really have rung my bell are:

Sako Finnwolf 243, to me it was perfect until I broke it beyond repair.

Marlin Guide Gun 45/70, w/ ghost ring sights it is my favorite go for a walk rifle.

Tikka T3 lite 308 w SS 3-9 HD scope, my go everywhere truck gun.

Daniel Defense mid length 16" AR 5.56. Indestructible, so far.

mike r
I Love my older model Sako's, L579's,AIII and AV

Remington 700's but none are stock, all have been trued with trigger work

CZ 527's for the little stuff
Mauser.
In the order I remember them…..

Barrett FC
FN
Ruger Hawkeye
Howa
CZ (RF)
M70 CRF
Browning 1885

If I don’t like them, they go away. These are staying. I like two-lug Sakos, but don’t have any now. Fine rifles though.
Damn! I like so many but in My safe right now are a few Kimbers and I always keep a Tikka around for bad weather hunts....I could also but satisfied with a few of the new Model 70's, the ones I have been around are excellent....Hb
For local hunting, my preference is a Remington 7600.
I've grown to like my Tikka, but honestly think the Sig Cross is going to overtake it this year.
Remington 700 and 40-X followed by Weatherby MK V
Kinda of depends on the platform.

Bolt action, Remington Model 700’s in multiple calibers.
Lever actions, JM Marlins 336/94/95s (been wanting ones in 38-55 and 35 Remington)
22’s, most used is my Ruger 10-22, but I also have an old one with a tube magazine.
Autos are all over the place. Depends on the caliber and usage.

I like a Mauser or Mauser action if I could find a affordable one that wasn’t crap/ way over priced. Last time I went to the gun show, it was both. Some guy at a table with a Duba-duba 2 bring back that looked like some one had used as a trunk gun. Dude wanted $1000 for it. “I know whut I got.” I just walked off.
Tikka - favorite for several reasons. First is accuracy. Second is they fit me well.
Steyr - I know they’re ugly. But, they’re crazy accurate.
Remington 700 LSS - that’s how a rifle should look.

I like Browning BAR also. An automatic in a magnum round makes me smile.
Factory? Seekins Havak
Pre 64 M70
The list of rifles I won't own is short.

My top choice is Savage.

The thing I like about Remington is all the aftermarket parts and clones. I can build one to like a Savage 🤣🤣
Originally Posted by WAM
There are many good choices in bolt action and modern sporting rifles these days. What are your favorites? I think some ‘Fire members prefer their favorite model / brands and own a bunch of them. How about you?

My battery just for fun:

Weatherby Mk V
Remington 700 LA
Remington 700 SA
Savage 99
Savage 111
Ruger 77
Weatherby Vanguard
Winchester 70
Bushmaster
DPMS
PSA

And just think, you could narrow that chitty list down to a mere 2 at most. Pre 64 model 70 and Tikka..
Originally Posted by memtb
Winchester Model 70......New Haven manufacture! memtb

Excellent choice my friend. For me, I'd add Tikka to the list. Those rifles are damn good shooters....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The reasons for my choices:

1. They shoot lights out. No question about it
2. They don't have mechanical failures like some of these other suggestions. Bolt handles don't fall off and they don't go bang when you push the safety forward.
3. They are light and handy. Did I mention they shoot sub moa for 5 shots easily, with some producing that kind of accuracy with 10 shots.
Pre-64 Model 70's, factory and custom.
98 Mauser/Browning Safari.
M-70 Classics [NH].
1886 Winchester originals, Browning '86 replicas.
'71 Winchester.
'74 Sharps, originals, Shiloh and C-Sharps.
Originally Posted by WAM

My battery just for fun:

Weatherby Mk V
Remington 700 LA
Remington 700 SA
Savage 99
Savage 111
Ruger 77
Weatherby Vanguard
Winchester 70
Bushmaster
DPMS
PSA

You had a boating accident as well? My sympathies.

My List:

Weatherby Mk V
Browning X
Tikka T3x
Model 70
Ruger No 1
Ruger M77
Kimber 8400 or 84

Originally Posted by HaYen

My top choice is Savage.

The thing I like about Remington is all the aftermarket parts and clones. I can build one to like a Savage 🤣🤣

That's funny. Savage is the only brand to have never disappointed me.
Originally Posted by HaYen

My top choice is Savage.

For me the only rifle that I WILL NEVER own is a Weatherby of any kind.
One of my hunting buddies would never let me forget it, on the flip side if he were to buy what he calls a "Jamington" I would never let him forget it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only brand of rifle I ever had a problem with was Remington (and Remington-made Marlin). I had a Remington 552 with a rear sight so far out of whack that it could not be adjusted right far enough to get it even close to zeroed. And I have a Remington-made Marlin 1894 .44 that had canted sights/barrel, a canted magazine tube, a broken front tenon screw and a mismatched stock. Remington took care of all the issues, and on the Marlin, they restocked it with what looked like near AA grade walnut. Very happy with Remington service, but sorry I had to use them at all.

