Home
Posted By: jwall Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/16/21
My Deer Seasons begin about a month away.
For some reason I’m having a hard time deciding
which rifles I want to hunt ??? confused

I normally use 2 rifles during deer seasons. I guess
my dilemma is because I like what I have and they
are dead dependable. smile

***Don’t say time to get something else. There is
nothing radically different. *that interests me*.
In one way or another I have all the bases covered.

At most, I’ll have to load a few rounds for whichever
I choose.

I guess it’s a NICE predicament!! grin

I think I’ll figure which rifle or cartridge I’ve used the
least or been the longest since I used it/them.

Anyone else having trouble deciding ?

Jerry

I've decided. Going with my Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8 SPC. Have it loaded with 130 Interlocks at 2550 fps from a 16"barrel. It's feels like an air rifle suppressed.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Decisions, decisions..... Rifle deer season isn't until November 21 in lower NY State, so I have time to decide. The Remington Model Seven 7mm-08 is always #1 on my list. Which other rifles to bring along? Probably a Savage 99, and then who knows?
Yeah I usually like to hunt 3 rifles and I face this same delima every Fall but I love it! Hell I might even buy something new with a big fat carbon wrapped barrel and work up some loads who knows?....😂😂.....Hb
The Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 for sure. After that who knows?
Posted By: memtb Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21

No trouble deciding......same rifle since 1990! My wife has a similar dilemma.....same rifle since 1996! memtb
30-30 contender with a Gemtech Tracker

45/70 GSBL

Savage lightweight hunter with a Gemtech Tracker.

Remington 81 in 300 Savage
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah I usually like to hunt 3 rifles and I face this same delima every Fall but I love it! Hell I might even buy something new with a big fat carbon wrapped barrel and work up some loads who knows?....😂😂.....Hb

Ain’t loonyism fun ? crazy grin

Jerry
The 7mm-08 is up first then the 243, both NULA rifles......both shooting Barnes TTSX bullets. 120gr and 80gr respectively.
Originally Posted by moosemike
The Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 for sure. After that who knows?

My Model Six 30-06 is in the running.

Jerry
I'm leaning toward my Tikka Superlight in 243 loaded with either 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or 80 grain TTSX for opening day. No other reason except I've always taken out a 30-06 of one flavor or another and maybe it will change my luck.
On the other hand, I can only shoot 1 buck and no doe tag this year so I would hate to tag out opening day and leave all my other rifles in the safe. I usually take everything out at least once a season.
Six 06 and BLR 358 are the plan this year.
Howa Mini Grendel, until it draws blood. After that, who knows?
Easy decision this year. In March, there was this 30-06 Kimber 84L Classic that followed me home. grin

Dale
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
This model 700 .308 is likely to be used the most. Shooting 150g hornady interlocks over Varget
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
find duplicate lines in text file online

Plan to take the No. 1 .300H&H out a couple times as well. 180g interlocks over 4831.
find duplicates in list
Originally Posted by Dale K
Easy decision this year. In March, there was this 30-06 Kimber 84L Classic that followed me home. grin

Dale

Are you nuts ? laugh

Don’t blame you.

Jerry
[quote=Ky221]

Plan to take the No. 1 .300H&H out a couple times as well. 180g interlocks over 4831.
find duplicates in list

————————-

DROOL ! DROOL ! Lucky Dog.

I’ve had 2 # 1s but not in the Model I wanted.

Jerry
Marc. -/. Check

Jerry
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I'm leaning toward my Tikka Superlight in 243 loaded with either 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or 80 grain TTSX for opening day.

R R

NO doubt my T3X Lite SS 7 RM
WILL go !!! I can’t help it, I LIKE it.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
The 7mm-08 is up first then the 243, both NULA rifles......both shooting Barnes TTSX bullets. 120gr and 80gr respectively.

Nuttin rong there !!!

Jerry
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Good Luck

Jerry
Jersey

You got 2 months and good choices to make.

Jerry
Originally Posted by memtb

No trouble deciding......same rifle since 1990! My wife has a similar dilemma.....same rifle since 1996! memtb

Sounds Simple. Good hunting.

Jerry
Goalie

45-70 ? How big are your deer ? Lol

Jerry
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Hopefully it’ll be quick !!

Jerry
Kimber Montana 7mm-08
Pre 64 30-30
Ruger Flattop 44 spl

That’s the line up multi state deer elk and bear.
No trouble deciding for me.....so far just the 6.5X284 has had the fun with sheep and bear plus 1 (unsucessful) caribou day hunt.

My .375 H&H hasn't got the same mojo it seems. Been out 5-6 times for moose without a legal animal spotted. Still got a few days to get it done though.

Once I hit Idaho for deer and elk next month it'll be .223 Rem and 6.5X284 time again.
1918 winchester 94 in 38-55
1940 winchester 64 in 30-30
Tinman

Good luck with 375. Sounds like the rest is good.

Smallfry,
been a long time since I 6gunned one.
That was fun too.

rockchucker

Let the “old times roll “. grin

Jerry
Well I have slimmed down my "deer rifle" battery over the last few years so it is a little easier to decide what to take now.

If the weather is bad (rain, snow) I will be using my MRC 1999 synthetic stainless .260 remington (this is the Campfire Special from a few years ago)

In good weather it will be either my JC Higgins model 50 30-06, or a JC Higgins model 51 30-06 depending on how I feel on that day.
Posted By: Igloo Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by jwall

I normally use 2 rifles during deer seasons. I guess
my dilemma is because I like what I have and they
are dead dependable. smile

***Don’t say time to get something else. There is
nothing radically different. *that interests me*.
In one way or another I have all the bases covered.

At most, I’ll have to load a few rounds for whichever
I choose.

I guess it’s a NICE predicament!! grin

I think I’ll figure which rifle or cartridge I’ve used the
least or been the longest since I used it/them.

Jerry

That IS a problem to have, even if there sure are worse ones! Like the way you decided to solve it though!

Not too much trouble deciding this year, but only cause the safe has been in decline. Hoping for one deer with a 1960 Winchester 70 Fwt in 308 with a 130gr TTSX over 3031 and one deer with a Yugo M59/66 SKS shooting a Barnes 123gr TSX over RL7.
The 25-284 and 25 BR AI get the work this year.

GreggH
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

At this time I'm thinking this R93 Stutzen in 9.3 x 62 will be my main hunting rifle this season.

ya!

