Home
Posted By: Cowboybart Cleaning products - 09/18/21
I am just about out of my cleaning liquids and am wondering what you guys like, that works. I usually buy in quantity so the last time I purchased liquids was more than 15 years ago. What new stuff works??
I'm having difficulty removing copper from several used guns that I bought as well as some old standbys are giving me grief trying to get the moly, from the coated bullets, out.
Sweets has been my go to for a long time as well as Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner spray. Does anything work better?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
WipeOut. Montana Extreme.
Posted By: mathman Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Boretech mostly.

For those hard cases you mentioned I'd get out the JB.
Posted By: bmoney Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
I have Sweets 7.62 for copper remover and it has worked really well. For all other general cleaning I just do equal parts Kerosene, ATF and odorless mineral spirits.....modified Eds red. I made up a batch just for fun 10 years ago and it actually works awesome if you are doing a lot of cleaning.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Wipeout and Patchout!!!
Posted By: MadTrapper375 Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Boretech eliminator here too.
Posted By: woody1 Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
As above, Ed's Red and Sweets for the copper. Still have some Hoppes around but hardly ever use it except for nostalga.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Ed's Red for me + Barnes CR-10 for deep cleaning.

Ed Harris divulged the recipe to me a bazillion years ago over lunch. I mixed up a batch and never looked back. I'm now on my second gallon and thinking about the need for more. I mix it in a brown glass jug and dispense into small jars as needed.

Just as important is a good cleaning rod and jags, and patch material. (I used to buy white cotton flannel at fabric stores but then a few years ago I snagged three bolts of the stuff at a yard sale for $15. I think I'm good for the long haul now.)
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Boretech is my choice
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by MadTrapper375

THIS
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
+1 on Wipeout and Montana Xtreme
Posted By: GRF Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Another vote for wipeout
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by MadTrapper375

THIS

Me too.

If no copper fouling then I use Hoppes, mainly because I like the smell.
Posted By: Guybo54 Re: Cleaning products - 09/18/21
Wipeout is your friend! 😁
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Wipe out and a CLP of your choice I like ballistal Lucas oil and rem oil
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Wipeout or the KG Suite of cleaning solvents.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
For carbon I like Tetra foaming bore cleaner and KG-1. Between the two of them, carbon fouling goes bye-bye pretty fast. For copper I like Pro Shot copper remover.

Wipeout is also a nice product and attacks carbon and copper at the same time.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
I quit workin my arse off to get My rifle barrels clean when I started useing Wipe-out.....It's the easy way to get your copper fouled barrels squeeky clean 👍.....Good luck.....Hb
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I quit workin my arse off to get My rifle barrels clean when I started useing Wipe-out.....It's the easy way to get your copper fouled barrels squeeky clean 👍.....Good luck.....Hb

^^^This^^^
Posted By: kingston Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
I'm a big fan of Wipe-out liquid.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Wipe Out. Leave it in over night.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Wipe-Out works until it doesn't. I have a borescope and have found residue after repeatedly using wipeout . It finally came out with KG12.
Posted By: jermck Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Wipe Out Patch Out with Accelerator
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Checked several LGSs - not a single can of Wipe out or BoreTech. Now the online search begins with shipping fun.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Cleaning products - 09/19/21
Wipe Out and Bore Tech Carbon Eliminator if needed has been working well for me.
Posted By: LFC Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
I been using Shooters Choice for decades.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
Shooter’s Choice, Montana extreme and Wipeout.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
TAG
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
Kroil first for carbon, followed by WipeOut.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
Boretech eliminator cleans pretty quick for me, WO and KG12 is on the list to try!
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
Boretech here. Rods, jags, brushes, patches and solvent.

