Home
Posted By: StudDuck Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
This is a perfect example of the early KS rifles I love so much. The stock is Brown Precision, but I've never seen a black one.

Did Remington ever put a black stock on the early KS rifles like this one?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
I think it’s mostly the lighting of the pictures. Some of the browns were quite dark in tone - not quite black but more of a dark brown. I would say that’s definitely the way it came from Remington.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I think it’s mostly the lighting of the pictures. Some of the browns were quite dark in tone - not quite black but more of a dark brown. I would say that’s definitely the way it came from Remington.

I knew you'd be along shortly. The only guy we're missing is OregonMuley.

Thanks AKW.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
Plenty of others with extensive ks knowledge besides us; they just don’t post as often anymore. gene270 and dd come to mind. I bought quite a few of my ks from Gene.

I think picture #2 gives a more accurate representation of the color.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
Plenty of others with extensive ks knowledge besides us; they just don’t post as often anymore. gene270 and dd come to mind. I bought quite a few of my ks from Gene.

I think picture #2 gives a more accurate representation of the color.

Yeah, several knowledgable members don't seem to post much anymore. I still miss Shrapnel and Tanner.

Whenever you get ready to part with a few of those KS rifles, give me a call.
Posted By: EdM Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
Mine, a 375 H&H with the Brown stock, was grey. I bought it used and upon disassembly found a crack in the bedding at the recoil lug. I called Remington and they said to send it in. It came back bedded in a McM KS stock. The McM was a bit lighter in color than the Brown. This was 1997 or so.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
That looks to me like one of the early model Alaskan Wilderness Rifles from way back when. Same exact thing as the KS.
Definitely a Brown Precision stock. Hella good find!!
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/16/21
Originally Posted by gunnut308
That looks to me like one of the early model Alaskan Wilderness Rifles from way back when. Same exact thing as the KS.

I was going to say the same exact thing.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
The Alaskan Wilderness Rifles weren’t introduced until after the transition to McMillan.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
The Alaskan Wilderness Rifles weren’t introduced until after the transition to McMillan.

Mid 90's?
Posted By: mwarren Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
I have an early original Alaskan Wilderness Rifle, and original box, shot it recently. It's stock is black, but the texture of the stock in the link you posted is different from my AWR. The original AWR stocks were Mcmillan. The shape and style is similar to the one in the link posted but the texture on the close up pictures of the stock in the link is different.
Posted By: mwarren Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
Here is epic of my Alaskan Wilderness Rifle. The attachment manager won't let me upload a file larger than 99kbs.

Attached picture AWR 700 35Kb.jpg
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I knew you'd be along shortly. The only guy we're missing is OregonMuley.

Thanks AKW.

grin I know of one true factory KS in .280 no less that did come with a black painted stock. I have a friend here in Oregon that I turned into a KS nut and helped him find 2 KS rifles about 7-8 years ago. We found him a pristine .270 at a local Cabelas for a good deal that he bought for his wife. Then several months later I found a listing for a KS .280 with a black stock. I wasn't 100% that it was a true KS but he contacted the seller and got all the particulars and then contacted the Remington Custom Shop to find out about this rifle. Per their answer it was a special one they built for either SHOT Show or some other trade show don't recall which but it had a black painted McMillan. This was also a stainless KS that they had coated black, don't recall if it was Cerakote or maybe something else, but I do know it was a beautiful rifle.

I had a chance to buy it a couple years ago but in a moment of brain fog I passed - I regret that dumb decision. I need to look around, I may be able to find a picture of said rifle.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Mid 90's?

Best I can tell the transition was a bit earlier. I have never been able to track down an exact date or serial number or barrel code, but according to Mark Brown it was somewhere right around 1990. I suspect given the low volume of the KS production it may have occurred over months or even years. I do know that I have never seen a stainless KS in anything other than a McMillan; so the transition was probably complete by about that time (92-93).
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by gunnut308

If it wasn't a LH, it would already be in-bounds to my safe.

I don't know what it is about them, but regardless of what I buy/own/shoot, I keep coming back to them.
Posted By: Hugh_W2 Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
Gunnut308 and Mwarren got it.
Remington AWR 1990s.
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
Gunnut308 and Mwarren got it.
Remington AWR 1990s.

Not at B68 … that’s an 80’s gun.
First gen awr is stainless and sn starts with an S.
Posted By: Hugh_W2 Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
I have one that I ordered new from custom shop in 1994 IIRC.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Mid 90's?

Best I can tell the transition was a bit earlier. I have never been able to track down an exact date or serial number or barrel code, but according to Mark Brown it was somewhere right around 1990. I suspect given the low volume of the KS production it may have occurred over months or even years. I do know that I have never seen a stainless KS in anything other than a McMillan; so the transition was probably complete by about that time (92-93).

Mine still has a Brown stock, per the date code it was built April 91, I bought it September 1992. If anyone remembers Darren aka darrenk75B who was a master at repainting stocks. Anyway, I had him repaint it and he was certain it was a Brown having worked on several Brown stocks. The ejection port on the Brown is a little more rounded along the edges versus the McMillan.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Yes; inletting is also subtlety different, as is the shape of the bolt handle cutout. Darren would certainly know.

Iirc that one is coated? C prefix?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/17/21
Actually I've not seen that particular texture on any Brown or McMillan stock. (on the link provided by OP)
Yes; inletting is also subtlety different, as is the shape of the bolt handle cutout. Darren would certainly know.

Iirc that one is coated? C prefix?

Yup "C" prefix and as slick of an action as any I've used. And yes before putting that rifle to the back of the safe I had Karl Feldkamp Cerakote it. I only hunted with that rifle maybe 10 or 11 years and it wasn't really beat up but certainly had some dings here and there. Thought I'd spiff it up a bit just for the heck of it.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Actually I've not seen that particular texture on any Brown or McMillan stock. (on the link provided by OP)

Many of the early browns had it. I’ve seen browns without it; but never seen a McMillan with it. It’s pretty distinguishing.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/20/21
Date code on KS rifle OP linked is KG - May ‘86. One of the early ones.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/20/21
Anyone else think the barrel stamp looks off? Almost like it was recbambered, stamped over and "mag" added? Hard to tell....just caught my eye.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Anyone else think the barrel stamp looks off? Almost like it was recbambered, stamped over and "mag" added? Hard to tell....just caught my eye.

The ks had some wonky stamping at times. I’ve seen other stamping very much like the one in the pics.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by Mauser06

I didn't catch it. That is messed up.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/20/21
StudDuck,

I might have access to a nice clean KS in 30-06 - will know later this week. I believe its an early 90's gun with the more parkerized looking finish and likely a McMillan stock. Let me know and I'll see what I can find out.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Black Stock KS? - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
StudDuck,

I might have access to a nice clean KS in 30-06 - will know later this week. I believe its an early 90's gun with the more parkerized looking finish and likely a McMillan stock. Let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

I'll PM you.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Black Stock KS? - 02/07/22
Adding some pics for posterity as link now dead. Gun went multiple rounds and never sold in GB with last BiN of $1900.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: GeoW Re: Black Stock KS? - 02/08/22
Both my KS are green..
Posted By: gene270 Re: Black Stock KS? - 02/08/22
that looks like the early brown precision stocked ones...i bet the light makes it look black in the picture but if you knew how dark they were you would see that rifle is grey textured paint
© 24hourcampfire