GWB
Winchester EW/SS chambered in .270 WCF and 150 gr. Speer GS for the open, and a Ruger 77/357 w/ 158 gr. JSP for the thickets.

GR
Posted By: skeen Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Highlander Pistol.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Goalie

45-70 ? How big are your deer ? Lol

Jerry

I'm over 6'

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

But a handgun worked....
🤣
I've been using mainly smaller caliber rifles for the last several years, but some bigger boys have followed me home over the last few months, so I plan to switch gears this season.

Going to try out the custom Mauser 30-06, Ruger No 1 300 H&H, and Interarms 375 H&H.
if it gets here ,its a bolt action upper for a LR10 in 708
I'll probably switch it up a lot this year.

.308 Montana in the mountains
7 SAUM Montana in the fields
Pair of .243s, one Mountain Rifle and one BDL will be carried by both me and my wife
6mm AI if I get it finished and running
6mm Predator AR/.270 BAR for something different

More often than not, I end up carrying one of my .243s though, every year, even though I plan to carry others.
Posted By: memtb Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by memtb

Sounds Simple. Good hunting.

Jerry

Thanks jwall! It’s a proven system! 😁 memtb
My main rifle is going to sit this season out for a bit, headed up to a friend's farm to hunt elk with my Sharps in 40/65, and probably take my .577 Snider as well for some white tails.
Cat
Weatherby (Howa) Vanguard-2 sub-MOA .30-06 stainless synthetic with a 4X12 VX-R 30MM tube. Mostly 180 SST or RN 180 Speer. For a light rifle on varmints the identical rifle in .223 with 62 BTHP by Hornady and a Zeiss 3 1/5 -10. Every now and then when mobs of hogs are anticipated out comes the AR-15 and 30 round magazine.
A few new one's I'll try to get in the mix:

280AI, 22.5" Hawk Hill KS contour in a Bansner stock
6.5 CM Sig cross

NULA ML will be used for ML seasons.

Lot's of others will be used. With a rifle season that runs from mid-October (in GA) to early February (in AL) I get a lot of opportunities.
Originally Posted by rockchucker

Yep, bulk will be with Shiloh Sharps 44-77.
1892 year '86 in 45-70
58 cal Hawken
Will take old pre-64 264 to Wyo for doe antelope and mule deer.
My life gets complicated this time of year. I start trying to decide what rifles I'm taking to deer camp. I've got way too many to choose from.

The Savage 99 in 308 WIN is my #1 for Opening Morning. I only use it while I have a bug tag.
The 30-06 Ruger Hawkeye is my #1 producer over the past decade.

The easy part is over. Now comes the agony. I pick 3 rifles for the Opening Week of deer camp. Anything that gets blooded goes in the case, and then I bring down one more for the last weekend.

Thompson Center Compass II in 7mm-08. I nailed a doe with it last fall. I re-stocked it over the Winter. This could be my new favorite.
The Mauser From Hell-- a Kar 98 (8X57) that was an absolute basket case when I got it. Now, it's my most accurate deer rifle. It's nailed several of my bucks since it went into the lineup.
Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen. The Whelenizer took 10 deer in 10 years before I retired it. I'm bringing it back with a reduced 180 grain load.
25-06 Mauser. I just haven't found the right load for it. I'm overdue to start having good luck with this rifle.
M1 Garand -- I keep threatening to bring this one back out.

. . .and about 20 more that I could take. The last couple of years, I built a decision matrix in Excel to decide.

Ruger 77 RL tang in 308 gets all the snow tracking days. Stand sitting days get other guns but my newest addition of the T3x in 6.5CM is going to get a few more hunts than others.
As usual - Rem 700 CDL 25.06 with a Speer 120gr Hot-cor in front of a full house of RL25 smile.
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I've decided. Going with my Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8 SPC. Have it loaded with 130 Interlocks at 2550 fps from a 16"barrel. It's feels like an air rifle suppressed.

Pretty slick.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Hopefully it’ll be quick !!

Jerry

There’s a 2-day Geezer and Yute season for does next month, followed by a 4-day for everyone. Oughta be possible to get something down, but might have to go in deep if the “civilian” traffic is like it was last season. Crossbow begins next
Saturday.

Bears are also in on the G&Y days. Wouldn’t that be interesting? They are around, but I’ve never seen one there.
Usually one of several 30-06's... But picked up an early 50's marlin 30-30 that may just be appealing
Posted By: johnw Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
I've come a ways from the "I've only got one" young guy who took that "one" everywhere and did everything with it.

Still... 2 safes full of rifles... Have trouble recalling where they all came from or why they were chosen.
Why is it that only one Model 70 Classic FWT in 25-06 gets picked up consistently?

My hunting is a lot more laid back and casual than it used to be. Don't travel as far or cross as many state lines.

Some nice stuff in those safes. They don't eat much, and it's cheaper for me if they just stay there...
Still...
As usual, I'm punting heading out to elk camp.

Taking a .26 CM/143 gr. Eld-X, a .30-06/180 gr. NPT, and a .366 Bock/232 gr. Oryx.

My son will likely grab the CM, but ya never know...
Its always fun to take the new ones out into the field to see if they are lucky or not. Even though it is so tempting to just grab for the old tried and true, that you know is always ready to go.
Posted By: johnw Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
I'll mention 2 rifles from the safes. Both ends of the spectrum, but both still treasures.

Late 80s to early 90s a buddy had an FFL and was gunrunning out of one end of his barn. He was playing with a lot of mil-surp stuff and I ordered an old beater SMLE 4/1 and a case of ammo. Paid $69 for the rifle, and ammo. The rifle looked like it had been excavated from a pile of war rubble. Every round of the surplus ammo hang fired. Click....Boom
Picked up a couple of boxes of Winchester 180 power points for it and was pleasantly surprised with how it shot. Jump forward 15 years or so and I've got an oops kid (born when I was 39) learning to hunt, and he loves everything mil-surp. I've bought him some beautiful rifles, but he loves that old SMLE.
Deer season last year, a guy in the parking lot of Cabelas in Prairie shucked out 5 hundred dollar bills trying to buy that old beater from him. It still lives in the safes...