The brands for me that seem to be perpetually stellar is Browning and Winchester. They've always been good, but since FN took over, IMO, they're even better. Anything coming out of Miroku is usually top notch. And Browning's Viana, Portugal plant is turning out Winchester Model 70s (and Winchester and Browning semi-auto shotguns) that are as good or better than they've ever been produced somewhere else.
Originally Posted by jwall
My Favs that I had.

98 Mauser
** --> Win 70 post 64--- pre S C. (they are too bulbous for me) <
Rem 700
Colt (J P Sauer & Sohns)
S W aka Howa aka Vanguard
Tikka T 3 and 3X Lite SS
Rem M Six

Jerry

This is my FAV Rifle, particularly the STOCK, of all time.

When the Win Catalog 1981 came out the pic on the cover TRIPPED me up.

I special ordered the FIRST one EVER to come to Hammond La. I'd never seen one in person.
The stock is slim, tirm, feels so GOOD in my hands....on top of LOOKING GOOD.
The Rifle & Stock have never let me down.

The "Classic" or S C model is bulbous in fore end and pistol grip + weighs more.

Jerry
If I have to force rank them, Kimber 84s, Winchester 70s, and Ruger 77/Hawkeyes. But cartridge and configuration of each really throws them into a 3 way tie.

All others are in a close 2nd place.
CZ 527 & CZ 527 in 17, 22, 6mm & 6.5mm bores.
Marlin is my favorite brand
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The reasons for my choices:

1. They shoot lights out. No question about it
2. They don't have mechanical failures like some of these other suggestions. Bolt handles don't fall off and they don't go bang when you push the safety forward.
3. They are light and handy. Did I mention they shoot sub moa for 5 shots easily, with some producing that kind of accuracy with 10 shots.

Many great choices here!
To me it's a somewhat loaded Question, as it depends on Where I'm Hunting, and What?
I like and use Several, and I agree with, a lot of the Comments, and responses!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WAM

My battery just for fun:

Weatherby Mk V
Remington 700 LA
Remington 700 SA
Savage 99
Savage 111
Ruger 77
Weatherby Vanguard
Winchester 70
Bushmaster
DPMS
PSA

And just think, you could narrow that chitty list down to a mere 2 at most. Pre 64 model 70 and Tikka..

Yes, and the very pedestrian cartridges those 2 are chambered in…..
Bolt actions? Not really a brand, but an action style: Mauser-based.

Herter's, Rugers, and mil-surp Mausers dominate my rifle collection.

Lever action? Marlins. No dirt on the Winchester '94, but I just like Marlins more.

Semi-auto? Haven't dabbled in them enough to figure out a fave.

Shotguns? Remington 700 (before the bankruptcy).

Handguns? Glocks and Springfield XDM's.

I like the Ruger MKII/Hawkeye and Tikka. I have Remingtons and they have been great but I don’t look to them first.

Lever guns Marlin 336 and Winchester 94, but I prefer Marlins.
#1. Steve Zihn
#2. Hershel House
#3. Jim Kibler
# 4. Pedersoli
savage 99's in center fire guns.
none of the above can i afford but the Pedersoli.
Favorite bolt action - no contest - early 700's
Favorite lever action - I like pre-64 Winchesters, Marlins, and Savage 99's. (steel Browning BLR's are OK)

The lever actions I do not like are Japan Winchesters, the very light Marlins and very light Winchester '86s in 45-70. I still own a very light Marlin 45-70 with a straight grip and I no longer am interested in shooting full power loads in it - the lever snaps into my hand quite hard.

The favorite single shot is the 1885 Winchester in 45-90.
Remington 700 & their custom clones

Weatherby Mark V

Sako 85

Ruger 77 MK II

Winchester 70 (made in New Haven, CT)

BrownChester 1885

Winchesters, Remingtons and any special guns that I come across.
For hunting rifles, I prefer a M70 or Mauser type CRF/claw extract/blade eject/square bottom action/3-position safety with a simple, exposed trigger. I also prefer short magnum cartridges and Nosler (or possibly 375 Ruger-based) cartridges in a long action. For a big gun I like the Rigby case. So I've got a mix of M70 Classic WSMs with factory triggers and CZ550s with trigger swaps and 3 position safeties ranging from .300 WSM to .416 Rigby.

For dangerous game repeaters, I like magnumized Winchester 86/71 type actions. I've got one in .45-90 and one in .50-110. They roughly match the .404J and .470NE in terms of ballistics. They're faster than a Mauser, and have way more capacity than a double. The 71 has an S-hook installed so it CRFs like an 86

For varmints I like the Browning B78for a single shot. I've got one in 6mm Remington. For a repeater I like the CZ527.

For ARs, I like both the big and small frame LMT monolithics. I've never seen a more rigid and optics-friendly auto.

