Home
Took a flier on an odd duck I found at a lgs today. It is a Winchester 70 stainless controlled round feed 270 WSM made in 2003-04 bases on the serial number. It is in a Bell and Carlson layup stock that is painted advantage timber camo. It does not have a fluted barrel. Is this an early Extreme Weather or a faux Extreme Weather. Did they ever even sell the EW with a camo stock? Either way, it is a sharp looking rig with an ultra smooth action and the old style Model 70 trigger. I already had some ammo so figured I would give it a try. Anyone know what it is?
Is it a push feed?
Looks like a controlled round feed as it has the claw extractor.
Sounds like an Ultimate Shadow, I believe that’s what they called it.
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Sounds like an Ultimate Shadow, I believe that’s what they called it.

Looks like that except the stock is B&C instead of the plastic stock
Its definitely not an extreme weather. Like gunnut said, probably an ultimate shadow. Someone probably took the original stock off and put it in the B&C. Kind of a lateral move, but probably what happened. I'm suspecting the rifle could have had a duratouch stock originally, but those got gummy and guys replaced them. An extreme weather of that vintage had the fluted barrel. They were also a special order item from the custom shop and cost a chidt load of money. Back then, upwards of $2,000.00. JFYI..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its definitely not an extreme weather. Like gunnut said, probably an ultimate shadow. Someone probably took the original stock off and put it in the B&C. Kind of a lateral move, but probably what happened. I'm suspecting the rifle could have had a duratouch stock originally, but those got gummy and guys replaced them. An extreme weather of that vintage had the fluted barrel. They were also a special order item from the custom shop and cost a chidt load of money. Back then, upwards of $2,000.00. JFYI..

Thanks for the info.
It could also be a Model 70 Classic Stainless, as I have one I got in 2003.

It sounds like a Stainless Classic. Somebody replaced the tuperware factory stock with a B and C.
Yes most likely a SS Classic in a B&C replacement stock. 2 piece bottom metal or 1 piece?
No pics? frown

Whatever its story is, it sure sounds nice
© 24hourcampfire