And when the youngest kid was learning to shoot, I was working all over the country. On a job at Council Bluffs Iowa, I discovered an LGS called Guns Unlimited in Omaha. Had a Winchester 9422 on layaway there, and the day I picked it up they were unboxing some Model 70s to put in the rack. Guy pulled a rifle from the box and the whistles started. Prettiest wood I've ever seen on a standard production rifle. And it is a standard production Model 70 Classic featherweight.
I didn't ask the price or even what it was chambered for. I told the counter guy helping me to put it on my ticket. A couple of other guys quibbled that they might want it, but the clerk told them all that I'd spoken first.
It's a .308, by the way. Still NIB Unfired...
Told myself that it was for the youngest. He's gravitated towards different rifles than me, but it'll still have his name on it when I check out.
Guys been busy this AM

I’ll be back. Thnx

Jerry
It's been a while since a deer's been shot on our property with a 303, so a pair will be coming with me on opening weekend. If the weather is nice I'll hunt with the M1895. The old no4 mk II gets the nod should WI decide to play its usual fall games.
Most likely my 338Fed but will always have me 7mm-08 as a back up.

Once the first one is down, and if the weather is good, I will use my inheirited Sav 1899 in 303SAV.
Posted By: hanco Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Got a 99 being rebarreled to 338 Federal, hoping it gets here in time to use.

New to me 99’s in 358 and 284 to try out.

A new to me 30-06 to try also.

I’ll check zero on a couple Sako’s and a couple of Kleinguenthers also.

I’ll have more time next year to play with rifles, 105 days until I’m done.
Posted By: hanco Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Originally Posted by johnw
I've come a ways from the "I've only got one" young guy who took that "one" everywhere and did everything with it.

Still... 2 safes full of rifles... Have trouble recalling where they all came from or why they were chosen.
Why is it that only one Model 70 Classic FWT in 25-06 gets picked up consistently?

My hunting is a lot more laid back and casual than it used to be. Don't travel as far or cross as many state lines.

Some nice stuff in those safes. They don't eat much, and it's cheaper for me if they just stay there...
Still...

Me too, got a notebook I keep to help track of which rifles need checked, ammo I need to load, etc. I need to cut back, need rifle buying rehab bad.
I’ll be using two rifles everyday on the hunt. Prior to sunrise and shooting time, I will be bedded down in a nice shooting spot on the banks of creek beds in heavy timber. I have had more morning success killing whitetails coming back from night feeds to bed in tall grasses and timber along the creek and river bottoms. I’ll be shooting Barnes 225 gr XPB out of a Win 94 444 Marlin. Have killed deer inside of 15 yards with this setup.

Later in the afternoon around 3:00 I’ll be glassing Ag fields of corn and beans setting up for 300 yards and closer. Looking for whitetails coming out to feed until shooting time is over. I’ll be shooting 308 Win with 165 SST. The SST is a much underrated bullet design, with 308 Win velocity it behaves wonderfully and opens up with a lot of shock and trauma on whitetails.
[quote=goalie]

I'm over 6'

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

But a handgun worked....
🤣

A bruiser for sure ! Congrats

Jerry
Originally Posted by geedubya

Snazzy there bud.

Good Luck

Jerry
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Well I have slimmed down my "deer rifle" battery over the last few years so it is a little easier to decide what to take now.

Have you lost your mind ? Turn in your loony card. L O L

Jerry
Originally Posted by skeen
Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel Highlander Pistol.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In the words of EX gunwriter Zumbo, Them black guns are not hunting rifles.

Uh HUH Right !

We are still hunting. Wonder what he's doing.

Jerry
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Going to try out the custom Mauser 30-06, Ruger No 1 300 H&H, and Interarms 375 H&H.

I like the way you're rolling.

Jerry
Igloo said,

That IS a problem to have, even if there sure are worse ones! Like the way you decided to solve it though!

Not too much trouble deciding this year, but only cause the safe has been in decline. Hoping for one deer with a 1960 Winchester 70 Fwt in 308 with a 130gr TTSX over 3031 and one deer with a Yugo M59/66 SKS shooting a Barnes 123gr TSX over RL7.

Thnx Igloo. It's hard for me to leave my 70 FTWT 6.5 Swede too. It handles so sweet.

Jerry
Kimber Montana. 358 Winchester

Winchester 70 Classic .280 Remington if i start to feel unlucky.
Too many unexpected expenses this year to afford to go out of state, so the Ruger's will remain in the safe, while the Winchester slug gun and the T/C flintlock get to go out and play.
This one - its been lucky for me so far smile

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted by catnthehat
My main rifle is going to sit this season out for a bit, headed up to a friend's farm to hunt elk with my Sharps in 40/65, and probably take my .577 Snider as well for some white tails.
Cat

Okay.... those sure are different. Sounds interesting.

Jerry
Guys, I'm NOT signing off, believe me.

There are lots of good and interesting choices thrown out here.
I'm glad to see SO many hunting & planning to hunt this year. IF I can breathe and walk I'll hunt till death do us part.

I'm not thru reading some posts and will keep on. I appreciate your input.

Thnx

Jerry
i've given most of my rifles to kids/grandkids except a fn model 70 supergrade in 270win and a ruger hawkeye in 308 win. i'll use the 308 for elk in december and the 270 for deer here on the farm beginning in november.
Posted By: ERK Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Mark v in 270 bee. Setting up for out to 400 yards.ya I know it’s not necessary but it’s new. Edk
Originally Posted by ERK
Mark v in 270 bee. Setting up for out to 400 yards.ya I know it’s not necessary but it’s new. Edk

You're singing my tune. 7 RM & 300 WM and even 8mm RM.
No such thing as deadER.

Jerry
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i've given most of my rifles to kids/grandkids except a fn model 70 supergrade in 270win and a ruger hawkeye in 308 win. i'll use the 308 for elk in december and the 270 for deer here on the farm beginning in november.

Nice....Good Luck

Jerry
Originally Posted by GreggH
The 25-284 and 25 BR AI get the work this year.

GreggH

25s huh. Interesting

Jerry
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Winchester EW/SS chambered in .270 WCF and 150 gr. Speer GS for the open, and a Ruger 77/357 w/ 158 gr. JSP for the thickets.

GR

W/O counting up, I think I've killed more with a 270 W than any other.

Jerry
Originally Posted by misser
if it gets here ,its a bolt action upper for a LR10 in 708

Alright ! Hope it makes it.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Holston
I'll probably switch it up a lot this year.

