Home
Posted By: eurosport Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/08/21
So I haven't shot my .204 Remington 700 in ten years. The recoil pad is horribly soft and sticks to everything, leaving black goo on everything it touches. I know this was a prolem with Remington years ago. I am wondering if anyone recently has had any luck from remington getting a replacement?
Should I just buy a new prefit recoil pad and let it go?

Bob
Try contacting limbsaver, I believe they were the manufacturer of those bad pads.
IYou can overcome the stickiness problem in the short term by liberally coating the recoil pad with cornstarch powder.
Posted By: J23 Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/08/21
Originally Posted by eurosport
So I haven't shot my .204 Remington 700 in ten years. The recoil pad is horribly soft and sticks to everything, leaving black goo on everything it touches. I know this was a prolem with Remington years ago. I am wondering if anyone recently has had any luck from remington getting a replacement?

Bob

To be fair, it's not just Remington. I had a CZ (452 Silhouette) basically melt off, and the pad on my Pedersoli 86/71 is doing the same thing, large chunks are just falling off. Redneck here on the fire remedied the CZ by installing a new pad for me and it turned out great, I need to get ahold of him and send off the Pedersoli stock as well.
Posted By: BCSteve Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/09/21
I had the Canadian Remington distributor replace one about 2 years ago I think.
Posted By: LFC Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/09/21
That is why when I use rubber it's made by Pachmeyer.
Posted By: barm Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/09/21

Bob

I just went through this exact problem a couple of weeks ago. I emailed Limbsaver and got no response. I ordered a prefit pad from MidwayUSA and it was nearly a perfect fit for my stock. Then about 3 weeks later Limbsaver contacted me and wanted pictures of the damaged pad. It was too late I had already tossed the old pad. They said they were sorry for the delay and were short staffed.

If I were you I would call Limbsaver and try to get a live person in customer service on the phone. They want to stand behind their product.
Posted By: AU7MM08 Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/09/21
Limbsaver is great to deal with.

Give them a call later this morning, if I recall correctly they're in Washington so it's PST.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/10/21
limbsaver replaced mine great cs

Ed
Posted By: jwall Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/10/21

Bob

NOT disagreeing. The last one I bought was 1995. All others in 70-90s I never had one with a STICKY r pad.

Don't know ???

Jerry
Posted By: greydog Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/10/21
Pachmayr Decelerator. GD
Posted By: rem141r Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/10/21
my remington 7615 is doing that. it stuck was so hard to the carpet in the safe i could barely pull it out. its muzzle down now in there with the gray fuzzy buttpad sticking up.
#2 Philips, if not, bandsaw.
Posted By: jwall Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/11/21
Guys, anyone ?

When did Rem start putting Gooey Pads on ?

Jerry
Limbsaver has replaced 3 old sticky recoil pads for me.
Originally Posted by jwall
Guys, anyone ?

Jerry

When they first started using limbsaver; late 90’s (ish) and the issue persisted until at least mid 2000’s (ish). It was a problem on quite a few of the first gen ti stocks.
Posted By: jwall Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/11/21
Thank you AK

I still have several 700s and none of them suffer that issue. I'm so glad.
Sorry for anyone else.

Jerry
Posted By: ckat Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/11/21
I have an LVSF with a gooey pad. I contacted Remington a few weeks ago. They have dropped warranty work on everything made prior to the re-structure. They suggested that I contact Limbsaver.

I finally got around to calling Limbsaver two weeks ago. The lady was very nice and told me to email pictures of the pad and info on the rifle to [email protected]. I did and received a response the following day. The email gave the new pad number and advised that they would mail one to me the following week (this past week). I got a tracking number confirmation on Thursday, just as promised.

Pretty good service on a 20 year old product as far as I am concerned…
The original TI stock was common to have a sticky pad. They were the 1st ones I saw with the gooey pad. I replaced a couple pads on those.
Originally Posted by jwall
Guys, anyone ?

Jerry

Drum roll...... They didn't put gooey pads on.... laugh
I too emailed them with no response. I will call them.

Thank you,
Bob
Posted By: Hudge Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/13/21
Man, I wished I’d read this earlier. I had to replace a limb saver I I talked on my Winchester Model 70, as it had become sticky as well. I mainly used Pachmyer Decelerator pads in the past and never an issue.
Posted By: las Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 09/13/21
Originally Posted by greydog
Pachmayr Decelerator. GD

+++
I emailed Limbsaver, they replied 4-5 days later. I called them on day three and very well informed person told me to take a picture of the recoil pad and e-mail it to [email protected].
They replied within 5 hours and said new recoil pad should arrive in 3-5 days.
Excellent product service.
I will order another pad soon for a heavy kicker..

Bob
I emailed Limbsaver, they replied 4-5 days later. I called them on day three and very well informed person told me to take a picture of the recoil pad and e-mail it to [email protected].
They replied within 5 hours and said new recoil pad should arrive in 3-5 days.
Excellent product service.
I will order another pad soon for a heavy kicker..

Bob

I had the very same good experience about a year ago.
Just had this issue as well. Called limbsaver. Gave me warranty Department email. Sent pics and in about 3 days had a new airtech pad in my mailbox.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 10/19/21
Had the same issue some years back. Dang thing yanked carpet fibers off the floor and became a fuzzy mess. Good thing it was in a closet the wife never visits.

Been a decelerator guy ever since and find them more comfortable to boot.

That said it is good to hear the great Customer Service responses form Sims so I wish them well since they fixed their pads. .
great info!

2 of my M700's have the pad wrapped in saran wrap for this very reason

I'll call or contact limbsaver

thanks
Posted By: badwolf Re: Remington Gooey Recoil Pad - 10/19/21
Same deal just got one replaced on my omega muzzleloader , the new one feels softer too.
Same deal a few years ago on my Rem 700 in .204.
I called Rem and they asked for the serial # to verify make, model and year.
Sent a new pad right away....
Just replaced one on my Model 870. After reading this post I sent an email to Limbsaver customer service with a picture of the pad and the serial number. We had a couple of exchanges to be sure of the right pad size, then they sent me a new one. Glad to have that done!
I emailed after reading this thread and adding my post above, Limbsaver already responded asking for pics & model, I'll get that done shortly.

gotta give Limbsaver credit for great customer service!

Poole
© 24hourcampfire