Home
Posted By: Windknot Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
Just got a Rem 700 in 270 Win at LGS, and it's in 95% condition, tickled to death! I've never dated a Rem, this is my first. Ser# RR00784A. According to what I read it's made in Nov 1997. It's got the white line spacing, engraving, jeweled bolt that I remember of Rem's of the 90's. Anyone care to confirm my date, it is kinda confusing the way you check?
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
Rr sn is much newer than late 90's
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
Barrel code of RR corresponds to nov ‘97 but as Mgw states, RR at the start of the sn indicates recent production.

Edit - ‘97 gun would *usually* be a “D” prefix unless stainless.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
Look to the left of the serial number about 3 or 4 inches and on the barrel you'll see 2 letters stamped on the barrel
Posted By: Windknot Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
The Ser # is actually on receiver, 1" to left on very back end barrel looks like cg
Posted By: okie john Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
An “RR” serial number prefix means it was made in the Huntsville, AL, plant. It opened in 2014.

Okie John
According to the way it reads on. RemingtonSociety.org. it's got to be Nov 97, but what do you guys think?
That may be, IDK, last on that site is G=2012
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
If the barrel code really is a CG then its April 2013 which would be about right with a action serial number starting with a RR.
I'm no Rem guru by no means, but I thought they got away from white line spacing lo g time ago?
Yes the barrel code is CG
Are you certain the barrel is original to the action?

This is an instance where a picture would truly be worth more … than the time you have spent so far! (grin)
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
Hang a pic..
I tried pics some time back, no success. I found some good info on accurate shooter. The barrel code indicates C=April and G=2012 or 1986. Did Rem make rifles with white line e spacing in 2012?
There is also screw holes for front and rear sight, screws in them
Posted By: Horseman Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
They made white line spacer BDL's from 1962 til right now. You said it had engraved receiver or as R called it "enhanced receiver". Those were lat 90's manufactured with rolled engraving on receiver. That engraving came out same time as RUM cartridges.
Originally Posted by Windknot
I tried pics some time back, no success. I found some good info on accurate shooter. The barrel code indicates C=April and G=2012 or 1986.

That’s true, but inconsistent with an RR prefix for SN.
I've never owned a rifle with a changed barrel, but this one certainly doesn't look like it's been changed. Seems a re-thread would show? And I haven't handled any newer Rems in last 20 years, except few Bolt Action 22's. This rifle reminds me of the Rems in the 80's, I've shot a few, but never owned one, and it's been a long time.
When I saw the white line spacing, I automatically thought 80's maybe 90's?
Also has the black forend and grip cap with whiteline spacing.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
Mybe the stock isn't original to the barreled action. Older recycled stock on a newer barreled action?
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Hang a pic..

This .

OP, can you text a pic?
I’ll post it for you. PM if so.
One thing that makes me not want to believe that? There's another at the gunshop in 25-06, made just like it best I could tell, and from the same seller.
I found a pic on a article by outdoor life, 50 year history of the 700, shows the evolution of it. The pic of the 69 BDL, the stock is identical, checkered and all.
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
RR#.... are certainly a newer manufacture.
Does it have one of those stupid QR codes on it ?
The Ser # is actually on receiver

Yep that's where it belongs.. haha
One thing that makes me not want to believe that? There's another at the gunshop in 25-06, made just like it best I could tell, and from the same seller.
I found a pic on a article by outdoor life, 50 year history of the 700, shows the evolution of it. The pic of the 69 BDL, the stock is identical, checkered and all.