.308 Montana in the mountains
7 SAUM Montana in the fields
Pair of .243s, one Mountain Rifle and one BDL will be carried by both me and my wife
6mm AI if I get it finished and running
6mm Predator AR/.270 BAR for something different

More often than not, I end up carrying one of my .243s though, every year, even though I plan to carry others.

Variety is good. I have been rotating 'mostly' for several years. However I find it hard to leave some alone an entire
season.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Hastings
Weatherby (Howa) Vanguard-2 sub-MOA .30-06 stainless synthetic with a 4X12 VX-R 30MM tube. Mostly 180 SST or RN 180 Speer. For a light rifle on varmints the identical rifle in .223 with 62 BTHP by Hornady and a Zeiss 3 1/5 -10. Every now and then when mobs of hogs are anticipated out comes the AR-15 and 30 round magazine.

Never had the privilege of gettin in on feral hogs. Good luck

Jerry
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
A few new one's I'll try to get in the mix:

280AI, 22.5" Hawk Hill KS contour in a Bansner stock
6.5 CM Sig cross

NULA ML will be used for ML seasons.

Lot's of others will be used. With a rifle season that runs from mid-October (in GA) to early February (in AL) I get a lot of opportunities.

I had the same type opportunities when I lived in La., hunting Miss. & Al. all three.
Never got tired OF hunting but did get tired IN hunting.

Jerry
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by rockchucker

Yep, bulk will be with Shiloh Sharps 44-77.
1892 year '86 in 45-70
58 cal Hawken
Will take old pre-64 264 to Wyo for doe antelope and mule deer.

More oldies but goodies.

Jerry
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Ruger 77 RL tang in 308 gets all the snow tracking days. Stand sitting days get other guns but my newest addition of the T3x in 6.5CM is going to get a few more hunts than others.

My 77 UL in 308 was fantastic in the woods. Successful too.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Guybo54
As usual - Rem 700 CDL 25.06 with a Speer 120gr Hot-cor in front of a full house of RL25 smile.

Never had a 25-06 but appreciate it.

A close friend, passed now, had one. One day I told him, "There's a 25-06 in every 270 W"
He said, "Ooh that's cold", LOL

Jerry
hiker

The grand ole 06 is appropriate for lots of things.

Jerry
I believe for deer this year, I’ll be using a Model 700 LSS in 7 Remington. I haven’t killed anything with that yet so I’m hoping to put a few down with it. If I get out for bear- I’ll either take that out or maybe my CZ 550 in .375, just because. I’ve got about another 15 ready for back ups, so if something happens to either of them- I’m still good to go.

It might be even more if I keep looking in the classifieds on here and GunBroker late at night!
Originally Posted by johnw
Still...

Yessir, I was there till in the 80s and reading GUN writers ! Sheesh, They have cost me mucho denero ! LOL

Jerry
Just two, a 25 year old .270 M70 Classic, and a much older Marlin 336SC 30/30. One or the other, both are "lucky" rifles for me.

If I get even lazier, I might try to stunt shoot one with my AR .223. It shoots plenty good enough, whether I have the confidence in doing so, I dunno yet. Missouri deer tend to be fat, and I'm not really confident in the .223 for a fat old buck.
Originally Posted by trplem
It's been a while since a deer's been shot on our property with a 303, so a pair will be coming with me on opening weekend. If the weather is nice I'll hunt with the M1895. The old no4 mk II gets the nod should WI decide to play its usual fall games.

303 huh ?

That one clung on to me as a kid. Dad borrowed a sporterized 303 from a close friend. He left it beside the front door
when hunting in the AM. It was gorgeous. I was HOOKED by the age of 11 yo.

Jerry
Posted By: 30338 Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/17/21
Can't leave Lloyd at home. Couple of tags, see if I can get lucky again.
Well, been trying hard to get caught up but haven't made it yet.

That's GOOD. Keep em coming.

Jerry

I'm itching to get a Ruger RL Ultralight bloodied, that was rebarreled in 260Rem by McGowen. A Montana in 7-08 and a Savage 99F in 300Sav will also see plenty of time.

I'll also take dad's and grandpa's five diamond 760s in 35Rem and 300Sav for a few walks.
Didn't draw CO and took a PP for next year's hunt in WY. So I may just grab an OTC bull tag and join the hordes in Craig not really expecting much, or I might pull a leftover bear tag for Grand Mesa. If I'm going to do that I should get on it... two weeks left.

For Elk I'd bring the CZ 550 28 Nosler and M70 300 WSM. For bear, the same if spot and stalk or the .375 WSM and .50-110 if I'm thinking about predator calling.
Posted By: tzone Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/18/21
I have a few idlike to get deer with but not enough tags.

Kimber MT .223 everyone in my family has shot a deer with but me, grin , Christensen Arms .308 Win, M64 30-30, and .35 whelen 7600, and of course my .280 Rem M70 fwt.
The .270s come out to play this year. A tang safety Ruger and a Number One. Also may (finally) get the .375 H&H out. Those deer can be dangerous.
Haven’t hunted with this one in 6 years but going to this season.

Built by Robert Gradous
Caliber: 300 WSM
Action: Borden Alpine Magnum
Barrel: Rock Creek #3, 22.5"
Stock: McMillan Classic edge fill, OD green with black spec bedded
Trigger: Jewell
Mag: HS DBM
Scope Base: Murphy Precision
Rings: Seekins
Scope: VX6

Loaded some Barnes 130 TTSX at 3,539 fps @.471” at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Dre Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/18/21
Old faithful tikka 06
My daughter 270
I am toying with the idea to bring my dads m77 06 as he has no kills with it and would like to get blood on his rifle.
I will likely start with a 1978 Remington 700 Classic 30-06 I picked up this summer. After that maybe my 1936 Savage 99EG 300 Savage or 1952 Marlin 336RC 30-30. I would also like to kill one with my Howa Mini 7.62x39 this year. Thank goodness for long seasons and liberal limits in Alabama and a family that loves venison.
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/18/21
TnBB

I got to hunt Alabama 2 or 3 years in the 80s.
Had a friend in Andelusa with permission to hunt
a few properties.

Geography not that diff from S Ark. but A LOT of
deer. One trip in Jan. was COLD, -0 at night &
teens in daytime. Still killed deer.

