Home
Posted By: Sheister Adjusting Tikka T3X trigger - 09/07/21
I'm working up a load for my brother's T3X Super light and the trigger is ridiculously heavy. Shooting it is like a workout every time you pull the trigger. I would like to adjust it to a reasonable amount but thought I would check to see if anyone on this forum has done this and what can I expect for a decent weight on these triggers? I personally like around 2- 2 1/2 pounds on my hunting triggers. Is this easily obtainable with these and how are they at that weight?

TIA,
Bob
Posted By: jk16 Re: Adjusting Tikka T3X trigger - 09/07/21
They are a hunting trigger design so getting a pull weight below 3 lbs might be impossible without putting a lighter trigger return spring in the unit. Each individual trigger group will vary a bit as to how light it can be adjusted as from the factory.

Once adjusted properly they are pretty crisp and clean. Not a match trigger, but a damn fine hunting trigger.
Originally Posted by jk16
They are a hunting trigger design so getting a pull weight below 3 lbs might be impossible without putting a lighter trigger return spring in the unit. Each individual trigger group will vary a bit as to how light it can be adjusted as from the factory.

Once adjusted properly they are pretty crisp and clean. Not a match trigger, but a damn fine hunting trigger.

Agreed on this.
Simply back out the set screw and you've got a very nice trigger for a mass produced factory sub $800 rifle.
It’s really easy.

I like my triggers at 2 lbs. which I install aftermarket trigger spring then adjust.
I was able to get it down to around 2 1/2 lbs from the 3 3/4 lbs it started at. Seems to be a bit better and breaks really clean and predictable so I guess that is where it is going to stay for now...
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Adjusting Tikka T3X trigger - 09/07/21
My new T3x couldn't be adjusted down from about 5 lbs. due to the adjustment screw already being in contact with the mounting screw, so it couldn't be backed off anymore.
I bought a lighter trigger spring and that dropped it to about 3 lbs, which is very nice.
I have mine down to 2lbs and it was easy. The bolt that fastens the trigger to the action might need a little grinding down but otherwise a very easy trigger to adjust.

Use a metric ball head Allen wrench for best results.
Yup, once I backed it off until it was jammed up against the mounting screw it was at approximately 2.5 lbs on my trigger guage so I called it good. Break is nice and clean and trigger feels fine with no creep so this will probably be fine for my brother's purposes...

I did have to do a bit of searching around my shop for a 2.5mm allen wrench, but finally found one....

Bob
order you a trigger spring from Elay precision and thank me later bud. got mine down to 1.5lb and crisp for $10.00 and no astronomical shipping like the overseas tikka trigger springs.
Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow
order you a trigger spring from Elay precision and thank me later bud. got mine down to 1.5lb and crisp for $10.00 and no astronomical shipping like the overseas tikka trigger springs.
Big Ed

x1000 My .308 feels totally different now.
Well, I'm glad the op got it figured out without having to spend $10 on a damn .25 spring... All of my Tikka's have adjusted down to a very nice crisp 2.5 pounds. My CTR's are easily adjusted down to 2 pounds. YMMV, I guess, but that $10 spring thing makes me laugh every time..
Posted By: jwall Re: Adjusting Tikka T3X trigger - 09/09/21
Originally Posted by jk16

Well... my 2 Tikka T 3s ( 1 is an X ) must be of an older design. Until now all I’ve heard was praise of the T3 triggers. My T3X was bought in 2018.
Both were/are light, sweet, no creep, no travel.

? ? ?

Don’t know what diff is.

Jerry
© 24hourcampfire