Home
So, I traded into the Kimber Hunter with a black finish in 6.5 CM. I haven't bought bases yet and before I do, I thought that I'd poll this site and sed whet people who own these rifles think about them.
Excellent!
I had one, and it want not particularly accurate. I traded it off fairly quickly. I would give another one a chance though. They should be good rifles.
Not trying to change the subject, what made you decide a Kimber hunter? I have handled them and first thing I noticed is the cheap stock.
Not that it's a deal breaker cause I have two Ruger American Predators rifles and they have what I call econo stocks.
It is NIB and I traded into it for a Savage Axis that I bought for $215, a Mossberg 500 with 2 barrels that I bought for $225, and $150 cash. Two firearms that I didn't like, the Savage Axis, or didn't need, the Mossberg 500. I don't care for the ergs of the pistol grip on the Kimber, but it is light.
I like mine, matter of fact I recently bought a Hunter take off stock for my 84m Montana. I'm partial to the removable magazine for quick unloads, reloads.

g
Mine in 6.5 Creed is very accurate and the stock pretty resilient.
You did well. Congrats
I've had them in 280 AI, 6.5 Creedmoor and 270 and all three were accurate. As "tupperware" stocks go, they're pretty good stocks, in my opinion. They are still a pretty good value on the used market.
Have one in 308 that’s growing on me. My only complaint is the bolt seems sloppy compared to my kimber montana. Shoots just under an inch with the one reload I tried.
Have one in .308 and I like it and it shoots nice groups with factory hunting ammo, haven’t tried any match ammo
Had on in a Kimber Hunter in .243 that shot ragged MOA groups as per factory guarantee but I really wanted a Kimber in .257 so it went up to the Canadian Arctic islands to hunt musk ox and seal for someone else.

Considered fitting in another stock but already have a good shooting .243 in a Remington 700 carbine. All good.
So two things the stock and accuracy. The stock does feel cheap but it's designed to be light. I like a little hef in my rifles (less in my hunting rigs vs bench rigs). I've never known one to flex in the Arizona heat (we have a little here).

Secondly the accuracy. I've met a few who have dropped coin for these rifles just to turn around and say they shoot like crap and sell them for half of what they paid. P.S. if anyone wants to unload them for a few hundred PM me 😁.

These rifles are shooters but there is a lengthy break in period. I called Kimber in it and they said it has to do with the metallurgy (sp?). The make up of the metal in their barrels that causes them to require a 100 round break in. Again I've shot these rifles before and after break in. If you are into shooting your rifle once or twice a year before a hunt, it may not be the rifle for you or (again I can't stress this enough) send it to me 😁
They can be just as accurate as any other rifle, but - because they are light weight they can be a bit tricky to shoot well.
My Creed is super easy on the shoulder and so far shoots everything I’ve run through it very well.
My 7/08 boots a little bit more - also shoots very acceptable groups .
Both benefit from good bench shooting form and practice.
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
They can be just as accurate as any other rifle, but - because they are light weight they can be a bit tricky to shoot well.
My Creed is super easy on the shoulder and so far shoots everything I’ve run through it very well.
My 7/08 boots a little bit more - also shoots very acceptable groups .
Both benefit from good bench shooting form and practice.

+1
I have a Hunter stock for my Montana, and the 84M action in the Hunter stock shoots just as well as it does in the Montana stock.... after I bedded the Montana stock.

I've been meaning to pick up a .280 ai or 7mm-08, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I just picked one up as well in 6.5 for my son.
I put talley lows on it and the bolt barely rubs the scope.
Got talley medium on the way. Can’t comment on accuracy as I am waiting on new scope rings before I waste bunch of ammo and scratch the scope
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
So, I traded into the Kimber Hunter with a black finish in 6.5 CM. I haven't bought bases yet and before I do, I thought that I'd poll this site and sed whet people who own these rifles think about them.
favorite

I have the same rifles in stainless in 6.5 Creedmoor and 280 Ackley. Great rifles, moa with some factory loads. Feed and function perfectly.

Highly reccomend them.
I was looking hard at one, but switched over to an M70 when my Master Dealer said they couldn’t get one, plus I re-thought the 5.5lb .308 concept.

My son has a 6.5 and likes it a lot. The Kimber expert here says they’re the sweet spot in Kimber rifles.
Metal to metal fit and finish are great.
The box magazine works decently enough.
The thin comb on the stock and that plastic trigger guard bug me.
The synthetic stocks help minimize the recoil...... I’m amazed at how civilized mine are to shoot.
They’re also prime candidates for a custom paint or hydro dipping. I bought one from a 24hr friend and had another dipped in the camo of my choice.....$125 - came out great.

There’s a bunch of WAY more expensive rifles and shotguns out there with plastic trigger guards, but you never hear anyone crying about them. They’re tough. Your sure as hell not going to break one. Paint it and carry on.....

The nice thing ( one of them anyway ) is you can “over scope” them a bit and still have a lighter than average hunting rifle to wander about with. Those are SWFA 3x9’s.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
They look great Blacktailer.
The one I had shot well with a variety of factory loads and my handloads. Probably should have kept it.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yessir those be lookin sweet! I just picked up a 7-08 Hunter as a birthday gift for my son. He’ll be spraying Krylon paint before the wrapping paper hits the ground.
😂😂
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Yessir those be lookin sweet! I just picked up a 7-08 Hunter as a birthday gift for my son. He’ll be spraying Krylon paint before the wrapping paper hits the ground.
😂😂

Get ahold of Christy or look at their web site. There a bunch of different camo patterns to choose from and it comes out looking very professionally done.

Originally Posted by Blacktail53
The synthetic stocks help minimize the recoil...... I’m amazed at how civilized mine are to shoot.
They’re also prime candidates for a custom paint or hydro dipping. I bought one from a 24hr friend and had another dipped in the camo of my choice.....$125 - came out great.

There’s a bunch of WAY more expensive rifles and shotguns out there with plastic trigger guards, but you never hear anyone crying about them. They’re tough. Your sure as hell not going to break one. Paint it and carry on.....

The nice thing ( one of them anyway ) is you can “over scope” them a bit and still have a lighter than average hunting rifle to wander about with. Those are SWFA 3x9’s.
Nice! very nice! Will dip mine as soon as I get a chance!
Originally Posted by gunnut308

😂😂

Hell yeah! Now that’s the way to raise em!
My 7mm-08rem is a keeper!
My sample of one was not terribly accurate. It may have been the gun or possibly my ability to shoot a lightweight rifle that was chambered in a moderately recoiling( 30-06) round. I didn’t keep it long but as I’ve gotten older I’m trending toward more blued steel and walnut so it wasn’t hard for me to send it down the road.

MM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I wouldn't take anything fro my early Yonkers .308
Shot this 100 yard 3 shot group today with factory Hornady Super performance 150 gr. SST's measured .710 and chronographed 2938 fps out of a 22 inch barrel....before the cross hair adjustment I shot 3 shots that measured .680....I started to shoot two more rounds and then thought what the hell for.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I was shooting a 1.5x6x42 Schmitt and Bender scope set on 6 power using a Hart rest with Bald Eagle bags and with a tight hold on the gun just like you would do hunting.

Like mine more and more each day
When I sighted mine in the other day I shot two 3 shot groups at 100 yards....

The little light weight Kimber .308 walked all over the gun shooting next to.me with a full custom carbon wrapped barrel shooting Hammer bullets with a giant Leupold scope with turrets as big as snuff cans...guy had a cool Labradar chronograph
© 24hourcampfire