Good Luck

Jerry
Originally Posted by Dre
Old faithful tikka 06
My daughter 270
I am toying with the idea to bring my dads m77 06 as he has no kills with it and would like to get blood on his rifle.

DRE, go get one with Dads rifle. Good luck.

Jerry
[quote=01Foreman400]Haven’t hunted with this one in 6 years but going to this season.

Built by Robert Gradous

S A W E E T !!

Good Luck

Jerry
Originally Posted by shootinurse
The .270s come out to play this year. A tang safety Ruger and a Number One. Also may (finally) get the .375 H&H out. Those deer can be dangerous.

I promise, I’d rather shoot a 375 HH than a
338 WM in a “tanger” 77. OUCHURT!!
BTDT, in both rifles.

Jerry
Originally Posted by tzone
I have a few old like to get deer with but not enough tags.

Kimber MT .223 everyone in my family has shot a deer with but me, grin , Christensen Arms .308 Win, M64 30-30, and .35 whelen 7600, and of course my .280 Rem M70 fwt.

Zone, now don’t let them out do ya.
Go get em.

Jerry
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

I'm itching to get a Ruger RL Ultralight bloodied, that was rebarreled in 260Rem by McGowen. A Montana in 7-08 and a Savage 99F in 300Sav will also see plenty of time.

I'll also take dad's and grandpa's five diamond 760s in 35Rem and 300Sav for a few walks.

Great plan. Hope it works out.

Jerry
Originally Posted by JustinL1
I believe for deer this year, I’ll be using a Model 700 LSS in 7 Remington. I haven’t killed anything with that yet so I’m hoping to put a few down with it. If I get out for bear- I’ll either take that out or maybe my CZ 550 in .375, just because. I’ve got about another 15 ready for back ups, so if something happens to either of them- I’m still good to go.

It might be even more if I keep looking in the classifieds on here and GunBroker late at night!

Man I love the looks of those 700 LSS. Good luck.

Jerry
Posted By: Dinny Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/18/21
My hope is that my son will shoot his first deer this year. He shoots a 357 Maximum H&R Handi rifle. I hope to shoot one with my 45 Colt H&R Classic Carbine using a 300gr XTP at 1500fps mv.

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Just two, a 25 year old .270 M70 Classic, and a much older Marlin 336SC 30/30. One or the other, both are "lucky" rifles for me.

If I get even lazier, I might try to stunt shoot one with my AR .223. It shoots plenty good enough, whether I have the confidence in doing so, I dunno yet. Missouri deer tend to be fat, and I'm not really confident in the .223 for a fat old buck.

Hey Rat, I had a Classic in 7 RM. Loved the looks & feel.
I was afraid of serious hunting it. I liked it too much and didn’t want to
mar the stock.

Good luck

Jerry
I’m not sure I can catch up but I’m trying.

Thanks Guys

Jerry
Polly for deer and annylopes, Percy for alks.....
I'll mostly be using ol' git meat, my Marlin 336 .30-30. My pre 64 model 94 will get some use too. Just recently fitted a new oversized locking block to tighten up headspace on the old girl and she's shooting fine. My Ruger 77 Hawkeye all weather .30-06 will likely get some use as well. Got 5 tags to fill for gun season so they may all get the chance to kill something.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Ain’t loonyism fun ? crazy grin

Jerry
. You got that right Jerry!...👍.....Hb
My son just bought a Remington 760 Carbine in 308 to go with his pre 64 model 70 Featherweight. 308. He should have a good season. He'll at least be armed about perfectly for PA
Mike

You've taught him well!!! LOL

Congrats & GOOD Hunting both of ya

Jerry
Originally Posted by 30338
Can't leave Lloyd at home. Couple of tags, see if I can get lucky again.

WHAM ! DANDY !

I've killed a lot of WT with MZLs and the 1st one I shot is mounted in my living room.
Mine's NOT that good but was worthy of mounting + 1st Mzld kill. (actually 1st one shot at too.)

Jerry
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
Haven’t hunted with this one in 6 years but going to this season.

Built by Robert Gradous
Barrel: Rock Creek #3, 22.5"
Stock: McMillan Classic edge fill, OD green with black spec bedded
Trigger: Jewell
Mag: HS DBM
Scope Base: Murphy Precision
Rings: Seekins
Scope: VX6

Nice rifle.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

No, I didn't skip you friend.

Why is that 70 Classic NOT a 270 ? huh ?

Honest handloaders know that 270= 280 & 280 = 270 ! whistle

just pulling a leg on a Friend. grin

Jerry
in nice weather it will be either my 7600 35 whelen carbine or 7600 35 rem carbine. for crap weather it will be my ruger frontier in 7/08.
[quote=Oregonmuley]This one - its been lucky for me so far smile

Nice 2 pt. Muley ? laugh

I've wanted to hunt speed goats but have not had the op. I've been within 30-30 range of some but NOT while hunting.

Thnx for the pic. Good one IMO.

Jerry
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Most likely my 338Fed but will always have me 7mm-08 as a back up.

Once the first one is down, and if the weather is good, I will use my inheirited Sav 1899 in 303SAV.

The 338 F intrigued me a few years but I don't hunt anything where 338 bullets are an advantage to me.
NO criticism. I appreciate the round.

Jerry
Originally Posted by rem141r
in nice weather it will be either my 7600 35 whelen carbine or 7600 35 rem carbine.

I see what you did there. grin grin

Jerry
Originally Posted by Puddle
As usual, I'm punting heading out to elk camp.

Taking a .26 CM/143 gr. Eld-X, a .30-06/180 gr. NPT, and a .366 Bock/232 gr. Oryx.

My son will likely grab the CM, but ya never know...

--------------------------

[quote=bsa1917hunter]Its always fun to take the new ones out into the field to see if they are lucky or not. Even though it is so tempting to just grab for the old tried and true, that you know is always ready to go.

Over the years I've had exceptional luck hunting a new or new to me rifle. I have to go thru pages of records to
count how many kills on 1st day to hunt one. Plenty.

Go Getem.

Jerry
[quote=hanco]Got a 99 being rebarreled to 338 Federal, hoping it gets here in time to use.

New to me 99’s in 358 and 284 to try out.

A new to me 30-06 to try also.

I’ll check zero on a couple Sako’s and a couple of Kleinguenthers also.

I’ll have more time next year to play with rifles, 105 days until I’m done.

