Home
Posted By: longshot3 Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
I've been goofing around with sponge painting lately. I recently did my 6.5 PRC Superlite and recently picked up this 223 Remington.

I always liked the Grape/gray/black McSwirley color, but have never ordered one. So I decided to do a Grape sponge job on my new Tikka. Black base, light gray and grape.

This will be used at night for fox calling and will probably be my new turkey rifle. It loves the 77 grain Nosler CC and the 75 grain Hornady HPBT.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: AU7MM08 Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
Turkey with a rifle?
Here is the 6.5 PRC

Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Turkey with a rifle?

Yes, legal in Virginia
A good friend of mine(who loves his John Deere tractors)asked me to paint his 10-22 "tractor rifle"!

I like it

But, Iโ€™d never hunt turkeys with a rifle, thatโ€™s just wrong. Ha Ha. Like shooting ducks on a pond with a .22. Pretty sure those turkeys will be able to see that brilliant purple as they are very color oriented.
Posted By: AU7MM08 Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
Originally Posted by longshot3
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Turkey with a rifle?

Yes, legal in Virginia

Never knew that was a thing.

The 6.5PRC looks awesome.
I've been goofing around with sponge painting lately. I recently did my 6.5 PRC Superlite and recently picked up this 223 Remington.

I always liked the Grape/gray/black McSwirley color, but have never ordered one. So I decided to do a Grape sponge job on my new Tikka. Black base, light gray and grape.

This will be used at night for fox calling and will probably be my new turkey rifle. It loves the 77 grain Nosler CC and the 75 grain Hornady HPBT.

Very nice, I like it!
Nice work! They look great.
Posted By: SKane Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
Well done!
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
What brand of paint do you use? Do you clear coat after sponging? Those look great.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
Giving me some ideas. Mostly just need PRC brass...pretty much impossible to find.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
Nice work! I like it!!
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I like it

But, Iโ€™d never hunt turkeys with a rifle, thatโ€™s just wrong. Ha Ha. Like shooting ducks on a pond with a .22. Pretty sure those turkeys will be able to see that brilliant purple as they are very color oriented.

They certainly have no issue seeing purple! That just ups the challenge! Just another thing to hunt with the rifle.
Originally Posted by auk1124
What brand of paint do you use? Do you clear coat after sponging? Those look great.

Rust-Oleum and Krylon. I just spray a little puddle onto a piece of shiny cardboard(like a cereal box) then dip natural sponge pieces into it for the pattern. I do use a satin clear coat. I don't really like the flat clear coat, as it almost looks gray. Use the satin, then take the shine off with some 000 steel wool, after the clear has fully cured.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Giving me some ideas. Mostly just need PRC brass...pretty much impossible to find.

I've been trying to find a bit more as well. Currently, I'm using 53 grains of 7828ssc with the 143 ELDX @2914 fps.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21
Nice. Turkey with a rifle in Wyoming also
Originally Posted by Fotis
Nice. Turkey with a rifle in Wyoming also

Same in WV.
Posted By: barm Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21

I like it. Nice job! Now go get a turkey with it next month.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/09/21

My paint jobs never come out as nice,as yours.
Every year my jeep guns gets beat up and gets the HELL used out of them i have 2 jeep guns both about the same, and every year i sand and patch the ding's and primer them and repaint them, this one has a $10.00 pawn shop stock, always wanted a flame job but have never figured out how to do it. so i call this one
PRO--PAIN Rio7

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by RIO7

Every year my jeep guns gets beat up and gets the HELL used out of them i have 2 jeep guns both about the same, and every year i sand and patch the ding's and primer them and repaint them, this one has a $10.00 pawn shop stock, always wanted a flame job but have never figured out how to do it. so i call this one
PRO--PAIN Rio7

Cool look! Just sponge some orange and red over a yellow base. I'll bet that would give a nice "flame" look.
Posted By: LFC Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/10/21

Something told me not to click on this thread

PRO--PAIN Rio7

Have you thought about using Rainbow lighting in the background ?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/10/21

LFC, Never entered my mind, are you GAY?? Rio7
No...I don't have gay gun either.
Reminded me of Raspberry Beret!

LFC, Never entered my mind, are you GAY?? Rio7

Hey, he's off to a great start.....
Off course what do I know, I kinda liked Whatthefuckaflauge.

Posted By: RIO7 Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/11/21

LFC, You sure your not GAY?? It's OK China Joe And Company said you can come out now. Rio7
Posted By: hanco Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/11/21
A good friend of mine(who loves his John Deere tractors)asked me to paint his 10-22 "tractor rifle"!

That is cool!!!!
Posted By: LFC Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/11/21
If I had a gay looking gun I wouldn't show it to anyone.....
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm betting you would. Saying dumbasss things repeatedly hasn't slowed you down from continually posting stupidasss things.
Longshot3,

Looks great ๐Ÿ‘

I just received a compact stock for my RAR thatโ€™s going to need some customization for the grandkids.
Your sponge style may be just the ticket......
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by LFC

I'm betting you would. Saying dumbasss things repeatedly hasn't slowed you down from continually posting stupidasss things.

He's definitely on a roll.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Reminded me of Raspberry Beret!

๐Ÿ‘

Love the name of that pattern! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Longshot3,

Looks great ๐Ÿ‘

I just received a compact stock for my RAR thatโ€™s going to need some customization for the grandkids.

Be sure to use natural sponge pieces. The more negative contact points, the better. If you need to make more "holes" in your sponge, just pluck out your own with needle nose pliers. Good luck and post the finished product.

Was a fun time, way back in 2016.... The idea was supposed to be more urban camo and less lava lamp... I think the current owner has rattle-canned it black. ๐Ÿ˜ญ The horror!
Posted By: LFC Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/13/21
Can you blame him....
Originally Posted by LFC
Can you blame him....

Please see the optics 'Bob thread for a reality check...
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Longshot3,

Looks great ๐Ÿ‘

Be sure to use natural sponge pieces. The more negative contact points, the better. If you need to make more "holes" in your sponge, just pluck out your own with needle nose pliers. Good luck and post the finished product.

๐Ÿ‘ will do.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Grape Ape Tikka Superlite! - 09/13/21
Heck I think ALL of the rifles in this thread are cool. Have fun. Whatthefuckflauge is hilarious

OP, the grape ape is a mean lookin rig.
Originally Posted by Igloo
Heck I think ALL of the rifles in this thread are cool. Have fun. Whatthefuckflauge is hilarious

OP, the grape ape is a mean lookin rig.

I like seeing the different colors. Rifles need not be plain, I'm my opinion! I wish I could a snagged the original "McFlame" when it went up for grabs!

Thanks!

Was a fun time, way back in 2016.... The idea was supposed to be more urban camo and less lava lamp... I think the current owner has rattle-canned it black. ๐Ÿ˜ญ The horror!

Tragic!๐Ÿ˜†
While we're (I'm) reminiscing.

Tropical Delight (TM)

The idea was to try different colored specks within the different colored areas. Not as noticeable in the photo, but, got it done. Honestly, wish I'd kept it, just for the fun of it.

PS Ain't got no use for anyone who can't simply have fun on a stock painting thread Cheers.
I like it. I have a spotted Tikka that I'm going to re paint sometime soon. It looks ok, but now I'm going a different direction with it. Pictures later today.
Stocks look very nice.
© 24hourcampfire