It’s a stock photo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

AKWolverine, I tried to PM you, but it said you were over limit. I can text pics if you PM me a phone number?
QR Code? Where are they?
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
I own zero Remingtons. But damned if y'all haven't peaked my curiosity now. 😂😇 Awaiting pics and final verdict...
Mine does look identical to the pic of a recent 700 BDL. I would like to know the manufacture date tho? Rem codes leave a lot to question compared to Win and others. By everything I've read it could be a 1986, 97, or 2012??? I'm certainly leaning toward a more recent manufacture now?
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
Anyone think we'll ever see the day again when you could call Remington with the SN and they'd date your firearm for you? Although, they weren't always correct, they were right the majority of the time.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
FWIW......as others have said, the RR prefix in the serial number has nothing to do with the date of manufacture. The 2 letters that are stamped on the barrel tell you that. I have seen quite a few of the 700 BDL's made in recent years that had the "look" of the ones made back 25-30 years ago. If the rifle has a CG stamp on the barrel, and an RR prefix to the serial number, then that rifle is was made in 2012.
Jj, I believe you are correct. Regardless, I'm certainly glad to get the rifle! I was never interested in a 270 until last 6 months. I've got 30-30, 30-06, 7.62x54R, so I'm obviously a fan of 308, and and had been keeping my eye out for a 308. But I was ready to try a 270, and just hope I get the accuracy I expect? If so, it's found a home! I'm a gun shooter, hunter, not trader.
The first 2 guns I bought when I went to work in 1977, first payday a Remington, 3rd payday a marlin, and few weeks later I traded it to a Remington. Last Remington ever bought. Since then it's been all Win, marlin, & Tikka. The whiteline spacing sure made me believe it was pre 2000, but obviously I was wrong.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
I wouldn't worry in the least about when it was made, as I have a number of newer Remington 700's and 7's, and they shoot just as good, if not better, than my older ones do. If you're happy, then that's all that matters. In the 270, you have what is probably the best deer cartridge ever, at least in my opinion.

One last thing, unless the trigger has been changed, the older 700's will have the Walker trigger, with the grooves. The newer ones will be smooth, and probably have that stupid screw showing.
AKWolverine, I tried to PM you, but it said you were over limit. I can text pics if you PM me a phone number?
QR Code? Where are they?

Its an ugly little square that is a full of little dots. Can be scanned by computer or smart phone to get product info. Without looking it up I don't know the "techy" terms or definition of it.
Mbh, nothing like that, only other mark is on right side barrel, an oval with rep inside and h on outside, and behind that a triangle with a T inside. That's it.
Jj, it does have the slick trigger with a screw in the upper part for I believe an Allen head. Great trigger as is, maybe slightly heavy, but no creep or slop and breaks crisp! Hard to tell until I get behind a scope, but I believe I like it better than my Tikka?

I sure do thank you all for your help! I can't stand to have a gun I know nothing about.
Posted By: las Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/21/21
270 bullets just bounce off game - you know that, right? smile
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/22/21
The REP in the oval on the right side of the barrel stands for Remington English Proof.
With a barrel code of CG, the C is for April (BLACKPOWDERX for the month) and the G could be 1938, 1960, 1986 or 2012. Given that it has the X-Mark trigger you’re looking at April, 2012.
In some years there are three letters so as not to be confused with previous years.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/22/21
According to the way it reads on. RemingtonSociety.org. it's got to be Nov 97, but what do you guys think?

You're reading the serial number instead of the barrel code. The barrel code will tell what month and year the barrel was made, and be very close to when the rifle was assembled.

As mentioned, RR prefix on the serial number is in the last 5-6 years of production.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Anyone think we'll ever see the day again when you could call Remington with the SN and they'd date your firearm for you? Although, they weren't always correct, they were right the majority of the time.

I sure hope that comes to pass......
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/22/21
Posted By: Windknot Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/22/21
Thanks to AKwolverine for posting my pics! Whew, 24 hours Kaos just figuring out D.O.M. for a rifle that's less than 10 years old! Winchester's 110 years old are no problem. I can pick up an old Mod 94, and probably tell within 5-10 years upon sight, and it's that easy for all their rifles with a little study, and look how many different models they made! The 700 is one model and less than 60 years old! No wonder they went bankrupt! --m shame for such a great rifle!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]online photo hosting
Posted By: Windknot Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/22/21
That rails coming off. Gonna use Weaver style 2 piece bases, and probably use some Weaver Grand Slam steel rings I already have. Probably put the same scope I have on my Tikka, a Burris Fullfield E1 3-9×40. I'm liking this scope a lot for the money.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Rem 700 D.O.M.? - 09/22/21
AKWolverine: Need to send you a PM; you're over your limit. Clean-out your inbox, lol.
© 24hourcampfire