-----------------------------

A 99 in 284 has been IN my bucket list for a long time. However a Friend "GAVE" me a custom 98 in 284 SO.....
what's to complain about?

Jerry
Deer - Manbun green stock fieldcraft. Bear - 06' fieldcraft.
Damn this thread is making me antsy
Originally Posted by goalie
Damn this thread is making me antsy

It's nice to have company, ain't it. grin

Jerry
Mike

You've taught him well!!! LOL

Congrats & GOOD Hunting both of ya

Jerry

Thanks. Good hunting to you as well Jerry
My inclement weather rifle for this season will be my 1884 Springfield Trapdoor faux carbine in of course 45-70 Gov't using my own handloads
Posted By: Nykki Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/18/21
My Husqvarna 06 for the open areas and the 444 Marlin for the heavy brush.

Jerry

I am currently without a .270.

I will remedy this as soon as I find a Kimber Classic Select I like

Jerry

WTF! grin

Man…. I’d darned near be combat ineffective without at least one of them.
Just depends on which stand I intend to hunt

Well friend that’s your own fault. whistle

You HAD a 270 that some LUSTED after.
Ask me how I know. blush

But you didn’t keep it. shocked

Seriously, if I had a 280 that I liked , I wouldn’t worry about
a 270. Truth.

Jerry

Ask me how I know. blush

a 270. Truth.

Jerry

That's the reason I sold it Jerry, it never went out with me.

I always reached for the .280!
275 Rigby.

This year it looks like muzzleloader and archery other than coyotes and hogs.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
275 Rigby.

Beautiful
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by SuperCub
275 Rigby.

Beautiful

And SWEET

Jerry
Savage 99 model f 308 I haven’t used since I was 17 because the safety quit working I figured that out this winter something simple and a new to me featherweight 270 I took a few times last year didn’t draw blood but others did
[quote=nyrifleman]Kimber Montana. 358 Winchester

Ask me how I know. blush

a 270. Truth.

Jerry

That's the reason I sold it Jerry, it never went out with me.

I always reached for the .280!
-----------------------------------------------

Fair Enough ! Thnx

Jerry
The easy choice, tikka 6.5 kreed wearing a 3-9x42 HD super chicken.

140gr amax or 143eldx
For Texas Whitetails and hogs at the ranch, A Blaser in 257 Weatherby I just got. Three shots in thumbnail size group. And maybe my Browning BAR in 270 Weatherby. Most of my shots are 150 yds or more and I prefer the 257. I have used others over the years. ( I am now 81) 7-08, 308, 25-06, 260, 243, 7mm Remington. I find I love the 257 Weatherby.
Originally Posted by cowboy77845
For Texas Whitetails and hogs at the ranch, A Blaser in 257 Weatherby I just got. Three shots in thumbnail size group. And maybe my Browning BAR in 270 Weatherby. Most of my shots are 150 yds or more and I prefer the 257. I have used others over the years. << ( I am now 81) >> 7-08, 308, 25-06, 260, 243, 7mm Remington. I find I love the 257 Weatherby.

And I thot I was old ! whistle laugh at 71 yo

Great selection

Jerry

Originally Posted by earlybrd
Savage 99 model f 308 I haven’t used since I was 17 because the safety quit working I figured that out this winter something simple and a new to me featherweight 270 I took a few times last year didn’t draw blood but others did

Uh Huh !! Nice

Jerry
Originally Posted by shaman

. . .and about 20 more that I could take. The last couple of years, I built a decision matrix in Excel to decide.

Geez man I’m going to have to quote Jerry Clower
“There’s people in this country taking simple things and making em complicated.”
Have you ever heard of flipping a coin? 🙄
Posted By: WAM Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/19/21
.300 Bee and 6.5-300 Bee for CO elk and deer. M77 .257 Roberts for local whitetail. Happy Trails
SuperCub, That rifle is amazing!!
I have that dilemma as well, I have several rifle I love to hunt with! I just try to match the rifle/ caliber to the game and terrain.

Best of luck this season!
Originally Posted by cowboy77845
For Texas Whitetails and hogs at the ranch, A Blaser in 257 Weatherby I just got. Three shots in thumbnail size group. And maybe my Browning BAR in 270 Weatherby. Most of my shots are 150 yds or more and I prefer the 257. I have used others over the years. << ( I am now 81) >> 7-08, 308, 25-06, 260, 243, 7mm Remington. I find I love the 257 Weatherby.

And I thot I was old ! whistle laugh at 71 yo

Great selection

Interesting, I developed from 8mm Rm -> 300 WM -> 7 mm RM....
so maybe if I live long enuff I’ll get to 257 Bee ? grin

Jerry
Originally Posted by WAM
.300 Bee and 6.5-300 Bee for CO elk and deer. M77 .257 Roberts for local whitetail. Happy Trails

Man that 6.5-300 Bee oughta be a whammer! whistle grin

Jerry
Originally Posted by klong67
I have that dilemma as well, I have several rifle I love to hunt with! I just try to match the rifle/ caliber to the game and terrain.

Very practical. I’m not familiar with that ! wink

Klong don’t be such a stranger. grin
Come play more often.

Jerry
No rifles this season . Maybe my shotgun, maybe nothing.
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by shaman

Geez man I’m going to have to quote Jerry Clower
“There’s people in this country taking simple things and making em complicated.”
Have you ever heard of flipping a coin? 🙄

So, you noticed.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Man I’m sorry. I can’t imagine ??

Better luck next year.

Jerry
jwall, I will try to do better smile
Originally Posted by klong67

Very practical. I’m not familiar with that ! wink

Klong don’t be such a stranger. grin
Come play more often.

We aren’t accustomed to ‘practical’ laugh

Jerry
Posted By: Mach3 Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/19/21
Tikka T3X Lite 270win for the thickets. Benelli Lupo 300 win mag for the fields
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/20/21
Mach3

A man after my own speed. GRIN

Jerry

Edit: thanks guys for your participation &
input.
Have a great season/s.
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/22/21
Mach3

A man after my own speed. GRIN

EDIT: thanks guys for your participation &
input.
Have a great season/s.

One decision has been made for my hunting 2021.

I don't have a rifle that I DON'T like !
I've killed deer in recent seasons with the 70, 6.5X55 and it works great w/120 NBT @ 3000 fps.