I use Eliminator for basic cleaning and CU+2, if necessary, to remove copper. After using CU+2, I would never use CR-10 or similarly strong smelling ammonia based solvents. Let the CU+2 sit for a while and do the heavy lifting.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
Butch's Bore Shine and Boretech Eliminator. G.I. surplus .30 cal. patch wrapped around a bronze brush. JB Compound mixed with Kroil for really dirty bores.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Cleaning products - 09/20/21
Originally Posted by MikeS
Wipe Out and Bore Tech Carbon Eliminator if needed has been working well for me.
Gun stores here and box stores quit carrying Wipe Out, so I’ve moved on to Boretech happy so far.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Cleaning products - 09/21/21
Patch Out. Used with their Accelerator if a quicker job is needed. Easy to find online, and Midway often runs free shipping
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Cleaning products - 09/21/21
I use Hoppe's to clean the barrel then I use Brasso on a nylon brush. I have started adding some Patch-out to the Brasso and dipping the brush into the Brasso and scrubbing the barrel a couple of times and letting it set for 30 minutes and then start taking the Brasso out with clean patches. I spray the inside of the barrel with brake cleaner to get all the Brasso out. I tried JB's bore paste but the Brasso was more convenient.

kwg
Posted By: Horseman Re: Cleaning products - 09/21/21
Have a tote full of bore cleaners but once I tried Boretech Eliminator I never wanted to used anything else. Extremely effective and fast.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21

Patch Out and Montana Xtreme.

They work pretty similar, just don't use the Montana Xtreme with the windows closed.........
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
I have read good things about Ballistol , but have never used it. Opinions on this, Thanks ,Joe
Posted By: mathman Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
It isn't a heavy duty cleaner.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
I like Sweets for copper. I set an alarm for 15 minutes and then give 10 to 12 scrubs and usually copper is all gone. Occasionally a rifle will need a second 15 minute scrub. Then one or two patches with Hoppes to remove all traces of Sweets, wipe out and then a light oil patch.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by KenMi
Patch Out. Used with their Accelerator if a quicker job is needed.

^^^^ This ^^^^ I have used Patchout with the Accelerator with very good results, no brush needed, just patches.

And in the event I can see a little copper in the barrel after this cleaning, a wet patch with Montana Extreme Copper Killer soaking the bore for about 15 minutes quickly eliminates it.

And as stated, don't use the Copper Killer with closed windows, and DON'T try to get your nose close to the open bottle to see how strong it is, it will burn your nostril. Don't ask me how I know this, LMAO.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by wink_man

And as stated, don't use the Copper Killer with closed windows, and DON'T try to get your nose close to the open bottle to see how strong it is, it will burn your nostril. Don't ask me how I know this, LMAO.

You too, eh?......lol.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by POKERFACE6
I have read good things about Ballistol , but have never used it. Opinions on this, Thanks ,Joe

Probably be just as good as Wesson Oil. Hickok45 sells a ton of the Ballistol snake oil if that tells you anything.

g
Posted By: pullit Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
Shooters Choice, Montana Extreme, and the foaming type (can't remember the name)
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
Montana extreme.
Follow directions.

Really aint no right or wrong choice.

All what works for you.
Posted By: hicountry Re: Cleaning products - 09/22/21
Boretech
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Cleaning products - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by POKERFACE6

Probably be just as good as Wesson Oil. Hickok45 sells a ton of the Ballistol snake oil if that tells you anything.

g

I lube ARs with Ballistol, and it works great in that role. Works fine as a lube and as a general rust inhibitor on receivers and barrel exteriors. I wouldn't personally rely on it as a bore cleaner. You can, however, stick an earplug in a barrel and fill it full of Ballistol for a week or so, to help loosen up crud in a badly fouled barrel, like an old milsurp.
Posted By: POKERFACE6 Re: Cleaning products - 09/23/21
Thanks for the information, everyone. Joe
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Cleaning products - 09/23/21
I use some homebrew variaion of Red Special my Dad came up with decades ago. The stuff will just about peel the armor off a battleship, but you have to make real sure none of it stays on wood or plastic for very long unless you like spots on your guns.

It's pretty cheap to make, per ounce if you buy the ingredients in large quantities. There's a lot of Red Special variant recipes online to try, I'd recommend trying a few.
Posted By: las Re: Cleaning products - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by woody1
As above, Ed's Red and Sweets for the copper. Still have some Hoppes around but hardly ever use it except for nostalga.

I have just enough Hoppes left for a dab behind the ears on occasion..... smile
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Cleaning products - 09/24/21
Originally Posted by Horseman
Have a tote full of bore cleaners but once I tried Boretech Eliminator I never wanted to used anything else. Extremely effective and fast.

And no foul odor!! Same with their CU+2.

No more CR-10, Butch’s Bore Shine or any other smelly, ammonia based solvents.
© 24hourcampfire