I look at something like a 700, Tika or Bergara and wonder why you'd exchange money for it frankly.
Win Mod 70 Classic (New Haven) Featherweight
Rem 700 - custom shop versions like AWR, APR or special versions like Titanium
Sako 75

Have seen a couple Win Mod 70 XTR's this year and those were nice.
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
CZ 527 & CZ 527 in 17, 22, 6mm & 6.5mm bores.

Absolutely NO criticism here.

I need to RE look at CZ. WAY BACK when Dirk King (Dirt ?) had a tv show CZ sponsored him. I found some
CZs at Gander Mtn in N LR ARk. I handled several and none of them did anything for me. I =honestly= don't remember
why I wasn't interested.

I'll take a serious look again.

Jerry
Tikka and Kimber.
Tikker, Fieldcraft, Ruger Predator
All my builds are rem 700 wam, a 660 in there, couple single shots, #1 and B78, gave my mark V’s to the boy
I prefer 700s and Model 70s, with the slight edge to the M70. also quite fond of the BLR, and my CA ridgeline is really growing on me
Sako/Tikka

Older Remy 700s

The new Benelli Lupo is an awesome rifle
I prefer Winchester model 70's. Have both pre 64 and classics. I also have ywo 700's that have been tuned up.

Last year I got a Huskie 1600 in 6.5x55 that was someone else's project. Sent it in to a gunsmith for a tune up and really like it.
Older Rem 700's or older Savage 110's. Older Win model 70 also great.
Tikka
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I like the Ruger MKII/Hawkeye and Tikka. I have Remingtons and they have been great but I don’t look to them first.

Lever guns Marlin 336 and Winchester 94, but I prefer Marlins.

Ruger m77 mkII's are great rifles. Very solid and reliable. They are a diamond in the rough though and take some work to make them exceptional. Glass bedding and trigger work are a must. I've had some that were very accurate, after working them over.
I guess I don't have a favorite brand. I have rifles I prefer. Probably my three favorite hunting rifles (talking deer on up) are my Sako 85 in 6.5X55, My Ruger 1B in .308, my Savage 99 in .303 Savage, and my Marlin Guide Gun (early '90's vintage) in .45-70. I use others, but these are my go-to's and favorites. I had a Ruger 77 tanger in 7 RM that was my go-to for years, but my son has it now.
Brand would probably be Winchester. But my favorite rifle is a Remington M7600.
I prefer Winchester, but after shooting a Sako I have been looking for one and hope I have the money when I find the one I want.
Cooper - when weight doesn't matter
Kimber (or Cooper M92) - when light weight is important
Remington (700) - when building
Winchester - occasionally
Browning - for semiauto rifles
Sako’s
700’s
Kleinguenthers
Savage 99’s
Winchester 70’s
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The only brand of rifle I ever had a problem with was Remington (and Remington-made Marlin). I had a Remington 552 with a rear sight so far out of whack that it could not be adjusted right far enough to get it even close to zeroed. And I have a Remington-made Marlin 1894 .44 that had canted sights/barrel, a canted magazine tube, a broken front tenon screw and a mismatched stock. Remington took care of all the issues, and on the Marlin, they restocked it with what looked like near AA grade walnut. Very happy with Remington service, but sorry I had to use them at all.

The brands for me that seem to be perpetually stellar is Browning and Winchester. They've always been good, but since FN took over, IMO, they're even better. Anything coming out of Miroku is usually top notch. And Browning's Viana, Portugal plant is turning out Winchester Model 70s (and Winchester and Browning semi-auto shotguns) that are as good or better than they've ever been produced somewhere else.

I owned a Remington 799 in a 22-250 once, ...once. The bolt head had an issue and a local smith said it had to be sent back to Remington. I called Remington and they would not warranty it because "they didn't make it". Um "it says Remington on the action". It didn't matter. I sold it to my cousin who swears he knew a smith that could fix it. Its still not working today. It has to be over 15 years by now.
Tikka.
35 years ago I would have answered Winchester Model 70, Ruger 77 + #1. Now if the rifle weighs above 6.8lbs all up... not interested. So Kimber, Finnlight, NULA. Tried the Savage Lightweight Hunter=nice/accurate rifle, but could not get passed the ugly/funky back of the bolt hump(looks like a wrench attached to the back of the bolt.) Not carrying an ugly rifle.
Moses

How about it looks like a Commode Flush handle ?

IMO, that ruins the ascetics of the whole rifle.

Jerry
Generally pleased with the fit and function of Remington model 7’s. Currently own two MS Mannlichers from the Custom Shop that are exceptionally accurate and we’re purchased used.
I like Remington, Winchester, Ruger, in bolt actions. My Brother shoots Weatherby & Remington and the Weatherby he uses is a nice rifle as well.
My favorite brand has always been Winchester, but my favorite model has always been the 98 Mauser, whether an FN, Interarms Mark X, J C Higgins Model 50 or converted military 98. And I prefer all my rifles to be blue steel in walnut, NOT synthetic. I guess i'm just old school.
© 24hourcampfire