" " " " " " Custom 98 Mauser in 284 W, *** that was GIVEN to me by a 'fire' member. 139s @ 3000 fps is very close to
270 W with 140s @ 3000 fps. < which I have done >

" " " " " " " " Rem M Six in 30-06, 165 HBTSP @ 2900 fps. Fit and applicable for most N A game.

I've killed MORE deer with my Tikka T 3 Lite SS 270 Win. I'm not tired of it but it's a proven SLAYER.

I've killed 'some' deer with my Tikka T 3X Lite SS 7 RM... it's still in the running.

The ONE rifle that I like alot and have not hunted recently is my 70 Black Shadow in 300 WM.
It's not heavy and balances so well.

The higher scope mount keeps my head up and lessens felt recoil.

I hunted it exclusively 2008, 2009, & 2010..... that's 11 years back.
I had to DIG it out today.

I killed several WT those 3 seasons and THIS one is the FIRST deer I shot AT with it.

He weighed 194 #

He was only 180 yds but could have been out to 400.
He didn't go far and I'm GLAD. That's the 'exit' ?.. side -- fragments of 180 S Hot Cor. BAD LOT or....
EVERY deer I shot with those bullets had the same kind of 'exit' ? .

** I pulled those and stuffed GOOD 180 gr Spire Points..... Problem solved.

This one was 2010 - Look at EXIT HOLE.

The shot was not that high but in sliding him in the truck the hide rolled up.

SO.. one rifle that WILL hunt in 2021 is 70 Black Shadow, 300 WM !!!

NO I don't need a 300 WM.....But I LIKE it.

Jerry

AGAIN Thanks Guys
My Tikka M65 in 30-06 & and my handloads. Love my Mod 64 Win & peep in 30-30 when it's limited to short range heavy cover. Next year I'll have a new Rem 700 in 270 up and running. I don't need another rifle, but the Ruger #1 on the 1st page sure stirs my interest if I was to get another. Believe I'd like it in 270!
.260 Remingtons for both me and my youngest daughter. Mine is a MRC X2 and hers is a Tikka T3x Laminate. That Tikka laminate is a thing of beauty.
I am using Browning B78/ 270 wcf for Elk and Sheep.
I have a Browning takedown , a BLR/ .450 Marlin for a general carry, saddle rifle.
I also carry a Norinco, 12 ga/ 3" magnum for chicken, meat retrieval etc. it has a factory 12" barrel and will take down too.
A 7mm-08 Montana is the only rifle I need for anything I hunt, and I eat well.
Barret 270 win., Kimber Classic Select 257R.
My Savage 99F in .308 is tied with my left-hand Remington 700 also ,308 as my number one deer rifle.
In IL it's either my Savage 220 slug gun or my 54 cal round ball Hawken. In WI I'm thinking of taking my "Old Warrior" in 308 Norma Mag because it hasn't been used in too long and for back in the cedar swamp, my Ruger Redhawk in 41 Rem Mag.
An older Knight 50 caliber muzzleloader, and a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts.
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/25/21
Finally I made my 2nd Choice. The OP was on 9/16 and today's the 25th.

Going on the line of 'the least or longest' since I hunted or killed WT with a rifle, this is my Second Choice for 2021

My Model Six 30-06. I call it my 6 oh 6 (606). That pic was 11-12-16 which was Opening Day of modern gun season.
" I love it when a plan comes together". grin

This was 12-14-16

I had seen this 'FREAK' in Oct during Doe Only season and named him. He only had a long spike w/crooked eye guard on his left side. Dec 14 his 'little head' got his big head KILT.
He was pushing 1 of 2 Doe. I didn't watch long enuff to figure which one.

In the interim years I have hunted and killed with other rifles and rotated some. But this one hasn't been in the woods
since 2016.
On top of that the pump 30-06 reminds me of my Dad. smile

2021 -> 30 Cal. here we come. laugh

Jerry
I’ve got a couple new rifles in the stable, a Mauser M12 with a Steiner 2-10x and a Remington Model 7 Custom MS with a Leupold 2.5-8, both in .308, and both super accurate. I’m sure they will both get into the woods. My two favorites are an old Remington Model 7 FS with a Leupold 2-7 VX-R in 7mm-08, and a Remington M7600 Carbine in 30-06 with a Leupold 1.5-5. These two will be with me 90% of the time. I also like my Marlin levers a lot!! An 18” barrel Texan in 30-30, 336 in .35 Remington, and 1895G in .45-70, all with 1.5-5 Leupolds.
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/26/21
Originally Posted by miguel
I’ve got a couple new rifles in the stable, a Mauser M12 with a Steiner 2-10x and a Remington Model 7 Custom MS with a Leupold 2.5-8, both in .308, and both super accurate. I’m sure they will both get into the woods. My two favorites are an old Remington Model 7 FS with a Leupold 2-7 VX-R in 7mm-08, and a Remington M7600 Carbine in 30-06 with a Leupold 1.5-5. These two will be with me 90% of the time. I alsolike my Marlin levers a lot!! And 18” barrel Texan in 30-30, 336 in .35 Remington, and 1895G in .45-70, all with 1.5-5 Leupolds.

Alright, you may keep your loony card! laugh

Jerry
Posted By: JDK Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/26/21
Ruger M77 in 250 Savage
Remington 7600 carbine
Sako AII in 308

1885 Highwall chambered in 35 Whelen
my self i have ordered a new upper for the LR10 in 708 its a UPR10,not so sure its going to get here in time for the opener . in the meantime i am playing with a 762x39 right side charging upper set on a AR15 lower . its showing some promise
Originally Posted by jwp475

Allllright there jw.
I made a 35 W from a 760 35 Rem and it worked flawlessly, EVEN the same magazine. surprised me.

I like your idea. Good Luck

Jerry
Originally Posted by JDK
Ruger M77 in 250 Savage
Remington 7600 carbine
Sako AII in 308

Well, you have variety in rifles. I like that.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Docbar
An older Knight 50 caliber muzzleloader, and a Kimber Montana in 257 Roberts.

I used my Knight Wolverine 54 Cal last year for the first time in....uh....uh..I don't know how long. It still works.
Honestly, we have such a long M G season/s I stopped Mzl hunting before 2011 and I don't remember.

The Roberts in a Montana sounds SWEET.

Jerry
Posted By: hanco Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/26/21
Got a new 30-06 to try a couple of days ago, will try the load I’ve been using for 40 plus years, 59 grains of IMR 4350 and a 150 Nosler Partition. That load has shot well in a dozen rifles.

SHAZAAM !

My 35 Whelen is an 1885 Highwall that started life as a 30/06. I sent it to Jess Rebore to have it rebored to 35 Whelen with his 5 groove in a 10 twist. With 68 grains of Power Pro Varmint behind a 180 TTSX I'm getting 3231 FPS. With the 250 grain Hornaday with 64 grains of CFE223 I'm chronographing 2745.FPS. Groups at 200 are .5 MOA or slightly less.
The Highwall has a 28" barrel. With Barnes 180 TTSX advertised at 2900 FPS I'm getting 2971 FPS. Hornaday 200 grain Superformance factory load advertised at 2910 FPS clocks at 3026 FPS.

From the 35 W Thread here.

Jerry
Originally Posted by hanco
Got a new 30-06 to try a couple of days ago, will try the load I’ve been using for 40 plus years, 59 grains of IMR 4350 and a 150 Nosler Partition. That load has shot well in a dozen rifles.

You're as BORING as I am, LOL

I'll be using my 30-06 this season only with 165 HBTSP at 2900 fps. (H205 - my last can)

Good Luck

Jerry
I don't know yet.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I don't know yet.

YOU ? I'm disappointed. frown (frown) I thot you are an "on top of the situation" guy. grin

OTOH, I suspect you have the same problem I had. It'll come to you. smile

Thnx

Jerry
I didn't draw any tags here in New Mexico. So, if I can get a landowner tag or go to Texas I am S.O.L. for this fall/winter. Plus we have about 150 acres of cotton to pick so my time may be limited anyway.
I wish you luck Elks.

That’d be tough for me.

Jerry
First time in many years I have not drawn at least one tag.

There is still coyotes and quail to hunt this fall/winter.
No western tags drawn this year, so just chasing WT with bow, rifle and MZ on our place, and bow in TX over the holidays. For the plots, I’ll rotate between a Tikka T3x in 270wsm, 270wcf or an 06. For the woods, it will be a 7600 in 35 Whelen. If I still have a landowner doe tag, the last day of the season I’ll pack a 6.8 or 340wby (the wby is feeling neglected). These kind of choices are fun problems
Remington Model7 Predator in 243 and a Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen. I can’t wait!
Originally Posted by Whelenman

An old friend, who owns about 15 acres, said I can hunt if I want. Ya! 15 acres is much, but it’s a lot better that nothing! We’ll see how it goes!
Took my .35 Whelen to AK and killed a good bear...

Winchester .25-06 will be heading to Eastern MT in a couple weeks to fill an antelope tag...

Will be looking for Elk/Mulies with either my Ruger .300 WM or a Rem 700 in .30 Gibbs...

If I end up in the timber the Whelen will see action again...

I have a couple doe tags that might see me breaking out the T/C Contender Carbine in 7-30 Waters...
Posted By: hanco Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/27/21
Originally Posted by hanco

You're as BORING as I am, LOL

I'll be using my 30-06 this season only with 165 HBTSP at 2900 fps. (H205 - my last can)

Good Luck

Jerry

The young guys say IMR 4350 is an old man’s powder. I have a hard time trying another powder when the 4350 works so well. I have three other 06’s, sub inch in all of them.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/27/21

Jerry

Nope

Just one. Recent accusation, Savage AXIS II, 257 Roberts, 24" barrel, Leupold FX3 6X42. 115 NBT 45 gr. Hybrid 100V.

Backup if needed. Ruger Hawkeye UL 257 Roberts or Ruger Hawkeye all weather 308.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/27/21
The same 7mm-08 I've been hunting with for the last 10+ years, don't fix what ain't broke. A lot of rifles have come and gone during those years.

Lately been getting a little nostolgic and may have to take the Marlin 30-30 I shot my first deer with 30+ years ago with to the range and then in the woods.

In the thick woods an old Marlin 336 in 35 remington with a peep and post. Wet and nasty days and maybe over 100 yard shot in the woods a 308 Stainless SPS with barrel cut down to 20". As a guest at a buddys lease Heavy barrel 700 in 7 saum with 168 bergers.
I haven't chosen yet but for sure it'll be a vintage levergun. Leaning towards my 1894 .38-55 but have a couple 1895s that I'd like to take a deer with. I'll also take along a bad weather rifle, possibly my "covid project" .358 M70, for those inclement days I don't want to expose my vintage guns to..
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/27/21
Guys the answers are as varied as we are as individuals.
There are rounds mentioned I'd never consider AS...

the rounds I normally love and use are ignored.

We are Americans ! We have the RIGHT and privilege to use what WE choose.

Keep em coming.

Jerry
So far, 6 weeks into a 4.5 month rifle deer season, it's been the TC Icon weathershield 3006 topped with a Steiner GS3 2x10x42. 3 in the freezer so far as this combo is spot on.
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 09/28/21
Congrats SCgman.

Keep em falling.

Jerry
This year I’ll be carrying the rifle I won on GB my last night at camp last season. An intense game of rummy, alcohol, and one bar of phone service resulted in a six-digit Classic Stainless .300WSM getting re-homed.

Pickup Day:

Present Day:
Posted By: jwall Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 10/02/21
Alllright ! Very Nice.

Good Luck.

Jerry
Originally Posted by Jwood1284
This year I’ll be carrying the rifle I won on GB my last night at camp last season. An intense game of rummy, alcohol, and one bar of phone service resulted in a six-digit Classic Stainless .300WSM getting re-homed.

Pickup Day:

Present Day:

That’s a cool story! I believe I’ve had a couple under similar conditions. Great rifle as well.
Posted By: 79S Re: Which Rifles This Season ??? - 10/02/21
I moose hunted for 2days lol and I carried my 300 Weatherby in a model 70 stainless classic. I'm really slacking on moose hunting. Didn't even bother caribou hunting either..
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Jwood1284

Pickup Day:

Present Day:

That’s a cool story! I believe I’ve had a couple under similar conditions. Great rifle as well.

I remember when he posted pics of that rifle and the ungodly mounts and rings. Looks so much better with the DD's. Just sayin. I'm sure it is a lot less top heavy too.
© 24hourcampfire